Hingis...and the future?!? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 4th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #1
country flag CaptnMatt

CaptnMatt has much to be proud of CaptnMatt has much to be proud of CaptnMatt has much to be proud of CaptnMatt has much to be proud of CaptnMatt has much to be proud of CaptnMatt has much to be proud of CaptnMatt has much to be proud of CaptnMatt has much to be proud of CaptnMatt has much to be proud of CaptnMatt has much to be proud of CaptnMatt has much to be proud of
Hingis...and the future?!?

I know it's only one loss....and it's killed me just sitting here watching the scoreboard for the past 2 and a half hours....

But Martina Hingis is a disappointment. So many games I watched the scoreboard tick over.....Hingis leads 40-0, 40-15, 30-0.....break points galore, game points galore....she almost NEVER converted unless Venus took it to deuce and she fought to win from there.

I have never seen a player drop so many of these crucial points....a top player i mean.....a player of Hingis' ability. The confidence to win against Venus simply isn't there. Hingis doesn't believe she can do it anymore.

I think she believes she can beat Sharapova, Davenport, other players....but Venus and Serena Williams will ALWAYS have Hingis's number unless she fights past that mental barrier.

I am Hingis's greatest fan....and I do believe her serve needs improvement. But she led 64 30 and 64 54 30-0 today. It should have been over in straight sets - even if she wasnt playing her best. This was on clay and is Venus's 3rd match of the year...

I'm all for praising Venus - I think she did tremendously well.....but Im also quick to admit that if Venus had played another top player today, the match would have been over after they'd reached 64 30 or 64 54.
I honestly dont know what to think about Hingis' future....either she turns up to play and forgets the past, or she'll continue to lose these big matches.....no chance of another grand slam.
CaptnMatt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #2
country flag Billabong

Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute
I know, Martina really wasted many opportunities and she'll think about that loss for quite a time I think... It was her best chance to beat Venus in a long time and she really blew it... Some people say she was even in tears when she left the court I don't know about Venus' injury degree, but we all know she wasn't 100% and Marti couldn't finish her off... She won't have a better chance

Visit My Tennis Matches Website
Billabong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #3
country flag Joana

Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute
This match showed that her issues with closing out big matches are still not and probably will not be solved.
Joana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #4
country flag alfonsojose

alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute
It's only her 2nd on clay. And The Willimases are always in her head.

Time will tell but she hasn't improved that much i think
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #5
country flag jamatthews

jamatthews has a reputation beyond repute jamatthews has a reputation beyond repute jamatthews has a reputation beyond repute jamatthews has a reputation beyond repute jamatthews has a reputation beyond repute jamatthews has a reputation beyond repute jamatthews has a reputation beyond repute jamatthews has a reputation beyond repute jamatthews has a reputation beyond repute jamatthews has a reputation beyond repute jamatthews has a reputation beyond repute
Who knows, sometimes people can get over the top after these types of losses...How many people would have expected Clijsters to fight back against Venus, and hold off a battling Sharapova after what happened at RG?
jamatthews is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #6
country flag xtooL

xtooL is a glorious beacon of light xtooL is a glorious beacon of light xtooL is a glorious beacon of light xtooL is a glorious beacon of light xtooL is a glorious beacon of light xtooL is a glorious beacon of light xtooL is a glorious beacon of light xtooL is a glorious beacon of light xtooL is a glorious beacon of light xtooL is a glorious beacon of light xtooL is a glorious beacon of light
I was disappointed - Didnt feel great watching the match too .

I duno if she will ever become the player she once used to be .. or a player that oponents fear..
xtooL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:11 PM   #7
country flag PLP

PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute
Here's another thought...Maybe she really needed to lose this match. She can't win big tournaments and fail to convert on so many BP's and GP's...I know, that was really disturbing to watch throughout the match. Plus Venus could barely serve at the end and Martina still managed to lose!! I think she will definitely bounce back, I just hope she learns she needs to be more aggressive at the right times, and on the serve as well, she has the shots, just not the belief yet. As negetive as I was being midway through that match, I am over it and I just think we as fans need to be supportive and remember this is her first clay tournament back...Berlin could be a different story...Come on Martina!
PLP is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #8
country flag AsGoodAsNew

AsGoodAsNew has a brilliant future AsGoodAsNew has a brilliant future AsGoodAsNew has a brilliant future AsGoodAsNew has a brilliant future AsGoodAsNew has a brilliant future AsGoodAsNew has a brilliant future AsGoodAsNew has a brilliant future AsGoodAsNew has a brilliant future AsGoodAsNew has a brilliant future AsGoodAsNew has a brilliant future AsGoodAsNew has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joana
This match showed that her issues with closing out big matches are still not and probably will not be solved.
Gasps with shock! I agree with you! Martina had so many chances in Grand Slam finals to take her tally to over 10.

I can't understand why Martina just doesn't believe. I thought on her return she would have overcome this. it is weird. But I'm still so glad she is back.
AsGoodAsNew is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #9
country flag gsm

gsm has a brilliant future gsm has a brilliant future gsm has a brilliant future gsm has a brilliant future gsm has a brilliant future gsm has a brilliant future gsm has a brilliant future gsm has a brilliant future gsm has a brilliant future gsm has a brilliant future gsm has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnMatt
The confidence to win against Venus simply isn't there. Hingis doesn't believe she can do it anymore.
pure speculation, it wasnt guaranteed she would win any matches on her return this yr.

IMO her results this yr have been waaay better than most would have guessed at the start of the yr.

IMO the fact that she had heaps of missed game points verse vee in a tight 3 set match will give her confidence that she is very, very close to the top level.

BTW, i didnt see or follow the match.
gsm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:29 PM   #10
Dawn Marie

Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute
I don't believe that against anyone else Venus would lose. Hingis is a CONSISTANT player. Venus goes for her shots. She would do better playing a power hitter who goes for shots too.

Give Hingis a break. She played VENUS man. AFTER 4 long years! Venus. We're not talking about some okey dokey player but THE PHUCKING VENUS WILLIAMS!! THESE two play each other hard. So much pride was on the line. Hingis should be proud especially knowing that Venus doesn't give up lightly. Having alot of chances in a match means nothing playing a player like Venus. This was one of those Venus keeps coming back and plugging away moments. If anything Venus shoud have won this in straights. Being up 3/1 then losing the first set!!
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. "Cree Native American Prophecy"
Dawn Marie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote