Laureus World Sports Awards: Hingis wins Comeback of the Year - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:51 PM   #1
country flag Muffin the Mule

Muffin the Mule is a splendid one to behold Muffin the Mule is a splendid one to behold Muffin the Mule is a splendid one to behold Muffin the Mule is a splendid one to behold Muffin the Mule is a splendid one to behold Muffin the Mule is a splendid one to behold Muffin the Mule is a splendid one to behold Muffin the Mule is a splendid one to behold Muffin the Mule is a splendid one to behold Muffin the Mule is a splendid one to behold Muffin the Mule is a splendid one to behold
Laureus World Sports Awards: Hingis wins Comeback of the Year

BARCELONA, May 22 (Reuters) - Roger Federer reasserted his status on top of the sporting world on Monday by again winning the Sportsman of the Year title at the Laureus World Sports awards on a big night for tennis.

Croatian skier Janica Kostelic took the women's prize after an unprecedented fourth Winter Olympic gold, while Federer's compatriot Martina Hingis won the Comeback of the Year award, a day after her first singles title success in over four years.

Spaniard Rafael Nadal, Federer's great rival, was named Newcomer of the Year after 12 months in which the 19-year-old was crowned French Open champion and became unbeatable on clay.

Formula One constructors Renault won the team award, offering some consolation to losing nominee Fernando Alonso, who became the sport's youngest-ever champion.

Along with Alonso, Federer beat off competition from seven-times Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong, Brazil's Ronaldinho, two-time winner Tiger Woods, and Italian motorcycle champion Valentino Rossi, who picked up a Spirit of Sport award after three fruitless years as a contender.

Federer, who goes to the French Open on Sunday aiming to become the first man since 1969 to hold all four grand slams, also won the Laureus award in Estoril 12 months ago -- when he was the Wimbledon and U.S. Open champion.

With the Australian Open title also in his possession now, the powerful frame of Nadal is likely to be his greatest obstacle to glory at Roland Garros.

Hingis, who quit tennis in 2002 after chronic injuries and a decline hastened by the emergence of power-players like the Williams sisters, has confounded the doubters since her comeback from self-imposed exile in December and on Sunday swept to victory at the Italian Open.

"I'm very impressed. Here she is, (in the) top 15 after five months. She breaks all the records she sets herself. She doesn't just say, she does it too," Federer said before the awards were announced.

South African wheelchair racer Ernst van Dyk, with a fifth straight win at the Boston Marathon, won the disabled sportspersons award.

Angelo d'Arrigo, the Italian hang-glider known as the 'Human Condor' who was killed in an air crash in March, was posthumously given the alternative sportsperson's award.

The King of Spain and Hollywood celebrities such as Morgan Freeman and Teri Hatcher rubbed shoulders with the likes of Australian cricketer Shane Warne and German tennis great Boris Becker.

In a city still suffering the hangover of Barcelona's Champions League win last Wednesday, former club player and coach Johan Cruyff was presented with a Lifetime Achievement award for his contribution to football.

Kostelic, who won the women's combined event at the Turin Olympics, beat off rivals including Yelena Isinbayeva, the first woman to pole vault over five metres, U.S. Open tennis champion Kim Clijsters, and ex-winner, Swedish golfer Annika Sorenstam.

The awards are decided by a jury of 40 of the greatest sportsmen and women of all time, from a shortlist put together by a panel of journalists from around the world.

The awards are twinned with the Laureus Sport for Good Foundation, a charitable venture seeking to assist the underprivileged and needy around the world.

Well done Martina!!!
Muffin the Mule is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:56 PM   #2
country flag tennismaster8820
Sprem believer! :shrug:

tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm so happy for Janica, she realy deserved it this time!!!!!!!!
tennismaster8820 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:12 PM   #3
country flag Melusine

Melusine is a splendid one to behold Melusine is a splendid one to behold Melusine is a splendid one to behold Melusine is a splendid one to behold Melusine is a splendid one to behold Melusine is a splendid one to behold Melusine is a splendid one to behold Melusine is a splendid one to behold Melusine is a splendid one to behold Melusine is a splendid one to behold Melusine is a splendid one to behold
Bit strange Martina wins it, since it is a 2005 award

(I'm not saying what she's doing isn't great, but it's rather 2006, no)

Kim Clijsters
Yanina K-Lina Anna Sania
Melusine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:20 PM   #4
country flag xin_hui

xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute
martina won it for a 2 months performance in 2006?
xin_hui is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:23 PM   #5
country flag DarkchildSwiss

DarkchildSwiss has a brilliant future DarkchildSwiss has a brilliant future DarkchildSwiss has a brilliant future DarkchildSwiss has a brilliant future DarkchildSwiss has a brilliant future DarkchildSwiss has a brilliant future DarkchildSwiss has a brilliant future DarkchildSwiss has a brilliant future DarkchildSwiss has a brilliant future DarkchildSwiss has a brilliant future DarkchildSwiss has a brilliant future
Congrats to Janica, Marti and Roger.

Other players: Belinda Bencic ~ Kim Clijsters ~ Timea Bacsinszky ~ Elena Dementieva ~ Stefanie Voegele ~ Anna Kournikova ~ Maria Sharapova ~ Vera Zvonareva ~ Daniela Hantuchova ~ Elena Bovina ~ Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova ~ Monica Seles ~ Jennifer Capriati ~ Serena and Venus Williams ~ Klara Koukalova
DarkchildSwiss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:41 PM   #6
country flag Come-on-kim

Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute
Kim should have won the Comeback of the year.... but well... I suppose present as more weight than last year. It's nice martina won it tho

"When you do your best, it's always good enough" - Kim Clijsters

"No matter what happens, you have to try to stay positive, bad things can happen, but if you try to stay positive, something positive will come out of it…I believe that everything happens for a reason" - Kim Clijsters

"Goed is de ergste vijand van zeer goed" - Pascal Smet

"Als je iemand idealiseert, verlies je het contact met de werkelijkheid"

"Ca s’apprend par la souffrance, ça s’apprend par les déceptions, ça s’apprend par la densité du mal que ça te fait, plus ça te fait mal et plus ça te fait grandir. Y a des moments où tu te dis je ne vais pas le supporter, ça, ça fait trop mal, et pourtant tu passes au travers."
Come-on-kim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:19 PM   #7
country flag No.1Hingis

No.1Hingis is a splendid one to behold No.1Hingis is a splendid one to behold No.1Hingis is a splendid one to behold No.1Hingis is a splendid one to behold No.1Hingis is a splendid one to behold No.1Hingis is a splendid one to behold No.1Hingis is a splendid one to behold No.1Hingis is a splendid one to behold No.1Hingis is a splendid one to behold No.1Hingis is a splendid one to behold No.1Hingis is a splendid one to behold
Well.. she was nominated.. so.. I guess cause her comeback landed so fast in the year.. but I think after yesterday.. she deserve it.. good days from Hingis fans.. maybe Kim deserve it too.. but.. both are great players.. Martina Congrats!!!... Nice from 200 or more rank.. jump places so fast.. to 2 tittles at time, today 14 in rank, seed from RG.. need more?
No.1Hingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:12 PM   #8
tennnisfannn

tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute
It tis too soon for a martina award, she wins it for 2006 no doubt.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:52 PM   #9
country flag lucashg

lucashg has a brilliant future lucashg has a brilliant future lucashg has a brilliant future lucashg has a brilliant future lucashg has a brilliant future lucashg has a brilliant future lucashg has a brilliant future lucashg has a brilliant future lucashg has a brilliant future lucashg has a brilliant future lucashg has a brilliant future
Hingis will continue to be successful this year, so I think they should have postponned that award win for her for next year's edition. From "February 2005 to February 2006", Kim definitely deserved it. And Justine right after her.

They should have aknowledged the great comebacks made by the Belgians. Next year it'll be Serena and Jennifer hopefully!

Justine Henin

Proud member of Justine's Philistines Society™
"There's a bit of Justine in all of us"
lucashg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:20 PM   #10
country flag PLP

PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats Martina!!!
PLP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:22 PM   #11
country flag cs0803

cs0803 is a name known to all cs0803 is a name known to all cs0803 is a name known to all cs0803 is a name known to all cs0803 is a name known to all cs0803 is a name known to all cs0803 is a name known to all cs0803 is a name known to all cs0803 is a name known to all cs0803 is a name known to all cs0803 is a name known to all
Well done martina! Although I really think Kim should have one!
cs0803 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:34 AM   #12
country flag Martian Stacey
Team WTAworld

Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melusine
Bit strange Martina wins it, since it is a 2005 award

(I'm not saying what she's doing isn't great, but it's rather 2006, no)
thats what i was thinking i would have thought Kim should get this one.

but congrats to Martina all the same
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:55 AM   #13
country flag RatedR Superstar

RatedR Superstar has a reputation beyond repute RatedR Superstar has a reputation beyond repute RatedR Superstar has a reputation beyond repute RatedR Superstar has a reputation beyond repute RatedR Superstar has a reputation beyond repute RatedR Superstar has a reputation beyond repute RatedR Superstar has a reputation beyond repute RatedR Superstar has a reputation beyond repute RatedR Superstar has a reputation beyond repute RatedR Superstar has a reputation beyond repute RatedR Superstar has a reputation beyond repute
well good for her, she deserves it anyway

***The Official Pimp Daddy of the CP***
RatedR Superstar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:56 AM   #14
country flag iPatty

iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats, Martina! Was this really a 2005 award?
Old May 23rd, 2006, 04:34 AM   #15
country flag Veritas

Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurl_tennis
martina won it for a 2 months performance in 2006?
No, Martina won it for surging back into the top-end of the rankings after a 4 year layoff.
Veritas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote