Helen Jacobs - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 8th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #1
country flag seles, davenport

seles, davenport is a name known to all seles, davenport is a name known to all seles, davenport is a name known to all seles, davenport is a name known to all seles, davenport is a name known to all seles, davenport is a name known to all seles, davenport is a name known to all seles, davenport is a name known to all seles, davenport is a name known to all seles, davenport is a name known to all seles, davenport is a name known to all
Helen Jacobs

Does anyone know anything about her? I 've been trying to find info on her, but barely found any. All I know is she had a powerful backhand, had an enemy in Helen Wills, and that she changed her name to Hull Jacobs(probably through marriage).
seles, davenport is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 8th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #2
country flag seles, davenport

seles, davenport is a name known to all seles, davenport is a name known to all seles, davenport is a name known to all seles, davenport is a name known to all seles, davenport is a name known to all seles, davenport is a name known to all seles, davenport is a name known to all seles, davenport is a name known to all seles, davenport is a name known to all seles, davenport is a name known to all seles, davenport is a name known to all
No one?
seles, davenport is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 10:41 AM   #3
country flag Prizeidiot

Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute
All I know is that she was the great rival of Helen Wills Moody, which you've already noted.

Also that Jack Kramer described her as a very fine player, but not in Helen Wills' league.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #4
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by seles, davenport
Does anyone know anything about her? I 've been trying to find info on her, but barely found any. All I know is she had a powerful backhand, had an enemy in Helen Wills, and that she changed her name to Hull Jacobs(probably through marriage).
I don't know a great deal about her, however, in Blast From the Past there is a nice, comprehensive thread on most of the players of the past, replete with pictures and narratives. It's alphabetically organized, so just scroll down to the Js and give it a look. http://wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=186600 The guy who can probably tell you the most about the "other" Helen is Rollo. This is my favorite pic of Jacobs:

Last edited by alfajeffster : Feb 8th, 2006 at 12:20 PM.
alfajeffster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #5
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for mention Alfa

seles, davenport if you follow Alfa's link you'll find Jacobs on page 2, with links to other bios and pics. Also, there is a thread about the 1930s in the Blast.

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.p...612#post791612

Come on and have a look and I'll be happy to talk about "The Other Helen".

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 8th, 2006 at 01:13 PM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #6
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute
It's a shame the name has fallen from popularity.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 01:33 PM   #7
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute
She won 4 US championships, 1 Wimbledon. It is true she was not as good as Wills-Moody, but then, noone was. She was up 3-0 against Wills in a Forest Hills final when Moody defaulted. That was probably the only time Jacobs was in a position to win a Major final against Moody. Moody played a doubles match shortly after her default. Moody was warned that it would not look good for her to be playing doubles having just defaulted a singles final. Moody was the Queen of tennis and did as she wanted.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #8
country flag wally1

wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future
If you can try to get hold of her book "Gallery of Champions". She describes many of her matches in great detail and is excellent on the other top players of her era...
wally1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 05:25 PM   #9
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Posted by ThrustShe won 4 US championships, 1 Wimbledon. It is true she was not as good as Wills-Moody, but then, noone was. She was up 3-0 against Wills in a Forest Hills final when Moody defaulted. That was probably the only time Jacobs was in a position to win a Major final against Moody. Moody played a doubles match shortly after her default. Moody was warned that it would not look good for her to be playing doubles having just defaulted a singles final. Moody was the Queen of tennis and did as she wanted.
Hi Thrust

Wills wanted to play doubles after defaulting in 1933-but her partner Elizabeth Ryan (regarded by many as the bast woman to never win a slam in singles) wisely convinced her not to, fearing the crowd would become violent.

Wills didn't play another match until 1935-when she came out of retirement to try and tie the Wimbledon record. She met "Little" Helen in the final. It turned out to be their most dramatic match-as Jacobs got to 5-2 in the third and match point. With her back to the wall Wills sent up a desperate lob that Jacobs let bounce. It looked like an easy putaway, but the ball didn't bounce on the grass and a gust of wind caught the ball! Jacobs went down on one knee trying to smash it and the ball hit landed in the net.

Wills recovered to win 7-5 in the third and retired for a second time.

Queen Helen came back one last time in 1938 to try and win Wimbledon for a record 8th time. Jacobs was in the final again. It looked like a close match until Jacobs puled her achilles heel while diving for a volley at 4-5. She came up lame and could barely move.

Despite people urging her to retire (American champ Hazel Wightman actually came out on court to lecture her) Jacobs stayed on court. Whatever was going through her head, she wouldn't default as Wills had in 1933.

Wills won 6-4 6-0 before a silent crowd. She had her Wimbledon record (not broken until 1990 by Naratilova) and retired from singles soon after.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 06:12 PM   #10
Steffica Greles

Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute
I've read a great deal about her in Bud Collins' book.

There's something of Graf and Sanchez-Vicario's epics in her battles with Wills-Moody.

Jacobs seemed to have the guts, the mobility and the court craft to cause Wills all kinds of problems, but ultimately wasn't quite dominant enough. But she never gave up trying.
Steffica Greles is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 06:18 PM   #11
country flag darrinbaker00
Serena's #1 Hater

darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute
I hope this helps:
http://www.hickoksports.com/biograph/jacobshelenh.shtml

Helen Hull Jacobs was literally born in Helen Wills Moody's shadow. They were rivals here in the Bay Area before they were rivals internationally.
"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 08:12 PM   #12
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute
Rollo- Thanks, at least I had it partly right. Poor Jacobs, she really had bad luck against Wills! But then, luck seems to go to the better player.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote