Suicide Tennis | Rules | - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 24th, 2010, 02:29 AM   #76
country flag Jolene

Jolene is a name known to all Jolene is a name known to all Jolene is a name known to all Jolene is a name known to all Jolene is a name known to all Jolene is a name known to all Jolene is a name known to all Jolene is a name known to all Jolene is a name known to all Jolene is a name known to all Jolene is a name known to all
Re: Suicide Tennis | Rules |

It's not all about points though, it's fun to try to win, and the rules for how to decide who wins should be fair. It seems like the last few tournaments have been very close, and so the bye/tiebreaker rules have really made a difference, maybe that's why it's coming up now.
Jolene is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 19th, 2010, 12:18 AM   #77
Deck

Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future

As people wrote that the tournament threads are not the appropriate place to discuss rules:

I want to emphasize that I strongly oppose the bye rule. Reasons have been given by various users to a sufficient extent, so I will keep it short. It's unjust to include byes only because they are in WTA tournaments - completely pointless.
Shall we limit tournaments to the number of real participants? No.
Shall we introduce direct encounters like they are common in global tennis? Of course not.
Shall we limit the number of tournaments players are allowed to play due to exhaustion and injuries? Never.
All bullshit. And so is the bye rule. It serves in real tennis to allow top players who made the final in the previous week to have some rest and enter in round 2, so they won't have to withdraw. Where's the parallel to suicide tennis? Realism my ass. This is NOT the WTA. It's a tipping game in an online forum, nothing more.

Conclusion: Get rid of this crap.
Deck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 12:36 AM   #78
country flag twight6

twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck View Post
As people wrote that the tournament threads are not the appropriate place to discuss rules:

I want to emphasize that I strongly oppose the bye rule. Reasons have been given by various users to a sufficient extent, so I will keep it short. It's unjust to include byes only because they are in WTA tournaments - completely pointless.
Shall we limit tournaments to the number of real participants? No.
Shall we introduce direct encounters like they are common in global tennis? Of course not.
Shall we limit the number of tournaments players are allowed to play due to exhaustion and injuries? Never.
All bullshit. And so is the bye rule. It serves in real tennis to allow top players who made the final in the previous week to have some rest and enter in round 2, so they won't have to withdraw. Where's the parallel to suicide tennis? Realism my ass. This is NOT the WTA. It's a tipping game in an online forum, nothing more.

Conclusion: Get rid of this crap.
Although I appreciate your post, it could do without the sarcasm and harsh words-- it really ruins your attempt at being civil.

Anyway, perhaps it is time for this rule to be brought back up for consideration. You should try contacting a few of the organizers and getting their opinion. I think a poll for everyone to vote on would be a good idea, but not without the consent of the organizers and their approval that if the votes are there, the rule will actually be changed
...then I realized how much I suck.
I used to update this signature, once in a while...
...then I realized no one actually reads it.
twight6 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #79
country flag DAVAJ MKirilenko
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute

If we take a next step the bye's will stay. Maybe it can be changed that bye's won't count to decide the winner.
Deck really shows not to like the rule how it is now. But this kind of language won't help.

1. Ana Ivanovic

2. Maria Kirilenko
3. Anastasija Sevastova
DAVAJ MKirilenko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 12:47 AM   #80
country flag twight6

twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVAJ MKirilenko View Post
If we take a next step the bye's will stay. Maybe it can be changed that bye's won't count to decide the winner.
Deck really shows not to like the rule how it is now. But this kind of language won't help.
I gree about the language, and I also agree that the byes will most likely stay with a vote. However, it's one of those times (and I have seen a few of them since I started playing this game) when strong opposition is coming up to the bye rule, and I think it should be settled so that the bickering and complaining doesn't continue.

That's pretty much how it works: people join or change their opinion and the opposition gets strong, and then a vote or discussion happens and the bye rule is upheld, and the opposition is calmed down... for a while, then it starts over again
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 06:31 AM   #81
country flag delicatecutter

delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe if I have time later, I can look at all the times the winner won because he/she had a Bye. I know I had a Bye in Charleston but lost the TB anyway.

The players who have earned a bye have done just that--earned it.

Suicide Champion: 2013 Miami; 2012 Doha; 2011 Dubai; 2010 Indian Wells, Bad Gastein; 2008 Melbourne, New Haven, Prague; 2007 Toronto
PAW Champion: 2012 Tokyo, Moscow; 2011 Roland Garros; 2010 Bali, Portoroz
TT Doubles Champion (with Djezonfly): 2012 Melbourne, 2011 Estoril
My Twitter
delicatecutter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 12:37 PM   #82
Deck

Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVAJ MKirilenko View Post
Seriously...twight and you can impossibly be that soft to be bothered by the language. If you are, man up And check my points again. You know I'm right. The only argument for the rule I've seen so far, is that they deserve a seeding/bye. How about bringing in Protected Rankings then to make the whole thing more complic... euh realistic. And talking about strong opposition: The only reason there isn't any in this thread is because a very low percentage of people actually looks in here or maybe even knows it exists. Sorry, but that's how it is. The number of clicks is misleading, it's not that much for 4.5 years. And yes, my opinion would be the very same if I had a ranking that would give me a bye.
Deck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #83
country flag ClijstersGOAT

ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicatecutter View Post
Maybe if I have time later, I can look at all the times the winner won because he/she had a Bye. I know I had a Bye in Charleston but lost the TB anyway.

The players who have earned a bye have done just that--earned it.
Please explain to me why have they earned it ? Why should the players with a high ranking be helped to retain their high ranking and why should the contenders and the rookies be handicapped ? Because that is what the BYE rule does, it makes all the other players handicapped.
ClijstersGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #84
country flag twight6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck View Post
Seriously...twight and you can impossibly be that soft to be bothered by the language. If you are, man up And check my points again. You know I'm right. The only argument for the rule I've seen so far, is that they deserve a seeding/bye. How about bringing in Protected Rankings then to make the whole thing more complic... euh realistic. And talking about strong opposition: The only reason there isn't any in this thread is because a very low percentage of people actually looks in here or maybe even knows it exists. Sorry, but that's how it is. The number of clicks is misleading, it's not that much for 4.5 years. And yes, my opinion would be the very same if I had a ranking that would give me a bye.
It's not that we're "bothered" by them- I use foul language all the time. The point is, if you want people to take you seriously and pay attention to your posts, swearing and degrading people isn't going to help.

It makes you look very ignorant and trashy-- like you're unable to come up with a better way to express yourself. And in an argument, that's not how you should want to represent yourself.

Actually, on second thought, please continue swearing because it helps to exemplify exaclty what kind of person you are
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 10:32 PM   #85
country flag twight6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClijstersGOAT View Post
Please explain to me why have they earned it ? Why should the players with a high ranking be helped to retain their high ranking and why should the contenders and the rookies be handicapped ? Because that is what the BYE rule does, it makes all the other players handicapped.
Sure, it handicaps them to an extent, but how much? Day 1 is (arguably) the easy day to pick correctly in Suicide- all the favorites should come through. And, since they're the top seeds, aren't they the ones that are, nine times out of ten, going to pick correctly on Day 1 anyway?

Everyone started out at the bottom of the rankings at some point, and the top players all managed to overcome the "handicap" to receive byes. Without byes, what possible point do the rankings serve?
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 10:45 PM   #86

ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold ClijstersGOAT is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by twight6 View Post
Without byes, what possible point do the rankings serve?
Are you kiding me ?

You think people want to get to the top, because they want to have BYEs ?

Old Jun 25th, 2010, 03:21 AM   #87
country flag delicatecutter

delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute

I admit when I first started playing this game 3 years ago I hated the byes and thought they were unfair. But as I moved up the rankings I realized how hard and grueling this game is. It takes a lot of skill to get yourself to the top of the rankings and be in the position of earning a bye. Again, if I have the time I will see how often a Bye has been the dealbreaker when it comes to tournaments this year. Like I said, in Charleston I had a Bye and still lost because that evil bitch Wozniacki retired. I didn't bitch about it, thems the breaks. In any case, there are no Byes in the 4 Slams where most of the points are to be made in this game. I think that evens the playing field out quite a bit. We saw this at Wimbly when IDK like 3 or 4 of the top ranked players lost on Day 1. Many of them had hella points to defend at Wimbly also.

Suicide Champion: 2013 Miami; 2012 Doha; 2011 Dubai; 2010 Indian Wells, Bad Gastein; 2008 Melbourne, New Haven, Prague; 2007 Toronto
PAW Champion: 2012 Tokyo, Moscow; 2011 Roland Garros; 2010 Bali, Portoroz
TT Doubles Champion (with Djezonfly): 2012 Melbourne, 2011 Estoril
My Twitter
delicatecutter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 03:37 AM   #88
country flag twight6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClijstersGOAT View Post
Are you kiding me ?

You think people want to get to the top, because they want to have BYEs ?

No, I'm saying: what reward is there for being near the top, besides saying "I'm near the top"? In other fantasy games, you get byes, just like in the WTA. The argument has always been: without byes in Suicide, the rankings are as pointless as the FITD rankings
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by twight6 View Post
No, I'm saying: what reward is there for being near the top, besides saying "I'm near the top"? In other fantasy games, you get byes, just like in the WTA. The argument has always been: without byes in Suicide, the rankings are as pointless as the FITD rankings
Being near the top means that you have a chance to get to the top. The purpose of every ranking is motivation, it shows how much better you have to do to get where you want to get. Besides, for some people being top3 or top5 might also be quite satisfying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicatecutter View Post
I admit when I first started playing this game 3 years ago I hated the byes and thought they were unfair. But as I moved up the rankings I realized how hard and grueling this game is. It takes a lot of skill to get yourself to the top of the rankings and be in the position of earning a bye. Again, if I have the time I will see how often a Bye has been the dealbreaker when it comes to tournaments this year. Like I said, in Charleston I had a Bye and still lost because that evil bitch Wozniacki retired. I didn't bitch about it, thems the breaks. In any case, there are no Byes in the 4 Slams where most of the points are to be made in this game. I think that evens the playing field out quite a bit. We saw this at Wimbly when IDK like 3 or 4 of the top ranked players lost on Day 1. Many of them had hella points to defend at Wimbly also.
The situation at Wimbledon shows exactly why there shouldn't be any byes. If there were byes, those players, that picked Baltacha in 1st round would still probably be in the tournament, which would be unfair. They made a wrong pick in first round and are rightfully out of the tournament. I don't see any reason why the rules should be different in other tournaments than in the slams.

Last edited by ClijstersGOAT : Jun 25th, 2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #90
country flag NyCPsU

NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute

This whole argument is dumb, and I am not saying that just because I am currently in the top 5 and recieving byes. I twice started this game with no ranking and fought my way to the top. Its clearly possible. If the byes favored people at the top as much as you people make it out to be then wouldn't you assume the top of the rankings would stay the same much more than it does. Besides the "elite" few of us () the top of the rankings are filled with different people all the time. Look at the ranking points, they clearly favor people who make good picks at the end of a tournament, not the beginning. Of course there is the occasional tournament where there is mass suicide on day 1 and the seeds have an advantage but it happens much less than you would actually think. Also if a seed makes an incorrect pick on Day 2 they recieve only one point as if they went out on Day 1. If there is mass suicide on Day 2 then they are actually at a disadvantage(albeit a small one) to the rest of the players ranking points wise.

I do agree that when figuring out who wins the tournament it probably isn't fair that the seeds aren't picking on Day 1. Maybe we can have the seeds make a pick just in case they make it to the end and the # of games lost by that pick will be factored into their overall score, but if the pick loses then they are still in.

Also, pay attention in the threads. Most people who have byes make Day 1 picks anyway just in case they don't have a bye and almost always their pick wins.

*Stephens*Hampton*Riske*Dulgheru*

*Anyone playing Wickmayer*
NyCPsU is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote