Wide-Open Women's Field for Roland Garros - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:32 PM   #1
country flag watchdogfish
Vide cor meum

watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute
Wide-Open Women's Field for Roland Garros

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/ten...ory?id=2454170

Wide-open women's field for French Open

By Bonnie DeSimone
Special to ESPN.com

It's obvious now, if it hadn't been before, that Martina Hingis deserves to be considered a contender in next week's French Open after hoisting the trophy in Rome on Sunday to celebrate The First Title of The Rest of Her Career.

Hingis, who rose to No. 14 in this week's WTA Tour rankings, shares something important with the majority of top-ranked women expected to make appearances at Roland Garros: She never has found a way to win there. The rejuvenated Swiss star was a finalist twice, losing to Iva Majoli in 1997 and to Steffi Graf in 1999.

Defending champion Justine Henin-Hardenne of Belgium, who also won in 2003, is the only healthy current top-10 player who has planted her flag in the red dirt.

Henin-Hardenne and surging No. 3 Nadia Petrova of Russia will be the two favorites going in. Petrova, the self-possessed daughter of two track and field Olympians, won a pair of titles on green clay in the United States (Amelia Island and Charleston) earlier this year and is playing, justifiably, with the most confidence of her career. She has split her last two matches with Henin-Hardenne on clay: a loss in the Fed Cup quarterfinals and a victory in the final in Berlin.

Amelie Mauresmo's inability to get past the quarterfinals in Paris in 11 previous tries has been well-chronicled, particularly by the French press corps. Le stress of playing in her backyard will only be heightened because she'll be playing there for the first time as the world No. 1. Mauresmo beat Hingis on clay in Berlin in a two-day quarterfinal suspended by darkness, then lost to Henin-Hardenne, her only two significant results on clay this season.

Two-time finalist and current No. 2 Kim Clijsters has played sparingly on clay this season but is 6-2, including a title in Warsaw -- her first on the surface in three years.

No. 7 Lindsay Davenport, who advanced to the semis at Roland Garros only once (1998), formally pulled out last week as she continues to nurse a bulging disk. Likely to join her on the list of absentees is No. 6 Mary Pierce, the 2000 French Open winner, who reached the final against Henin-Hardenne last year; a foot injury has idled her since February. No. 4 Maria Sharapova hasn't touched clay this season because of a foot problem, and her presence in Paris is questionable.

A couple of Petrova's fellow Russians are capable of making a racket. No. 8 Elena Dementieva was a finalist at Roland Garros in 2004, and 10th-ranked Svetlana Kuznetsova has been one of the most consistent players on clay this season.

Switzerland's No. 9 Patty Schnyder is the only top-10 player in action this week; she's the top seed in Strasbourg. Schnyder never has made much of a run in Paris, getting as far as the quarterfinals just once, in 1998.

Dark horses include 2004 champ Anastasia Myskina of Russia; Venus Williams, who lost in the 2002 final to sister Serena; and Dinara Safina, all of whom will try to step into the void left by clay-averse or otherwise missing players.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could this be the most open women's field for years? We should be in for quite an exciting and unpredictable tournament (hopefully!).
watchdogfish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:48 PM   #2
country flag alfonsojose

alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute
So nobody thinks than Mary and Maria will play. I think it would be smart from them both to do so
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:32 PM   #3
country flag CJ07

CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute
How on earth is Myskina a darkhorse? She'd be lucky to get past the 3rd round.
CJ07 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:36 PM   #4
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

A couple of Petrova's fellow Russians are capable of making a racket. No. 8 Elena Dementieva was a finalist at Roland Garros in 2004, and 10th-ranked Svetlana Kuznetsova has been one of the most consistent players on clay this season.

as much as I'd like it to be the truth, I politely disagree
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:37 PM   #5
country flag LH2HBH

LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by -SMM-
How on earth is Myskina a darkhorse? She'd be lucky to get past the 3rd round.

You're probably right as she is not playing her best tennis right now, but as a former champion who beat some good players in 2004 she still has to be considered a threat.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:42 PM   #6
country flag lucashg

lucashg has a brilliant future lucashg has a brilliant future lucashg has a brilliant future lucashg has a brilliant future lucashg has a brilliant future lucashg has a brilliant future lucashg has a brilliant future lucashg has a brilliant future lucashg has a brilliant future lucashg has a brilliant future lucashg has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenn_ace
as much as I'd like it to be the truth, I politely disagree
SF in Amelia Island, F in Warsaw, QF in Berlin, SF in Rome. I can't remember her result in Charleston. Isn't that consistent enough?

Justine Henin

Proud member of Justine's Philistines Society™
"There's a bit of Justine in all of us"
lucashg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:45 PM   #7
pierce0415

pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute
Mary is playing
pierce0415 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:50 PM   #8
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucashg
SF in Amelia Island, F in Warsaw, QF in Berlin, SF in Rome. I can't remember her result in Charleston. Isn't that consistent enough?
hmmmmm For me consistency is not what round a player reaches, but who the player loses

Amelia Island --- Fran
Warsaw --- Kim
Berlin --- JHH
Rome --- Dinara
Charleston --- ALG

Sveta should have beating all but Justine IMO to be called consistent.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:51 PM   #9
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute
The race is as wide-open as some actresses' legs in Hollywood!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:56 PM   #10
country flag mr_burns

mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of
How do you know that MAry will play

The only consitent playeron clay this year is Petrova, but it doesn't mean that much. Over the last years Amelie was one of the best on clay before Rg,but then..
mr_burns is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:59 PM   #11
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_burns
How do you know that MAry will play

The only consitent playeron clay this year is Petrova, but it doesn't mean that much. Over the last years Amelie was one of the best on clay before Rg,but then..
I remember one year, 95 or 96, Conchita won all the French Open warm-ups and then got smoked by Steffi in the semifinals.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:15 PM   #12
country flag j@zmin

j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
hmmmmm For me consistency is not what round a player reaches, but who the player loses

Amelia Island --- Fran
Warsaw --- Kim
Berlin --- JHH
Rome --- Dinara
Charleston --- ALG

Good point, but I think her lost against Kim is not bad because Kim is a top player (ranked 2), even if she has not been so consistent this year. Besides, Kim played great tennis in that match.
Other than that, I agree. A real contender for Roland Garros shouldn´t lose against Schiavone, Dinara or ALG.
j@zmin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:23 PM   #13
UDACHi

UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson
The race is as wide-open as some actresses' legs in Hollywood!
Like yours, Helen?

Myskina is maybe a darkhorse for like, QFs.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:27 PM   #14
country flag iPatty

iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Amelia Island --- Fran
Warsaw --- Kim
Berlin --- JHH
Rome --- Dinara
Charleston --- ALG

She didn't play a bad match against ALG, she was just outplayed. She was injured against Schiavone and had to retire, and her losses to Kim and Justine are not things to frown upon. Dinara was on a hot streak in Rome, so no shame in losing to her either.

Either way you spin the wheel, she's consistent.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:21 PM   #15
new-york
和平.

new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdogfish
This is taken from the Roland Garros website:

There's (always) something about Mary
Fate seems to be determined to deal Mary Pierce a cruel hand. Having finally got rid of the inflammation on her right foot which had been bothering her during the opening months of the season, last year's French Open finalist got back into full training, only to suffer another set-back. The world number six pulled an adductor muscle at the end of last week, and has been unable to train for the past three days. Mary is still hopeful of taking part in her favourite tournament, however.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/ne...388689977.html

Hope she will take part!