To Muslim users on WTAworld - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 12th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #1
country flag Szymanowski

Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute
To Muslim users on WTAworld

I have only just realised that something like the cartoons published in the Danish newspaper would cause so much offence. I think most would agree the reaction was completely over the top, but we need to try to understand different religions better. To be honest, I'm a Christian, and I see people making jokes about my religion ten times a day. I think nothing of it because otherwise I would probably go insane from arguing.

So why was it that the cartoons caused such anger amongst Muslim communities?

I only want to know so I have a better understanding of Islam; I want to understand and respecting everyone's values, especially Muslims, who I feel I should know more about.
Advertisement

Old Feb 12th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #2
country flag Homer & Co

Homer & Co is a name known to all Homer & Co is a name known to all Homer & Co is a name known to all Homer & Co is a name known to all Homer & Co is a name known to all Homer & Co is a name known to all Homer & Co is a name known to all Homer & Co is a name known to all Homer & Co is a name known to all Homer & Co is a name known to all Homer & Co is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkan
I have only just realised that something like the cartoons published in the Danish newspaper would cause so much offence.
Well duh! You should never underestimate the power of cartoons... They're powerful.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 10:06 PM   #3
country flag firehorse

firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of
Hello Alkan....
Because of difernt cultures and values...for some countries, peole may not get offended that easily like you mentioned..I do not know where you are coming from...but for Indoensian. malaysian or other muslim countries..it is no..no to draw a Mohammed, let alone to make fun of it...
I agree that in some countries mixed with anti western, it made things worse or may overreacted but they have a right to be very upset but in my opinion...western may have freedom to express their opinion but they ahve to undertsand that the consequences could rise and other people can become victim because of his or her freedom of expression...is that worth it??? I am not sure....

I think we have to eb a bit sensitive and considerate as we share this planet and live together./....PEACE!!

I think all of us need to be
firehorse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 10:25 PM   #4
country flag meyerpl

meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute
I'm an atheist, but I respect people of faith and seek not to offend anyone in that regard. My question is this: Why the HELL would people get so offended as to go on A violent, destructive rampage over some stupid CARTOONS, while they sit mute, saying and doing nothing, while people are STRINGING UP TEENAGE GIRLS BY THE NECK FOR BEING RAPED OR BLOWING UP PUBLIC BUILDINGS FILLED WITH INNOCENT PEOPLE IN THE NAME OF ISLAM??!!?? WTF???

"The noblest work of God? Man. Who found it out? Man." - Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H.L. Menken
meyerpl is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 11:23 PM   #5
country flag firehorse

firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerpl
I'm an atheist, but I respect people of faith and seek not to offend anyone in that regard. My question is this: Why the HELL would people get so offended as to go on A violent, destructive rampage over some stupid CARTOONS, while they sit mute, saying and doing nothing, while people are STRINGING UP TEENAGE GIRLS BY THE NECK FOR BEING RAPED OR BLOWING UP PUBLIC BUILDINGS FILLED WITH INNOCENT PEOPLE IN THE NAME OF ISLAM??!!?? WTF???

Different people/culture.....different feeling..like in your case..you are atheist so you do not care....some people care very much about their religions..
It is not about islam that they can be violent....if you offend certain religions.you may expect same thing.....
just like you said...if you respect other religions..dont ever make fun of it..Period!!!

Same thing like boys being raped or molested in Catholic church?? what do you say about that?
Not all islam will be okay if a girl got raped then we pucnih the girll..I am from Indoensia..we see hings different...again..just like christians.. you will see different type of christians..some are okay with homosexuals, some are not...

PEACE!
firehorse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 11:29 PM   #6
country flag SelesFan70

SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I have only just realised that something like the cartoons published in the Danish newspaper would cause so much offence. I think most would agree the reaction was completely over the top, but we need to try to understand different religions better. To be honest, I'm a Christian, and I see people making jokes about my religion ten times a day. I think nothing of it because otherwise I would probably go insane from arguing.

I only want to know so I have a better understanding of Islam; I want to understand and respecting everyone's values, especially Muslims, who I feel I should know more about.
Let me break it all down for you in 2 sentences: The muslims' ultimate goal is to convert you to islam. If you resist you are an infidel, and they will kill you since that's what the koran tells them to do.

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!
SelesFan70 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 11:37 PM   #7
new-york
和平.

new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelesFan70
Let me break it all down for you in 2 sentences: The muslims' ultimate goal is to convert you to islam. If you resist you are an infidel, and they will kill you since that's what the koran tells them to do.

who are "the muslims"? what is it, a whole group of violent and crazy people? Do you know one muslim?
Guess now i know why you were comparing them to Nazis in another post.

But i really hope statin those things, you're way more informated about Islam than the millions of them who practice their religion peacefully.

Fox news is a bomb.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 11:50 PM   #8
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

You shouldn't kid around like that. I'm not religious, but I respect those who are. And not all Muslims are driven by hate. http://www.islamfortoday.com/terrorism.htm

Incidentally, have you ever read the Koran?
Are you saying that the Koran condones killing people outside the faith?
You certainly post a lot of hateful statements.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 12:00 AM   #9
country flag bionic71
Worshipping POP ICON GODDESSES

bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute
As a counter point...some of the anti-semetic and anti-christian cartoons that appear regularly in Islamic publications are as equally abhorent to the faithful as those published recently in the Danish press and considered to be mocking the islamic faith.

Round and round in circles...

Last edited by bionic71 : Feb 13th, 2006 at 12:06 AM.
bionic71 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 12:09 AM   #10
country flag meyerpl

meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by new-york
who are "the muslims"? what is it, a whole group of violent and crazy people? Do you know one muslim?
Guess now i know why you were comparing them to Nazis in another post.

