Australian Open - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 6th, 2010, 10:24 AM   #121
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold
Re: Australian Open Singles

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinrunner View Post
Well, Chris, I didn't make up my lists of seeded players. They all came from Australian newspapers. I've added the references. You can look them up at:

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au

Use search terms tennis+Australia+seed. Then, limit the results to January of each year and exclude advertisements.
But that's why I'm asking.

There's no point in posting Tommasi's lists if they're open to question.

Rollo isn't fully sure and I suppose you can't be 100% certain but it would seem logical to me that those posted in the Australian Newspapers at the time are almost certainly the correct ones.
Advertisement

Old Aug 6th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #122
AndrewTas

AndrewTas has disabled reputation

Hello. I have the same seeds from the Australian newspapers for 1936, 37, 38, 39 and 1940 as does Austinrunner. I think that we have to take these seeds rather than those of Tommasi as we do not know his sources. But saying this I cant see any differences between what I have and what he has, apart from some missing positions in his. I have the 1935 seeds but I have 8 seeds for 1939. I also have found a reference to 8 seeds for 1934.

All the papers only published the first 4 seeds for the women for 1934 but this article (http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del...rm=tennis+seed) states that Hartigan, Valkenburg, Chitty and Bickerton are in the top half of the draw while Molesworth, Hall, Westacott and Le Messurier are in the bottom half. These names correspond to Tommasi and therefore in this case I believe that Tommasi may be correct.

Here are the 1939 & 35 seeds and 2 other years not mentioned.

1. Boyd
2. Akhurst
3. Lance Harper
4. Bickerton
5. G Toyne
6. Cox
7. Le Messurier
8. M Richardson

1. Boyd
2. Akhurst
3. Bickerton
4. Lance Harper

1. Dorothy Round
2. Joan Hartigan
3. Emily Hood Westacott
4. Nancye Lyle
5. Evelyn Dearman
6. Louie Bickerton
7. Nell Hall Hopman
8. May Blick

Joan Hartigan withdrew before the start of the tournament and Joan Walters was replaced in her spot.

1. Wynne
2. Coyne
3. Hall Hopman
4. Hartigan
5. Stevenson
6. Hood Westacott
7. Hardcastle
8. Berryman

Last edited by AndrewTas : Aug 6th, 2010 at 01:47 PM.
AndrewTas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 12:34 PM   #123
country flag austinrunner

austinrunner has disabled reputation

Where (which newspaper) did you find the seeds for 1935 and the bottom four seeds for 1939? The article you linked for 1935 actually was dated 18 January 1934.
austinrunner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #124
AndrewTas

AndrewTas has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinrunner View Post
Where (which newspaper) did you find the seeds for 1935 and the bottom four seeds for 1939? The article you linked for 1935 actually was dated 18 January 1934.
The article in my last post relates to the 1934 seeds but I wrote 1935 in the post instead on 1934 but now it is corrected.

For the 1935 seeds I found this article from the Argus on December 21 1934. The 1035 Australian started just after New year.
http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del...rm=tennis+seed

As for the 1939 seeds I found this article.
http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del...rm=seed+tennis from the Argus on January 11 1939.

Last edited by AndrewTas : Aug 6th, 2010 at 01:58 PM.
AndrewTas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #125

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold

Tommasi has Westacott as the #7 seed below Stenson and no #5 listed.

he lists #5-8 as:

05 Stevenson
06 Hopman
07 Workman
08 Hardcastle
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #126

He agrees with the #s 5-8 for 1939.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #127
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

I added seeds for all 3 events for 1939.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #128

Re: 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Thanks to Andy T for draw and Chris Whiteside for seedings (source: Rino Tomassi)

Adelaide. January 20 to 30.

Draw of 40, of whom 7 are foreigners.

The NYT reports that Helen Amos d. Shirley Collins (NZ) 6-2 6-2 in 2R. (?)

12 seeds: Seedings according to Rino Tommasi

01 Richey (aka #1 Foreign)
02 Turner (aka #1 Domestic)
03 Casals (aka #2 Foreign)
04 Melville (aka #2 Domestic)
05 Durr (aka #3 Foreign)
06 Krantzcke
07 Stove (aka #4 Foreign)
08 Lehane-O'Neill
09 Tegart
10 Sherriff
11 Robinson
12 Toyne
These seeds are incorrect according to the San Antonio Express, January 17, 1967. The seeds were as follows:

Domestic
01 Lesley Turner Bowrey
02 Kerry Melville Reid
03 Karen Krantzcke
04 Jan Lehane O'Neill
05 Judy Tegart Dalton
06 Gail Sherriff Chanfreau Lovera
07 Lorraine Coghlan Robinson
08 Fay Toyne

Foreign
01 Nancy Richey
02 Rosemary Casals
03 Francoise Durr
04 Betty Stove

Also, was it Kerry Harris that Richey played in the second round? The draw here lists Lesley Hunt twice in the first round.
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 08:27 AM   #129

Re: 1938

1938 Seeds:
(1) Dorothy Bundy Cheney
(2) Nancye Wynne Bolton
(3) Thelma Coyne Long
(4) Joan Hartigan Bathurst
(5) Nell Hall Hopman
(6) May Hardcastle
(7) Dorothy Stevenson
(8) Dorothy Workman

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del...=dorothy+bundy
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #130
country flag GeeTee

GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future
Re: Australian Open

Hey Rollo, here's a few more names/details including a surprise American competitor!

