Serena: "If I didn't expect to do well here, I wouldn't be here" - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #1
country flag Modiac.
Team WTAworld

Modiac. has a reputation beyond repute Modiac. has a reputation beyond repute Modiac. has a reputation beyond repute Modiac. has a reputation beyond repute Modiac. has a reputation beyond repute Modiac. has a reputation beyond repute Modiac. has a reputation beyond repute Modiac. has a reputation beyond repute Modiac. has a reputation beyond repute Modiac. has a reputation beyond repute Modiac. has a reputation beyond repute
Serena: "If I didn't expect to do well here, I wouldn't be here"

From AO's official site
Williams Adds Bling to Open Banter
by Amanda Buivids
Saturday, 14 January, 2006

She may well be hovering three places outside the top 10 and trailing older sister Venus in the rankings, however, Australian Open defending champion Serena Williams looked every part a world No.1 on the eve of this year's event.

Despite her first non-top 10 finish in seven years, the 24-year-old declared herself fully fit and prepared for her seventh Australian Open appearance.

Wearing a bright green T-shirt, two sparkling fuschia pendants and lip gloss from her fashion-line, Williams looked, acted and exuded the confidence of the woman who held aloft the Daphne Akhurst Memorial Cup 12 months ago.

"I've had more time to prepare this year. I've had more time to prepare mentally and much more physically," she said at a media conference at Melbourne Park on Saturday.

"My preparation has been pretty cool … I've been here almost a week.

"As long as I don't beat myself, I'll be okay."

Since her arrival in Australia, the world No.13 has attracted unsavory attention about her fitness - particularly after her lengthy injury lay-off in 2005 and withdrawal from last week's Hong Kong exhibition tournament.

She was the butt of jokes following the publication of a series of less-than-flattering newspaper photographs of her and Venus exercising along Melbourne's Yarra River.

"I saw one (photograph) of me running. And I was like, wow, my hamstring muscle is that big? I had no idea my muscle was like that," she laughed.

On a serious note, though, the former world No.1 confirmed she was very much focused on the forthcoming fortnight.

"It's usually just one match at a time for me. That's the only way I look at it," she said.

"That's how I've looked at it since day one. If I didn't like my chances of winning, I wouldn't be here.

"If I didn't expect to do well here, I wouldn't be here. It would be better for me to be on the beach, St Baarts, jet skis. It would be much easier."

Despite her carefree response to fitness concerns, she sounded a warning to anyone who questioned her preparation for the first Grand Slam of 2006.

"That's cool with me … that's fine because then people will be like 'Okay, she won't be able to run'. That's a great position to be in."

Setting goals has been part of Willams' repertoire since emerging on the world stage with her first Grand Slam singles title - the US Open - in 1999.

With career prize money totaling more than $US15 million, seven singles Grand Slam titles and 26 career tour titles etched in her scrapbooks, Williams is determined to reclaim the No.1 crown that she first held in July 2002.

The 2005 Australian Open title was the only career high point in an injury-curtailed season.

Plagued by ankle and knee injuries, the fashion design student won only 14 matches from nine events following the Open, reached only one semi-final and failed to qualify for the season-ending championships for the first time since 1998.

"I've always criticised Pete Sampras for saying, you know, he wanted to win lots of Grand Slams," she said on Saturday.

"It was like 'Don't you want to be the best?' I definitely want to be No.1 in the world. I can understand what he's saying because there is nothing like winning a Grand Slam. Both the goals are definitely what I want to do, but it all starts with winning the Slams first."

The confident American plays Na Li from China in her first round match. The pair will clash in the opening Twilight Session on Rod Laver Arena.

Na Li is one of seven Chinese players to make the final 128 in the women's singles draw.

With a singles ranking of 57, the 172cm right-hander reached her second career tour singles final in 2005 and briefly held the position as China's highest-ranked woman in tour history.

A semi-finalist in Hobart, Rabat and Bali and a doubles-semi-finalist in Rabat with Australia's Nicole Pratt, Li will be keen to consolidate her form at the elite level after missing the French Open with an ankle injury and Wimbledon because of commitments in the Chinese national championships.

She reached the third round of the 2005 Australian Open, defeated by Russian Maria Sharapova 0-6 2-6.

"I've always said, everyone talks about the Russians , and I've always thought the Chinese have a great slew of players coming up," Williams said.

"There are so many Chinese players right now. Not only are they in the draw, but they are actually doing well. I'm going to have to be really ready for the match. I'm definitely not under-estimating my opponent at all."

While Serena Williams wore the confidence and bling of her budding fashion and jewellery empire, Venus, too, was happy with her approach to this year's Open.

Ranked three spots higher than her younger sister, Venus is also keen to begin 2006 as a winner - and as Australian Open champion.

"I think I have a decent chance. My whole thing is I'm not thinking about the final right now. I'm so totally focused on the first round, that's my main goal now. Then it will be round two. I'm not taking it too fast," she said.

"At the end of the day, it's always an even playing field. You don't win a match until it's over. You don't win the tournament until it's over. I think it's important not be over-confident. I think that can be a big flaw, a big downfall. I mean, we all saw what happened to Macbeth. You've got to be careful."

The 25-year-old, who claimed the world No.1 crown in February 2002, enters this year's Open at No.10 - a career ranking she believes she will improve on over the next 15 days.

"Hey, in my head, I'm always a champ. I won't usurp anyone's position, anyone ahead of me. They're obviously worked hard to get to that number. So right now I'm going to work on moving up my ranking … you guys all know what number I feel I am …"

Venus Williams meets Bulgaria's Tzvetana Pironkova in her opening round match. A member of the Bulgarian Fed Cup team in 2005, Pironkova, 18, makes her first appearance on the Rebound Ace at Melbourne Park.

Ranked 88 in the world, Pironkova has met Venus Williams on just the one occasion - losing in straight sets in May last year in a semi-final at a Tier 111 tournament in Istanbul, Turkey.
┗━┻━┻┻┻┻━┻━┻┻┻━┻┻┛

Last edited by Modiac. : Jan 14th, 2006 at 11:10 AM.
Modiac. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:15 AM   #2
country flag Modiac.
Team WTAworld

Modiac. has a reputation beyond repute Modiac. has a reputation beyond repute Modiac. has a reputation beyond repute Modiac. has a reputation beyond repute Modiac. has a reputation beyond repute Modiac. has a reputation beyond repute Modiac. has a reputation beyond repute Modiac. has a reputation beyond repute Modiac. has a reputation beyond repute Modiac. has a reputation beyond repute Modiac. has a reputation beyond repute
it seems that her form is not so bad as we expected.~
┗━┻━┻┻┻┻━┻━┻┻┻━┻┻┛
Modiac. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #3
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Let's go Serena. She's here to win.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #4
country flag Portobello

Portobello has a reputation beyond repute Portobello has a reputation beyond repute Portobello has a reputation beyond repute Portobello has a reputation beyond repute Portobello has a reputation beyond repute Portobello has a reputation beyond repute Portobello has a reputation beyond repute Portobello has a reputation beyond repute Portobello has a reputation beyond repute Portobello has a reputation beyond repute Portobello has a reputation beyond repute
she's right!!

every1 did expect to do well

Official SharpShooter of the Maria Mafia
Portobello is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 12:52 PM   #5
country flag Slumpsova

Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute
i hope you know what you saying. go Serena
Slumpsova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #6
country flag So Disrespectful

So Disrespectful has a reputation beyond repute So Disrespectful has a reputation beyond repute So Disrespectful has a reputation beyond repute So Disrespectful has a reputation beyond repute So Disrespectful has a reputation beyond repute So Disrespectful has a reputation beyond repute So Disrespectful has a reputation beyond repute So Disrespectful has a reputation beyond repute So Disrespectful has a reputation beyond repute So Disrespectful has a reputation beyond repute So Disrespectful has a reputation beyond repute
Photo-

She really looks ready. I think we underestimated her.

Casey Dellacqua, Jelena Jankovic, Anna-Lena Groenefeld,
Jelena Dokic, Mirjana Lucic, Paula Ormaechea, Sloane Stephens
Jarmila Gajdosova, Melanie Oudin, Kaia Kanepi, Alison Riske
So Disrespectful is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #7
country flag jenny161185

jenny161185 has a brilliant future jenny161185 has a brilliant future jenny161185 has a brilliant future jenny161185 has a brilliant future jenny161185 has a brilliant future jenny161185 has a brilliant future jenny161185 has a brilliant future jenny161185 has a brilliant future jenny161185 has a brilliant future jenny161185 has a brilliant future jenny161185 has a brilliant future
interesting Ive only seen one or two pictures but If she s been there a week Id say she s pretty prepared , she can play herself intot the tournament too
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 01:22 PM   #8
avocadoe

avocadoe is just really nice avocadoe is just really nice avocadoe is just really nice avocadoe is just really nice avocadoe is just really nice avocadoe is just really nice avocadoe is just really nice avocadoe is just really nice avocadoe is just really nice avocadoe is just really nice avocadoe is just really nice
love that color on her...go Serena...go Venus....
avocadoe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #9
country flag Bezz

Bezz has a brilliant future Bezz has a brilliant future Bezz has a brilliant future Bezz has a brilliant future Bezz has a brilliant future Bezz has a brilliant future Bezz has a brilliant future Bezz has a brilliant future Bezz has a brilliant future Bezz has a brilliant future Bezz has a brilliant future
She says that now, lets just wait till she loses.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #10
country flag diekedelver

diekedelver has much to be proud of diekedelver has much to be proud of diekedelver has much to be proud of diekedelver has much to be proud of diekedelver has much to be proud of diekedelver has much to be proud of diekedelver has much to be proud of diekedelver has much to be proud of diekedelver has much to be proud of diekedelver has much to be proud of diekedelver has much to be proud of
Rena

PAW US OPEN 2005 CHAMP
diekedelver is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #11
country flag shava

shava has much to be proud of shava has much to be proud of shava has much to be proud of shava has much to be proud of shava has much to be proud of shava has much to be proud of shava has much to be proud of shava has much to be proud of shava has much to be proud of shava has much to be proud of shava has much to be proud of
bad news...
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #12
country flag Bounty Hunter

Bounty Hunter has a reputation beyond repute Bounty Hunter has a reputation beyond repute Bounty Hunter has a reputation beyond repute Bounty Hunter has a reputation beyond repute Bounty Hunter has a reputation beyond repute Bounty Hunter has a reputation beyond repute Bounty Hunter has a reputation beyond repute Bounty Hunter has a reputation beyond repute Bounty Hunter has a reputation beyond repute Bounty Hunter has a reputation beyond repute Bounty Hunter has a reputation beyond repute
Ok sweetheart, I'm with you all the way no matter what..... I want to see you lifting the winners trophy on January 28th!!

*** Svetlana Kuznetsova - Victoria Azarenka - Ana Ivanovic - Shahar Peer ***
Bounty Hunter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #13
country flag jrm

jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute
Same as Wimbledon 05???
Current crushes: Johannes STRATE Tom BATEMAN Éric BRUNEAU
Simply the best: Ole Einar BJØRNDALEN and JANNE AHONEN
jrm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #14
country flag October

October is a name known to all October is a name known to all October is a name known to all October is a name known to all October is a name known to all October is a name known to all October is a name known to all October is a name known to all October is a name known to all October is a name known to all October is a name known to all
Come on SERENA! thats the confidence (inspite of being injured and out for many days !!) But i hink she stands a chance to win the Oz open. All the luck to her.

MARTINA HINGIS

ADVANTAGE

SERENA WILLIAMS

Australian Open???
Roland Garros???
Wimbledon???
US Open???
Shes got it ALL!!!
October is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #15
country flag Geisha

Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute
Terrible news for Na Li...and everybody else.

Keep rockin', girl!