Suicide Tennis | Rules | - Page 7 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 25th, 2010, 02:05 PM   #91
country flag twight6

twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suicide Tennis | Rules |

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyCPsU View Post
This whole argument is dumb, and I am not saying that just because I am currently in the top 5 and recieving byes. I twice started this game with no ranking and fought my way to the top. Its clearly possible. If the byes favored people at the top as much as you people make it out to be then wouldn't you assume the top of the rankings would stay the same much more than it does. Besides the "elite" few of us () the top of the rankings are filled with different people all the time. Look at the ranking points, they clearly favor people who make good picks at the end of a tournament, not the beginning. Of course there is the occasional tournament where there is mass suicide on day 1 and the seeds have an advantage but it happens much less than you would actually think. Also if a seed makes an incorrect pick on Day 2 they recieve only one point as if they went out on Day 1. If there is mass suicide on Day 2 then they are actually at a disadvantage(albeit a small one) to the rest of the players ranking points wise.

I do agree that when figuring out who wins the tournament it probably isn't fair that the seeds aren't picking on Day 1. Maybe we can have the seeds make a pick just in case they make it to the end and the # of games lost by that pick will be factored into their overall score, but if the pick loses then they are still in.

Also, pay attention in the threads. Most people who have byes make Day 1 picks anyway just in case they don't have a bye and almost always their pick wins.
Great post Pretty much what I think.

As for deciding the winner, I also think it's unfair... Did anyone ever consider an average games lost to figure it out? That way, one less match wouldn't matter
...then I realized how much I suck.
I used to update this signature, once in a while...
...then I realized no one actually reads it.
twight6 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 25th, 2010, 02:20 PM   #92
country flag ClijstersGOAT

ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
This whole argument is dumb, and I am not saying that just because I am currently in the top 5 and recieving byes.
Just because? So you admit that this is one of the reasons you are in favour of the byes.
Since you admit that you are biased in this then maybe your opinion should not be taken seriously. This is how it works in the real world. If someone is biased, his opinion doesn't count.

Quote:
I twice started this game with no ranking and fought my way to the top. Its clearly possible. If the byes favored people at the top as much as you people make it out to be then wouldn't you assume the top of the rankings would stay the same much more than it does. Besides the "elite" few of us () the top of the rankings are filled with different people all the time.
Who said it's not possible ?
Who said that BYEs favour people at the top much ?
Please don't manipulate our words !

I only said that byes are helpful to the top players I didn't say it's a big help.
My question is why should the top players be helped at all ?
ClijstersGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #93
country flag twight6

twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClijstersGOAT View Post
Just because? So you admit that this is one of the reasons you are in favour of the byes.
Since you admit that you are biased in this then maybe your opinion should not be taken seriously. This is how it works in the real world. If someone is biased, his opinion doesn't count.

Who said it's not possible ?
Who said that BYEs favour people at the top much ?
Please don't manipulate our words !

I only said that byes are helpful to the top players I didn't say it's a big help.
My question is why should the top players be helped at all ?
Don't twist the words "just because" . You don't know if that's actually what he meant. He could've meant: Yes, I'm at the top of the game, but that's not why I feel this way.

And to answer your last question, they should be helped for the simple reason that they are top players. They've made it to the top of the game, and they should get some reward in the tournament. Just like WTA players get BYEs when they're seeded, so should Suicide players. And I've never been anywhere near the top of this game and I feel that way
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #94

ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by twight6 View Post
And to answer your last question, they should be helped for the simple reason that they are top players. They've made it to the top of the game, and they should get some reward in the tournament.
Being a top player should be reward enough and certainly would be reward enough for me.

Helping top players stay at the top is against the most basic concepts of sport and competition in general.

Quote:
Just like WTA players get BYEs when they're seeded, so should Suicide players.
Again you are making a fool of yourself by comparing Suicide to real tennis. Byes in real tennis have practical justification, which doesn't apply at all to a virtual game.

I dont know why am I even talking to you. You gave me bad rep for expressing my opinion about the byes You are obviously a troll.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #95
country flag twight6

Quote:
Being a top player should be reward enough and certainly would be reward enough for me.

Helping top players stay at the top is against the most basic concepts of sport and competition in general.

Again you are making a fool of yourself by comparing Suicide to real tennis. Byes in real tennis have practical justification, which doesn't apply at all to a virtual game.
So helping top players stay at the top is a basic concept in real competition, but not virtual competition? Which, virtual competition is modeled after real competition? That doesn't make any sense

Real tennis, BYEs give top players a pass for one round- tehy don't have to play, have no chance of losing. In Suicide, BYEs give top players a pass for the frist day- tehy don't have to pick, therefore have no chance of being knocked out. In that sense, BYEs do the exact same thing. Players move up the rankings, and once they get there, they get the reward of a day off at the start of the tournament-- in both real tennis and suicide.

Sure, BYEs have other purposes in real tennis, but in this basic sense BYEs do the same thing in both real and Suicide.

Quote:
I dont know why am I even talking to you. You gave me bad rep for expressing my opinion about the byes You are obviously a troll.
And you're talking to me because I'm the only one who wants to take the time and patience to discuss this with you. If you don't want to have a realistic conversation about it, talk to yourself, because you're not getting anywhere with any of the other Suicide players.

Old Jun 25th, 2010, 05:11 PM   #96

Quote:
So helping top players stay at the top is a basic concept in real competition, but not virtual competition?
Which part of what I said here:

Quote:
Byes in real tennis have practical justification, which doesn't apply at all to a virtual game.
didn't you understand ?

You are not the sharpest tool in the shed, are you
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #97
country flag twight6

Quote:
Which part of what I said here:

didn't you understand ?

You are not the sharpest tool in the shed, are you
I responded to that here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by twight6
Real tennis, BYEs give top players a pass for one round- tehy don't have to play, have no chance of losing. In Suicide, BYEs give top players a pass for the frist day- tehy don't have to pick, therefore have no chance of being knocked out. In that sense, BYEs do the exact same thing. Players move up the rankings, and once they get there, they get the reward of a day off at the start of the tournament-- in both real tennis and suicide.
The justification for BYEs in suicide is very simple: the best players deserve a break, a free pass on DAY01, for being the best players.

There's absolutely practical justification in Suicide as well; how "practical" is a matter of opinion, obviously.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #98

Quote:
I responded to that here:

The justification for BYEs in suicide is very simple: the best players deserve a break, a free pass on DAY01, for being the best players.

There's absolutely practical justification in Suicide as well; how "practical" is a matter of opinion, obviously.

Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:07 AM   #99
country flag Wedgie619

Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of

On the Topic of Byes...

I used to be a top player (ranked 5) now after Wimbledon... in ranked like 36...
I honestly see the arguement that those with byes have an advantage in winning a tournament, however I recieved many byes and never won a tournament!!!
I like Byes... Even if im not going to get one anytime soon
Semi/Quarter Finalist: YEC (09), Linz (07)/ Australian Open (09), Wimbledon (09)
Wedgie619 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 05:48 AM   #100
country flag Tales

Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold Tales is a splendid one to behold

Speaking of seeds, what exactly is the rules for giving byes? When do we not and when do we? I don't manage tournaments that often and I never recieve byes myself so I keep forgetting. And the rules haven't been updated since dinosaurs wandered the earth. The first page doesn't even include the word seed(and the tiebreak method is wrong).

There are two byes in Wozniacki Open, does that mean two byes in the forum game?
#9 Highest #1 Titles: 2009: Budapest, Los Angeles, Cincinnati, 2010: Sydney, Moscow
Suicide Tennis: #51 Highest #23 Win: Bad Gastein 09, 's-Hertogenbosch 10, RU: Osaka 09, Luxembourg 09
TT Singles: #114 Highest #106
TT Doubles: #62 Highest #62 Titles: 2009 ITF Saint-Gaudens(w Marco tennis), 2010 Barcelona (w WhoAmI)
Tales is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 07:40 AM   #101
country flag Wedgie619

Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of

Any tournament other then International Events or GS recieve a BYE...
The No/ of seeds in the WTA tournament correspond to the No/ of BYEs is Suicide
Semi/Quarter Finalist: YEC (09), Linz (07)/ Australian Open (09), Wimbledon (09)
Wedgie619 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 06:21 AM   #102
country flag Ivanovic2008

Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Where do i join
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:51 AM   #103
country flag DAVAJ MKirilenko
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanovicjovanski View Post
Where do i join
There's a Beijing thread. Just go to the tournament of China open. You can still play there.

1. Ana Ivanovic

2. Maria Kirilenko
3. Anastasija Sevastova
DAVAJ MKirilenko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #104
country flag ricky7

ricky7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quite Informative!!
ricky7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 08:30 AM   #105
country flag the jackal

the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light

A question:
OOP: A vs B, C vs D

My pick A, BU: C.

B withdraws and is replaced by LL.
So will my match be decided by the winner of A vs LL or C vs D?
the jackal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote