Jon Wertheim: Another comeback for Venus? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 10th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #1
country flag Paneru

Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute
Jon Wertheim: Another comeback for Venus?

Another comeback for Venus?
Gritty win on clay over Hingis a good sign for Williams
Posted: Wednesday May 10, 2006 8:21AM; Updated: Wednesday May 10, 2006 11:02AM

Venus Williams upset Martina Hingis
at last week's J&S Cup in Poland,
her first tournament in months.

Quote:
So Venus Williams gets spanked in the quarters of Warsaw. But still I think her gritty win over Martina Hingis is a good sign. Let's face it, she's been out for ages and shakes off the rust for a tight win to even her series with Fraulein Chucky at 10 wins apiece. That's a lot of history. I think it's a big win for Venus. In fact, any time a Yankee wins on Euro-clay, it's noteworthy. (Just ask Justin Gimelstob.) What do the tea leaves tell you? Venus' loyal fans are curious.-- Jay Lassiter, Philadelphia

A lot of you asked about this last week. I think that, symbolically, the win over Hingis was big. Venus leveled what was once the best rivalry in tennis and, once again, showed uncommon fortitude coming back from a set down and 3-5 and overcoming a nasty case of cramps. Plus she did it on clay, never her surface of choice.

On the other hand, Hingis is still shaking off some rust and, despite the success of her comeback, is not a top-five player. Venus' inability to offer much resistance against Svetlana Kuznetsova in the subsequent match ought to signify that she still has her work cut out for her. Anyone disinclined to ignore history would be foolish to write Venus off at any event. But I wouldn't put her on the short list of Roland Garros contenders right now.

Incidentally, am I the only person fascinated by Venus' mental fitness? She fights to death against certain players -- namely Lindsay Davenport and Hingis -- simply refusing to lose. Then she barely musters a battle against lesser players.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...bag/index.html

Looks like Venus is on the list to win RG
as she is not on his list.
Paneru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2006, 06:08 PM   #2
country flag Infiniti2001
Veelieve!!!

Infiniti2001 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Incidentally, am I the only person fascinated by Venus' mental fitness? She fights to death against certain players -- namely Lindsay Davenport and Hingis -- simply refusing to lose. Then she barely musters a battle against lesser players.
Nope, her fans say it all the time I'm thinking she got enough ass kickings from them from 1997-99
Infiniti2001 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:18 PM   #3
country flag Paneru

Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti2001
Nope, her fans say it all the time I'm thinking she got enough ass kickings from them from 1997-99
True that!
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #4
country flag GrandSlam05

GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute
God her hair looks like total crap in that pic. Literally a pile of dog doo. What was she thinking?
Lindsay Davenport: Always my #1 Girl
GrandSlam05 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #5
country flag Infiniti2001
Veelieve!!!

Infiniti2001 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSlam05
God her hair looks like total crap in that pic. Literally a pile of dog doo. What was she thinking?
We all know you're the hair expert on this board
Infiniti2001 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #6
country flag winone23

winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
It a beautiful hair style, it called box braids, she let's them down when she's not playing, it's part of her heritage. I love braids!
winone23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:49 PM   #7
country flag Paneru

Quote:
Originally Posted by winone23
It a beautiful hair style, it called box braids, she let's them down when she's not playing, it's part of her heritage. I love braids!
Yes, and it's beautiful.

Venus always comes up with different
and interesting things.

Leave it to a hater regardless to come into
the thread and be a little bitch.
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:51 PM   #8
country flag winone23

winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute
Jonh Werthiem is going to eat crow for dinner again, and for the rest of the year again.

I can't wait to Venus proves him wrong.
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:53 PM   #9
country flag GoDominique

GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paneru
Yes, and it's beautiful.

and interesting things.

Can I ask you a question? It has been bothering me for years.

Why do your posts look they way they do?
GoDominique is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:59 PM   #10
country flag Paneru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDominique

Come again?
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:00 PM   #11
country flag GrandSlam05

GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by winone23
Lol if Venus crapped on a plate and handed it to you, you would gladly lap it up.
I like braids too it's the princess leia arrangement that I was referring to.
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:04 PM   #12
country flag GrandSlam05

And I don't get the caption under the pic either. Venus is still the higher ranked player and Hingis is on a comeback herself so how did she "upset" Hingis. It wasn't even really a surprise.
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:11 PM   #13
country flag winone23

Quote:
Lol if Venus crapped on a plate and handed it to you, you would gladly lap it up.
I like braids too it's the princess leia arrangement that I was referring to.
Venus knows what's best for her hair, she secured the braids so they won't bother her while she plays, if you don't like it boo-hoo.
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:13 PM   #14
country flag winone23

Quote:
And I don't get the caption under the pic either. Venus is still the higher ranked player and Hingis is on a comeback herself so how did she "upset" Hingis. It wasn't even really a surprise.
Venus did upset Hingis, Hingis was extremely upset and pissed after the match.
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #15
country flag GoDominique

GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDominique

If I wrote your post, it would look like this:

Yes, and it's beautiful.

Venus always comes up with different and interesting things.

Leave it to a hater regardless to come into the thread and be a little bitch.

Yours always look like this:

Yes, and it's beautiful.

and interesting things.

GoDominique is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote