Is Maria the next Kournikova? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 10th, 2006, 02:14 PM   #1
country flag The_Pov

The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute
Is Maria the next Kournikova?

Not Sharapova but Kirilenko...

I've been having an argument with my friend and I want to see what you guys think.

He says he wouldn't be surprised if she ends up like a lesser Kounikova seeing as even though she has won a title, she hasn't achieved that much, her results a mediocre, but she has already been recognised as a marketable face, she's done photoshoots for vogue, Adidas has made her the face of their Stella McCartney line. He reckons it won't be long before she is doing more off court stuff, because her matches are packed (showing she is becoming a crowd puller) even though the results aren't always the best slimply because she is a good looking player who has the same figure as a young Anna.

He says tennis career wise they'll be slightly different, Maria has one title to her name (a Teir II) but has yet to break into the top 20, while as Anna was a top player at one point, but he says Maria is the next 'player to have ok result but make a bigger name for herself off court.'

Just wondering what you guys think of that!
The_Pov is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #2
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute
I think their games are also very similar
Andy. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #3
country flag The_Pov

The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMashaFan
I think their games are also very similar
Yes, that's how the whole debate started I said her game is very similar to Anna's.
The_Pov is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #4
country flag furrykitten

furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pov
Not Sharapova but Kirilenko...

I've been having an argument with my friend and I want to see what you guys think.

He says he wouldn't be surprised if she ends up like a lesser Kounikova seeing as even though she has won a title, she hasn't achieved that much, her results a mediocre, but she has already been recognised as a marketable face, she's done photoshoots for vogue, Adidas has made her the face of their Stella McCartney line. He reckons it won't be long before she is doing more off court stuff, because her matches are packed (showing she is becoming a crowd puller) even though the results aren't always the best slimply because she is a good looking player who has the same figure as a young Anna.

He says tennis career wise they'll be slightly different, Maria has one title to her name (a Teir II) but has yet to break into the top 20, while as Anna was a top player at one point, but he says Maria is the next 'player to have ok result but make a bigger name for herself off court.'

Just wondering what you guys think of that!
I'm shocked he can say such things about Maria, she's only 19 and is progressing up the rankings, she is not another Kournikova, she's the first Maria Kirilenko. Very rare players peak early in their career she has so much tennis ahead of her and I think she will win titles.

WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS FC
furrykitten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:22 PM   #5
country flag selecta

selecta has much to be proud of selecta has much to be proud of selecta has much to be proud of selecta has much to be proud of selecta has much to be proud of selecta has much to be proud of selecta has much to be proud of selecta has much to be proud of selecta has much to be proud of selecta has much to be proud of selecta has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

anna k can't be replaced but maria k is definetly prettier than maria s
selecta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:22 PM   #6
country flag jonny84

jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute
Well she is only 19 - still quite young in terms of tennis. Has almost made the Top20 (been ranked #22).

Only problem is she tends to always run into big players at her events (Davenport, Mauresmo, Petrova, Hingis, Kuznetsova & Sharapova in 2006). She probably needs more experience to be able to beat them, and get better results.
jonny84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #7
country flag rik du chesnay

rik du chesnay is a name known to all rik du chesnay is a name known to all rik du chesnay is a name known to all rik du chesnay is a name known to all rik du chesnay is a name known to all rik du chesnay is a name known to all rik du chesnay is a name known to all rik du chesnay is a name known to all rik du chesnay is a name known to all rik du chesnay is a name known to all rik du chesnay is a name known to all
Maria said:"I'm not the next kournikova.I'm the first me"I think she's the 2.She will do pictures and she will play tennis.
rik du chesnay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:25 PM   #8
country flag xin_hui

xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by furrykitten
I'm shocked he can say such things about Maria, she's only 19 and is progressing up the rankings, she is not another Kournikova, she's the first Maria Kirilenko. Very rare players peak early in their career she has so much tennis ahead of her and I think she will win titles.
she's only 19, here we go again anna's results were way better than kirilenko at 19

anw, my stand on this is: i dont think kirilenko has the appeal, charisma or looks that anna had
xin_hui is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:29 PM   #9
country flag furrykitten

furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurl_tennis
she's only 19, here we go again anna's results were way better than kirilenko at 19

anw, my stand on this is: i dont think kirilenko has the appeal, charisma or looks that anna had
I think you have bad eye sight and you are insane.

WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS FC
furrykitten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #10
country flag mandy7

mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute
nope
but i heard she's gonna replace bert in bert and ernie
mandy7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #11
country flag xin_hui

xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by furrykitten
I think you have bad eye sight and you are insane.
bad eyesight, i admit, since i wear contact lenses. but last i checked, i dont live in a mental hospital
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #12
country flag TeaMMashA

TeaMMashA has a reputation beyond repute TeaMMashA has a reputation beyond repute TeaMMashA has a reputation beyond repute TeaMMashA has a reputation beyond repute TeaMMashA has a reputation beyond repute TeaMMashA has a reputation beyond repute TeaMMashA has a reputation beyond repute TeaMMashA has a reputation beyond repute TeaMMashA has a reputation beyond repute TeaMMashA has a reputation beyond repute TeaMMashA has a reputation beyond repute
Maria has something Anna doesnt though a Singles Title

.Tatiana Golovin.Nadia Petrova.Ana Ivanovic.Olga Poutchkova.
.Caroline Wozinacki.Anna ChakVetadze.Anna-Lena Groenefeld.
.Sam Stosur.Michaella Krajicek.Svetlana Kuznetsova.
TeaMMashA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #13
country flag hablo

hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute
There will always be one and only one Anna Kournikova

GO all Canuck players GO
hablo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #14
country flag borisy

borisy has disabled reputation
Kournikova had a better game... and even though Kirilenko is pretty she is no way close to a 19 year old Kournikova in the prettiness department (and she should change that top blonde, bottom black hair color)
borisy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #15
country flag xin_hui

Quote:
Originally Posted by hablovah
There will always be one and only one Anna Kournikova
hablovah