Mind Puzzle (try this, its interesting) - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 04:21 AM   #1
country flag Perfection

Perfection has a reputation beyond repute Perfection has a reputation beyond repute Perfection has a reputation beyond repute Perfection has a reputation beyond repute Perfection has a reputation beyond repute Perfection has a reputation beyond repute Perfection has a reputation beyond repute Perfection has a reputation beyond repute Perfection has a reputation beyond repute Perfection has a reputation beyond repute Perfection has a reputation beyond repute
Mind Puzzle (try this, its interesting)

This picture is used as a test to demonstrate that people may not attach sounds to shapes arbitrarily: A remote tribe calls one of these shapes Booba and the other Kiki. Decide which is which and then scroll down to check your answer.

In a psychological experiment first designed by Wolfgang Köhler, people are asked to choose which of these shapes is named Booba and which is named Kiki. 95% to 98% of people choose Kiki for the orange angular shape and Booba for the purple rounded shape.

It is thought that this has implications for language development, in that the naming of objects is not completely arbitrary. The rounded shape may most commonly be named Booba because the mouth makes a more rounded shape to produce that sound. Similarly a more taut, angular mouth shape is needed to make the sound Kiki. The sounds of a "K" are harder and more forceful than those of a "B", as well.

These studies are classified under Synaesthesia Phenomena.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I knew the explanation even before they described it, but still it is very interesting! What was your answer?
Perfection is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 05:15 AM   #2
country flag Haute

Haute has a reputation beyond repute Haute has a reputation beyond repute Haute has a reputation beyond repute Haute has a reputation beyond repute Haute has a reputation beyond repute Haute has a reputation beyond repute Haute has a reputation beyond repute Haute has a reputation beyond repute Haute has a reputation beyond repute Haute has a reputation beyond repute Haute has a reputation beyond repute
That's interesting, never really thought about shapes being associated with sounds though.

I went with the orange being Kiki and the purple being Booba.

I'm not going to Rupologize!
Haute is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 05:54 AM   #3
country flag ico4498
My Queen ah di original champion.

ico4498 has a reputation beyond repute ico4498 has a reputation beyond repute ico4498 has a reputation beyond repute ico4498 has a reputation beyond repute ico4498 has a reputation beyond repute ico4498 has a reputation beyond repute ico4498 has a reputation beyond repute ico4498 has a reputation beyond repute ico4498 has a reputation beyond repute ico4498 has a reputation beyond repute ico4498 has a reputation beyond repute
guess i'm not as unusual as i like to think ... kiki just seemed to match the acute angles in the orange figure, booba jes' aint as sharp soundin.

edit: after further thought i'm nor entirely sure i made the connection by sound. the letters in "kiki" consist of straight lines and acute angles just like the figure. likewise the letters in "booba" are more rounded matching the other figure.

btw ... where is this "tribe" from and what is their natural language?

Last edited by ico4498 : Apr 14th, 2006 at 12:17 AM.
ico4498 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote