Stanford's Amber Liu begins quest for third singles title - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 25th, 2006, 04:08 PM   #1
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Stanford's Amber Liu begins quest for third singles title

STANFORD, Calif. (AP) - Stanford's Amber Liu began her quest for an unprecedented third NCAA singles title with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Marianna Yuferova of Virginia Commonwealth in the first round of the men's and women's national championships Wednesday.

In other first-round matches, women's top seed Audra Cohen of Miami cruised to a 6-3, 6-0 win over Long Beach State's Hannah Grady, while No. 2 seed Kristi Miller of Georgia Tech was pushed to three sets by Pepperdine's Bianca Dulgheru before winning 6-2, 3-6, 6-3.

Fourth-seeded Zuzana Zemonova of Baylor also won her match, while Vanderbilt's Taka Bertrand upset fifth-seeded Zsuzsanna Fodor of California 6-2, 6-3.

On the men's side, top seed Benjamin Kohlloeffel from UCLA beat Florida's Vladimir Obradovic 6-2, 6-4; No. 2 John Isner of Georgia beat Minnesota's D.J. Geatz 7-5, 6-3; No. 3 Luigi D'Agord of Miami beat Alex Skrypko of Southern Methodist 6-1, 6-2; Pepperdine's Pedro Rico upset No. 4 Lars Poerschke of Baylor 6-4, 6-7 (2), 7-5; and No. 5 Ludovic Walter of Duke advanced when Baylor's Michal Kotka retired in the first set trailing 4-1.

Liu, who won titles in 2003 and 2004 before a shoulder injury knocked her out of last year's national tournament, had an easy time against Yuferova. Liu won the first set handily, then broke the VCU freshman's service twice in the second set before closing out the match with a crosscourt winner.

"The first round is always the toughest, especially after a team final," said Liu, who on Tuesday helped the Cardinal win their 15th national team title. "It would have been harder if we would have lost. Sometimes it's a little anti-climatic if you win."

Liu's quest for a third individual title puts her in rare company. Only four other players have won two, including Patty Fendick (1986-87), Sandra Birch ('89, '91) and Laura Granville (2000-01) from Stanford. Florida's Lisa Raymond (1992-93) also won two national championships.

Isner extended his winning streak to 29 matches while improving to 44-2 this season following his first-round win. The 6-foot-9, 200-pound junior rebounded after Georgia lost in Tuesday's team championship to Pepperdine, the Bulldogs' first loss of the season.

That ended Isner's quest for college tennis' triple crown - national titles in team, singles and doubles. The second seed in singles, Isner and teammate Antonio Ruiz begin defense of their 2005 doubles crown on Thursday following Isner's second-round singles match against Arizona's Roger Matalonga, a straight-set winner over Texas' Roger Gubser.

"I definitely didn't sleep too well thinking about what if," said Isner, the SEC's player of the year, who complained of a sore biceps in his win over Geatz. "It was very tough. I was a little sluggish in the beginning. But I've got to change gears. It's going to be a lot of wear and tear on my body but I'll take care of myself."
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #2
country flag selesbooz

selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future
Is it me or are most of these kids non-Americans
selesbooz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #3
country flag Purple Rainbow

Purple Rainbow is a name known to all Purple Rainbow is a name known to all Purple Rainbow is a name known to all Purple Rainbow is a name known to all Purple Rainbow is a name known to all Purple Rainbow is a name known to all Purple Rainbow is a name known to all Purple Rainbow is a name known to all Purple Rainbow is a name known to all Purple Rainbow is a name known to all Purple Rainbow is a name known to all
Can you care less than not at all?
Purple Rainbow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 04:28 PM   #4

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Rainbow
Can you care less than not at all?
Then don't post in the thread if you could care less...simples as that.
Old May 25th, 2006, 04:32 PM   #5
country flag Ellery
It's like cool epilepsy.

Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute
Go Amber
Ellery is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 04:35 PM   #6
country flag udachi Elena

udachi Elena is a name known to all udachi Elena is a name known to all udachi Elena is a name known to all udachi Elena is a name known to all udachi Elena is a name known to all udachi Elena is a name known to all udachi Elena is a name known to all udachi Elena is a name known to all udachi Elena is a name known to all udachi Elena is a name known to all udachi Elena is a name known to all
Audra is American and she's gonna win!! She beat Liu before she can do it again!!!
Go Audra!!

"I only have one good day every week -- otherwise I would be number one already."
-Elena Dementieva- Tokyo Champ 2006

Я никогда не стремилась стать первой ракеткой России. Моя цель - быть лучшей в мире. - Elena

GO ELENA!!!!

Gooo Martina! (just don't beat Elena)
Sometimes you get a sense of what moments can turn crucial, so you hold on them with all your might. You say to yourself, 'DIE, BUT WIN THIS POINT!' " by Elena DEMENTIEVA

15 October 1981
udachi Elena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #7

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellery
Go Amber

Old May 25th, 2006, 06:13 PM   #8
country flag bis2806

bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute
Yay Amber Also, all 5 Cardinals advanced to the second round.
bis2806 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 06:18 PM   #9
country flag bis2806

bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute bis2806 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by selesbooz
Is it me or are most of these kids non-Americans
I agree that colleges tend to recruit players from other countries. For example, Alice Barnes of Stanford, and a friend of mine Dominic Inglot, recruited by the UVA tennis team (he was the double stuntman in the movie "Wimbledon"), are both from England and playing for the top teams in the nation. His teammates Somdev Devarmann [seeded in the NCAA] and Marko Miklo are from India and Slovakia respectively. I know that three girls in the Harvard team is from other countries too. But, uhm, Amber is American.
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:39 PM   #10
country flag udachi Elena

udachi Elena is a name known to all udachi Elena is a name known to all udachi Elena is a name known to all udachi Elena is a name known to all udachi Elena is a name known to all udachi Elena is a name known to all udachi Elena is a name known to all udachi Elena is a name known to all udachi Elena is a name known to all udachi Elena is a name known to all udachi Elena is a name known to all
for more on this.. read the last page of the tennis magazine with hingis on the front

"I only have one good day every week -- otherwise I would be number one already."
-Elena Dementieva- Tokyo Champ 2006

Я никогда не стремилась стать первой ракеткой России. Моя цель - быть лучшей в мире. - Elena

GO ELENA!!!!

Gooo Martina! (just don't beat Elena)
Sometimes you get a sense of what moments can turn crucial, so you hold on them with all your might. You say to yourself, 'DIE, BUT WIN THIS POINT!' " by Elena DEMENTIEVA

15 October 1981
udachi Elena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #11
country flag Cat's Pajamas
A Young Troubadour.

Cat's Pajamas has a reputation beyond repute Cat's Pajamas has a reputation beyond repute Cat's Pajamas has a reputation beyond repute Cat's Pajamas has a reputation beyond repute Cat's Pajamas has a reputation beyond repute Cat's Pajamas has a reputation beyond repute Cat's Pajamas has a reputation beyond repute Cat's Pajamas has a reputation beyond repute Cat's Pajamas has a reputation beyond repute Cat's Pajamas has a reputation beyond repute Cat's Pajamas has a reputation beyond repute
too bad Amber has done virtually nothing on the pro circuit
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:12 PM   #12
country flag bis2806

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat's Pajamas
too bad Amber has done virtually nothing on the pro circuit
Well she has been a college student since 2002 and when she graduates, she told me she's planning to enter the pro circuit. Remember she took off 5 games off Kim when she was a rising sophomore!
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:58 PM   #13
tennis_pIayer

tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all
AMber had better form as a soph than now as a senior. her game has gone down a little bit, her forehand not as creative, and her serve definitely shakier.

the faves for the womens tournament are cohen, bercek, miller and barnes.

But watch out for Fink and nelson from SoCal and also Uvarova from VCU. i see them going far. I pick nelson to upset cohen whenthey play in rd 16
tennis_pIayer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 09:07 PM   #14
vogus

vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute
Amber Liu doesn't even have the game to succeed on the challenger circuit, let alone the WTA tour. She would not be able to break the Top 200 if she were a full time WTA player. Women's NCAA tennis is weaker now than it was in the past, and it was never really strong. And there are so many foreign kids taking the scholarships now that it's more like a foreign educational aid program funded by the universities, than anything else.
vogus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 09:19 PM   #15
country flag bis2806

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis_pIayer
AMber had better form as a soph than now as a senior. her game has gone down a little bit, her forehand not as creative, and her serve definitely shakier.

the faves for the womens tournament are cohen, bercek, miller and barnes.

But watch out for Fink and nelson from SoCal and also Uvarova from VCU. i see them going far. I pick nelson to upset cohen whenthey play in rd 16
Cohen is now trailing 6-4 2-1 against Deason!!!