Venus limps to victory over Martina in Warsaw (article) & post-match comments - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 4th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #1
country flag DelMonte

DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future
Venus limps to victory over Martina in Warsaw (article) & post-match comments

WARSAW, May 4 (Reuters) - Venus Williams hung on for a dramatic 4-6 7-5 6-4 victory over Martina Hingis on Thursday to reach the quarter-finals of the Warsaw Cup.

American Williams, who has been taking medication for a throat infection, suffered cramps in the final set and could barely move at the end of only her third match of 2006.

Hingis had every opportunity to win the two hour 38-minute battle and the nightmare of her struggle to get the better of the Williams sisters, which many in the game believe played a part in her retirement in 2002, re-emerged.

A strong wind prevented both players from producing their best tennis and Swiss Hingis came within two points of victory over the Wimbledon champion at 5-4 in the second set.

"Being up a set, 5-4, 30-0 she's almost like giving it to me," said Hingis. "But then she came out fighting and that's what brought her the victory."

Williams was thrilled to have won such a challenging match so early in her comeback. The seventh seed is playing this week for the first time in over three months.

"I guess I said that prayer just in time," Williams told reporters. "It was just crazy, it was intense. Even I wouldn't expect that of myself. Definitely just living in the moment.

"Each and every win is nice. This is obviously an amazing moment. It's definitely a wonderful sign, this early in my return."

Although Williams held for 5-5 in the second set and conceded just two points in the remainder of the set, cramps struck her when she had broken to lead 1-0 in the third set.

She received treatment at 1-1 after dropping her serve, again after breaking to love to lead 2-1, and once more when leading 3-2.

When Hingis, like Williams a former world number one, broke her to love to level at 3-3 it appeared as if the American's challenge was over.

Barely able to lift off to serve, or to move, she relied on hitting out as hard as she could at any ball that came within reach.

The American's big forehand had already given Hingis major problems, and there were enough of them in the desperate last stages to prevent the Swiss taking control.

The power of her opponent forced Hingis into errors, and after an exchange of breaks to 4-4, a forced backhand error gave Williams another break for 5-4 and she served out for the match.

"You just want to make her run and don't miss, but you should be more aggressive and make more out of it. Sometimes I was just hoping for her to miss," said Hingis.

Instead, it was the desperate Williams who went for her shots. "A lot of them I missed," she said, "but I got to make a lot of them too. I saw no reason to give up. I saw only a reason to continue."

Source: http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/news...archived=False

Last edited by DelMonte : May 4th, 2006 at 04:45 PM.
DelMonte is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #2
country flag Paneru

Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute
Well, that explains the lack
of quality as well.(windy)

So hopefully people will
shut up about it already.
Paneru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #3
country flag Brooks.

Brooks. has a reputation beyond repute Brooks. has a reputation beyond repute Brooks. has a reputation beyond repute Brooks. has a reputation beyond repute Brooks. has a reputation beyond repute Brooks. has a reputation beyond repute Brooks. has a reputation beyond repute Brooks. has a reputation beyond repute Brooks. has a reputation beyond repute Brooks. has a reputation beyond repute Brooks. has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelMonte
Williams limps to victory over Hingis in Warsaw
Thu May 4, 2006 3:20 PM BST

WARSAW, May 4 (Reuters) - Venus Williams battled to a dramatic 4-6 7-5 6-4 victory over Martina Hingis on Thursday to reach the quarter-finals of the Warsaw Cup.

American Williams, who has been taking medication for a throat infection, suffered cramps in the final set and could barely move at the end.

Hingis had every opportunity to win the two hour 38-minute battle and the nightmare of her struggle to get the better of the Williams sisters, which many in the game believe played a part in her retirement in 2002, re-emerged.

A strong wind prevented both players from producing their best tennis and Swiss Hingis came within two points of victory at 5-4 in the second set.

Although Williams held for 5-5 and conceded just two points in the remainder of the set, cramps struck her when she had broken to lead 1-0 in the third set.

She received treatment at 1-1 after dropping her serve, again after breaking to love to lead 2-1, and once more when leading 3-2.

When Hingis, like Williams a former world number one, broke her to love to level at 3-3 it appeared as if the American's challenge was over.

Barely able to lift off to serve, or to move, she relied on hitting out as hard as she could at any ball that came within reach.

Her big forehand had already given Hingis major problems, and there were enough of them in the desperate last stages to prevent the Swiss taking control.

The power of her opponent forced Hingis into errors, and after an exchange of breaks to 4-4, a forced backhand error gave Williams another break for 5-4 and she served out for the match.

Source: http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/news...NIS-POLAND.XML
Brooks. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:45 PM   #4
Foot_Fault

Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute
"I saw no reason to give up. I saw only a reason to continue." , Venus Williams May 2006, Warsaw, Poland.

This is a quote of all quotes!

Rafael Nadal

Venus Williams

2000, 2001, 2005, 2007 and 2008 Wimbledon Champion - Venus Williams Kicks GrASS!!
Foot_Fault is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:51 PM   #5
Viktymise
King

Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot_Fault
"I saw no reason to give up. I saw only a reason to continue." , Venus Williams May 2006, Warsaw, Poland.

This is a quote of all quotes!
I know ye its really inspirational
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:52 PM   #6
country flag Williams Rulez
Team WTAworld

Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute
thanks for e article... hope venus recovers...

Mary : Monica : Svetlana : Sania : Jennifer : Amelie
Roddick : Grosjean : David : Djokovic
Williams Rulez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #7
Foot_Fault

Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenavee
I know ye its really inspirational
what about this from the writer...

Her big forehand
had already given Hingis major problems, and there were enough of them in the desperate last stages to prevent the Swiss taking control.

GO VENUS!!

Rafael Nadal

Venus Williams

2000, 2001, 2005, 2007 and 2008 Wimbledon Champion - Venus Williams Kicks GrASS!!
Old May 4th, 2006, 05:13 PM   #8
country flag Vut
Team WTAworld

Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute
congrats VENUS! better luck Martina
Old May 4th, 2006, 05:16 PM   #9
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
"I saw no reason to give up. I saw only a reason to continue."

Brings to mind the 2006 Australian Open final.
Old May 4th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #10
country flag vwfan

vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute
it's all good. it like the forehand comment.
if players make a mistake of going to that well too often (as Davenport did in the Wimbledon final), it will be their undoing. especially if Venus is on and hungry and they don't have a Plan B!
vwfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 05:28 PM   #11
Foot_Fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana
"I saw no reason to give up. I saw only a reason to continue."

Brings to mind the 2006 Australian Open final.
You 'bout to start a WAR!

Rafael Nadal

Venus Williams

Old May 4th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #12
country flag RenaSlam.

RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute
VENUS!

Rest up for the QF vs. Sveta.
__W00.01.05.07.08__USO00.01__

Step.
RenaSlam. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #13
Chance
Keeper of Secrets

Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future
Great to Vee back on court

Hingis seems to be playing the same strategy from 2001- playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

Veelieve
Chance is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #14
country flag hingis-seles

hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute
Hingis called her own serve "disgusting."

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:58 AM   #15
country flag vwfan

vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingis-seles
Hingis called her own serve "disgusting."

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns
I watched the clip and Hingis' serve just didn't hold up. One of the things Venus did in the last couple service games of Hingis was to stands several feet inside the baseline to return serve. She sent a not so subtle message that: "if you get that ball anywhere in this box, i'm going to make you eat it." Then, she hit a few winners and deep returns in case her positioning was not clear enough.
That's pretty intimidating! Hard to serve well in those circumstances, particularly if you don't have confidence in your serve game.
vwfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote