Melbourne, Australia - 2006 Australian Open - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 02:54 AM   #61
country flag KirilenkoRulz

KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of
After coming back from 1-4 to win the first set, Makiri serves game 1, set 2. Two quick points (1 a GV unforced error) get Makiri out to a 30-0 lead. Makiri's unforced error followed by two more Makiri points (another on a GV unforced error) and Makiri holds for 1-0. Two more GV unforced errors, keeping up with her average from the first set. GV serving game 2. They split the first 4 points for 30-30. Makiri makes an unforced error but follow with two winners for Ad Makiri. GV gets back to deuce. Then 2 unforced errors by GV and Makiri breaks for a 2-0 lead. Makiri serving game 3 - GV winner followed by 2 GV unforced errors and a Makiri winner and Makiri up 40-15. Another GV unforced error closes out a hold for Makiri and a 3-0 lead. How many times does the underdog put up a good fight in the first set, lose a close one and then tank in the second set. GV unforced errors coming at a frantic rate right now. Makiri should close this thing out and hit the showers.
KirilenkoRulz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 03:01 AM   #62

KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of
GV serving game 4 - a Makiri winner followed by two forced errors, Makiri down 30-15. Makiri wins to 30-30, but GV comes back to win the next two points and holds at 30, Makiri serving game 5 up 3-1. Geez, a double fault and an unforced error and Makiri down 0-30. Then 3 GV unforced errors!!! Makiri up 40-30, make that 4 unforced errors in a row, Makiri holds for 4-1 going into the court change-over.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 03:08 AM   #63

Makiri loses game 6 at love, not much more to say. Makiri serving game 7 goes up 15-0 with a winner, splits the next two points 30-0 to 30-15, a GV unforced error followed by a Makiri winner and she holds at 15 for a 76(1) 52 lead into the court change over. March at 83 minutes, Makiri up in points 68-51.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 03:25 AM   #64

GV serving - Makiri wins on a GV forced error, a Makiri winner, a GV winner followed by her umpteenth unforced error and Makiri up 15-40, match points in hand! Unexplicably Makiri loses the next 4 points and loses the game. Makiri up 5-3 but a GV break gets this set back on serve. Come on Makiri close it out! Makiri serving and makes 2 unforced errors to go down 0-30 - SIX points in a row for GV after facing double match point. Makiri finally breaks the string and wins a point and then another and gets to 30-30. Oh man, Makiri double faults to 30-40, break point for GV to get back on serve. GV makes an unforced error, to duece. Makiri double faults again, but wins the next point on a forced error by GV, back to duece. GV takes the next point on a winner for her ad. Makiri gets it back to duece. Hello, Makiri was up a set and 4-1 in the second set, this should not be this exciting. Makiri wins the point on a winner to take ad, but GV wins back to duece when Makiri double faults yet again this game. GV ad on another double fault and then Makiri wins the next point back to duece. We are up to 7 dueces and I am getting off track. GV takes the next two points, breaks Makiri's serve. Set 2 is now 5-4 Makiri, and on serve. Makiri has just blown a 4-1 lead, blown two match points, and just lost a very long service game where she double faulted four times.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 03:42 AM   #65

Game 10 second set, GV serving - Makiri loses the first point on a forced error, but comes back and wins the next three points on two GV unforced errors and a Makiri winner, Makiri up 15-40, two match points. Geez, two unforced errors by Makiri get the game to duece. Another GV unforced error give Ad and another match point to Makiri. Makiri loses on an error back to duece. A Makiri winner for ad, and yet another match point, come on Makiri close it out. Yes, another GV unforced error and Makiri wins the match 76(1) 64. On to the third round. Her second third round appearance in a Grand Slam. Lindsay Davenport up next, likely on Friday.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 03:57 AM   #66

Final Match Stats for Makiri's second round win over Galina Voskoboeva 76(1) 64. Time of the match 1 hour and 52 minutes (50 first set, 62 second set). Makiri had a 66% first serve percentage (48 of 73) and won 75% of her successful first serves. Nice, 36 of her 83 won points came in this manner. She had one ace early in the match and 7 double faults. She won only 40% of her second serves. She wound up with 17 winners (to GV's 18), but had 29 unforced errors (GV ends up with a absolutely terrible 44 unforced errors, more than half of Makiri's 83 won points were on unforced errors by her opponent). Makiri came to the net 19 times (in 153 total points played) and won 11 of them. At 58% success, better than last match's 50%, but not by much. The bottom line is GV got ahead 1-4 in set one and lost in a tie-breaker, Makiri got ahead 4-1 in set two and held on to win 6-4. GV's unforced errors hurt her badly in key parts of the match. Makiri's first serve % and the % of points she won off those first serves also a key. Makiri was broken 3 times, but one was that very long duece game in game 9 of the second set. A win is a win, but all the double faults and unforced errors by both players, was not pretty.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 04:02 AM   #67
country flag Keraj

Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold
7 or 8 MP`s needed against a girl who was never in TOP 100... I don`t expect miracles on Friday...
Keraj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 04:06 AM   #68
country flag houseoflords

houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of
While it wasn't pretty, it still is a good win for Masha. It matches her career best result at a Grand Slam (2003 US Open). The 7 double faults is a concern. She'll need to reduce that drastically if she wants any chance of beating Davenport. Although her success rate at net isn't what I'd like it to be, she needs to keep comiong to net. I actually would like her to come in even more.

The good news for us Masha fans here in the States is that we should get to see some Kirilenko on tv for a change with Davenport being Maria's next opponent.

Good luck Masha! Go for it!
Maria Kirilenko #1 Magical Masha
Official Timpani Player in Kirilenko's Orchestra
Dominika Dynamo Domi
Caroline
Steph Cornish
Tati, Madison, Amanda C, Cory Ann, Gisela, Agnes, Sorana, Aurelija, A. Baker, Peer, Paszek, Ivanovic, Gail B, Ch. Gull., Krajicek, Larsson, Dokic, Nooni, Bibi, Jade, Andrea H, Nicole V, Kristen Schl.,Yvette, Megan A., Cecil, Sesil,Herz, Olivia R
houseoflords is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #69
country flag so.krist!na

so.krist!na has a reputation beyond repute so.krist!na has a reputation beyond repute so.krist!na has a reputation beyond repute so.krist!na has a reputation beyond repute so.krist!na has a reputation beyond repute so.krist!na has a reputation beyond repute so.krist!na has a reputation beyond repute so.krist!na has a reputation beyond repute so.krist!na has a reputation beyond repute so.krist!na has a reputation beyond repute so.krist!na has a reputation beyond repute
Maria will play Mixed Doubles with Igor Andreev...
I love this team!
and they will play Ivanovic/Djokovic first round..OMG..
good luck igor/maria!

A.K.A MakiriRocks
so.krist!na is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 10:08 AM   #70
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute
Tougher than i would have thought but she did well to fight thru a win, well done Maria good luck against Lindsay
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #71
country flag ceciliaf92

ceciliaf92 has much to be proud of ceciliaf92 has much to be proud of ceciliaf92 has much to be proud of ceciliaf92 has much to be proud of ceciliaf92 has much to be proud of ceciliaf92 has much to be proud of ceciliaf92 has much to be proud of ceciliaf92 has much to be proud of ceciliaf92 has much to be proud of ceciliaf92 has much to be proud of ceciliaf92 has much to be proud of
Maria beat the 2 players she had to beat, now just try you best !
Davai Masha!

MY FAN ARTS & TENNIS PICS

James, Feli, Mario, Marat, Jo

Myspace
ceciliaf92 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #72

As expected, Team Dulkolenko opens its 2006 season on Thursday (19 Jan) as the 3rd match on Court 21. There is only one more court further out from the main action than Court 21, they keep pushing Makiri further and further out on the grounds, if this keeps up she will play her next match in Sydney (which Drew would love!). First round opponent Randriantefy/Smashnova. Gisela will also be playing her 2nd singles (first match on court 6 at 1100) Thursday. The first two matches on Court 21 are mens doubles so maybe Team Dulkolenko hits the court around 1400 hours, about 2100 hours Wednesday night where I live, ESPN2 starts their Australian Open coverage at 2130 my time and I am sure they will cut right to a women's doubles match on Court 21, not. Tournament scheduling has been very logical, a nicely run show so far, if it continues as such Makiri-Lindsay I (first match between the two) will be on Friday Melbourne/Thursday evening in the US.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #73

Thanks CaroRulz for the mixed doubles info! Now how cool would it be to have a chance to play mixed doubles with Makiri, so a bit on Igor Andreev. Born, raised and still lives in Moscow (ok, starting to get this mental image that everyone in Moscow is a tennis player), #23 seed in mens singles. He won his first singles match and is to the second round. Played Men's Doubles with Davydenko and they lost in three sets in the first round. He is 22 years old, 6' (1.83) and 176 pounds (80).
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #74

One last "fact thing"... Makiri did in fact hold her #25 ranking in the 16 January WTA Rankings. This #25 ranking is the highest Makiri has ever attained and she has now held it for a good bit of time. The person in front of Makiri is Golovin who lost in the first round at the Australian Open and was protecting a 2nd round result from 2005. She will drop points in the next ranking. Makiri also is protecting a 2nd round result but has already advanced to the 3rd round. She will pick up points in the next ranking. As Makiri was only behind Golovin by 28 ranking points, hehe, we may just see her move up to #24 in the post Australian Open rankings! Number 23 is Jankovic who is some 90 points ahead of Makiri, she was protecting a 2nd round from 2005 and lost in the second round last night. Unless Makiri goes several rounds deeper in the draw, not likely she will get to Jankovic, but she will close the gap a bit. Forget #22 Ivanovic and #21 Groenefeld, both still playing and pretty far ahead of Makiri in points. For some perspective numbers 9,10,11,18,23,24,26,28,29,30 have already lost at the Australian Open, seems that Makiri will be putting some more distance between herself and many directly behind her in the rankings.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #75
country flag King Aaron
Team WTAworld
Mr. Try Too Hard

King Aaron has disabled reputation
Well done on reaching the 3rd round. Now just play your best against Lindsay on Friday.

Good luck in doubles tomorrow and also in mixed doubles.