But i really hope statin those things, you're way more informated about Islam than the millions of them who practice their religion peacefully.

Fox news is a bomb.
See, that's the head-scratcher for me. I don't know any Muslims very well, and the few I do know aren't bomb-throwing nut-cases. They seem like wonderful people.
Something is very wrong though. Do Christians get offended when somebody makes fun of their religion? Yes. Maybe. Do they turn out in mobs, start killing people and burning buildings? Nooooo. Firehorse made an analogy about Catholic priests molesting kids. It isn't the same thing. A priest burning someone at the stake in the town square with the blessing of the Church would be a closer analogy. I don't know of any entire nations ruled with an iron fist by Catholic priests. I'm not branding the Islamic faith a bad religion; not at all. It just seems to me that, in practice, they're about five to six hundred years behind Christianity in terms of human rights. I ask myself, "How could people do those things in the name of religion?" when I read history. I ask myself the same question about Islam when I read the news!

"The noblest work of God? Man. Who found it out? Man." - Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H.L. Menken
meyerpl is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #11
country flag dementieva's fan

dementieva's fan has a reputation beyond repute dementieva's fan has a reputation beyond repute dementieva's fan has a reputation beyond repute dementieva's fan has a reputation beyond repute dementieva's fan has a reputation beyond repute dementieva's fan has a reputation beyond repute dementieva's fan has a reputation beyond repute dementieva's fan has a reputation beyond repute dementieva's fan has a reputation beyond repute dementieva's fan has a reputation beyond repute dementieva's fan has a reputation beyond repute
Ever noticed how muslims on wtaworld rarely post in the threads directed towards them? This is the reason why-
Quote:

I'm not religeous and honestly I don't know much about Islam but I know some muslims who are wonderful people, not brainwashed terrorists as you always seem to generalize.
dementieva's fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 12:48 AM   #12
country flag azmad_88

azmad_88 has a reputation beyond repute azmad_88 has a reputation beyond repute azmad_88 has a reputation beyond repute azmad_88 has a reputation beyond repute azmad_88 has a reputation beyond repute azmad_88 has a reputation beyond repute azmad_88 has a reputation beyond repute azmad_88 has a reputation beyond repute azmad_88 has a reputation beyond repute azmad_88 has a reputation beyond repute azmad_88 has a reputation beyond repute
I think you guys got the wrong info.My country is the leader of OIC(Organisation of Islamic Countries) and our country didnt have anything to attack or any road rage or anything negative but that doesnt tell us that we are not upset.Our Prime Minister handles this very well and diplomatically.Even Denmark call us for help.What im trying to say is,some people choose different ways to express their anger.But i saw the news last night,in London i think hundreds of Muslim express their feelings very well.No violence.Just normal.That is good.But in some places,they might be too offended.So they act without thinking.And for the bombings and all,i totally disagree on what they are doing,but just imagine if you are a Muslim going around the world,people will look down on you.My cousin and his family cant even enter Australia for holidays because we are muslims.I mean its tough for us.But again why must muslim be assosiated with terrorism,? Well,i think its how people labelled muslim time after time and they react to it.I just want world peace.please.

Petra Kvitova - Svetlana Kuznetsova - Li Na - Sloane Stephens - Madison Keys

Will Always Love Kim Clijsters and Elena Dementieva
azmad_88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:19 AM   #13
country flag skanky~skanketta

skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmad_88
I think you guys got the wrong info.My country is the leader of OIC(Organisation of Islamic Countries) and our country didnt have anything to attack or any road rage or anything negative but that doesnt tell us that we are not upset.Our Prime Minister handles this very well and diplomatically.Even Denmark call us for help.What im trying to say is,some people choose different ways to express their anger.But i saw the news last night,in London i think hundreds of Muslim express their feelings very well.No violence.Just normal.That is good.But in some places,they might be too offended.So they act without thinking.And for the bombings and all,i totally disagree on what they are doing,but just imagine if you are a Muslim going around the world,people will look down on you.My cousin and his family cant even enter Australia for holidays because we are muslims.I mean its tough for us.But again why must muslim be assosiated with terrorism,? Well,i think its how people labelled muslim time after time and they react to it.I just want world peace.please.
i agree with everything you've said but the bolded part. how can you be sure of that?
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:32 AM   #14
new-york
和平.

new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerpl
See, that's the head-scratcher for me. I don't know any Muslims very well, and the few I do know aren't bomb-throwing nut-cases. They seem like wonderful people.
Something is very wrong though. Do Christians get offended when somebody makes fun of their religion? Yes. Maybe. Do they turn out in mobs, start killing people and burning buildings? Nooooo. Firehorse made an analogy about Catholic priests molesting kids. It isn't the same thing. A priest burning someone at the stake in the town square with the blessing of the Church would be a closer analogy. I don't know of any entire nations ruled with an iron fist by Catholic priests. I'm not branding the Islamic faith a bad religion; not at all. It just seems to me that, in practice, they're about five to six hundred years behind Christianity in terms of human rights. I ask myself, "How could people do those things in the name of religion?" when I read history. I ask myself the same question about Islam when I read the news!
i'm wondering too. really.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:46 AM   #15
country flag ceiling_fan

ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

I think you should be directing this to the extremist Muslims who are causing the violence. There are 'normal' passive Muslims aswell and most of them (according to media) did not like the cartoons but aren't resorting to violence.

Anyway, it is quite extreme, but wouldn't you be offended if there was a very rude cartoon depicting Jesus in a bad way? Also, remember when the Catholics got upset because of a South Park episode involving the statue of Mary mother of Jesus menstruating?

Btw, you say "to be honest, I'm a Christian". Does that imply that you sometimes don't tell the truth about your faith? (Sorry, this isn't meant to be heard in an accusative way, just wondering)
ceiling_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote