Serenade over? Sad but true article about Serena... - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:42 PM   #1
country flag spiceboy

spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute
Serenade over? Sad but true article about Serena...

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/1411140.cms

Seranade over?
RUHI BATRA

TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2006 01:47:30 AM]

Commentators often remind us that “being hungry” is fundamental to success, though in all probability they were not re-ferring to the same desire that has you reaching for the handle on the fridge. Serena Williams seems to have messed up on that fundamental.

She no longer gets out of bed being the best at what she does best — playing tennis. She wakes up in an alien world, where for the first time in eight years, Serena finds herself ranked out of the Top 20.

Languishing at 37, the former world champion is today an over-weight, distant version of the champion who was ruthless on the tennis court, who used to smack winners at will as she defended the baseline with the grace of a panther and the speed of a gazelle.

After recording her first career-loss to Daniela Hantochova in the third round of the Australian Open, Serena’s ranking has plummeted to five places below our own Sania Mirza - not necessarily an indicator of Sania’s phenomenal growth but a pointer to the sad and steady decline of a world class athlete.

Since winning at Melbourne in 2005, Serena hasn't reached another final, and in her last three Grand Slam events, she has struggled to progress beyond the fourth round. Her 2005 Australian Open victory is beginning to look more like an irregularity now instead of a precursor to another dominant phase.

The signs of decline have been there but we just dismissed them hoping she would come back, like she always does. Serena’s success has been as much the result of her power game as of her iron will. She has always believed that she could beat anyone, anywhere, anytime and for years, she did that.

On her own terms.That Friday three weeks, when Hantuchova took the lead, Serena appeared unusually at peace with the result. “I was really calm,” was her muted reaction. The criticism wasn’t.

The sharp-tongued Nick Bollettieri wrote: “You are not physically fit, and you no longer control the centre of the court. I can’t help but believe something is lost.” Is Serena disturbed by the fact that she's not even in the Top 10?

As an athlete, it would be impossible for her not to flinch everytime she saw her name below players that were till last year, easy pickings for her. Perhaps Serena is growing accustomed to the prospect of a life beyond tennis.

In the past couple of years, tennis has had to fight for space with her fashion aspirations and television commitments. Less than fit for the rigours of the WTA Tour, injuries, new and recurrent, kept her off the court but not out of the news. She found time to design clothes and earrings and star in every popular American soap. Pity, she forgot about tennis.

At the US Open last year, she appeared to be more concerned with having the bling than the game. Even in Melbourne, Serena was more into shopping than training. Over-weight and rusty, the younger Williams sibling opted to spending her time and money in the Wayne Cooper boutique trying on couture dresses and sunglasses.

Also, the pressure of being the highest paid woman athlete after the deal with Nike might have been too much to handle.Maybe it’s just a passing phase and some day, not too far from today, Serena Williams will dominate the game. The skills are there, only the will is missing.

From knocking ratty, old balls against a concrete wall in Compton, Serena made it to world champion. Surely she can conquer 36 ranking spots to become a tennis diva again.
spiceboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:46 PM   #2
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
From knocking ratty, old balls against a concrete wall in Compton, Serena made it to world champion. Surely she can conquer 36 ranking spots to become a tennis diva again.
I don't think so. She's not hungry anymore and she has other sources of income. Easier ones.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:46 PM   #3
country flag AkademiQ

AkademiQ has a reputation beyond repute AkademiQ has a reputation beyond repute AkademiQ has a reputation beyond repute AkademiQ has a reputation beyond repute AkademiQ has a reputation beyond repute AkademiQ has a reputation beyond repute AkademiQ has a reputation beyond repute AkademiQ has a reputation beyond repute AkademiQ has a reputation beyond repute AkademiQ has a reputation beyond repute AkademiQ has a reputation beyond repute
All Serena needs to do is retire and then come back in about 2 to 3 years. Go for it Serena
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:48 PM   #4
country flag Sally Struthers

Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceboy
Commentators often remind us that “being hungry” is fundamental to success, though in all probability they were not re-ferring to the same desire that has you reaching for the handle on the fridge. Serena Williams seems to have messed up on that fundamental.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:49 PM   #5
country flag SvetaPleaseWin.
Heyyy

SvetaPleaseWin. has a reputation beyond repute SvetaPleaseWin. has a reputation beyond repute SvetaPleaseWin. has a reputation beyond repute SvetaPleaseWin. has a reputation beyond repute SvetaPleaseWin. has a reputation beyond repute SvetaPleaseWin. has a reputation beyond repute SvetaPleaseWin. has a reputation beyond repute SvetaPleaseWin. has a reputation beyond repute SvetaPleaseWin. has a reputation beyond repute SvetaPleaseWin. has a reputation beyond repute SvetaPleaseWin. has a reputation beyond repute
the biggest problem with serena is that she realises how good she is. even though she's 44 in the rankings she believes she's no. 1, serena is open in saying she doesn't like training.

hopefully she'll take the time to get herself back to full fitness and playing at least half decent before making a return to competition. i wouldn't bet against serena winning the french.
SvetaPleaseWin. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:53 PM   #6
country flag jonny84

jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute
Serena will comeback; she knows she has at least three more years of good tennis in her and is capable of winning another slam.
jonny84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #7
country flag Rocketta
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!

Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute
Rocketta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:57 PM   #8
country flag jimbo mack

jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute
what a depressing article
jimbo mack is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #9
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Maybe she does need to take the rest of the year or so off...do all of the fun things she wants to do. Then sometime late this year or early next year start full time training again and comeback sometime during the late winter/ early spring of 2007. Maybe that will give her the time to do all of this ShowBiz Glitz that she enjoyes doing at the moment and satisfy that that interest in her life for now . It will also give her the time away from tennis that she apparently needs...
Lots of players do it...i think that would be better then w hat she is doing now..going out there half heartedly. I am sure she would come back strong as ever next year after a break...
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #10
Kart

Kart is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketta
Kart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #11
country flag Aquanetta

Aquanetta has a brilliant future Aquanetta has a brilliant future Aquanetta has a brilliant future Aquanetta has a brilliant future Aquanetta has a brilliant future Aquanetta has a brilliant future Aquanetta has a brilliant future Aquanetta has a brilliant future Aquanetta has a brilliant future Aquanetta has a brilliant future Aquanetta has a brilliant future
Quote:

Seranade over?
RUHI BATRA

She no longer gets out of bed being the best at what she does best — playing tennis. She wakes up in an alien world, where for the first time in eight years, Serena finds herself ranked out of the Top 20.

Languishing at 37, the former world champion is today an over-weight, distant version of the champion who was ruthless on the tennis court, who used to smack winners at will as she defended the baseline with the grace of a panther and the speed of a gazelle.

After recording her first career-loss to Daniela Hantochova in the third round of the Australian Open, Serena’s ranking has plummeted to five places below our own Sania Mirza - not necessarily an indicator of Sania’s phenomenal growth but a pointer to the sad and steady decline of a world class athlete.

Since winning at Melbourne in 2005, Serena hasn't reached another final, and in her last three Grand Slam events, she has struggled to progress beyond the fourth round. Her 2005 Australian Open victory is beginning to look more like an irregularity now instead of a precursor to another dominant phase.

The signs of decline have been there but we just dismissed them hoping she would come back, like she always does. Serena’s success has been as much the result of her power game as of her iron will. She has always believed that she could beat anyone, anywhere, anytime and for years, she did that.

On her own terms.That Friday three weeks, when Hantuchova took the lead, Serena appeared unusually at peace with the result. “I was really calm,” was her muted reaction. The criticism wasn’t.

The sharp-tongued Nick Bollettieri wrote: “You are not physically fit, and you no longer control the centre of the court. I can’t help but believe something is lost.” Is Serena disturbed by the fact that she's not even in the Top 10?

As an athlete, it would be impossible for her not to flinch everytime she saw her name below players that were till last year, easy pickings for her. Perhaps Serena is growing accustomed to the prospect of a life beyond tennis.

In the past couple of years, tennis has had to fight for space with her fashion aspirations and television commitments. Less than fit for the rigours of the WTA Tour, injuries, new and recurrent, kept her off the court but not out of the news. She found time to design clothes and earrings and star in every popular American soap. Pity, she forgot about tennis.

At the US Open last year, she appeared to be more concerned with having the bling than the game. Even in Melbourne, Serena was more into shopping than training. Over-weight and rusty, the younger Williams sibling opted to spending her time and money in the Wayne Cooper boutique trying on couture dresses and sunglasses.

Also, the pressure of being the highest paid woman athlete after the deal with Nike might have been too much to handle.Maybe it’s just a passing phase and some day, not too far from today, Serena Williams will dominate the game. The skills are there, only the will is missing.

Ruhi Batra read my mind!
Aquanetta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #12
country flag pcrtennis

pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future
She's not done.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 06:09 PM   #13
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute
Here is what I think (without knocking Serena down)

Serena is a businesswoman. Her time is her capital, so she wants the best return on invested time. The return from investments in tennis (prize money) will never compare to the return from her other activities. Investments in tennis were smart when she needed her celebrity status. She has it now, so it's smart to diversify the investments. She's doing it.

She is basically becoming a better tennis wise version of Anna IMO.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 06:10 PM   #14
country flag Veenut

Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future
Quote:

Seranade over?
RUHI BATRA

Quote:
Maybe it’s just a passing phase and some day, not too far from today, Serena Williams will dominate the game. The skills are there, only the will is missing.

OK Sunset, here is an article provided so that you don't have to spend all day on the computer. I guess to your horror, there are people who want Serena to dominate again and say so. Also please note, she's not retired, she is just not playing well and everyone seem to have their opinion as to why.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #15
country flag SelesFan70

SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuzyIsNo1
the biggest problem with serena is that she realises how good she is. even though she's 44 in the rankings she believes she's no. 1, serena is open in saying she doesn't like training.

hopefully she'll take the time to get herself back to full fitness and playing at least half decent before making a return to competition. i wouldn't bet against serena winning the french.
Ah, but the question is...does the rest of the tour believe Serena is still #1? I think the answer is an emphatic "No" and that makes all the difference in the world of professional tennis.

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!
SelesFan70 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote