Serve and Volley-40's tennis - Page 7 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 9th, 2008, 11:03 PM   #91
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serve and Volley-40's tennis

Eleanor Purdy Cushingham is a forgotten player from this era-she still coaches in California!

Eleanor's claim to fame consisted of:

A. Being a blonde sex symbol.
B. Beating world #1 Pauiline Betz at the Pacific Southwest

A famous pose of Eleanor sunbathing. This was used in a 1947 ad for a solarium

Pic taken at Palm Springs in 1947 as an ad for a "solarium". This would be for tanning I guess? This pic is from Life magazine

Last edited by Rollo : Apr 11th, 2013 at 02:02 PM.
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 9th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #92
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

This is Eleanor's site as of 2004. There are two pictures-one is a great shot of her circa 1943.

http://www.tennis-lessons-instructor...Instructor.htm

Eleanor Harbula, Tennis Instructor

Eleanor Purdy grew up in Hollywood California learning tennis at the age of 12 under the tutelage of the great pro of champions Dick Skeen at the Poinsettia Tennis Courts. She learned and practiced with other greats including Jack Kramer.

In her twenties, she enjoyed a top ranking on the women's open tour and defeated the #1 woman player in the world here in L.A. At 28 she and her first husband, Jack Cushingham (also a top ranked player), were the resident pros at the prestigious Beverly Hills Tennis Club. She played and coached such notable personalities as Kirk Douglas, Burt Lancaster, Gilbert Roland, Tony Randal, Jack Clugman, Gary Marshall, Sandra Dee, the golden boy boxer Art Aragon and many others.

She divorced and later remaried Warren Harbula at age 33. She gave up her tennis life for a time to raise a family. After giving birth to her son Patrick, who has become a well known spiritual teacher and author of the acclaimed book The Magic of the Soul . Eleanor and Warren also adopted a daughter, Cathy 3 years later who's claim to fame is that she got 3 games off of Tracy Austin when she 9 years old. Tracy was 6.

She lost her husband to Cancer when she was 43 years old. To support her two children, she returned to the the sport and life that she loved and had give her so much. She has been offering private and group lessons ever since. She also enjoyed a second tenure at the Beverly Hills Club during the 1980s.

She now lives in Sylmar and continues to play professionally. She has been ranked number 1 in her division for the last 4 years. She also continues to provide the most educated and effective instruction at the most reasonable prices around
Old Dec 9th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #93
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Eleanor's coach Dick Skeen deserves more notice. He was a major force behind the success of Louise Brough.

Last edited by Rollo : Apr 11th, 2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #94
country flag praise him

praise him is an unknown quantity at this point

I need help with background information on my mother, Jacque Virgil. She was married to Joe Hunt and later to my father Windsor Rowley. She often talked fondly of her tennis years in Southern Cal in the 30s and 40s. She would often talk of her friends Jinx Faulkenberg, Gussie Moran, Dodo Bundy, Alice Marble, Doris Hart, Jack Kramer, and others. One day I found an old driver's license of hers with the name Nelson on it and I asked my Dad and he was extremely nervous and embarassed and said never mention this again especially in front of your mother. I have no idea who the man with the last name of Nelson was. I think she may have been married breifly to another man but there is much mystery and secrecy surrounding her life before she met my father. I would very much appreciate anyone's insight or help in discovering her past. She past away in 1975 at the young age of 58. My father passed in 1992.
praise him is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 09:15 AM   #95
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Eleanor Purdy Cushingham is a forgotten player from this era-she still coaches in California!

Eleanor's claim to fame consisted of:

A. Being a blonde sex symbol.
B. Beating world #1 Pauiline Betz at the Pacific Southwest

Pic taken at Palm Springs in 1947 as an ad for a "solarium". This would be for tanning I guess? This pic is from Life magazine
My god- this woman is the ultimate tennis sex symbol.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #96
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Posted by Praise Him
I need help with background information on my mother, Jacque Virgil. She was married to Joe Hunt and later to my father Windsor Rowley. She often talked fondly of her tennis years in Southern Cal in the 30s and 40s. She would often talk of her friends Jinx Faulkenberg, Gussie Moran, Dodo Bundy, Alice Marble, Doris Hart, Jack Kramer, and others. One day I found an old driver's license of hers with the name Nelson on it and I asked my Dad and he was extremely nervous and embarassed and said never mention this again especially in front of your mother. I have no idea who the man with the last name of Nelson was. I think she may have been married breifly to another man but there is much mystery and secrecy surrounding her life before she met my father. I would very much appreciate anyone's insight or help in discovering her past. She past away in 1975 at the young age of 58. My father passed in 1992.
Did you recieve my private message Praise Him?
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #97
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Pictures from Life magazine taken at the National Doubles in 1946 at Longwood.

Margaret Osbourne

Old Jul 17th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #98
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Lovely Brit Kay Stammers Menzies-sex symbol of the 1930s.

Old Jul 17th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #99
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Pauline Betz and Doris Hart. When i spoke with Louise Brough and few years back I asked her. "What was the toughest doubles team you and ozzie ever faced? She replied. "Doris with anyone."

Last edited by Rollo : Apr 11th, 2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #100
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Osborne (nicknamed "Ozzie" by some) won the singles at Longwood. Mrs Wightman is presenting the trophy.

Old Jul 17th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #101
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

I know it it's a womens tennis board-but this was too good to pass up. A player takes a dive on the turf.

Old Jul 18th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #102
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Pictures from Life magazine taken at the National Doubles in 1946 at Longwood.

Margaret Osbourne

Great poise at the net there Rollo
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #103
country flag iainmac

Quote:
I know it it's a womens tennis board-but this was too good to pass up. A player takes a dive on the turf.

Great photos Rollo- thankyou.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #104
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Note: NYTimes has a miss Fischer of New York in PSW draw in Sept of 1947. Americna Lawn Tennis calls her Mrs Fischer. Which is correct? Is this Jacque Virgil Hunt?

Jacque "Allison Danzig calls her "the lovely Jacque in the NYT) was married to Naval Academy Grad and 1943 US National champ Joseph "Joe" Hunt. They were married by 1943, when Hunt was stationed in Dallas and Jacque went with him. Joe died in a plane crash in Daytona Florida in early 1945.

Last edited by Rollo : Jul 18th, 2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #105
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

I can confrim that Jacque Married a Mr Fischer by 1947. The NYT lists her as Mrs Jacque Hunt Fischer of Montclair, New Jersey in July of 1947. Her husbands name was Andrew Fischer.