A question of tennis dresses and being ladylike - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 20th, 2002, 08:57 PM   #1
country flag AjdeNate!
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.

AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute
A question of tennis dresses and being ladylike

Over the past week and a half, I've watched a handful of tennis matches on tv with my mom. She's not a fanatic, and only knows Martina I & II, Monica, Steff, Chris, but not so many of the younger players. Some of her comments really got me thinking. Since she is 'new' to some of the new players, playing styles, outfits, attitudes, etc. I think I'd group her with the 'common' people, as far as, most people in the world have no idea what certain tennis players look like, let alone their names.

Anyway, to my point... She really got me thinking about a few things. She wanted to know where the 'predominantly' white outfits went. She was surprised to see the girls playing with pinks, purples, yellows, etc. Along the same lines, she really found it inappropriate some of the dresses that were being worn. Everytime a certain player served, her already 'barely there' shirt would ride up and you could see her bra. Another player's "skirt" and I use the term as loosely as the fabric was being worn, showed another players ass. Yes she had on 'spankies'...but you could still see her ass everytime she moved.

She wondered if tennis' female athletes were gaining something by exposing themselves. Yes they all look good, and are very athletic, but is there ever a time that showing your undergarments or ass is appropriate? She really found it awful, how poor the sport has gotten - insofarasmuch as attire. She finds the level of play and competition level to be amazing, but just thinks perhaps the girls need to cover their best ass-ets.

Thoughts? (And, if you bash my mother I will personally kick your booty )
AjdeNate! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2002, 09:03 PM   #2
country flag angele87

angele87 has a brilliant future angele87 has a brilliant future angele87 has a brilliant future angele87 has a brilliant future angele87 has a brilliant future angele87 has a brilliant future angele87 has a brilliant future angele87 has a brilliant future angele87 has a brilliant future angele87 has a brilliant future angele87 has a brilliant future
Well like you, my mum is also a very casual tennis watcher and only watches tennis when I watch. Anyways like your mum, she has a few comments about the outfits today... she was particularily at Daniela's little cocktail dress from OZ and also had a few choice words for Anna K lol

There is no saint without a past, and no sinner without a future. - Shri Haidakhan Babaji

Wisdom is the quality that keeps you from getting into situations where you need it. - Doug Larson

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
angele87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2002, 09:49 PM   #3
country flag Fingon

Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute
players should play in toppless
Fingon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2002, 10:18 PM   #4
country flag Venus+Serena#1fan

Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold
They should wear whatever they want and whatever they feel comfortable in, i hate when ppl make comments like 'oh they want to be more popular so they expose themselves' do you really know that??? no, so let them wear what they want and live in peace.
Venus+Serena#1fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2002, 10:30 PM   #5
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
The definition of 'ladylike' has changed over the years. Women particiapting in athletics AT ALL wasn't considered 'ladylike', in my lifetime. Jenni C's running ..err .. commentary is still brings me up short. But that isn't a reflection on Jenn, it's a reflection on ME. My S.O. wouldn't be caught dead in skirts as short as the players wear. If I got to choose her wardrobe, half of it would be exactly like what the players wear.

Values differ.
Volcana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2002, 10:35 PM   #6
country flag Bella

Bella has disabled reputation
I don't think that's what you wear when you want to live in peace.

That's what you wear when you want to flaunt what you've got.

I like their clothes, but I wish the ones who gain a little here and there would keep an extra size around. (say...Jen, Serena)
Bella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2002, 10:39 PM   #7
disposablehero

disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future
Short tennis skirts are ladylike as long as there is underwear beneath.
disposablehero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2002, 11:14 PM   #8
country flag Venus+Serena#1fan

Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold
living in peace is doing what u want, for the players that wear sexy dresses, thats part of living in peace for them.
Venus+Serena#1fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 02:07 PM   #9
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Well I prefer the 1920's, 30's fashions, I loved the way Suzanne and Helen Wills used to dress. Players today would look absolutely elegant and ladylike in those dresses. Fingon, topless? that'll be the day I stop watching or associating with this sport. LOL
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2002, 03:02 AM   #10
sickish1

sickish1 is an unknown quantity at this point
What the hell are 'spankies'?
Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:21 AM   #11
country flag Williams Rulez
Team WTAworld

Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

I think it is fine... this is nothing compared to what Britney wears...

Or Mariah... she wears undergarments as clothes...

Mary : Monica : Svetlana : Sania : Jennifer : Amelie
Roddick : Grosjean : David : Djokovic
Williams Rulez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2002, 10:06 AM   #12
country flag Beat

Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute
these are tennis players. they are athletes. athletes usually wear not too many clothes. they don't have to be "ladylike". they have to run around. they have to hit balls. and yes, sometimes they even sweat.
Beat is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2002, 10:55 AM   #13
country flag salima

salima has a brilliant future salima has a brilliant future salima has a brilliant future salima has a brilliant future salima has a brilliant future salima has a brilliant future salima has a brilliant future salima has a brilliant future salima has a brilliant future salima has a brilliant future salima has a brilliant future
What is "laydylike". A player should wear what he or she felt comfortable to play in. In my mothers days the women used to ski in long dresses. Perhaps it is ladylike, but fortunately she never insisted me to put on her skiing outfit. When it comes to sport I like to see the body move, like to see the legs move, arms move, asses move.Balance, coordination, control, power and elegance. That´s tennis.
salima is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote