Davenport: Tour Policy Puts Withdrawal Rap On Players - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 10th, 2006, 10:51 PM   #1
country flag tennisIlove09

tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute
Davenport: Tour Policy Puts Withdrawal Rap On Players

Davenport: Tour Policy Puts Withdrawal Rap On Players

Photo By Susan Mullane By Tennis Week
03/10/2006

During the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Championships in Los Angeles last November, Lindsay Davenport declared her intention to play a shortened schedule in 2006 and suggested she was considering condensing or skipping the clay-court season. In her 14th season on the WTA Tour, the 29-year-old Davenport is completely candid in acknowledging the aches and pains she feels from years of pounding on the court prevent her from committing to a full schedule.

Davenport has informed the WTA Tour of her schedule plans, but the Tour continues to tune her out.

"At the end of Australia, I'm not playing 13 plus the slams. I can't play 17," Davenport told the media in Indian Wells yesterday. "It was still given to me, 'you have to.' 'You mean to tell me you're going to make me enter tournaments and I'm going to have to look bad pulling out even though I'm telling you I'm never going to play it,' and the answer we get is 'yeah, basically.' "

Consequently, the Tour, whose rules require players to commit to 13 events in addition to the Grand Slams, is essentially requiring players like Davenport to enter tournaments they may well have no intention of playing. Tournaments can promote top 10 players as participants in their draws, fans may buy tickets in the belief a top player will play only to later learn the player has pulled out.

"It's a tough position to be in," Davenport said. "I know they've said before, 'We don't want to do that.' Ultimately we're the ones who look bad, even when, at this moment, we tell them we're not going to play." In the aftermath of her loss to Mary Pierce in the 2005 WTA Tour Championships semifinals at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, Davenport announced she planned to play a reduced schedule in 2006. "I really, really am not going to play next year a full schedule anywhere near like I did this year," the 2005 year-end No. 1 said in November. "I think I managed to play in 16 or 17 tournaments. So in that regard, I am not going to try to play for the ranking or whatever. So I am going to see how I feel after those hard court tournaments. This year, with Miami mandatory, after Miami, I am just going to see what happens if I go to the clay or not go to the clay... At the (2005) French (Open), I got to the quarters and I would be surprised if I went back (to the French Open in 2006)."
tennisIlove09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:00 PM   #2
country flag Slumpsova

Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute
so Lindsay is not going to play Roland Garros, i guess.
Slumpsova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:07 PM   #3
country flag blumaroo

blumaroo has a brilliant future blumaroo has a brilliant future blumaroo has a brilliant future blumaroo has a brilliant future blumaroo has a brilliant future blumaroo has a brilliant future blumaroo has a brilliant future blumaroo has a brilliant future blumaroo has a brilliant future blumaroo has a brilliant future blumaroo has a brilliant future
I want Lindsay to play at RG.
I could care less about the regular tournies but a slam is a slam. You shouldn't skip slams if you're not injured. And Lindsay played awful last year and still got to the quarters.

Maria Sharapova/Jelena Jankovic/Justine Henin

Also supporting Carla Suarez Navarro,Na Li, Sabine Lisicki,Karolina Sprem,Samantha Stosur,Tamira Paszek

Amelie Mauresmo/Martina Hingis
blumaroo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:20 PM   #4
CoryAnnAvants#1

CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by blumaroo
I want Lindsay to play at RG.
I could care less about the regular tournies but a slam is a slam. You shouldn't skip slams if you're not injured. And Lindsay played awful last year and still got to the quarters.
I feel like she'll play RG. She's scheduled to play Amelia Island, so it would make zero sense to play that and then not follow it up any with any other clay events. Besides, Lindsay has said all along that she plays for the Grand Slams. Even though she doesn't like clay and she has by far the worst odds of winning RG out of any major, she's enough of a contender to justify going to give it a shot.
CoryAnnAvants#1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:27 PM   #5
Meesh

Meesh has a reputation beyond repute Meesh has a reputation beyond repute Meesh has a reputation beyond repute Meesh has a reputation beyond repute Meesh has a reputation beyond repute Meesh has a reputation beyond repute Meesh has a reputation beyond repute Meesh has a reputation beyond repute Meesh has a reputation beyond repute Meesh has a reputation beyond repute Meesh has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't interpret her comments as skipping any slams.
Meesh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #6
country flag Andrew..

