Grand Slam glory came too soon for Russia’s Myskina - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:56 AM   #1
country flag bellascarlett

bellascarlett has a reputation beyond repute bellascarlett has a reputation beyond repute bellascarlett has a reputation beyond repute bellascarlett has a reputation beyond repute bellascarlett has a reputation beyond repute bellascarlett has a reputation beyond repute bellascarlett has a reputation beyond repute bellascarlett has a reputation beyond repute bellascarlett has a reputation beyond repute bellascarlett has a reputation beyond repute bellascarlett has a reputation beyond repute
Grand Slam glory came too soon for Russia’s Myskina

Just something that may be of interest to some:

Grand Slam glory came too soon for Russia’s Myskina
Web posted at: 3/1/2006 1:34:21

DOHA: Anastasia Myskina, one of six Russian players in the world top-20, believes her only Grand Slam glory at the French Open 2004 was one moment of global reckoning she was not quite ready for.

Myskina, who is seeking her third title at the US $600,000 Qatar Open, was honest enough to admit that her triumph at the Roland Garros two years ago came too soon for a player still trying to find her feet at the international level.

“Things happened so suddenly. My whole life changed after I won the French Open in 2004. I realised that, all of a sudden, I have become so famous, people coming up for handshakes and pictures. The fact that I was becoming popular was okay, but for a young person like me, things were happening too fast,” Myskina revealed yesterday.

“Soon after the French Open triumph, I was in the newspapers everyday. With me becoming popular, expectations of fans went up as well. All of a sudden I was expected to win every event I took part in or reach the final at least,” recalled the Russian, who has not won a WTA Tour title since January last year.

“The expectations of the fans and the global attention became too much for me. I couldn’t handle the pressure associated with fame and success,’ said Myskina.

The Russian wondered how England football captain David Beckham handles the media glare and the public attention so well. “I sometimes wonder how Beckham copes with the attention that he gets all the time. How does he manage himself in front of such public adulation or media focus,” asked the Russian.

Despite the public pressure and the media frenzy following her Roland Garros triumph, Myskina said the happenings of 2004 for good for Russian tennis. “That year, not only I but Maria Sharapova and Svetlana Kuznetsova also won Grand Slams. In all, three Russians won three of the four Grand Slam titles. That made tennis a huge sport at home. That is still the case and I am happy about it,” Myskina, who has 10 titles to her credit,” said.

“I think Russian tennis is looking up and our players can win more Grand Slams. The Russian players are trying hard to win more Slams,” Myskina, who plays her first match in Doha today, said yesterday.

http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/Dis...6030113421.xml

Well, obviously Nastya is already out of Doha. Here's what she had to say:

Myskina said there was nothing wrong with her game and that she was happy with her game, but added “not with the result.”

“She (Ai) was better than me today. In the third set when I was trailing 4-5, I lost my serve. Had I held it, it could have been different,” Myskia said. “It was a good match and I hope people liked it. That’s important,” she added.
Advertisement

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:59 PM   #2
country flag TomTennis

TomTennis has a reputation beyond repute TomTennis has a reputation beyond repute TomTennis has a reputation beyond repute TomTennis has a reputation beyond repute TomTennis has a reputation beyond repute TomTennis has a reputation beyond repute TomTennis has a reputation beyond repute TomTennis has a reputation beyond repute TomTennis has a reputation beyond repute TomTennis has a reputation beyond repute TomTennis has a reputation beyond repute
if she didnt win the French Open in 2004, she would never win another slam.

she just cant compete against the likes of Davenport, Sharapova, Venus, Serena, Clijsters, Henin-Hardenne, Pierce, Mauresmo at their best.
TomTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:13 PM   #3
country flag wateva

wateva has a reputation beyond repute wateva has a reputation beyond repute wateva has a reputation beyond repute wateva has a reputation beyond repute wateva has a reputation beyond repute wateva has a reputation beyond repute wateva has a reputation beyond repute wateva has a reputation beyond repute wateva has a reputation beyond repute wateva has a reputation beyond repute wateva has a reputation beyond repute
i thought she won kolkata last yr?

For the latest match previews and analysis, follow my blog: http://wonderfulwta.blogspot.com/
wateva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:16 PM   #4
country flag ezekiel

ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute
isn't she like mid 20's or something
Anyway , she seems settled as a 2nd tier player but at least she seems more happy and relaxed than before
ezekiel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:24 PM   #5
country flag alfonsojose

alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute
Nastya
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:46 PM   #6
country flag meyerpl

meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute
I'm proud to be a Myskina fan. It isn't all about winning or losing.

"The noblest work of God? Man. Who found it out? Man." - Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H.L. Menken
meyerpl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:01 PM   #7
country flag LoveFifteen
Gone with the Wind fabulous!

LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, I am pretty sure that the French 2004 will be her only Slam title.
LoveFifteen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:04 PM   #8
Kart

Kart is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerpl
I'm proud to be a Myskina fan. It isn't all about winning or losing.

I think winning the French open was the best thing for her. It showed she is a genuine contender for major titles when overlooked.
Kart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:14 PM   #9
country flag sinterklaasje

sinterklaasje has a brilliant future sinterklaasje has a brilliant future sinterklaasje has a brilliant future sinterklaasje has a brilliant future sinterklaasje has a brilliant future sinterklaasje has a brilliant future sinterklaasje has a brilliant future sinterklaasje has a brilliant future sinterklaasje has a brilliant future sinterklaasje has a brilliant future sinterklaasje has a brilliant future
I don't think that pressure was the main problem. She did fine the second half of 2004.
When her mother became ill, it all went downward, which is normal I guess. Who cares about tennis, when a close relative is seriously ill?
It just takes some time for her to find her groove back. But I'm convinced she will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTennis
she just cant compete against the likes of Davenport, Sharapova, Venus, Serena, Clijsters, Henin-Hardenne, Pierce, Mauresmo at their best.

H2H against Venus, Pierce, Sharapova isn't that bad
she can compete with anyone when 'on', but unfortunately she can lose to anybody when 'off'
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:30 PM   #10
Viktymise
King

Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute
Well at least she can say she won a slam at the end of her career. I think she would still take winning the french if there was going to be a bad year and a half to follow
Viktymise is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:30 PM   #11
country flag hablo

hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute
Nastya... winning the FO was a great accomplishment and no one can take that away from you
especially you were the FIRST russian woman to do it

Marat's slam came too early too

GO all Canuck players GO
hablo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:33 PM   #12
martinailuv

martinailuv is a name known to all martinailuv is a name known to all martinailuv is a name known to all martinailuv is a name known to all martinailuv is a name known to all martinailuv is a name known to all martinailuv is a name known to all martinailuv is a name known to all martinailuv is a name known to all martinailuv is a name known to all martinailuv is a name known to all
“The expectations of the fans and the global attention became too much for me. I couldn’t handle the pressure associated with fame and success,’ said Myskina.

Nastya
martinailuv is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:44 PM   #13
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute
She was lucky to win that FO, she will never win another.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:50 PM   #14
country flag croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute
sounds a lot like majoli
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:08 PM   #15
country flag Farina Elia Fan
Team WTAworld

Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by hablovah
Marat's slam came too early too

good point
Farina Elia Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote