Serve and Volley-40's tennis - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 13th, 2005, 06:56 AM   #61
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
What a glam shot of Alice relaxing on the chair---It reminds me that I still haven't seen Pat and mike, where Alice has a cameo role.
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 13th, 2005, 07:00 AM   #62
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Found this pic of the 1948 French final. Nelly Landy (on the right) was the ONLY non-American winner of the "Big 3" slams until 1957 when Brit Shirley Bloomer won in Paris.

Nelly was also the only Belgian to win a slam until Henin

Louise Brough told me Shirly Fry (on the left) was voted the "friendliest" of all the Tennis Hall of fame members.

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 10:16 PM   #63
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Bump up for an era when real women could volley.....
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #64
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Margaret Osborne duPont

A wonderful picture of her with the U.S. Championships trophy. She, more than any other tennis player I've seen, looks very much like my own mother. You'll notice she has her purse with her. Imagine Justine Henin-Hardenne carrying her pocket-book along up to the trophy ceremony!

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 06:13 PM   #65

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoanHJ
I can easily imagine that Pauline Betz would be a doll. I read her biography and she seemed to have such a wonderful self-deprecating sense of humor. Althea Gibson was the same way in her book. Both seem like they'd be fun just to hang out with. Now I hope that Jeffster and I can go down and see Louise Brough. When I talked to her on the phone she seemed so sweet.

I can't wait to hear the full report. What did she say about the pro tour?
Not only was she a doll last year, but check out the gams on Pauline in this photo from the mid-40s!

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 09:31 PM   #66

Margaret Osborne duPont

From baseliner Bobbie, to one of the greatest volleyers ever:

Old Aug 17th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #67

Louise Brough

Pauline described her game as powerful, attacking tennis, with a hard first serve, and (I think these were her exact words)- "which she missed alot"!

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #68
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Thanks for the pics Alfa- that's a graceful shot of Louise, who's hopefully having herself a warm southern California winter!
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 01:15 AM   #69
country flag trivfun

trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of
Why do all these women have or had dorky husbands? Give up!

Because that is the only way to beat them.
trivfun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 01:18 AM   #70
country flag trivfun

trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of
The only person I liked from the 1940's is Margaret Osbourne DuPont. I remember hearing that she was got into it with Darlene Hard and that her partner's daughter got killed in a horse riding accident. I hope she is doing okay.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 11:37 AM   #71
country flag canoe.

canoe. has a brilliant future canoe. has a brilliant future canoe. has a brilliant future canoe. has a brilliant future canoe. has a brilliant future canoe. has a brilliant future canoe. has a brilliant future canoe. has a brilliant future canoe. has a brilliant future canoe. has a brilliant future canoe. has a brilliant future

I wish more of todays players would dress, and play more like this.
canoe. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #72
country flag trivfun

If Pauline cuts her hair in that picture, she would look like Ted Schroeder.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 01:10 AM   #73
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Re: Serve and Volley-40's tennis

Quote:
If Pauline cuts her hair in that picture, she would look like Ted Schroeder
C'mon Triv-the only thing really masculine about "Bobbie" was her nickname! She was a tomboy though, no doubts there. One of Pauline's trademarks was
jumping the net after a victory.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 03:48 AM   #74
country flag trivfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
C'mon Triv-the only thing really masculine about "Bobbie" was her nickname! She was a tomboy though, no doubts there. One of Pauline's trademarks was
jumping the net after a victory.
She was No. 1 in her econ's class in Rollins. Gets a scholarship to play on the men's basketball team. Then gets a masters at Columbia, No. 1 in Econ. This was a tomboy that stayed one. Who goes into real estate and manages her life that independently? I mean that was the 40's not now. I mean it was her mom that put her in tennis because she was afraid of her masculinity. Who has killer instinct like hers Connolly, King, Evert, Graf, and Seles? Who beats Althea Gibson when they are 40 and five months pregnant--2 and 3? Then a local pro said in 1976 that Pauline could play on the WTA tour. More on the line of Georgia O'Keefe, I say. A tomboy who never grew up despite marriage and five children. It is there.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 01:25 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivfun View Post
She was No. 1 in her econ's class in Rollins. Gets a scholarship to play on the men's basketball team. Then gets a masters at Columbia, No. 1 in Econ. This was a tomboy that stayed one. Who goes into real estate and manages her life that independently? I mean that was the 40's not now. I mean it was her mom that put her in tennis because she was afraid of her masculinity. Who has killer instinct like hers Connolly, King, Evert, Graf, and Seles? Who beats Althea Gibson when they are 40 and five months pregnant--2 and 3? Then a local pro said in 1976 that Pauline could play on the WTA tour. More on the line of Georgia O'Keefe, I say. A tomboy who never grew up despite marriage and five children. It is there.
When and if you ever get the chance, I suggest you watch a classic old B&W film from 1948 called "Adam's Rib". It stars one of Pauline's best and long time friends, Katharine Hepburn. It might be an eye-opener for you regarding the difference between strong women and the tomboy archetype (if there is such a thing). Just because she was fast and had great hand-eye coordination, and liked the challenge of competition, doesn't mean she was painting variations of the clitoris on her off hours. In fact, she had quite a reputation with the men. Too bad Spencer Tracy and Bobby Riggs are no longer around to attest. I can attest from having met her that she is all woman.