Margaret Court regrets saying Muslims were bearing children on a production line - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 16th, 2006, 05:18 PM   #1
country flag spiceboy

spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute
Margaret Court regrets saying Muslims were bearing children on a production line

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/...890797001.html

Tennis legend regrets Muslim comment
February 15, 2006 - 5:34PM

Tennis legend and Perth evangelical church founder Margaret Court regrets saying Muslims were bearing children on a production line.
She reckons she should have just said they were multiplying.

The founder of the Christian Victory Life Centre was referring to a comment she made in a West Australian newspaper article in defence of former federal veterans affairs minister Danna Vale.

Ms Vale sparked controversy this week after claiming, as part of her contribution to the debate on the abortion pill RU-486, that the rate of pregnancy terminations meant Australia could become a Muslim nation in 50 years.

Ms Court said that Muslims were having more children than other Australians because they did not believe in abortion.

But she said she regretted her choice of words in the newspaper article.

"I probably, in the paper, shouldn't have used the words production line," Ms Court told Southern Cross Radio.

"I meant multiplication because they (Muslims) do have large families.

"We've been having less and less children and I think they (Muslims), they multiply, they multiply in the nations (sic)."

Ms Court said she believed Muslims and Christians could get along.

"I think we can coexist ... as long as the righteous Muslims stand up and say some things.

"I think some of those righteous ones - those people who want order - should stand ... against some of the things that are happening today, and they don't seem to do that."

Premier Alan Carpenter told journalists he did not agree with Ms Court's comments but was sure she did not mean to be offensive to anybody.

"I am sure she didn't mean to create offence, but I obviously disagree with what she had to say," Mr Carpenter said.

During her stellar tennis career, Ms Court won a record 62 Grand Slam titles including 24 singles, 19 women's doubles, 19 mixed doubles.
spiceboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 16th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #2
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
very funny title, spiceboy, even funnier than the article.

i spied an article on the subway about the vice president shooting his friend while hunting, which i was sure was an ONION spoof on the incident, but i laughed even louder when i saw it WASN'T! wish i could remember the title, but it was very funny...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cheney.jpg (43.7 KB, 15 views)
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #3
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
i should add, Dave Letterman's comments about it were great;

"Everybody is in the Valentine's mood. For example, earlier today Dick Cheney shot his buddy in the ass with an arrow." --David Letterman

"The real question now is, is this a one-time thing, or will the vice president try to kill again." --David Letterman

"If this story gets any bigger, pretty soon they're going to have to tell the President." --David Letterman
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 11:42 AM   #4
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceboy
http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/...890797001.html

Tennis legend regrets Muslim comment
February 15, 2006 - 5:34PM

Tennis legend and Perth evangelical church founder Margaret Court regrets saying Muslims were bearing children on a production line.
She reckons she should have just said they were multiplying.

The founder of the Christian Victory Life Centre was referring to a comment she made in a West Australian newspaper article in defence of former federal veterans affairs minister Danna Vale.

Ms Vale sparked controversy this week after claiming, as part of her contribution to the debate on the abortion pill RU-486, that the rate of pregnancy terminations meant Australia could become a Muslim nation in 50 years.

Ms Court said that Muslims were having more children than other Australians because they did not believe in abortion.

But she said she regretted her choice of words in the newspaper article.

"I probably, in the paper, shouldn't have used the words production line," Ms Court told Southern Cross Radio.

"I meant multiplication because they (Muslims) do have large families.

"We've been having less and less children and I think they (Muslims), they multiply, they multiply in the nations (sic)."

Ms Court said she believed Muslims and Christians could get along.

"I think we can coexist ... as long as the righteous Muslims stand up and say some things.

"I think some of those righteous ones - those people who want order - should stand ... against some of the things that are happening today, and they don't seem to do that."

Premier Alan Carpenter told journalists he did not agree with Ms Court's comments but was sure she did not mean to be offensive to anybody.

"I am sure she didn't mean to create offence, but I obviously disagree with what she had to say," Mr Carpenter said.

During her stellar tennis career, Ms Court won a record 62 Grand Slam titles including 24 singles, 19 women's doubles, 19 mixed doubles.
It must be a very scary time for Australians. I couldn't really get a good enough feel for it when I was there back in 2003, because it was only 11 days and all I saw was Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne. My friend Garry was a terrific local guide into the Australian culture (and we used visiting museums as the base of our conversations in this regard, which alfa really loved). I don't think most Americans (and probably Europeans) can grasp the culture of an isolated, island nation of that size that has never been invaded or attacked. I'm generalizing here (who, me? ) but it is basically a nation of ranchers who've never known much more than their own English penal colony or missionary roots (Adelaide), and throw in the experience of systematically herding and in many cases squashing Aborigines, and you have a most unique and I would guess fear-ridden perception of foreigners landing on "your" soil and peopling the land. We here in the Northeast US and Southwest US are experiencing something similar with the influx of Latino cultures over the past 35 years. It is statistically accurate to say as a group, they do breed like rabbits, and that in the next 30 years, the shift will have taken place from an English speaking country to Spanish. Talking about these shifts in realistic terms is healthy. And besides, we should all know by now that Mrs. Court's greatest talent isn't in giving balanced interviews.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #5
country flag tennisrox

tennisrox has a reputation beyond repute tennisrox has a reputation beyond repute tennisrox has a reputation beyond repute tennisrox has a reputation beyond repute tennisrox has a reputation beyond repute tennisrox has a reputation beyond repute tennisrox has a reputation beyond repute tennisrox has a reputation beyond repute tennisrox has a reputation beyond repute tennisrox has a reputation beyond repute tennisrox has a reputation beyond repute
Now,now,lets not be too harsh on her.She's just a tennis player.There are stupider people running the world....

Roman Abramovich-tax cheat Jose Maurinho-Megalomaniac

Proud to be a Gunners fan. We're skint, but proud

tennisrox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #6
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
It is statistically accurate to say as a group, they do breed like rabbits, and that in the next 30 years, the shift will have taken place from an English speaking country to Spanish
I don't see it happening Alfa-and here's why: They'll mix into the big melting pot like most US immigrants have in the past. In certain areas (California, Texas, Florida) Spanish may become more dominant-but the power of English as a language is tremendous. Besides, unlike Muslims who may not want to integrate into an Aussie secular society, Hispanics have no religious differences, and racially they are all over the map. They intermarry at high rates with non-hispanics,and even when they don't intermarry they often mainstream.

A good example was a tennis buddy of mine, Jose del Torro. He's a dark Puerto Rico married to a blonde from Spain. Their kids not only LOOK like everyone, they sound like everyome else.

They also don't speak a word of Spanish.

But of course they're still listed as "Hispanic"!

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 17th, 2006 at 02:24 PM.
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #7
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Now,now,lets not be too harsh on her.She's just a tennis player.There are stupider people running the world....

It's a good thing she wasn't running South Africa-Mags comments on the situation there were most unenlightened.....

It's funny how similar she is to Martina Navratilova as far as speaking their mind.

Imagine a talk show with them debating each other on the issues of the day: Crossfire Volleys: Margaret and Martina-a smashing time!
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 03:12 PM   #8
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
It's a good thing she wasn't running South Africa-Mags comments on the situation there were most unenlightened.....

It's funny how similar she is to Martina Navratilova as far as speaking their mind.

Imagine a talk show with them debating each other on the issues of the day: Crossfire Volleys: Margaret and Martina-a smashing time!
Throw in BJK for good measure and you'd have one hell of a talk show!

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #9

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I don't see it happening Alfa-and here's why: They'll mix into the big melting pot like most US immigrants have in the past. In certain areas (California, Texas, Florida) Spanish may become more dominant-but the power of English as a language is tremendous. Besides, unlike Muslims who may not want to integrate into an Aussie secular society, Hispanics have no religious differences, and racially they are all over the map. They intermarry at high rates with non-hispanics,and even when they don't intermarry they often mainstream.

A good example was a tennis buddy of mine, Jose del Torro. He's a dark Puerto Rico married to a blonde from Spain. Their kids not only LOOK like everyone, they sound like everyome else.

Of course you can cite examples to the contrary (my friend Miguel has a black mother and Puerto Rican father, and I speak and understand far more Spanish than he does), but I live in the inner-city, and I can tell you that Spanish has not only been the predominant language for 10-15 years, it is expanding into the outlying areas at breakneck speed, and is being legislated into public schools even faster. There is a major difference between the concepts of the power of English and teachers making it an option to learn English as a second language. The former is what the NEA has been pushing (successfully I might add) for quite a while now. It's funny for those of us who remember the late 60s and early 70s how the word "Hispanic" virtually didn't exist. Nearly all Latinos are from some form of Roman Catholicism, and nearly all do not believe in birth control, and yes, they reproduce not only at a much earlier age, but in far greater numbers than any English-speaking counterpart. It is a simple matter of reproductive math. If you cannot conquer an indigenous culture and language, breed them out, and better if you can do it at their own expense. The entire Northeast corridor between Boston and Washington DC is pocked with vacated cities and towns that reek with well-organized latino drug culture, and it's not a culture that speaks English- it is predominantly Spanish.

With regard to the talk show, I'd buy a ticket, although I'm not sure including Billie Jean in the mix would be fair unless we afford Margaret a Jerry Falwell, or at the very least, his speechwriter. It could be like the old SNL skit "Point-Counterpoint"!
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 05:27 PM   #10
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

As you point out, you live in an inner-city. To me that's not "America" in the sense that it's not representative of the whole. When this moves to middle class suburbia it will get my attention. American ethnic groups traditionally ghettoize themselves before moving out into the mainstream. As Hispanics get richer and middle class they'll mainstream IMO.

We'll just have to agree to disagree Alfa-and of course wait 40 years to see if you're right and hope we live that long!

Re the talk show-perhaps Nancy Richey could sign on as a foil to Billie Jean?
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #11
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold
By the sound of it there can't be many WASPs left if they're not already extinct.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 10:26 AM   #12
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
What an idiot this woman is!

Pas de Quatre: Swan Lake, Giselle, The Nutcracker, Coppélia
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #13

Quote:
As you point out, you live in an inner-city. To me that's not "America" in the sense that it's not representative of the whole. When this moves to middle class suburbia it will get my attention. American ethnic groups traditionally ghettoize themselves before moving out into the mainstream. As Hispanics get richer and middle class they'll mainstream IMO.

We'll just have to agree to disagree Alfa-and of course wait 40 years to see if you're right and hope we live that long!

Re the talk show-perhaps Nancy Richey could sign on as a foil to Billie Jean?
Agree to disagree after just one volley? Not a chance! I have a question for you- when is the last time you visited one of those lovely suburban gathering places that have supplanted civic life in the cities of the great Northeast over the past 30 years- you know, a mall? Next time you go you may be in for a real shocker. The ghetto is not only in suburbia, it's driving the tax base (and middle class by design IMO) out of existence there at nearly the same speed it did in the city. The sad thing about all of this is that I as a taxpayer have no option but to sit back and watch the cultural erosion take place, and listen to people call me a nazi or a self-loathing wasp because I have the balls to talk about the fact that it's all been legislated into existence.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #14
country flag SelesFan70

SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I don't see it happening Alfa-and here's why: They'll mix into the big melting pot like most US immigrants have in the past. In certain areas (California, Texas, Florida) Spanish may become more dominant-but the power of English as a language is tremendo Besides, unlike Muslims who may not want to integrate into an Aussie secular society, Hispanics have no religious differences, and racially they are all over the map.us. They intermarry at high rates with non-hispanics,and even when they don't intermarry they often mainstream.

That's a pretty accurate statement. I read somewhere (don't ask me where, I have no idea where it was) that something like 90% of Hispanics are Roman Catholic.

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!
SelesFan70 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #15
country flag trivfun

trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of
I wonder what she has to say to Pauline Betz. Maybe she has moor or gypsy ancestry. She does have a different face with those green eyes like that girl who appeared on that national geographic cover. Or herself.
trivfun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote