Serve and Volley-40's tennis - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 13th, 2003, 09:46 PM   #31
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Bump up. There was a thread about tennis stars as entertainers in GM-and the 1940s had Jinx Falkenburg (see pics in this thread) and Gussy Moran, both sex symbols in the 1940s.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 20th, 2003, 01:36 AM   #32
Zummi

Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold
I don't know if she was a S&Ver but here is a photo of Magda Rurac from the Romanian Tennis Federation website. It's not very clear but she must have been very young at this time.

She later defected to the USA, I think. And she also simultaneously competed in table tennis on the international level, like Ann Jones.
Zummi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 02:33 PM   #33
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the pic Zummi!

I wish I knew more about Magda. I think you are right about her defecting-she basically lived in the US after 1946. Her best years were taken away by the second World War. When the war ended she was past her prime.

She caused a sensation on the Riviera in 1947 by upsetting then world #1 Pauline Betz. Her best surface was clay-I don't know about her playing style.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 05:46 AM   #34
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Since Dodo Bundy was most prominent in the late 30s and early 40s here's a cool article on her-she talks about greats like Marble and Betz in here...LOL about when she and Pauline raninto soldiers laps

http://********************/scoop_062304.html

Dodo Cheney remembers Hall of Fame career
On WWII exos: 'Troops would pack right up against the lines, so we played cute angles on purpose and would end up running right into their laps. They loved it and so did we!'

By Matthew Cronin

[img]http://********************/tr.net_photos_art/CHENEY_cnichols_comp.jpg[/img]
Carolyn Nichols/www.carolynnichols.com
In her day, Dodo Cheney was a top American player … but it's still her day.

FROM WIMBLEDON – In two weeks time, Dodo Cheney will inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame for a number of reasons: her mind-boggling 343 USTA national titles, her 20 Senior Grand Slams, being the first US women to win the Aussie Open.

But perhaps the most important reason is that she truly embodies the essence of the sport. "I tell everyone I meet to play tennis," said Cheney. "It's so much fun and teaches you so many life lessons. It's brought nothing but positives into my life."

The queen of the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club isn't the only player going into the Hall on July 11 in Newport; legends Steffi Graf and Stefan Edberg will also be inducted in the Hall of Fame's 50th anniversary year.

Cheney – who has more gold balls emblematic of an American championship than anyone on Planet Earth – was beside herself when she found out she was going in beside 22-time Slam winner Graf. "When you read Steffi records and then read mine, there's not much of a comparison. But, we're from different times and I'm just so flattered," she said.

BORN TO TENNIS CHAMPIONS
Born Dorothy Bundy on September 1, 1916 to May Sutton, the winner of 1904 US Championships and '05 and '07 Wimbledon, and Tom Bundy, a U.S. doubles champion (1912- 1914), Dodo doesn't remember living a day without a racket in her hand.

After impressing Norman Brookes at the Pacific Southwest, she and doubles partner Dorothy Workman received an all-expenses paid trip Down Under in 1938 for what was then called the Australian Championships. The boat ride – which included fellow players Don Budge and Gene Mako – took three weeks, but the two Dorothys had a blast.

"We met two brothers and had so much fun," Cheney said. "Dorothy dated the older one and I became good friends with the younger one. The trip didn't seem that long."

Cheney remembers little about her title run, other than that the favored Nancy Wynne Bolton was knocked out by Dorothy Stevenson, who Dodo KO'd 6-3, 6-2 in the final. She and Workman lost in the doubles final to Wynne/Thelma Coyne. "I don't remember much about the match, but I still have the trophy," said Cheney. "It's four inches tall. They make them a lot bigger these days."

At the Slams, she also reached the mixed final at both Roland Garros and Wimbledon in 1946. A true backboard with deft touch, Cheney played all the greats (Helen Wills Moody, Helen Jacobs and Alice Marble) and partnered with a number of them, including Pauline Betz. She even chaperoned Grand Slammer Maureen Connolly during the year she was engaged to Norman Brinker.

A FEW VICTORIES AGAINST THE BEST
"Marble had an awfully good serve and ground strokes and focused really well," said Cheney. "The only time I beat her was at Forest Hills in 1937 and then I lost in the semis. Jacobs used to wax me, but I beat her once. I played Wills when she was older. She was very quiet. Pauline was one of my best friends and I loved her dearly. She was very fast and had one of the best backhands ever, but I did beat her once in the Southern California final."

World War II cut Cheney's career short. Although she worked in a Santa Monica defense factory looking for lost parts, she kept her game up. She and Betz did a series of exhibitions for the troops in the Pacific and, of course, made the most of it.

"The courts were really short and the troops would pack right up against the lines, so we played cute angles on purpose and would end up running right into their laps. They loved it and so did we!"

The bubbly Cheney says that she's enjoyed all her unprecedented gold ball runs. But the one title that brings back the sweetest memories occurred in 1976, when she and her daughter Christine Putnam won the National Grass Mother Daughter in Philly.

"We'd played in others before but just couldn't quite get there," said Cheney, who also teamed with Christine to win the '02 USTA National Grass Court Super-Senior Mother Daughter Championships. "It's just so special to win with your daughter."

Cheney has triumphed in every age group from the 35s through the 80s. Remarkably, she has had no major injuries and is only now dealing with arthritis in her knees. By the time she touches down in Newport, she could have notched her 345th title, a nice round number for a person who plans on playing until the tennis gods call her home.
"I keep at it as long as I enjoy it and I always have," she said. "What I'd really like is to do is play with Christine in a National Super-Duper Senior Mother Daughter! They just have to create one."

Old Jul 13th, 2004, 06:25 PM   #35
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
What a terrific thread- I'm sorry I haven't discovered it earlier. Lots and lots of great and informative reading and pics, and apropos with the recent induction ceremony at the ITHF regarding Dodo Cheyney! I especially appreciate the information about Pauline Betz Addie. I have so many of these players' autographs, and have compiled a nice little collage featuring the great women of tennis (which hangs at our local racquet club), however, there is so little discussion or knowledge about them that's really out there for the general public to spark interest. Great job Rollo! Keep up the good work!
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 06:50 PM   #36
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all
Enjoy reading about the champions of long ago. My tennis knowledge is limited before the 60's so thanks for the education.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 01:13 AM   #37
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Thanks for the interest folks. To be honest I don't know much either-but as I like history it's all fun

Alfa-how close to Maryland are you? Pauline Betz used to live in the Washington area. Would you possibly be interested in teaming up with me and doing an interview with her if I can locate her and she's willing?

It's just a thought. Time is running out and many of these old champs have priceless memories they might be willing to share. With Roan researching Alice Marble we might even be able to ask Pauline about her.

Let me know-I don't have the balls to do it alone.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 11:57 AM   #38

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
Thanks for the interest folks. To be honest I don't know much either-but as I like history it's all fun

Alfa-how close to Maryland are you? Pauline Betz used to live in the Washington area. Would you possibly be interested in teaming up with me and doing an interview with her if I can locate her and she's willing?

It's just a thought. Time is running out and many of these old champs have priceless memories they might be willing to share. With Roan researching Alice Marble we might even be able to ask Pauline about her.

Let me know-I don't have the balls to do it alone.
I'll PM you.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 04:23 PM   #39
country flag RoanHJ

RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
I'll PM you.
Well, I tried to post a current picture of Pauline but alas I'm not having any luck Anyway, Jeff and Rollo if you go to google and type in Pauline Betz and Sidwell you should fine a fairly current story on her and in that story they tell you where she's staying now.

Last edited by RoanHJ : Jul 14th, 2004 at 04:35 PM.
RoanHJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 06:28 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoanHJ
Well, I tried to post a current picture of Pauline but alas I'm not having any luck Anyway, Jeff and Rollo if you go to google and type in Pauline Betz and Sidwell you should fine a fairly current story on her and in that story they tell you where she's staying now.
What a terrific article- well worth sharing- thanks Roan:

http://www.sidwell.edu/retired_forme...ives/Addie.htm
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 01:25 PM   #41
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Baba Madden Lewis-ranked #21 in the US in 1948. (Tulsa, Oklahoma)
#5 in doubles with Marta Bennett.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 08:34 PM   #42
country flag RoanHJ

RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough
Alice Marble was only 27 years old by the end of 1940. In Nov. of that year she made the choice to turn pro. By turning pro Alice could no longer play in the US National. The pro tour in the 1940's was very limited. Alice played, as far as I know, only against Mary Hardwick whom she clearly out classed on the court. But, Alice needed the money. Alice spent much of the 1940's doing everything from raising money for war bonds and the Red Cross to radio and yes, even the movies. Here's one of Alice Marble's movie posters from 1949. Btw, anyone got any info on this little pic? I saw a clip of it when ESPN ran one of their classics on Alice but I still don't know if this was just a film short or something that just didn't get much or any release.

Old Aug 5th, 2004, 12:26 PM   #43
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Love the poster Roan!

It was a short movie. Here's the link:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0545006/

Have you ever seen Pat and Mike? I'd like to see Alice with Hepburn and Tracy.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 07:49 PM   #44
country flag RoanHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
Love the poster Roan!

It was a short movie. Here's the link:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0545006/

Have you ever seen Pat and Mike? I'd like to see Alice with Hepburn and Tracy.

I did indeed see it The thing is Alice has only a brief non- speaking scene in the movie. I'd love to find out what happened in regards to Alice's movie career. I know for years she took singing lessons and right after Wimbledon of 1939, she hooked up with an agent, but things just went no where. I know her singing was ok but far from great. From what I've read she tended to be too monotone.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 12:08 PM   #45
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
I did indeed see it The thing is Alice has only a brief non- speaking scene in the movie. I'd love to find out what happened in regards to Alice's movie career. I know for years she took singing lessons and right after Wimbledon of 1939, she hooked up with an agent, but things just went no where. I know her singing was ok but far from great. From what I've read she tended to be too monotone.
Shucks. Althea Gibson is in a John Wayne movie as a maid, but I've yet to see it. I finally did get to hear Alice's voice. I bought a CD full of "Information Please", a radio show. They had both Alice Marble and Helen Wills in 1939-thrilled to hear there voices-Helen's was almost girlish!

Somewhere still there might be an Alice Marble or Althea Gibson record album. I think both released just one each.

Marble's favorite song is mine too. "I've Got my Love To Keep Me Warm".