Digesting the big, dreaded double bagel - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 03:20 PM   #31
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCP
Chris Evert kills me sometimes.............
Me too
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #32
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by samn
Dunno if Graf won the twelfth game in the second set of the Sabatini match or the first game of the Quentrec match, so I have no idea how many consecutive games Graf did win. I do remember reading somewhere (many years ago) that Navratilova once won five consecutive 6-0 sets, so she might hold the record. I'm not too sure if I'm remembering correctly, though, so maybe someone who has Navratilova's numbers might be able to correct me if I'm wrong.
This thread name is quite expressive, it must be dreadful to lose by that score.
I'll post Sabatini's double-bagels later, I'll just add that she beat once kimberly Po, if I recall correct, 66 60, and the following match she was leading he 5-0 before poor Kim could win a game! Three sets and just a game against the same rival! She must have wanted to kill herself
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 04:47 PM   #33
country flag Supermonica

Supermonica is a name known to all Supermonica is a name known to all Supermonica is a name known to all Supermonica is a name known to all Supermonica is a name known to all Supermonica is a name known to all Supermonica is a name known to all Supermonica is a name known to all Supermonica is a name known to all Supermonica is a name known to all Supermonica is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by netgames
Post stabbing "injured" Monica Seles lost 0-6,0-6 to a PRIME Martina Hingis. I don't think ANYBODY could have doubled bageled Seles before the stabbing. ....

Graf fans always annoy me when they mention that Seles almost was double-bageled by Graf (0-6 1-6) less than one year before Monica's first slam win (suggesting Monica being near peak). Don't they know that Monica's results before March 1990 and post-stabbing DON'T COUNT?

So, for all dumb Grafans to remember: ONLY Seles results from April 1990 until April 1993 (= stabbing) count. And don't say Seles had a 15 year long career!!!
Supermonica is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 06:08 PM   #34
country flag Jippo McScally

Jippo McScally is a glorious beacon of light Jippo McScally is a glorious beacon of light Jippo McScally is a glorious beacon of light Jippo McScally is a glorious beacon of light Jippo McScally is a glorious beacon of light Jippo McScally is a glorious beacon of light Jippo McScally is a glorious beacon of light Jippo McScally is a glorious beacon of light Jippo McScally is a glorious beacon of light Jippo McScally is a glorious beacon of light Jippo McScally is a glorious beacon of light
I remember Monica had something similar against Sarah(?!) Pitowski. She beat her 6-0 6-0, and then in wimbledon beat her in wimby 6-0 6-3
Jippo McScally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 07:19 PM   #35
tommystar

tommystar has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabybackhand
This thread name is quite expressive, it must be dreadful to lose by that score.
I'll post Sabatini's double-bagels later, I'll just add that she beat once kimberly Po, if I recall correct, 66 60, and the following match she was leading he 5-0 before poor Kim could win a game! Three sets and just a game against the same rival! She must have wanted to kill herself
Gaby won 24 consecutive games against Silvia Farina 91 Toronto R32 then 92 French Open R128, (2 years later at the very same place she suffered that painful loss against the Italian.)
tommystar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 09:50 PM   #36
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all
One of the most inexplicable double bagels I've ever heard of was in the 1960 Wightman Cup. Matches were one-all, when doubles great Darlene Hard paired with junior champ Karen Hantze to defeat Wimbledon Champ Angela Mortimer and top player Ann Haydon (Jones). The final was 60 60. As important as the Wightman Cup was, how could two great players allow themselves to be shut out? As good as Hard and Hantze were, there is no way that 60 60 should have been the final score.

You would think that the defeat would've taken the air out of the Brits. Mortimer won a later singles match, Christine Truman won singles and doubles with Brasher. Added in with Haydon's opening win over Hantze and the Brits won 4-3. Strange, though.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:21 AM   #37
country flag netgames

netgames is a name known to all netgames is a name known to all netgames is a name known to all netgames is a name known to all netgames is a name known to all netgames is a name known to all netgames is a name known to all netgames is a name known to all netgames is a name known to all netgames is a name known to all netgames is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermonica
Graf fans always annoy me when they mention that Seles almost was double-bageled by Graf (0-6 1-6) less than one year before Monica's first slam win (suggesting Monica being near peak). Don't they know that Monica's results before March 1990 and post-stabbing DON'T COUNT?

So, for all dumb Grafans to remember: ONLY Seles results from April 1990 until April 1993 (= stabbing) count. And don't say Seles had a 15 year long career!!!
Supersteffi...

Are you referring to a 15 year old rookie Seles on her 1st year as a professional on the women's tour? No, I was not going to stoop to your level and bring in matches when Graf was 15 years of age like you are trying to do with Seles.

How many titles did Steffi Graf win in her 1st three years as a professional? ZERO = BAGEL.

Btw, Sanchez Vicario almost double bageled an in-form PRIME Graf at the 1991 French Open Semifinals 6-0 6-2.
netgames is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 12:06 PM   #38
country flag jeanmi18

jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by netgames
Supersteffi...

Are you referring to a 15 year old rookie Seles on her 1st year as a professional on the women's tour? No, I was not going to stoop to your level and bring in matches when Graf was 15 years of age like you are trying to do with Seles.

How many titles did Steffi Graf win in her 1st three years as a professional? ZERO = BAGEL.

Btw, Sanchez Vicario almost double bageled an in-form PRIME Graf at the 1991 French Open Semifinals 6-0 6-2.

Chris Evert double bagels:

71: Llarana (Ft Lauderdale)
Beddingfeld (Birmingham)

72: Pam Austin (St Petersburg)
Kaligis (Indianapolis)

73: Brinker (Dallas)
Ebbinghaus (Sarasota)
Kyomura (Miami Beach)
Borka (Rome)
Tuero (Cleveland)
Welsh (Atlantic City)
Tenney (Atlantic City)
Bostrom (Indianapolis)
Tuero (Indianapolis)
Krantzcke (Boca Raton)
Rossow (Johannesburg)

74: Szeman (Melbourne)
Sparre (Indianapolis)
Chanfreau (Indianapolis)
Tenney (Toronto)
Pigeon (Denver)
Barman (Tokyo)

+ Krantzcke in St Petersburg 6/7 6/0 6/0 (double bagel but in three sets)

75: Hogan (Sarasota)
Meyer (Amelia Island)

76: Kyomura (Sarasota)
Fretz (Hilton Head)
Struthers (Hilton Head)
Coe (Wimbledon)
Coles (US Open)

77: Kemmer (Seattle)
Bernegger (Federation Cup)
Wythcross (US Open)

78: Stove (Atlanta)

79: Simon (Federation Cup)
Riedel (US Open)

80: Holladay (Cincinatti)
Franch (Roland Garros)
Sands (US Open)
Jevans (Brighton)

81: Hee Lee (Hilton head)
Navratilova (Amelia Island)
Vermaak (Rome)
Durie (Perouse)
Collins (Perouse)
Pasquale (Wimbledon)

82: B Jordan (Amelia Island)
Forood (Roland Garros)
Hee Lee (Tampa)
Austin (Masters)

83: Vermaak (Palm Beach but after losing the first: 3/6 6/0 6/0)

84: Yanagi (Roland Garros)
Benjamin (Roland-Garros)
Walsh (US Open)

85: Bunge (Hilton Head)
Bonder (Tokyo)

86: Lindstrom (Marco Island)
Gildemeister (Houston , however after losing 1 st 6/7 6/0 6/0)
Manuela Maleeva (LA, however after losing first 3/6 6/0 6/0)
Marsikova (US Open)

87: Neslon (Key Biscayne)
Bowes (Key Largo)

88: Moulton (Key Biscayne)
jeanmi18 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #39
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanmi18
Chris Evert double bagels:

71: Llarana (Ft Lauderdale)
Beddingfeld (Birmingham)

72: Pam Austin (St Petersburg)
Kaligis (Indianapolis)

73: Brinker (Dallas)
Ebbinghaus (Sarasota)
Kyomura (Miami Beach)
Borka (Rome)
Tuero (Cleveland)
Welsh (Atlantic City)
Tenney (Atlantic City)
Bostrom (Indianapolis)
Tuero (Indianapolis)
Krantzcke (Boca Raton)
Rossow (Johannesburg)

74: Szeman (Melbourne)
Sparre (Indianapolis)
Chanfreau (Indianapolis)
Tenney (Toronto)
Pigeon (Denver)
Barman (Tokyo)

+ Krantzcke in St Petersburg 6/7 6/0 6/0 (double bagel but in three sets)

75: Hogan (Sarasota)
Meyer (Amelia Island)

76: Kyomura (Sarasota)
Fretz (Hilton Head)
Struthers (Hilton Head)
Coe (Wimbledon)
Coles (US Open)

77: Kemmer (Seattle)
Bernegger (Federation Cup)
Wythcross (US Open)

78: Stove (Atlanta)

79: Simon (Federation Cup)
Riedel (US Open)

80: Holladay (Cincinatti)
Franch (Roland Garros)
Sands (US Open)
Jevans (Brighton)

81: Hee Lee (Hilton head)
Navratilova (Amelia Island)
Vermaak (Rome)
Durie (Perouse)
Collins (Perouse)
Pasquale (Wimbledon)

82: B Jordan (Amelia Island)
Forood (Roland Garros)
Hee Lee (Tampa)
Austin (Masters)

83: Vermaak (Palm Beach but after losing the first: 3/6 6/0 6/0)

84: Yanagi (Roland Garros)
Benjamin (Roland-Garros)
Walsh (US Open)

85: Bunge (Hilton Head)
Bonder (Tokyo)

86: Lindstrom (Marco Island)
Gildemeister (Houston , however after losing 1 st 6/7 6/0 6/0)
Manuela Maleeva (LA, however after losing first 3/6 6/0 6/0)
Marsikova (US Open)

87: Neslon (Key Biscayne)
Bowes (Key Largo)

88: Moulton (Key Biscayne)
That's all very nice, but what were the scores?
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #40
country flag jeanmi18

jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
That's all very nice, but what were the scores?

Six zero
Six zero

double roue de bicyclette as we say in French....
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #41
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Six zero
Six zero

double roue de bicyclette as we say in French....
So tell me JM, what does "Suel avec tous" mean when used in a tennis context? I'm guessing from the translation it is something like "alone with your thoughts", but there is a nice Roland Garros poster at my local club with this phrase underneath a player with his head in his hands, and I always wondered exactly what it meant.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:51 PM   #42
country flag jeanmi18

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
So tell me JM, what does "Suel avec tous" mean when used in a tennis context? I'm guessing from the translation it is something like "alone with your thoughts", but there is a nice Roland Garros poster at my local club with this phrase underneath a player with his head in his hands, and I always wondered exactly what it meant.
Litterally it means 'alone with all': 'seul' is alone and it probably means that, as a tennis player, you're alone on the court when facing your opponent, devising strategy etc. 'tous' can be translated as 'all' or 'everybody' or 'altogether ', depending on the context. It may imply that tennis players are part of this big brotherhood as members of the French or International Federation, even though they are alone on the tennis court

In French 'double bagels' are translated as 'double wheels' (of bicycle), so after the ladies sf of the French 84, the magazine 'Tennis de France' reported that 'Camille Benjamin entra sur le court central pour affronter Chris Evert et s'en repartit à bicyclette aprés 39 minutes...' Camille Benjamin came on central court to play Chris Evert and left on her bike after only 39 mns....

How witty!
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:12 PM   #43
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Litterally it means 'alone with all': 'seul' is alone and it probably means that, as a tennis player, you're alone on the court when facing your opponent, devising strategy etc. 'tous' can be translated as 'all' or 'everybody' or 'altogether ', depending on the context. It may imply that tennis players are part of this big brotherhood as members of the French or International Federation, even though they are alone on the tennis court

In French 'double bagels' are translated as 'double wheels' (of bicycle), so after the ladies sf of the French 84, the magazine 'Tennis de France' reported that 'Camille Benjamin entra sur le court central pour affronter Chris Evert et s'en repartit à bicyclette aprés 39 minutes...' Camille Benjamin came on central court to play Chris Evert and left on her bike after only 39 mns....

How witty!
that IS witty! although it does sound like something bud collins would say, had it been part of american vocabulary. which begs the question...HOW witty?
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:31 PM   #44
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
LOL@ the Camille Benjamin story.

Thry could have added that Chrissie took a couple of spooks for her trophies
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:34 PM   #45
country flag jeanmi18

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11
that IS witty! although it does sound like something bud collins would say, had it been part of american vocabulary. which begs the question...HOW witty?

Not witty if you heard it from someone else and keep re-using it ad nauseam like John Barrett's non-existing angles......

Witty if it is your own creation.....like Bud's pants or is this just bad taste?