Yet another 'Let's bash Monica' thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 21st, 2002, 02:02 PM   #1
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
Yet another 'Let's bash Monica' thread

I've never liked Monica Seles, really. I was only just getting to accept Steffi when Monica came along. (I was a HUGE Navratilova fan. 5' 10", 240 lbs ) I didn't like the fashion spreads, the fake attempts at glamour, the two hands off both sides. Especially of course, I hated the constant winning by a player I never really cared for. As a result, I am also one of those people who constantly forgets how good Monica Seles is. Never mind was. Is.

Recently I dumped the RG and WB 2001 points and was (somewhat) shocked to see Monica #3.

'How could this be?', I wondered.

So I went back over Monica's year. And was frankly astounded. She's NOT just cleaning up in small tournaments. She's NOT always losing to the Williams sisters. Of 17 tournaments, she's played 2 GS, 5 Tier I's, 6 Tier II's, 3 Tier II's and 1 Tier IV. A very nice mix. More impressive, she's failed to make the semis only twice, won 4 and made 3 finals (I threw out Madrid from last year because that tournament has started.) Nothing on clay, supposedly a good surface for her*, except Madrid.

She's running DEEP into tournaments almost everytime. hard to believe anyone recommends retirement for a player having a year this good.

SF Stanford
FR San Diego
FR Los Angeles
SF Canadian Open (I)
16 U.S. Open USA (GS)

CH Bahia
CH Japan Open
CH Shanghai

SF Australian Open
FR Toray Pan Pacific
SF Paris
CH Doha
SF Dubai
SF Indian Wells
SF Miami USA
16 Charleston

__ Madrid ESP

* 3 RG titles

Forget everyone else. THIS is the player I want as far away form Venus and Serena as possible. Like Venus, Monica can be knocked off by a lesser player on a bad day. Fine. Let them. I see absolutely no need for any favorite of mine to face Monica across the net til the semis. 14 semis or better in 16 tournaments. And she's beaten pretty much everyone ranked ahead of her.

I think a Monica-Kim QF would be great. A Jenn-Monica QF, fine. I do not want to see Williams vs Seles til as late as possible. To be honest, I don't want to see it at all, not at a GS. Call me faithless if you want to. I can see. This is NOT a player you want your favorite playing. Period.
Volcana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2002, 02:14 PM   #2
mishar

mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of
Very nice thread, Volcana.

It's strange how when Monica has one or two bad losses people are ready to forget all about her, and dismiss all the good matches she's had earlier in the year and last summer. When she's rested and healthy she's dangerous. She's had a great record at Roland Garros.
In 9 French Opens she has
-- never lost before the quarterfinals
-- reached the quarterfinals twice
-- reached the semifinals three times
-- reached the finals once
-- won three times.

The last three times she played, shes only lost to the eventual champion.

btw, her fashion spreads and "glamour" period (LOL) seems rather puny compared to what the players do nowadays. I think she had maybe two or three "glamorous" photo shoots and she got so much flak for it. Now it's commonplace, Anna of course, but also Martina in GQ, Venus and Serena on the cover of many magazines, etc..
mishar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 02:15 PM   #3
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
"fashion spreads, the glamour, the two hands off both sides"

Those are the very reasons I liked her in the first place!

If Justine doesn't win her first GS, I hope Monica takes this title home! Go Monica!
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 02:26 PM   #4
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
Well mishar, I'm not suggesting my attitude about Monica was founded on reason. Still when you look at the record, it's just f*ckin' scary. If I were stupid enough to bet money on a clay tourney, I'd definitely put a few shekels on her.

Last edited by Volcana : May 21st, 2002 at 02:34 PM.
Volcana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 02:28 PM   #5
country flag Monica_Rules

Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute
Great thread Volcana!

Looking at those results i also forget the year Moni has had

Keep it up this week and in Roland Garros Moni

Naomi Broady, Tara Moore, Heather Watson , Laura Robson

Johanna Konta, Eleanor Dean
, Sam Murray
Katy Dunne Katie Boulter
Monica_Rules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 02:46 PM   #6
country flag AjdeNate!
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.

AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute
I like this kind of bashing!
Just kidding; Actually it's nice to see these results spelled out on paper for the general populi.
AjdeNate! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 02:50 PM   #7
country flag wongqks
Team WTAworld

wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of
Volcana

You are full of class, thankyou for your post
wongqks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 03:23 PM   #8
Kart

Kart is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah thanks for posting this thread Volcana - it's nice to see from a non-fan .
Kart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 05:30 PM   #9
barmaid

barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future
Wink Monica bashing???

Quote:
Originally posted by Kart
Yeah thanks for posting this thread Volcana - it's nice to see from a non-fan .
I agree Kart, Monica has always been one of the "classier" gals on the WTA tour...her reputation for niceness is well known but I also think she has been underestimated of late and Volcana has pointed out her stats as being very competitive...so because Martina can't be there a win by Monica would be welcome!! Good Luck Monie!!

barmaid
barmaid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 05:47 PM   #10
country flag harloo

harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute
good stats Volcana, I hope Monica goes all the way. I do feel like her best chance was at the AO this year. She had finally gotten over the Martina hump, and had owned jen. I thought she was so close to winning it all after taking out Venus.

Anyways, I think she is a floater than can win at RG unexpectedly. Although my money is still on Henin, Serena, or Jen. But if you noticed Monica owns Jen, and she has something over Henin and she has beaten Serena one time. So it's a possibility that she can win it all.

Monica is so classy in either win or defeat and I would be so happy if she takes it all even if my fave doesn't win. I wish her the best of luck in RG.
harloo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 06:00 PM   #11
disposablehero

disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future
The Monica bandwagon is leaving the station tomorrow morning (I'm driving). We have to, because we won't have any room for all the people who want to climb aboard after Monica has a couple of matches at Madrid. Good to see you found yourself a seat beforehand.
disposablehero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 08:26 PM   #12
country flag Jarrett
Don't mess with Texas!

Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of
lol
"Gee, Quinn... I hope that little foray of yours into Geekland just now is the result of heat exhaustion, and not an unpleasant side effect of all that tutoring. I mean, you're not turning into a brain, are you?" -- Sandi

Jarrett is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 08:28 PM   #13
country flag hingis-seles

hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Volcana!

MONICA RULES!!!~

disposablehero, since you're driving the Monica bandwagon, I'd like to be the conductor!
Old May 21st, 2002, 08:41 PM   #14
Weevee

Weevee is just really nice Weevee is just really nice Weevee is just really nice Weevee is just really nice Weevee is just really nice Weevee is just really nice Weevee is just really nice Weevee is just really nice Weevee is just really nice Weevee is just really nice Weevee is just really nice
I've said it before I'll say it again: Volcana is good!
Weevee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 09:57 PM   #15
country flag Couver
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute
Those are pretty impresive stats. I think a lot of people fail to notice how consistent Monica can be. I wish some of the commentators saw this thread. Then maybe they would stop bashing her all the time, jeez.

I think Monica has a great shot at RG, because she took sometime to rest. Last summer when she came back from injury she beat Martina & Jennifer very handily, and she also beat Serena. So she's going into RG refreshed.

Personally I would love Monica to take Jennifer down in the quarters. I'll never forgive her for whinning about Monica's grunts last summer. Plus the fans at RG love her, but then who doesn't?

GO MONICA!

Couver is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote