Serve and Volley-40's tennis - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 6th, 2004, 12:21 PM   #46
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo

They had both Alice Marble and Helen Wills in 1939-thrilled to hear there voices-Helen's was almost girlish!
Is Helen Wills the only tennis player who's mentioned in a song from a Broadway musical? (To be filed under "Useless Trivia Item of the Day")
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 6th, 2004, 02:04 PM   #47
country flag RoanHJ

RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Shucks. Althea Gibson is in a John Wayne movie as a maid, but I've yet to see it. I finally did get to hear Alice's voice. I bought a CD full of "Information Please", a radio show. They had both Alice Marble and Helen Wills in 1939-thrilled to hear there voices-Helen's was almost girlish!

Somewhere still there might be an Alice Marble or Althea Gibson record album. I think both released just one each.

Marble's favorite song is mine too. "I've Got my Love To Keep Me Warm".
Have you seen the ESPN Classic bio on Alice? In it you will see a clip from that movie and you can hear her sing.

Speaking of voices, in 1954, there was a show called "This Is Your Life." You can see and hear Alice, Althea and Helen Jacobs. Also, you can see Eleanor Tennant. Tennant talks like a gangster's moll and she loves to call everyone "honey."
RoanHJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 05:13 AM   #48
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Today I got to meet the Jeffster (Alfa) and we both interviewed Pauline Betz.
What a doll

P. S. Don't worry Roan-we got to ask her about Alice and you'll get a full report if Alfa hasn't already filled you in...she thought the spy story and the marriage were both a lot of bunk.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 05:04 PM   #49
country flag RoanHJ

RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Today I got to meet the Jeffster (Alfa) and we both interviewed Pauline Betz.
What a doll

P. S. Don't worry Roan-we got to ask her about Alice and you'll get a full report if Alfa hasn't already filled you in...she thought the spy story and the marriage were both a lot of bunk.

I can easily imagine that Pauline Betz would be a doll. I read her biography and she seemed to have such a wonderful self-deprecating sense of humor. Althea Gibson was the same way in her book. Both seem like they'd be fun just to hang out with. Now I hope that Jeffster and I can go down and see Louise Brough. When I talked to her on the phone she seemed so sweet.

I can't wait to hear the full report. What did she say about the pro tour?
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 07:57 PM   #50
country flag RoanHJ

Within the last three weeks I have been able to talk to Louise Brough and now Pauline Betz. I'm starting to get a good view of this generation. Pauline talked about playing tennis on grass, clay, wood, cement and yes, once on board an aircraft carrier during the war. Perry Jones is starting to come out as something of a tyrant. Louise called him a "dictator" and Pauline told me she "wasn't one of his favorites." He ran one of the biggest tournaments in the West. The Pacific Southwest which was sort of like a year ending type tournament. Believe it or not is came right after the U.S. National.

I loved hearing about how four or five of them would leave out of California and head East. Playing Essex, Rye, and East Hampton. All grass court events. Pauline said sometimes they stayed in very nice houses and sometimes some "jerky" place. She told me she played for the "competition." She loved it.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 10:46 PM   #51
country flag Adammco

Adammco is an unknown quantity at this point Adammco is an unknown quantity at this point Adammco is an unknown quantity at this point Adammco is an unknown quantity at this point Adammco is an unknown quantity at this point Adammco is an unknown quantity at this point Adammco is an unknown quantity at this point Adammco is an unknown quantity at this point Adammco is an unknown quantity at this point Adammco is an unknown quantity at this point Adammco is an unknown quantity at this point
Roanhj: are you going to post details of your conversation with Pauline Betz? I'd love to hear what she has to say....
Adammco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 04:35 PM   #52
country flag RoanHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adammco
Roanhj: are you going to post details of your conversation with Pauline Betz? I'd love to hear what she has to say....

Later this week, I'm going to go back over the tape. Then I'll go ahead and post some of what she said. One thing that did interest me. She told me that she made more money playing the "sport's circuit" then she did playing pro tennis. Basically, you went around the country doing different things. She played table tennis. One thing I am finding out about this generation is they often did other games to make money. Btw, Alice Marble played in a table tennis tournament in Southern California. Many of the men made money in card games in the locker room. Pauline told me Bobby Riggs gambling wasn't at all unusal among the men.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 01:41 PM   #53
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
I bet they suckered some of those old country club types at cards-LOL Has anyone read the latest book on Bobby Riggs? He won a ton of money on himself by betting he would win the singles, doubles, and mixed at Wimbledon in 1939-the odds incredible but he did it.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 05:21 AM   #54
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Here's a profile of Thelma Coyne Long. Long is an apt description of her career-she played from the 1930s to the 1950s and served Australia in World War two. In all she won 19 slams-4 Aussie singles and the rest doubles or mixed.

http://www.womenaustralia.info/biogs/AWE0432b.htm

Old Sep 15th, 2004, 11:32 AM   #55
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I bet they suckered some of those old country club types at cards-LOL Has anyone read the latest book on Bobby Riggs? He won a ton of money on himself by betting he would win the singles, doubles, and mixed at Wimbledon in 1939-the odds incredible but he did it.
Not really- with Alice Marble as a mixed doubles partner, how could he go wrong? If I'm not mistaken (please correct me if I'm wrong), Don Budge didn't play that year (after winning the Grand Slam in 1938). Riggs defeated Elwood Cooke (who later married Sarah Palfrey) in the 1939 men's final, whom Pauline said was a very good player, and actually helped Sarah's game tremendously. I'm anxious to listen to Roan's tapes from her Pauline phone interview too, Rollo, however, I have to do a book review and a few other tennis-related duties before I can actually sit down to listen (apologies to Roan- thanks for your patience).
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 04:44 PM   #56
country flag RoanHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
Not really- with Alice Marble as a mixed doubles partner, how could he go wrong? If I'm not mistaken (please correct me if I'm wrong), Don Budge didn't play that year (after winning the Grand Slam in 1938). Riggs defeated Elwood Cooke (who later married Sarah Palfrey) in the 1939 men's final, whom Pauline said was a very good player, and actually helped Sarah's game tremendously. I'm anxious to listen to Roan's tapes from her Pauline phone interview too, Rollo, however, I have to do a book review and a few other tennis-related duties before I can actually sit down to listen (apologies to Roan- thanks for your patience).
If memory serves me correctly, Budge made his pro debut in Jan. of 1939.

Having Bobby as a doubles partner must have been a bit tough on just about any of his female partners. I know during one mixed match he ran right into Alice and knocked her down in his rush to get to the ball. Also, Pauline joked about how he hit every shot but her return of serve.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 11:57 AM   #57
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold
Here is an article from the sixties under the heading Champions in Their Day.
Lawn Tennis and Badminton May 1, 1963. The magazine is now defunct so there shouldn't be a problem!

ANITA LIZANA - SOUTH AMERICA'S FIRST GREAT WOMAN PLAYER.

"The emergence of a number of world class players from South America during recent years (Maria Bueno, Alex Olmedo, Mexico's Davis Cup Challenge Round team) brings back memories of South America's first great woman player - Senorita Anita Lizana.

Senorita Lizana was born in Santiago, Chile, and first came to England in 1935. Her trip was sponsored by the Chilean Lawn Tennis Association who, with limited financial resources, had to be sure of picking the right player. She fully justified her associaton's choice by winning eight of the thirteen English tournaments in which she entered.

A colourful and bubbling personality Anita Lizana at times threw caution to the winds and it was then she suffered some unnecessary downfalls. But such a gaiety was one of her greatest charms. Her strength of play lay in the simple mixture of forehand and backhand strength, intermingled to perfection with an uncanny drop-shot. And her natural flair for the game inevitably gave her a place in the top rank.

A second visit to England in 1936 showed signs of great things to come. That season she became Covered Court Singles Champion and Irish Singles Champion. At Wimbledon she reached the quarter-final where she met Helen Jacobs. After a tight struggle Senorita Lizana led 4-2 in the final set only to lose but there was some consolation in the fact that she lost to the eventual champion.

Her greatest year was 1937. A major early-season success was the winning of the British Hard Court Singles title, a triumph she achieved without the loss of a set and which included such victims as leading British players, Miss Dorothy Round and Miss Peggy Scriven.

At Wimbledon she was seeded third. She progressed comfortably to the quarter-final, including Miss Betty Nuthall amongst her victims, but there found the control of the leading French player, Mm R. Mathieu too much and her great opportunity was destroyed by her straight-set defeat. At that stage Dorothy Round and Jadwiga Jedrzejowska, the famous Polish player, would have been her most likely opponents and on form her chances of success were considered to be high. But it was not to be.

Almost two months later, at the U.S. championships at Forest Hills she was irresistable as she went through to win the title without the loss of a set. Prominent Americans to fall to her were Mrs. van Ryan and Miss Bundy. In the final against Miss Jedrzejowska. Anita Lizana was the unquestioned champion, losing just six games. Thus she was the first South American to win this title and her results for the season brought her a wotld No. 1 ranking.

Despite the fact that she was the world's top-ranked lady player, Senhorita Lizana was not seeded at Wimbledon in 1938. Here, history repaeted itself. Again she met Simone Mathieu and again she was beaten this time 6-4 6-4.

After her engagement and marriage to Ronald Ellis, Anita played less but after the war she was very prominent in a number of Scottish tournaments. In 1949 she was a finallist in the Scottish Hard Court Singles, Doubles and Mixed finals and in 1950 won the Singles and the Doubles in 1955.

Her daughter Ruth Ellis has played at Wimbledon and shown promise. Let us hope she gives tennis followers as much pleasure as her mother did."

I think at one stage a Blaster nominated her for the ITHOF. She really only played 6 Grand Slam events from 1935-1938 but maybe she deserves it for her place in history as the first South American to win a Slam and be ranked No. 1 in the world.
chris whiteside is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 12:55 PM   #58
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Great article Chris-it would have taken me forever to type!

Funny how many mother-daughter combos we've had in slams. I wonder what happened to her

For the life of me I can't figure out why she was #1 in 1937 rather than Round-must be the head to heads.

She must have been a charmer, as all talk about how charming "the Senorita" was.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 05:51 PM   #59
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Great article Chris-it would have taken me forever to type!

Funny how many mother-daughter combos we've had in slams. I wonder what happened to her

For the life of me I can't figure out why she was #1 in 1937 rather than Round-must be the head to heads.

She must have been a charmer, as all talk about how charming "the Senorita" was.
It did! I am a three-finger typist.

Round only played Wimbledon of the Slams, Sperling won the French and reached the quarters at Wimbledon, Jedrzejowska was runner-up at both Wimbledon and Forest Hills and reached the semi at RG, and Lizana was quarter-finallist at Wimbledon and US champion. It does say in the article she won the British Hard Court title that year beating Round. It was regarded as a very important tournament in those days. So overall she probably deserved the #1 ranking.
chris whiteside is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 12:26 AM   #60
country flag RoanHJ

These are a few quotes from an article in The Fort Wayne Journal-Gasette, August 26, 1940. Anyway, it gives you an idea of how society viewed women tennis players. It's clear that women tennis players had to be perceived as being very feminine. It's about Alice Marble and especially her legs. Which apparently back in the 40s was of major concern. The article is called Alice Marble Serves Up Beauty Hints :

" The champions legs are nearly perfect, with a grand summer tan, and are free of hair. Her toenails, bright red, match her fingernails and lipstick. She has learned to use makeup since she was called down for using too much during a match."

" Her only rigid muscles are of the waist and diaphragm..."

Lord knows we don't want any muscles anywhere else.

Last edited by RoanHJ : Feb 10th, 2005 at 02:14 AM.