Anyone know anything about Monica Seles and a controversial episode of Seinfeld? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 03:22 PM   #1
selesfan1

selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future
Anyone know anything about Monica Seles and a controversial episode of Seinfeld?

They show Seinfeld rereuns late a night here and I caught the end of one over the weekend which I found a bit inappropriate just from what I was able to see.

Elaine, Jerry and George went to the 1993 U.S. Open (it said so on the stadium)and the episode was from then. Kramer was a ballperson and Monica Seles had made it to the finals. In the final scene Elaine says "Can you believe Monca Seles is in the final after her comeback?" Jerry and George agree it's quite amazing and then the Monica stand in rushes to the net and kramer rushes out because her is the net ballperson and goes out to get the ball and "Monica" trips over him and lands face flat and everyone rushes out to help her. Very reminiscient of the stabbing pictures and afterwards they are like there is the man who reinjured Monica Seles.

If what I perceived was correct this was very inappropriate almost joking about Seles' injury. However, I also understand many people didn't know the seriousness of this injury because Monica didn't talk about it and I also know that Seles did attend the 1993 U.S. Open and even gave a press conference. Can anyone fill me in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #2
country flag GoDominique

GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute
Seinfeld sucks.
GoDominique is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 03:59 PM   #3
country flag SelesFan70

SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute
It was just a stupid show altogether. I can't believe it was named the best show EVER by TV Guide.

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!
SelesFan70 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #4
Danke Anke

Danke Anke has much to be proud of Danke Anke has much to be proud of Danke Anke has much to be proud of Danke Anke has much to be proud of Danke Anke has much to be proud of Danke Anke has much to be proud of Danke Anke has much to be proud of Danke Anke has much to be proud of Danke Anke has much to be proud of Danke Anke has much to be proud of Danke Anke has much to be proud of
Seinfeld IS the best show ever. And I don't think that episode was inappropriate at all. Monica's my all time favourite and don't think they were trying to recreate the stabbing. It's a show about irony and the irony in that episode is that Kramer eff's up her comeback.
Danke Anke is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #5
country flag pcrtennis

pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future
Seinfeld was BRILLIANT! If you don't like it, you need to work on your sens eof humor...
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 04:45 PM   #6
country flag GoDominique

GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute
Okay when pcrtennis says it's brilliant then it must be true.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #7
country flag Cam'ron Giles
Snitch

Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute
Seinfelf was smart and very funny...I had a friend who got so angry with the show because Jerry stepped on the Puerto Rican flag or something...And I was trying to get him to understand that it was not about disrespecting the flag...You have to have a certian amount of intelligence to understand the humor...

Will you be there?
Cam'ron Giles is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #8
Kart

Kart is an unknown quantity at this point
I have to admit I never got it when it was on.

Maybe I should give it another go.
Kart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #9
country flag GoDominique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam'ron Giles
...You have to have a certian amount of intelligence to understand the humor...
I guess the emphasis is on "certian" here. Not too little, but not too much either.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 04:49 PM   #10
country flag Nicjac

Nicjac has a reputation beyond repute Nicjac has a reputation beyond repute Nicjac has a reputation beyond repute Nicjac has a reputation beyond repute Nicjac has a reputation beyond repute Nicjac has a reputation beyond repute Nicjac has a reputation beyond repute Nicjac has a reputation beyond repute Nicjac has a reputation beyond repute Nicjac has a reputation beyond repute Nicjac has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelesFan70
It was just a stupid show altogether. I can't believe it was named the best show EVER by TV Guide.
Well, if you believe in TV Guide as appropriate for judging the quality of television shows, what do you use for judging tennis talents? People magazine?
Nicjac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 04:52 PM   #11
country flag ezekiel

ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute
loved the Seinfeld but I can't say I remember that episode at all and I thought I watched them all. I only vaguely remember that they had some tennis episodes when Jerry was involved with some psychotic wanna be player. Can you provide more info about the episode you saw?
ezekiel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 04:59 PM   #12
country flag Cam'ron Giles
Snitch

Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezekiel
loved the Seinfeld but I can't say I remember that episode at all and I thought I watched them all. I only vaguely remember that they had some tennis episodes when Jerry was involved with some psychotic wanna be player. Can you provide more info about the episode you saw?
Kramer was a "ball man" at the US Open and knocked over Seles...ruining her comeback...

Will you be there?
Cam'ron Giles is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #13
country flag griffin
double-dog daredevil

griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute
Oh lighten up, they weren't making fun of Monica, they were making fun of the character's ability to do the wrong thing in the wrong place at the wrong time.

This same show that had Kramer and Jerry accidentally dropping a junior mint into someone's body cavity after having snuck their way in to observe the guy's surgery. I realize it's not everyone's taste in humor, but they weren't trying to be mean to Monica or make light of her stabbing.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #14
country flag RJWCapriati

RJWCapriati has a reputation beyond repute RJWCapriati has a reputation beyond repute RJWCapriati has a reputation beyond repute RJWCapriati has a reputation beyond repute RJWCapriati has a reputation beyond repute RJWCapriati has a reputation beyond repute RJWCapriati has a reputation beyond repute RJWCapriati has a reputation beyond repute RJWCapriati has a reputation beyond repute RJWCapriati has a reputation beyond repute RJWCapriati has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by selesfan1
They show Seinfeld rereuns late a night here and I caught the end of one over the weekend which I found a bit inappropriate just from what I was able to see.

Elaine, Jerry and George went to the 1993 U.S. Open (it said so on the stadium)and the episode was from then. Kramer was a ballperson and Monica Seles had made it to the finals. In the final scene Elaine says "Can you believe Monca Seles is in the final after her comeback?" Jerry and George agree it's quite amazing and then the Monica stand in rushes to the net and kramer rushes out because her is the net ballperson and goes out to get the ball and "Monica" trips over him and lands face flat and everyone rushes out to help her. Very reminiscient of the stabbing pictures and afterwards they are like there is the man who reinjured Monica Seles.

If what I perceived was correct this was very inappropriate almost joking about Seles' injury. However, I also understand many people didn't know the seriousness of this injury because Monica didn't talk about it and I also know that Seles did attend the 1993 U.S. Open and even gave a press conference. Can anyone fill me in?
Never watched that show ........glad I haven't now

Follow me on twitter @RandyWhite89
RJWCapriati is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:11 PM   #15
selesfan1

selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future
I understand that it was humorous and that probably nothing was meant to be mean. Like I said, a lot of people didn't know how serious this was and there were tons of rumors circulating that she would be back by the Open in 1993. I am just questioning the timing but after "Monica" tripped she was on the ground and the people around here . The whole scene after her trip was very similar to the stabbing.