Memphis: Stevenson gets WC, Tracy Austin to play in charity mixed doubles match - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 9th, 2006, 09:15 PM   #1
country flag getright

getright has much to be proud of getright has much to be proud of getright has much to be proud of getright has much to be proud of getright has much to be proud of getright has much to be proud of getright has much to be proud of getright has much to be proud of getright has much to be proud of getright has much to be proud of getright has much to be proud of
Memphis: Stevenson gets WC, Tracy Austin to play in charity mixed doubles match

Ex-champ in RMKC field

By Phil Stukenborg
Contact
February 8, 2006

Two-time Memphis champion Mark Philippoussis, a former top 10 player and the 2003 Wimbledon runnerup, was awarded the Regions Morgan Keegan Championships final wild card Tuesday.

RMKC tournament director Phil Chamberlain said Philippoussis, 29, will join previously announced wild-card entrants Mardy Fish and Scoville Jenkins in the 32-player field, which includes Andy Roddick and Tommy Haas, one the ATP Tour's hottest players.

Haas, also a former Memphis champ, is 11-2 this year with a tournament win last week at Delray Beach, Fla., and two losses to Roger Federer, the world's top-ranked player.

Chamberlain also announced Alexandra Stevenson has accepted a wild card into the Cellular South Cup, the women's event held concurrently with the men's tournament. The RMKC and CSC run Feb. 17-26 at The Racquet Club.

Coming off another injury-plagued season, Philippoussis, the hard-serving Australian, finished outside the top 100 for the second straight year. He has won one of three matches this year as he continues his comeback.

"He approached us about wanting to play here, which is good," Chamberlain said. "He has good memories here."

Philippoussis, who won the Memphis event in 1998 and 2001, hasn't played at The Racquet Club since losing a first-round match in 2003 to eventual champion Taylor Dent.

As for Stevenson, she was a finalist in 2003, dropping the championship match in three hard-fought sets to Lisa Raymond.

In addition to the player announcements, Chamberlain said Tracy Austin, a 1992 International Tennis Hall of Fame inductee, will participate in the Cellular South Cup Charity Challenge Feb. 20. The two-time U.S. Open singles champ will join Anna Kournikova and the Bryan brothers -- Bob and Mike -- in a mixed doubles match to benefit the Katrina Relief Fund, LeBonheur Children's Hospital and St Jude Children's Research Hospital.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/...449701,00.html
getright is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 9th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #2
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb

Thanks for the article... Alex should be playing in the 50K that is taking place the same week as Memhpis as she would have a better chance of winning a match or 2. But whatever... same old same old
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #3
country flag frenchie

frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute
AnnaK

I think it will be the first time she'll step on a tennis court since her "match" in Mexico

Radwanska - S. Williams - V. Williams - Kerber
frenchie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #4
country flag -sugi-

-sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute
good luck Alex

IshizuMcHaleRiskeCrawford
CornetSchmiedlovaLepchenkoTakaoTatishviliLushkova
TanasugarnMiyamuraGonzalezAoyamaWatson
I miss Ai. Rebecca and Shinobu
-sugi- is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 09:19 PM   #5
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

It should be fun to see ANNA and TRACY play against each other in Mixed Doubles
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #6
country flag jonny84

jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute
Hope Alex uses her WC well!
jonny84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 09:42 PM   #7
country flag maccardel

maccardel is a name known to all maccardel is a name known to all maccardel is a name known to all maccardel is a name known to all maccardel is a name known to all maccardel is a name known to all maccardel is a name known to all maccardel is a name known to all maccardel is a name known to all maccardel is a name known to all maccardel is a name known to all
Sorry, I thought it said Stevenson gets WC (wheelchair). What is going on with her? what happened to I am a top 10 player? Oh, the list was turned upside down....I guess she realized it and the truth hit hard.........nah, I love my girl Alex, but damn go back to Bollaterri or whomever, but not Samantha.......for crying out loud, you claim you are a college student then make some good decisions cos keeping Sam as coach is like keeping Sam as a coach.....you are top 10, but you can only get into challengers......reality sets in.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #8
Meesh

Meesh has a reputation beyond repute Meesh has a reputation beyond repute Meesh has a reputation beyond repute Meesh has a reputation beyond repute Meesh has a reputation beyond repute Meesh has a reputation beyond repute Meesh has a reputation beyond repute Meesh has a reputation beyond repute Meesh has a reputation beyond repute Meesh has a reputation beyond repute Meesh has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRAZIER~FORCE
It should be fun to see ANNA and TRACY play against each other in Mixed Doubles
Yes, that's worth the trip up there!
Meesh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #9
CoryAnnAvants#1

CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute CoryAnnAvants#1 has a reputation beyond repute
A qualy wild card would be pushing it for Alex right now, but a MAIN DRAW one?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but will Alex have used up all of her wild cards at the end of this month? Since coming back, she's used four Injury Protected Rank's (at Luxembourg, Filderstadt, Moscow, and a challenger last July). She took wild cards at all three of the WTA tour events in California last summer, one last week at a challenger in Michigan, Memphis in a couple weeks, and then she got one for a challenger in Las Vegas the week after that. She certainly can't get unlimited wild cards, so how many does she have left?
CoryAnnAvants#1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 10:27 PM   #10
vogus

vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryAnnAvants#1
A qualy wild card would be pushing it for Alex right now, but a MAIN DRAW one?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but will Alex have used up all of her wild cards at the end of this month? Since coming back, she's used four Injury Protected Rank's (at Luxembourg, Filderstadt, Moscow, and a challenger last July). She took wild cards at all three of the WTA tour events in California last summer, one last week at a challenger in Michigan, Memphis in a couple weeks, and then she got one for a challenger in Las Vegas the week after that. She certainly can't get unlimited wild cards, so how many does she have left?

It's a new season, last year's WCs don't count, so Alex has plenty left. This giveaway just shows how hard up the United States is right now for up-and-coming female tennis stars. There is basically nobody in the pipeline. Stevenson will probly get maindraw WCs at IW and Miami as well.
vogus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #11
country flag GoDominique

GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute
Well let's see who will have the honour of kicking her (fat) ass.
GoDominique is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 11:10 PM   #12
country flag alwayshingis

alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute
No way should Alex have gotten a WC. Wasted

I don't buy the argument that she draws crowds. What casual fans have ever even heard of her/remember her?
alwayshingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 03:43 AM   #13
country flag LefandePatty

LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute
Alexandra
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 03:53 AM   #14
country flag darrinbaker00
Serena's #1 Hater

darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute
Samantha must have used her "special talents" to get Alex that wild card.....
"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #15
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute
go Tracy!

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote