Favourite Martina match - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 10:15 PM   #1
country flag Martian Martin
Team WTAworld
The Martian Llama

Martian Martin has a brilliant future Martian Martin has a brilliant future Martian Martin has a brilliant future Martian Martin has a brilliant future Martian Martin has a brilliant future Martian Martin has a brilliant future Martian Martin has a brilliant future Martian Martin has a brilliant future Martian Martin has a brilliant future Martian Martin has a brilliant future Martian Martin has a brilliant future
Favourite Martina match

Ok I know it'll come to a big shock to you all that I'm starting a tennis thread However I think a thread like this is needed because this is a good chance to bring back some happy memories of Martina's great matches

Strangely enough I think despite Martina winning the 5 Grand Slam matches and 35 other titles, my favourite two matches include none of these wins.

The matches I would choose is:
2001 Quarters Australian Open v Serena 6-2 3-6 8-6
1999 Semis US Open v Venus 6-1 4-6 6-3

Both matches followed the same sort of pattern in that Martina dominated the opening set and played some fantastic tennis. However in the second set she was pegged back and looked on the ropes going into the third. The match against Serena she was a double break 4-1 down and I think also 5-3 down but in the end it was sheer guts that allowed her to achieve the victory. The Venus match was another one where it was determination not to lose that won in the end and the quality from both players was tremendous.

Other matches I must mention:
1997 Wimbledon final v Novotna - The tournament where I really started to become a Martina fan.
2001 Aus Open semis v Venus - A 6-1 6-1 scoreline, defeating both Williams back to back in less than 24 hours.
2006 Aus Open 1st round v Zvonareva - This was the first time I had seen Martina since her comeback and it was a match that I never thought I would see again. Martina was simply amazing.

I wonder what everyone else will think and vote as their favourites
Martian Martin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 01:54 AM   #2
country flag Martian Stacey
Team WTAworld

Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute
I was going to say that Serena one

I also remember a good 3 setter with Lindsay, it was the final of Sydney in 2001 i think. There was a point when Martina got frustrated and totally destroyed her racquet It was a similar sort of match to the Serena one, where she started well, then got into a bit of trouble, but was able to come back in the third set

I also quite enjoyed her win over Lindsay at Indian Wells this year, even though i didn't get to see the full match
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 05:04 AM   #3
country flag LoveFifteen
Gone with the Wind fabulous!

LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute
LoveFifteen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #4
country flag Flappie

Flappie has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian Martin
i chose these match you big bugger!

Delicious Martin
Flappie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:20 AM   #5
country flag Hingie

Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future
That quarter final with Serena is a tough one to go past but i have a few more to add:

2000 Aussie Open 3rd round, Marti took on a young girl breaking onto the scene - her name was Justine Henin (at the time) - Marti taught her a lesson - something like 6-3 6-3 - JH played well but Marti was in one of her 'let's teach this young wannabe a thing or two' moods!

She played an awesome semi-final against Schett at the Sydney tournament (when it was at White City) - i remember both girls playing really well and Marti hit this awesome backhand down the line from outside of the court (lucky she didn't take out the umpire tower thingie) - it was brilliant.

There was a Chase Championships final against Lindsay which was great too - i think it may have even gone to 5 sets and the quality was brilliant.

I'd love to add the 2002 Aussie Open final and 99 French final but of course they can't be faves CAUSE SHE DIDN'T WIN AND SHOULD HAVE! As you can see, i've resolved all my issues with these matches!
Hingie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:21 AM   #6
country flag Hingie

Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future
Oh there was a semi in Zurich against J.Cap which was great - Marti was playing precision tennis at its best and poor Jenn could do nothing but sweat in really awkward places!
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #7
Team WTAworld

Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hingie
Oh there was a semi in Zurich against J.Cap which was great - Marti was playing precision tennis at its best and poor Jenn could do nothing but sweat in really awkward places!
Um.. eww

Also thought of...

AO 2001, def. Venus 6-1 6-1

And i agree with Martin about the Zvonereva match, though it would have been stacks better if she cried
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:36 AM   #8
country flag Hingie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian Stacey
Um.. eww

Also thought of...

AO 2001, def. Venus 6-1 6-1

And i agree with Martin about the Zvonereva match, though it would have been stacks better if she cried
The Zvonereva match was boring - i was saying all along to those who thought she wouldn't get through that - "have you ever seen her play"??

I enjoyed the Marti/Mary matches at the Aussie too - great seeing Mary really confused and not knowing what to do. I think it's the sheer confusion Marti causes for other players that makes her highly entertaining.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:48 AM   #9
Team WTAworld

Quote:
The Zvonereva match was boring - i was saying all along to those who thought she wouldn't get through that - "have you ever seen her play"??

I enjoyed the Marti/Mary matches at the Aussie too - great seeing Mary really confused and not knowing what to do. I think it's the sheer confusion Marti causes for other players that makes her highly entertaining.
But it was good just to say Martina play at the AO again Plus she played some nice points
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 01:58 PM   #10
country flag j@zmin

j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light j@zmin is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian Martin
Ok I know it'll come to a big shock to you all that I'm starting a tennis thread However I think a thread like this is needed because this is a good chance to bring back some happy memories of Martina's great matches

Strangely enough I think despite Martina winning the 5 Grand Slam matches and 35 other titles, my favourite two matches include none of these wins.

Both matches followed the same sort of pattern in that Martina dominated the opening set and played some fantastic tennis. However in the second set she was pegged back and looked on the ropes going into the third. The match against Serena she was a double break 4-1 down and I think also 5-3 down but in the end it was sheer guts that allowed her to achieve the victory. The Venus match was another one where it was determination not to lose that won in the end and the quality from both players was tremendous.

Other matches I must mention:
1997 Wimbledon final v Novotna - The tournament where I really started to become a Martina fan.
2001 Aus Open semis v Venus - A 6-1 6-1 scoreline, defeating both Williams back to back in less than 24 hours.
2006 Aus Open 1st round v Zvonareva - This was the first time I had seen Martina since her comeback and it was a match that I never thought I would see again. Martina was simply amazing.

I wonder what everyone else will think and vote as their favourites
That is a great list. Those matches were amazing.

If I have to choose:

1) 2001 Quarters Australian Open v Serena 6-2 3-6 8-6, she put her heart on every single point, specially in the third. A great and intense match.

2) 1999 Semis US Open v Venus 6-1 4-6 6-3, The first set was really short, Martina played fantastic, lost her focus in the second, and fought back in the third with incredibles shots.

3) 2001 Aus Open semis v Venus - A 6-1 6-1. Venus didn' t have a chance here, Martina was too good.

4) 2006 Semis Tokyo v Sharapova 6-3 6-1. This is, until now, her best match in 2006. Martina played great, her serve was on, she didn´t face a break point in the whole match, she moved incredible and had more winners than Maria.
j@zmin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 11:10 PM   #11
country flag Hingie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j@zmin
That is a great list. Those matches were amazing.

If I have to choose:

1) 2001 Quarters Australian Open v Serena 6-2 3-6 8-6, she put her heart on every single point, specially in the third. A great and intense match.

2) 1999 Semis US Open v Venus 6-1 4-6 6-3, The first set was really short, Martina played fantastic, lost her focus in the second, and fought back in the third with incredibles shots.

3) 2001 Aus Open semis v Venus - A 6-1 6-1. Venus didn' t have a chance here, Martina was too good.

4) 2006 Semis Tokyo v Sharapova 6-3 6-1. This is, until now, her best match in 2006. Martina played great, her serve was on, she didn´t face a break point in the whole match, she moved incredible and had more winners than Maria.
Oh, i forgot about the Hingis Vs Sharapova match in Tokyo - it was awesome and Marti was in great form. Very inspired play.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 01:11 AM   #12
country flag Barlos

Barlos has a brilliant future Barlos has a brilliant future Barlos has a brilliant future Barlos has a brilliant future Barlos has a brilliant future Barlos has a brilliant future Barlos has a brilliant future Barlos has a brilliant future Barlos has a brilliant future Barlos has a brilliant future Barlos has a brilliant future
Quote:
Oh, i forgot about the Hingis Vs Sharapova match in Tokyo - it was awesome and Marti was in great form. Very inspired play.
Grrr, I wanted that one Only joking but I do think that was Martina's best performance this year, she was incredible!

My other favourite matches are the Wimbledon '97 final and the 2001 quarter against Serena, a fabulous match! What a fight
Barlos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 05:31 AM   #13
country flag hingis2002cn

hingis2002cn is a glorious beacon of light hingis2002cn is a glorious beacon of light hingis2002cn is a glorious beacon of light hingis2002cn is a glorious beacon of light hingis2002cn is a glorious beacon of light hingis2002cn is a glorious beacon of light hingis2002cn is a glorious beacon of light hingis2002cn is a glorious beacon of light hingis2002cn is a glorious beacon of light hingis2002cn is a glorious beacon of light hingis2002cn is a glorious beacon of light
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 06:33 AM   #14
Team WTAworld

Is there anyone who doesn't regard that match against Serena as one of their favs?
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 06:41 AM   #15
country flag PLP

PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian Stacey
Is there anyone who doesn't regard that match against Serena as one of their favs?
That's a great match!
My new fave is the Sharapova match, Tokyo/2006 semi's. Hingis played with such smart aggression, with confidence, and her serve was totally on. If she plays like that at RG she could definitely win it!

Old Favs: '97 US Open Final/2000 Chase Final

Favorite Match Martina didn't win: '96 Chase final, what heart and spirit Martina showed at such a young age!
PLP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote