Serve and Volley-40's tennis - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 16th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #76
country flag trivfun

trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of
Re: Serve and Volley-40's tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster View Post
When and if you ever get the chance, I suggest you watch a classic old B&W film from 1948 called "Adam's Rib". It stars one of Pauline's best and long time friends, Katharine Hepburn. It might be an eye-opener for you regarding the difference between strong women and the tomboy archetype (if there is such a thing). Just because she was fast and had great hand-eye coordination, and liked the challenge of competition, doesn't mean she was painting variations of the clitoris on her off hours. In fact, she had quite a reputation with the men. Too bad Spencer Tracy and Bobby Riggs are no longer around to attest. I can attest from having met her that she is all woman.
I heard Katherine Hepburn had an affair with Judy Holliday. Maybe it doesn't necessarily have to be sexual with women but love. Affection, togetherness, and intuition. Who says she can't do both? There is a thing called bi-sexuality. In the Kinsey resport, it is just various degrees of sexuality that a human being has for another person, man or woman. My point is, it is proven that she has no limitations for other things then why would she have limitations of who she can love?
Advertisement

Old Nov 17th, 2006, 05:37 AM   #77
country flag trivfun

trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of

Quote:
When and if you ever get the chance, I suggest you watch a classic old B&W film from 1948 called "Adam's Rib". It stars one of Pauline's best and long time friends, Katharine Hepburn. It might be an eye-opener for you regarding the difference between strong women and the tomboy archetype (if there is such a thing). Just because she was fast and had great hand-eye coordination, and liked the challenge of competition, doesn't mean she was painting variations of the clitoris on her off hours. In fact, she had quite a reputation with the men. Too bad Spencer Tracy and Bobby Riggs are no longer around to attest. I can attest from having met her that she is all woman.

As for her man interest, Gussie Moran got her. I mean she almost married an Indian maharajah. All I saw with Pauline is American white men.

As far as I know, Gussie is probably the only female tennis player that has dated outside of her race at that time.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #78
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivfun View Post
...why would she have limitations of who she can love?
My question is why would I be interested in finding out something personal like that about someone I don't even know?
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 07:57 PM   #79
country flag trivfun

Quote:
My question is why would I be interested in finding out something personal like that about someone I don't even know?
Is it really personal? Every bio talks about who she is married to and their kids. She and Maureen Connolly flaunt their family life and do it in a in your face style that goes with Chris Evert. Now, the truth comes out.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 10:25 PM   #80
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

How did Pauline "flaunt her family life?"

She got married, had kids, and still had a career. She wasn't in the tabloids after her 5 years of fame. As for her personal life, sure I can understand being curious, but when push comes to shove what anyone decides to keep private is up to him or her isn't it?
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 03:02 AM   #81
country flag trivfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post

She got married, had kids, and still had a career. She wasn't in the tabloids after her 5 years of fame. As for her personal life, sure I can understand being curious, but when push comes to shove what anyone decides to keep private is up to him or her isn't it?
Oh, yes she was. Thanks to Mr. Jack Kramer. Remember, she was undefeated in her professional career. Bob Addie put in those columns. Rusty Addie in those junior tournaments. She made a lot of appearances in tournaments and seminars in the 1960's.

I call it the Larry Bird syndrome. Yeah I know he was good but dang every mention was how perfect he was. Of course now, the truth comes out about him talking trash, his daughter, and how he played bad defense.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 04:05 AM   #82
country flag trivfun

Quote:

Sort of like Larry "Legend" Bird. He never initiated it but the media around him did. He would only tell what the public wanted to hear and imagine.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #83

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Is it really personal? Every bio talks about who she is married to and their kids. She and Maureen Connolly flaunt their family life and do it in a in your face style that goes with Chris Evert. Now, the truth comes out.
If I was to be blunt, I'd say "bullshit", but in the interest of not being blunt, I'll just stick with "horsefeathers".
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 03:50 PM   #84
country flag trivfun

Quote:
If I was to be blunt, I'd say "bullshit", but in the interest of not being blunt, I'll just stick with "horsefeathers".
Here is a poem by Kim Addinizio.

Therapy

My brother's in the house. I close my door.
He's in the kitchen. Bottles, knives. He breaks the lock,
drags me by one arm across the floor.
A small bird thrums its wings inside the clock;
now it's coming out, it's keeping track
of each indignity: that helpless day,
my father's drinking, Christ, the whole black
drama of my childhood's on display
like a document in a museum. And you
sit listening, and nodding, like those toys
I've seen, their heads on springs. It's too
ridiculous, this ordering the noise
the past makes into music. What's it for?
Time's up. You're in the house. I'm through the door.

© Kim Addonizio

from Tell Me (BOA Editions, 2000)
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:54 AM   #85

Quote:
Here is a poem by Kim Addinizio.

Therapy

My brother's in the house. I close my door.
He's in the kitchen. Bottles, knives. He breaks the lock,
drags me by one arm across the floor.
A small bird thrums its wings inside the clock;
now it's coming out, it's keeping track
of each indignity: that helpless day,
my father's drinking, Christ, the whole black
drama of my childhood's on display
like a document in a museum. And you
sit listening, and nodding, like those toys
I've seen, their heads on springs. It's too
ridiculous, this ordering the noise
the past makes into music. What's it for?
Time's up. You're in the house. I'm through the door.

© Kim Addonizio

from Tell Me (BOA Editions, 2000)
It begs more poetry from Christina Crawford. Wonder if she ever tried her hand at roses, er, um, I mean proses...
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #86
country flag trivfun

Here is a picture of the 1946 French final. Pauline says that the French wasn't that big like it is now. You couldn't tell from this picture. That says it all.

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #87

Quote:
Here is a picture of the 1946 French final. Pauline says that the French wasn't that big like it is now. You couldn't tell from this picture. That says it all.

I'm a proud card-carrying American, and I really do love Bobbie, however, I think you could, unfortunately, couch what she said about the French not being big back then with the proviso that it wasn't big to Americans. It most certainly was big to the French and most likely the rest of Europe, especially in 1946.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #88
country flag trivfun

Quote:
I'm a proud card-carrying American, and I really do love Bobbie, however, I think you could, unfortunately, couch what she said about the French not being big back then with the proviso that it wasn't big to Americans. It most certainly was big to the French and most likely the rest of Europe, especially in 1946.
My point about BobbieP whether the tournament was big or small, American or non-American, she hated to lose and took it hard.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:40 PM   #89
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

The crowds were very big in 1946-and excited by the style of "les amazons" as the American women were known by.

Pauline was one point away from winning this thrilling final-missing an overhead on match point.....
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:20 PM   #90
country flag trivfun

Quote:
The crowds were very big in 1946-and excited by the style of "les amazons" as the American women were known by.

Pauline was one point away from winning this thrilling final-missing an overhead on match point.....
I think it was a British writer or a member of Wimbledon who has seen it all. Said that one of the most exciting matches was the 1946 Wimbledon final between Pauline and Louise Brough in terms of athleticism. Louise was one of the few women that had the American twist serve.