Andrew.. has a reputation beyond repute Andrew.. has a reputation beyond repute Andrew.. has a reputation beyond repute Andrew.. has a reputation beyond repute Andrew.. has a reputation beyond repute Andrew.. has a reputation beyond repute Andrew.. has a reputation beyond repute Andrew.. has a reputation beyond repute Andrew.. has a reputation beyond repute Andrew.. has a reputation beyond repute Andrew.. has a reputation beyond repute
The world number 4 only wants to play 10 events a year. I can see why the WTA would come down hard on her.
Andrew.. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:58 PM   #7
country flag Sabatinifan

Sabatinifan is a name known to all Sabatinifan is a name known to all Sabatinifan is a name known to all Sabatinifan is a name known to all Sabatinifan is a name known to all Sabatinifan is a name known to all Sabatinifan is a name known to all Sabatinifan is a name known to all Sabatinifan is a name known to all Sabatinifan is a name known to all Sabatinifan is a name known to all
I think she should at least play all four GS but she shouldn't be forced into a minimum number outside that.
Sabatinifan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:59 PM   #8
country flag LH2HBH

LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew..
The world number 4 only wants to play 10 events a year. I can see why the WTA would come down hard on her.

I disagree. If the tour won't shorten the season (which I don't think they should), then it should be up to the players to decide whether or not they are over-extending themselves. Also, it's not fair to fans to buy tickets for a player that is not planning to show up.

If Lindsay plays 10 tournaments a year and can play for two more years I am sure the tour would prefer that over her playing 17 events and having to retire early due to burnout or injury.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 12:25 AM   #9
country flag Morrissey

Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold
The WTA is hard on Lindsay because the top players are supposed to support the tour. The rules are the rules.
Morrissey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 12:29 AM   #10
country flag Mark Spruce
I think I am falling in love !!

Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute
Totally agree with you

Something along these lines

TO PLAY LESS IS TO PLAY MORE

regards

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguydsl
I disagree. If the tour won't shorten the season (which I don't think they should), then it should be up to the players to decide whether or not they are over-extending themselves. Also, it's not fair to fans to buy tickets for a player that is not planning to show up.

If Lindsay plays 10 tournaments a year and can play for two more years I am sure the tour would prefer that over her playing 17 events and having to retire early due to burnout or injury.

My MARY PIERCE SITE !!!

Where Is Love I Have Not Found Her Yet

Mark Spruce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 12:36 AM   #11
country flag hablo

hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute
Shame on the WTA tour
Do what you have to do, Lindsay

GO all Canuck players GO
hablo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 12:56 AM   #12
country flag tennisIlove09

tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew..
Right, but by the same token...maybe the WTA should come down harder on players that hardly ever play? I know Venus and Serena have been injured...but seriously, Serena's played in what 2 events since the US Open? Same with Venus?
tennisIlove09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 12:59 AM   #13
country flag Mark Spruce
I think I am falling in love !!

Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute
Mary is the same as Linz I think. Picking the tournaments SHE wants to play. So she can player longer.

When you are older you can't play as much as you were when you first started out.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by hablovah
Shame on the WTA tour
Do what you have to do, Lindsay

My MARY PIERCE SITE !!!

Where Is Love I Have Not Found Her Yet

Mark Spruce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 01:06 AM   #14
country flag SAEKeithSerena

SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute
i don't want her to play. she never does well anyway, and she hates it. let her rest up for wimbledon, cause that is her best shot this year at finally getting her slam.

16-Time Grand Slam Champion.

2013 Titles: Brisbane, Sony Open (Miami), Family Circle Cup, Madrid, Rome, 16th SLAM-THE FRENCH OPEN, Bastad, Roger's Cup

2013 Record: (60-4)
SAEKeithSerena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 01:31 AM   #15
country flag Ryan
NeverWoz

Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguydsl

It is unfair to put the 'blame' on players, but it's not unreasonable to expect them to play a certain amount of events. As someone who makes millions of dollars playing on the WTA, Davenport should have a responsibility to play the slams, and try to play the required amount of events. Ok, something like 14 events is fine, but TEN? That's a little shady IMO.
Ryan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote