Kaia Kanepi Cheering Thread!!! - Page 176 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 7th, 2014, 07:50 AM   #2626
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kaia Kanepi Cheering Thread!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muusa View Post
For example from Einmann to Eenmaa or just purely through translation like Grauberg to Hallimäe etc.
I understand the translation but from Einmann to Eenmaa, what exactly is more Estonian about the name? I mean most Estonian names have some German in them

Kaia hit 24 Aces (the WTA record) vs Safarova Tokyo Round 1 2008
chingching is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 7th, 2014, 11:21 AM   #2627
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute

OK now for my report on Kaia's match vs Victoria Duval

Basically, I was very pleasantly surprised to see Kaia play live. Aside from a few errors she played a very solid match. She was by far the hardest hitter especially on her Forehand of all the women I saw and she played like a Top 10. Her Forehand is AMAZING live. It has this perfect arc from whatever shot is hit whether it be off a slice, a deep ball or a serve. She hits it very hard about a metre over the net but the topspin brings it back in and she can literally hit it everywhere on the court with amazing accuracy. She was massively dictating even Duval's 1st Serve with it hitting the lines everywhere, maintaining amazing depth: even Duval's mother was in awe! Another part of her game which I don't think we realise watching streams and her matches on TV is that she actually defends and turns defence into attack a lot and very well. She replied all of Duval's attacking shots very well and deep and rarely allowed her to get a short ball: I used to think this was because she was always attacking but that's not the case. If I had any comments, I think the three thing Kaia needs to work on are her shot-selection, moving forward more and a higher 1st Serve percentage. Although her 2nd Serve was faster and more consistent than Ducal's first, against top players she needs to make more 1st Serves. There were times where I felt she was hitting it unnecessarily hard in the corners where if she took even as much as 20 or 30 KMH off she would still get an Ace or an un-returnable. Also, in key situations she tends to try and just use pace on her serve and hit it in the middle of the box which meant she got a lot more serves in when it mattered (quite surprising for Kaia) but against top players they would be able to use the pace to get the 1st strike in the point because the likes of Sharapova and Williams would not have been put off by the 180KMH serves into their strike zones. The 2nd thing, her moving forward, is something she does well and should do more IMO. It's not just about moving to the net but standing further up the court. She actually stands very far back but due to her power of shot and the topspin she generates she is able to hit a penetrating ball, even winners, from metres behind the baseline. This is a wonderful achievement and can be beneficial for retrieving more balls and staying in rallies longer, but IMO she should stand further up. In the 2nd Set she was starting to lose depth and Duval was using Kaia's pace to hit more angles which meant that Kaia was having to move in awkward directions. Also if she stood further in the court she could shorten points and give her opponents less time. What she does instead is wait for the ball to come to her which meant that although against Duval she was still winning the points, she was winning them in 8 or 9 shots instead of the 1-2 punches she definitely has the game to achieve. Shot selection is my last comment. Although Kaia doesn't really hit the wrong shot too often, I feel that her winners are too predictable. If she gets a slower ball she will always flatten it out, hit it hard into the space. I think this is one of the reasons she lost against Kerber, a wonderful counter-puncher. She doesn't go back behind enough and sometimes just chooses to use pace instead of hitting an angle or approaching net with a slice. She also has a very defined pattern to her points which even I managed to read where she will always hit across her body so if she is having a BH to BH rally she will keep doing that until Duval hit a centralish ball then hit a Forehand to Duval's FH corner. She did this almost every point in same way or another. I would recommend maybe throwing in a shot DTL which although is more risky stops her opponent getting the rhythm that she was thriving on in the 2nd. These are all minor things though and on the whole Kaia put in a wonderful performance and I really want to see her play live again My photos which follow are not great due to where I was sitting, the camera I was using and the angle of the sun Also, I was very disgusted at the lack of people there. The Court she was on only seats 180 People and I would have been surprised if 100 were there. Stupid Sydneians

While writing this report I decided to open a flickr account so I will upload pictures of Kaia there in the future It is called chingchingtennis

Old Jan 7th, 2014, 11:33 AM   #2628
country flag hardball

hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingching View Post
How would someone "Estonianise" a name. I mean what makes it more Estonian?
michael or mihhail becomes mihkel for instance. have a look at this: http://palun.blogspot.com/2007/07/eesti-nimed.html
hardball is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 11:36 AM   #2629
country flag hardball

hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold hardball is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardball View Post
kerber is left-handed, that's why. i don't think she would admit to it, but kaia's record vs top lefties is no good. losing H2H against makarova and kvitova as well.

I expected a tougher match b/w these two. too bad kaia is out already. on the positive side she now can focus on the AO.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
one should add safarova to this list. not ideal opponents for kaia.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 12:32 PM   #2630
country flag hardball

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingching View Post
OK now for my report on Kaia's match vs Victoria Duval

Basically, I was very pleasantly surprised to see Kaia play live. Aside from a few errors she played a very solid match. She was by far the hardest hitter especially on her Forehand of all the women I saw and she played like a Top 10. Her Forehand is AMAZING live. It has this perfect arc from whatever shot is hit whether it be off a slice, a deep ball or a serve. She hits it very hard about a metre over the net but the topspin brings it back in and she can literally hit it everywhere on the court with amazing accuracy. She was massively dictating even Duval's 1st Serve with it hitting the lines everywhere, maintaining amazing depth: even Duval's mother was in awe! Another part of her game which I don't think we realise watching streams and her matches on TV is that she actually defends and turns defence into attack a lot and very well. She replied all of Duval's attacking shots very well and deep and rarely allowed her to get a short ball: I used to think this was because she was always attacking but that's not the case. If I had any comments, I think the three thing Kaia needs to work on are her shot-selection, moving forward more and a higher 1st Serve percentage. Although her 2nd Serve was faster and more consistent than Ducal's first, against top players she needs to make more 1st Serves. There were times where I felt she was hitting it unnecessarily hard in the corners where if she took even as much as 20 or 30 KMH off she would still get an Ace or an un-returnable. Also, in key situations she tends to try and just use pace on her serve and hit it in the middle of the box which meant she got a lot more serves in when it mattered (quite surprising for Kaia) but against top players they would be able to use the pace to get the 1st strike in the point because the likes of Sharapova and Williams would not have been put off by the 180KMH serves into their strike zones. The 2nd thing, her moving forward, is something she does well and should do more IMO. It's not just about moving to the net but standing further up the court. She actually stands very far back but due to her power of shot and the topspin she generates she is able to hit a penetrating ball, even winners, from metres behind the baseline. This is a wonderful achievement and can be beneficial for retrieving more balls and staying in rallies longer, but IMO she should stand further up. In the 2nd Set she was starting to lose depth and Duval was using Kaia's pace to hit more angles which meant that Kaia was having to move in awkward directions. Also if she stood further in the court she could shorten points and give her opponents less time. What she does instead is wait for the ball to come to her which meant that although against Duval she was still winning the points, she was winning them in 8 or 9 shots instead of the 1-2 punches she definitely has the game to achieve. Shot selection is my last comment. Although Kaia doesn't really hit the wrong shot too often, I feel that her winners are too predictable. If she gets a slower ball she will always flatten it out, hit it hard into the space. I think this is one of the reasons she lost against Kerber, a wonderful counter-puncher. She doesn't go back behind enough and sometimes just chooses to use pace instead of hitting an angle or approaching net with a slice. She also has a very defined pattern to her points which even I managed to read where she will always hit across her body so if she is having a BH to BH rally she will keep doing that until Duval hit a centralish ball then hit a Forehand to Duval's FH corner. She did this almost every point in same way or another. I would recommend maybe throwing in a shot DTL which although is more risky stops her opponent getting the rhythm that she was thriving on in the 2nd. These are all minor things though and on the whole Kaia put in a wonderful performance and I really want to see her play live again My photos which follow are not great due to where I was sitting, the camera I was using and the angle of the sun Also, I was very disgusted at the lack of people there. The Court she was on only seats 180 People and I would have been surprised if 100 were there. Stupid Sydneians
keeping points short and hitting 180km/h first serves used to be kaia's thing for a long time, but since her one-two punch game used to be too erratic she's become more patient. as a result, her winner/ ue ratio has improved. she also seems to rely more on spin now than earlier in her career and her first serve % has probably improved, however, her serve is not as effective a weapon as it used to be.

she tends to be a bit one-dimensional indeed, but at 28 years of age it's tough to change your style of play, particularly if touch and all-court skills are lacking a bit. then again most women are not blessed with the kind of power and topspin that kaia has. i think kaia should stick to her guns but keep her head cool when facing high-caliber or uncomfortable opponents.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 12:41 PM   #2631
country flag chingching

Quote:
keeping points short and hitting 180km/h first serves used to be kaia's thing for a long time, but since her one-two punch game used to be too erratic she's become more patient. as a result, her winner/ ue ratio has improved. she also seems to rely more on spin now than earlier in her career and her first serve % has probably improved, however, her serve is not as effective a weapon as it used to be.

she tends to be a bit one-dimensional indeed, but at 28 years of age it's tough to change your style of play, particularly if touch and all-court skills are lacking a bit. then again most women are not blessed with the kind of power and topspin that kaia has. i think kaia should stick to her guns but keep her head cool when facing high-caliber or uncomfortable opponents.
I am not saying that she should go for the one two punch all the time but there are times where she could take balls out of the air or just earlier and could hit a winner. She hits as hard as Sharapova and Williams but because they stand so much farther up the court they take time away from their opponents, hence their better results vs the likes of Wozniacki, Radwanska and Kerber.

As for being one-dimensional, Kaia has the shots, in particular her Drop Shot and Slice, but she just chooses not to use them. I also think she should use her heavy topspin moonballs more like she did vs A-Rad and Woz in Brussels and RG 2012 On these Hardcourts and going into the clay season it is a great way for her to push her opponents back and attack

99.9% of her performance was amazing, I was just saying little things that she may want to eork on. BTW, is her coach still Ojasalu? I don't think she had one here Also I think the hooligans stayed behind this year I wanted to join them

Last edited by chingching : Jan 7th, 2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 04:35 PM   #2632
country flag hardball

ojasalu? no, he was with her for european clay court season and RG 2012 as an assistant/ adviser, but thereafer he had a minor stroke. kaia does not really have a formal coach, has not had one since she parted ways with silver karjus. when training at home she is coached by märten tamla. märten previously coached kontaveit for a couple of years. märten's definitely a good coach, but he's rather young. i guess märten accompanies kaia in the european part of the tour but not overseas.

over the years kaia has had many coaches, both foreign and local. my opinion is that kaia needs a seasoned coach to take her to the next level, but apparently it's hard to find a good coach.

Old Jan 7th, 2014, 07:14 PM   #2633
country flag chingching

Quote:
ojasalu? no, he was with her for european clay court season and RG 2012 as an assistant/ adviser, but thereafer he had a minor stroke. kaia does not really have a formal coach, has not had one since she parted ways with silver karjus. when training at home she is coached by märten tamla. märten previously coached kontaveit for a couple of years. märten's definitely a good coach, but he's rather young. i guess märten accompanies kaia in the european part of the tour but not overseas.

over the years kaia has had many coaches, both foreign and local. my opinion is that kaia needs a seasoned coach to take her to the next level, but apparently it's hard to find a good coach.

I knew Tamla had her last year but I presumed she dumped him when he wasn't here... I am sure someone would want to coach her given her potential...

Old Jan 10th, 2014, 05:02 AM   #2634
country flag muusa

muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold

Kaia's draw:

Kanepi (24) - Muguruza
Babos - Schmiedlova
McHale - Chan
Dominguez-Lino - Wozniacki (10)
muusa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 06:13 AM   #2635
country flag kaiafan

kaiafan is a splendid one to behold kaiafan is a splendid one to behold kaiafan is a splendid one to behold kaiafan is a splendid one to behold kaiafan is a splendid one to behold kaiafan is a splendid one to behold kaiafan is a splendid one to behold kaiafan is a splendid one to behold kaiafan is a splendid one to behold kaiafan is a splendid one to behold kaiafan is a splendid one to behold

Muguruza I don't know if Cabeza Candela is too bad today but Garbine is up a bagel and and 2 games against her just in 25 minutes,so she could be in some good form. But I don't think Kaia will have a problem against her. I actually can see her reach QFs beating Wozniacka and Radwanska. She sure is capable to do it and they're not at all playing their bests nowadays.

GL Kaia!
kaiafan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 08:02 AM   #2636
country flag WhoAmI?

WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute

Kaia really has a nice draw, I mean it could have been much worse. Wozniacki is beatable, but she has never won against Radwanska. Though, it's pointless to look too much ahead. Muguruza seems to be in good form, and could be a real challenge.
WhoAmI? is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 01:55 PM   #2637
country flag Ollie.

Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute

Garbi in R1.

Rybarikova _ Hradecka _ K.Bondarenko _ Kleybanova _ Flipkens _ Govortsova _ Krajicek _ Martic _ Cetkovska _ Rezai _ Peer _ Begu _ Dulgheru _ Arvidsson _ Larsson _ Goerges _ Mattek-Sands _ Scheepers _ Peng _ Minella _ Puchkova _ Voegele _ Laine
Ollie. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 05:58 PM   #2638
country flag Tennisfan06

Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute

Muguruza is definitely one of those dangerous unseeded players in the draw. She had a long injury break but has already made it to the final in Hobart, beating her opponents quite easily
Still, if Kaia plays OK, she should win.
Tennisfan06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 04:22 AM   #2639
country flag chingching

Kaia can and should beat Muguruza if she plays well however it is a possibility she will bomb out. If she gets to Woz she should win and she can beat A-Rad IMO... If she makes 3rd/4th Round I will see her play

Old Jan 11th, 2014, 08:09 AM   #2640
country flag Tennisfan06

Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute

Muguruza won the Hobart title, destroying Zakopalova in the final. She has been very impressive the whole week, Kaia can't have a bad day if she wants to beat her
Tennisfan06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote