Catholics Protest "Da Vinci": No Riots, Burning Embassies, Or Calls For Beheadings - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 17th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #1
country flag SelesFan70

SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute
Catholics Protest "Da Vinci": No Riots, Burning Embassies, Or Calls For Beheadings

Bans, protests, boycotts
Protests were brewing in several countries.

In India, the government Tuesday put a temporary hold on the movie's release because of complaints, The Associated Press reported.

In South Korea, which has 13 million Protestants and 4.6 million Roman Catholics, a court ruled Tuesday that a Christian group's request for an injunction to block screenings lacked merit. The Christian Council of Korea, an umbrella group of 63 South Korean Protestant denominations, said it respected the ruling but would lead a boycott of the movie, which it said defiles the sanctity of Jesus Christ and distorts facts, AP reported.

In mostly Hindu India, which is also home to 18 million Roman Catholics, Joseph Dias, head of the Catholic Secular Forum, began a hunger strike in downtown Mumbai and said other people were joining him.

"We want the movie to be banned," he said.

The film had been set for release in India on Friday and had already been cleared by the national censor board. But Information and Broadcasting Minister Priya Ranjan Dasmunshi said he put a temporary hold on the movie after receiving more than 200 complaints.

In Thailand, Columbia Pictures has appealed a ruling by government censors to cut the final 10 minutes of "The Da Vinci Code," police said, after Thai church leaders complained the film's content was insulting.

Philippine censors approved an adult rating for the movie but stopped short of rating it "X" because "it does not constitute a clear, express or direct attack on the Catholic church or religion" and does not libel or defame any person.

The movie-review panel's chairwoman, Marissa Laguardia, told The Associated Press that the movie would be a "test of faith" for many people in the predominantly Roman Catholic Philippines.

The National Council of Churches in Singapore, which also had requested a ban, planned lectures to refute aspects of the film and the book on which it is based. The censorship board gave the movie an NC16 rating, barring viewers under 16, arguing that "only a mature audience will be able to discern and differentiate between fact and fiction."

Also, while not planning a protest or boycott, members of the National Organization for Albinism and Hypopigmentation expressed unhappiness with the film's heavy, a monk-assassin, being an albino, as described in the book.

Michael McGowan, an albino who heads the organization, said "The Da Vinci Code" will be the 68th movie since 1960 to feature an evil albino. He said the group aims to use the movie's popularity to raise awareness about the realities of albinism. People with albinism have little or no pigmentation in their skin, eyes and hair.

After making its print debut in 2003, "The DaVinci Code" has since sold more than 60.5 million copies and has been translated into 44 languages.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movi...nci/index.html

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!
SelesFan70 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #2
Pureracket

Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute
Your Title Should Probably read:Catholics Protest "Da Vinci": No Riots, Burning Embassies, Or Calls For Beheadings but Continue to Rape and Molest Altar Boys

OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 02:57 PM   #3
country flag firehorse

firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureracket
Your Title Should Probably read:Catholics Protest "Da Vinci": No Riots, Burning Embassies, Or Calls For Beheadings but Continue to Rape and Molest Altar Boys
Thats funny!!. .you are bad.....bad...
It is ture..more molesting boys in catholics churches.
firehorse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:38 PM   #4
country flag GrandSlam05

GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute
Catholicism is bad no doubt, but not even close to Islam.
Lindsay Davenport: Always my #1 Girl
GrandSlam05 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:08 PM   #5
country flag wateva

wateva has a reputation beyond repute wateva has a reputation beyond repute wateva has a reputation beyond repute wateva has a reputation beyond repute wateva has a reputation beyond repute wateva has a reputation beyond repute wateva has a reputation beyond repute wateva has a reputation beyond repute wateva has a reputation beyond repute wateva has a reputation beyond repute wateva has a reputation beyond repute
it's just a movie... why are they so worked up?
i think people will believe what they want to believe. no matter how hard the facts are.

For the latest match previews and analysis, follow my blog: http://wonderfulwta.blogspot.com/
wateva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #6
country flag Rtael
Team WTAworld

Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute
Catholics used to be as bad....give Islam another 800 years and we'll see where they're at then.

"You Worry About Your Jump Rope and Yourself!" -Coral on Battle of the Sexes 2

Running for the cliff again...
Rtael is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #7
country flag azdaja

azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute
catholics have no reason to get violent about stuff at the moment. has someone from outside invaded their lands, tortured their people etc. in a way that can be interpreted as a war against catholicism?

people should start pretending that some religions are more dangerous than others. that's rubbish.
azdaja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #8
country flag azdaja

azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute
it should also be noted that for the most part muslims also protested without violence. but the few violent incidents were reported so widely in the media that it was blown out of proportions.
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #9
country flag GrandSlam05

GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtael
Catholics used to be as bad....give Islam another 800 years and we'll see where they're at then.
Very true. But I don't plan on being alive in 800 years, do you? Way back when, quality of life was much lower, science wasn't very far advanced, so religion basically had a stranglehold. Nowadays, it's ridiculous some people are worried about cartoons, movies etc. when we've got much bigger problems.
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:34 PM   #10
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdaja
catholics have no reason to get violent about stuff at the moment. has someone from outside invaded their lands, tortured their people etc. in a way that can be interpreted as a war against catholicism?
Uh, in Ireland, 6 northern counties are still under British occupation.

YUG flag, because it never should have split up.
*JR* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:53 PM   #11
country flag firehorse

firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of
all religions are the same..none of them is better than others....just be fair...none of us see Allah, God, Jesus, Buddha or Mohammed....all teach same thing...respect other people...
firehorse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:28 PM   #12
country flag azdaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JR*
Uh, in Ireland, 6 northern counties are still under British occupation.
that's true and they were actually into terrorism because of that. and protestant provocations still can cause some violence. just like provocations against muslims in a right-wing newspaper in denmark can.

so yeah, we are all human.
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #13
country flag timafi

timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute
the Catholic Church should take care of their priests and Cardinals who are either molesting boys and for the others not doing a damn thing to stop what's happening by turning a blind eye and moving those mofing freaks from parishes to parishes instead of calling them out as molesters that they are
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...on-drug-makers
timafi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #14
country flag tterb

tterb has a reputation beyond repute tterb has a reputation beyond repute tterb has a reputation beyond repute tterb has a reputation beyond repute tterb has a reputation beyond repute tterb has a reputation beyond repute tterb has a reputation beyond repute tterb has a reputation beyond repute tterb has a reputation beyond repute tterb has a reputation beyond repute tterb has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
In mostly Hindu India, which is also home to 18 million Roman Catholics, Joseph Dias, head of the Catholic Secular Forum, began a hunger strike in downtown Mumbai and said other people were joining him.
Here's hoping the movie has a looong run in theaters.

In all seriousness, though, instead of wasting (yes, wasting) your time boycotting a fictional movie that goes against your own beliefs (which are debatably fictional as well), why don't you actually get busy *gasp* following God's word?

Wow, that's radical of me, I know, to expect a follower of a religion to spend more time following the religion's principles than defending it from perceived attacks. Get back to me when you aren't being allowed to freely practice your religion - then I'll support your cause. Until then, realize religion is based on faith, not facts - that means, as far as I'm concerned, if I want to watch this movie, I should be able to do so. Censorship is not a viable choice.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure your God would rather you raise money for the poor or collect food for the hungry than make some inane point by starving yourself. So yeah. Get over yourself.

/end rant/
Sorana Cirstea Tatiana Golovin Agnieska Radwanska Jelena Jankovic Melanie Oudin Flavia Pennetta

Last edited by tterb : May 17th, 2006 at 09:23 PM.
tterb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #15
country flag GrandSlam05

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehorse
all religions are the same..none of them is better than others....just be fair...none of us see Allah, God, Jesus, Buddha or Mohammed....all teach same thing...respect other people...
Respect other people? What about people of different religion, race, economic class, women, gays, etc?
Religion teaches worship and devotion to a God, not humanism.