Patty vs Lisa Raymond: match report - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 8th, 2006, 04:24 PM   #1
vogus

vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute
Patty vs Lisa Raymond: match report

Schnyder d Raymond 62 62, Amelia Island R32.

I had no idea that Raymond had beaten Mirza the previous night and i was really looking forward to seeing the first meeting between Patty and Sania, so it was a bit of a letdown when i found out that match wasn't happening. The 31-year old Raymond has gained some more weight since last year and lost some mobility, so the fact that she beat Mirza in straight sets last night tells you something about where Sania's game is right now.

Even so, Raymond has a pleasing finesse type style and this match, although somewhat lopsided, was far from boring - two finesse players having a bit of a chess game. Patty was in good form and very calm. The green clay, warm sunshine and light wind provided the perfect speed and conditions for her to impose a patient, rhythmic game. Her only hiccup was when she hit 2 double faults and an awful-looking bounce-overhead-from-the-baseline error to lose her serve and go down 2-1 in the first set, but then she played an excellent return game to break right back and after that she was on her way. I can't be 100% certain, but i think Patty went the entire match without hitting a single error from her forehand side. She was basically saying to Lisa, "I'm not going to give you ANYTHING today, so if you'd like to do something spectacular to win this match, be my guest".

Patty was hitting almost everything to Raymond's backhand and Lisa was struggling on that side to handle the spin. For her part Lisa spent the entire match trying to get her own shots to Patty's backhand side, but she rarely succeeded. Despite playing the percentages, Patty managed hit her quota of a few brilliant forehand winners and also a funky little angled, scoop backhand half volley on one of her few net forays. When the match ended on a wide Raymond forehand, Patty ran her career H2H against Lisa to a whopping 7-0.
vogus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote