Some Duke Lacrosse Players Want To Transfer Out; At Least One Elite School Says NO - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 05:49 PM   #1
country flag lizchris

lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Some Duke Lacrosse Players Want To Transfer Out; At Least One Elite School Says NO

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12407016/from/RS.1/

Syracuse refuses Duke lacrosse transfers

Blue Devils' Greer, nation's top scorer in 2005, was recruited by Orange

NBCSports.com news services
Updated: 12:51 p.m. ET April 20, 2006

Syracuse University will not allow any Duke lacrosse players to transfer to its school, even though some Blue Devils are reportedly seeking their release amid the rape investigation that has rocked the school, the Syracuse Post Standard reported Thursday.

"I think it would be inappropriate," Syracuse athletic director Daryl Gross said.

Syracuse coach John Desko said Duke has notified him that Blue Devils sophomore attackman Zack Greer, who led the nation with 57 goals last season, wants to transfer out of Duke and apparently to the Orange, since it's standard procedure that a thletes will ask the schools they are leaving to contact the schools to where they want to go, the Post Standard said.

The Orange originally recruited Greer before he chose to go to Duke.

The Baltimore Sun reported on Tuesday that Greer had expressed interest in Delaware and Penn State.

Desko said told the Post Standard that Greer, nor other Duke players, had called him or the athletic department. He added that he would not make any comments about the possibility of Duke players transferring to Syracuse until the case is finished.

"My position would be that I couldn't comment about anything until speaking with the chancellor and the athletic director," Desko said Tuesday afternoon. "I'm assuming there would be no position until the situation is resolved."

Gross told Desko that Syracuse would not accept the transfer of Duke players.

"I wouldn't be interested in our coaches recruiting players from Duke, given the situation," Gross said. "I think it would be inappropriate. . . . So the policy for us would be 'No.'"

It still kind of falls back to if a kid committed to Duke," Gross said, "then he had an intention to go to Duke."

USA Today said that about a dozen Duke players are exploring transferring.

© 2006 NBC Sports.com
Vania King, Sloane Stephens
Michael Joseph Jackson|1958-2009|RIP King of Music

Whitney Elizabeth Houston|1963-2012|RIP Queen of Music
lizchris is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #2
country flag ptkten

ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute
I think it's sad that everyone else on the team who is innocent has to deal with all the negative consequences. Whether or not the three players are guilty or innocent shouldn't affect those who weren't involved. The way this whole situation has been handled has been awful. Hopefully the truth will come out soon and those people, if any, who did this will be brought to justice, so that all the other players will be allowed to go on with their lives.

McHale-Stephens-Watson-Robson-Townsend

Brodsky-Muhammed-Hampton-Keys-Crawford-Andrews-Hardebeck
ptkten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #3
country flag wta_zuperfann
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute
Syracuse Orange is my favorite team and I am a long time supporter.

The SU community is divided over Dr Gross' comments. One thing's for sure: while the lax program may be called "elite" as we are the top Division I team in the modern lax era, SU is NOT an elite school.

For the record, I believe in an open door policy and all are welcomed into our community.

Abraham Lincoln
wta_zuperfann is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #4
country flag bw2082

bw2082 has a reputation beyond repute bw2082 has a reputation beyond repute bw2082 has a reputation beyond repute bw2082 has a reputation beyond repute bw2082 has a reputation beyond repute bw2082 has a reputation beyond repute bw2082 has a reputation beyond repute bw2082 has a reputation beyond repute bw2082 has a reputation beyond repute bw2082 has a reputation beyond repute bw2082 has a reputation beyond repute
Seeing as there is no professional lacrosse (that I know of) he should stay at Duke and get his degree.

Since when is Syracuse an elite school?

Last edited by bw2082 : Apr 20th, 2006 at 09:26 PM.
bw2082 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #5
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute
There are two pro leagues in North America: the MLL which plays in Summer, and NLL which plays in Winter. However, NLL plays "box" lacrosse which is indoors and is less of a skilled game and more of a physical game. MLL will be expanding into the West Coast this season while NLL has played in the Midwest for a while.

Abraham Lincoln
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:30 PM   #6
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Syracuse: definitely NOT an elite school --

http://www.syracuse.edu/

Abraham Lincoln
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:31 PM   #7
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptkten
I think it's sad that everyone else on the team who is innocent has to deal with all the negative consequences. Whether or not the three players are guilty or innocent shouldn't affect those who weren't involved.
You definition of 'weren't involved' needs work. EVERY member of the team question said nothing happened. The DA and medical people say they saw injuries on that victim/student/mother-of-two-children consistent with sexual assault. What would you do, if you were Syracuse?

You have pretty good evidence a crime occurred.
You know the whole lacrosse team was there.
The whole lacrosse team says NO crime occurred.

Would you want a rapist, OR SOMEONE WHO PROTECTS RAPISTS, on your college campus?
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:34 PM   #8
country flag Sanneriet

Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana
You definition of 'weren't involved' needs work. EVERY member of the team question said nothing happened. The DA and medical people say they saw injuries on that victim/student/mother-of-two-children consistent with sexual assault. What would you do, if you were Syracuse?

You have pretty good evidence a crime occurred.
You know the whole lacrosse team was there.
The whole lacrosse team says NO crime occurred.

Would you want a rapist, OR SOMEONE WHO PROTECTS RAPISTS, on your college campus?
Was the black member there? Somehow I thought not. Maybe I just could not imagine the players using racial slurs against the women if his presence. I have been naive in the past, though. I was thinking only about 20 members were there.
Sanneriet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:43 PM   #9
country flag lizchris

lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanneriet
Was the black member there? Somehow I thought not. Maybe I just could not imagine the players using racial slurs against the women if his presence. I have been naive in the past, though. I was thinking only about 20 members were there.

He was according to his father.

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:43 PM   #10
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Was the black member there? Somehow I thought not.
Actually, I thought he WAS there, but I'll look for an article that makes a statement one way or the other. Same thing on the actual number of players who attended.
Quote:
Maybe I just could not imagine the players using racial slurs against the women if his presence.
Two things.

1) Get a bunch of guys together with one or two women + get the guys drunk = The possibity of the lowest forms of depravity you can name.

2) There's a concept among Jews called 'self-hating Jews'. There are 'self-hating Blacks' as well, but it doesn't always manifest the same way. Black guys like that will easily join in the degradation of a Black woman. In that way, racism IS like sexism. They are both cultural diseases. Both Blacks and Whites are often biased against Blacks. Both women and men are often biased against women.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:47 PM   #11
country flag Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, they didn't requite a DNA sample from him... perhaps that's why you thought he wasn't there?
Crazy Canuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:52 PM   #12
country flag Sanneriet

Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana
There's a concept among Jews called 'self-hating Jews'. There are 'self-hating Blacks' as well, but it doesn't always manifest the same way. Black guys like that will easily join in the degradation of a Black woman. In that way, racism IS like sexism. They are both cultural diseases. Both Blacks and Whites are often biased against Blacks. Both women and men are often biased against women.
Black men here would have no problem degradating women (black/white/colored) but it would NEVER happen if a white man were around. That is my perspective.
Sanneriet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #13
country flag lizchris

Exclamation

Quote:
Black men here would have no problem degradating women (black/white/colored) but it would NEVER happen if a white man were around. That is my perspective.
It would depend on waht type of setting they are in.