Adela Gwendoline Hack (known as 'Gwen Hack')
Marjorie Todd (nee Mountain) not Gertrude

Nell Hamilton
Ruby Mercer

Katherine Wemyss

Ursula Price (nee Bere)

Jean Wilson (Mrs Davies)
Betty Ward (Mrs Ross Harmer)
Gwen Griffiths (Mrs Max Field from 1937)

Dot Bellamy

Dot Greenwood
Doreen Malcolm (RSA) (nee Cole)

Yutha Thiemayer (vic) (Mrs Allen Halliday from 1940)
Pearl Stern (QLD)
Ruby Skinner
Edith (Edie) Niemayer (QLD)
Molly Carter (VIC)
Gwyn Stevenson
Cherie Bubb

Margaret Wilson (not Muff)
Edna McColl

Edith Tough (USA) 'former junior tennis champion of New Jersey, New York State and Southern California'
Joyce Lack (QLD)
Dorn McGill (QLD) (Mrs Ted Fogarty from 1946)
McGill usually played doubles with her mother, Mrs JF McGill

M Brooker
Mrs K Gosbell (not Goswell)

Sybil Sheidow
Josephine Spehr Jones
Valerie Pellew
Mrs Ray J Cock
Barbara Cane
Joyce Traegar
Joan Gent

Joan Egar

Bettie Redwood
Rosemary Thomas

Dorothy Linn
Helen McDonald (TAS)
Margaret Wallis (VIC)
Joy O'Donoghue (VIC)
Margaret Heron (WA)
Pat Cunningham (WA)
Mary Blacklock (WA)
Rosemary Rosman (SA)
Gay Sim (NSW)

Last edited by GeeTee : Jul 9th, 2011 at 03:27 PM.
GeeTee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 07:31 PM   #131
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

I want to thank John Dolan for pointing out an important error in the 1972 results. I had the Goolagong-Gouraly semi score off.

And what can I say GeeTee-you just saved me HOURS of hard work-thank you!

I did have a couple of questions for you:

Are you 100% certain the 1924 Mrs Todd is Marjorie Mountain? It's probably my error, but for some reason my notes indicate that Gertrude Newbigging md a Mr A Todd.

Did I get that wrong-or am I just confusing Mrs Todd's?

And I'm wondering if the D Coate in the 1937 draw is a relation to Connie Coate (later Wilson) or just my error and it's really Connie Wilson.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 01:15 AM   #132
country flag GeeTee

GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Are you 100% certain the 1924 Mrs Todd is Marjorie Mountain? It's probably my error, but for some reason my notes indicate that Gertrude Newbigging md a Mr A Todd.

Did I get that wrong-or am I just confusing Mrs Todd's?

And I'm wondering if the D Coate in the 1937 draw is a relation to Connie Coate (later Wilson) or just my error and it's really Connie Wilson.
Hi Rollo, the Newbigging/Todd error is one of mine which AndrewTas cleared up a while back. Newbigging was a NSW player who married a Mr Todd, but doesn't seem to have kept playing at the top level. Victorian Mountain married a Mr Todd in Melbourne and did keep playing into the late 20s. I can't quite remember which thread we discussed this in, but one of the Aussie ones I guess.

And yes, Connie Coate lost to Dot Stevenson in 1937.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #133
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Hi Rollo, the Newbigging/Todd error is one of mine which AndrewTas cleared up a while back. Newbigging was a NSW player who married a Mr Todd, but doesn't seem to have kept playing at the top level. Victorian Mountain married a Mr Todd in Melbourne and did keep playing into the late 20s. I can't quite remember which thread we discussed this in, but one of the Aussie ones I guess.

And yes, Connie Coate lost to Dot Stevenson in 1937.
Thanks as always GeeTee. I'm slowly but surely combing through to add first names (for men and women) as well as seeds.

The Aussie name list you put together makes it easier-I've cross-referenced it and dive into the Trove newspaper site to try and add names.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 01:04 AM   #134
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

I came up with a couple more first names-you may already have them, nut just in case:

S Hocking=Syd Hocking

D Mullamphy (male)=D'arcy Mullamphy, an apparent gunshot-suicide in late 1929.
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #135
country flag GeeTee

A few more (we're getting there!)

22 Daisy Garland (Mrs Waddington)
23 Keyden Ethel Irving
23 Millicent Mitchell (Mrs Membrey)
24 Mollie Muirhead
24 Jessie Salter
26 Ruby Mercer
27 Minnie Richardson (not Miranda)
29 Parsons = Pauline Spencer-Parsons
30 Edna Freudenstein = Edith Freudenstein (Mrs Albert Hague)
30 Kathleen Hayes (Mrs McLennan)
30 Phyllis Lester (Mrs Fox from 1933)
31 Mrs Grahame Edgar (nee Mary Elliott)
33 Ann Carcary
34 Agnes Tosh (later Mrs Turner)
37 Helen Bowker (Mrs Charles J Donohoe)
37 Joan Lipscombe
39 Joan Pett (nee Scott)
40 Gwen Cassidy (nee Waterhouse)
47 Joan Charlier (nee Burke)