Melbourne, Australia - 2006 Australian Open - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 03:56 AM   #31
country flag KirilenkoRulz

KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of
Second set - Makiri broken at 15 in the opening game, 61 01. Not to worry, Linetskaya has not held serve yet. Makiri breaks back at 15 to tie 1-1. Makiri had two winners to go with a Linetskaya double fault and unforce effort to take the game. Makiri serving in a match with 7 breaks and 2 holds so far! Makiri wins the first three points with a winner and two unforced efforts and may hold serve....yes, Makiri holds at love for a 61 21 lead going into the court change.
KirilenkoRulz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 04:14 AM   #32

KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of
BTW, would love to see some of Makiri's match on ESPN2, but they have been non-stop on the Venus Williams match. After winning the first set easily, Venus got bageled 06 in the second set and then got down 35 in the third. She just broke back to 45 and now back on serve. Her opponent is one Pironkova from Bulgaria, like 95 rank. The American broadcasters are having trouble with her last name, they keep calling her the "young Bulgarian".

Three upsets so far on the woman's side, Dementivia (#9 seed) got beat 57 26 (sorry Henry); and the two women bookending Makiri in the seeds both lost, so #24 Golovin out in three sets and #26 Sugiyama out in straight sets. Lindsay and Nadia both win by the same score 62 61 but Daniela H needed a third set to Soari Obata. For some reason there was about a 10 minute delay coming out of the court change over but they are back at it with Linetksaya. Makiri got down 30-40 but is back at duece, unforced error by Linetskava and a winner by Makiri and it is 61 31 with Makiri serving. Makiri gets another ace but is down 15-30 when Linetskaya retires. Makiri wins 61 31 ret.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 04:23 AM   #33
country flag Keraj

Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold
Oh well, I guess a win is a win
Just some trouble holding serve by Masha...
Keraj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 04:30 AM   #34

Final stats - 40 minute match - 24 first set, 16 second. Makiri 62% first serve percentage (21-34), 3 aces, 3 double faults, 13 winners, 16 unforced effors. She won 52% of her first serves, 46% of her second. Makiri came to the next 16 times (out of a total of 69 points played) and won 8 for a 50% (am sure she wants to improve that). Total points 43 won by Makiri, 26 lost. She held serve 3 times and was broken 2 times. Did not actually see the match as Pironkova-Venus Williams is now 7-7 in the third set and ESPN2 never moved off that match. They also showed a lot of the Davenport match, go figure, American TV showing the high seed American players, and never cut to a blow out match between two Russians. But all in all a very convincing, rout by Makiri in 40 minutes. The second round match up should not be as challenging. Maybe best of all for me, Makiri comes back off a tough lost to Petrova and wins, just as she came off a tough loss to Bepa Z and beat Gisela in Sydney. She has shown some resiliancy, hasn't she. And continues another nice trend, she keeps beating the players she should beat. This is how Big Masha got it all started. A great day for Makiri fans!
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 04:40 AM   #35
country flag Zoltan83

Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute
Good start even if she didn't finish the match

Good luck to : Daniela Hantuchova - Gisela Dulko - Maria Kirilenko - Nicole Vaidisova - Jarmila Gajdosova - Iona Raluca Olaru - Edina Gallovits - Sorana Cristea - Dominika Cibulkova - Stéphanie Dubois - Marie-Eve Pelletier - Valerie Tetreault - Jillian O'Neill -Mandy Minella - Dinara Safina - Karolina Sprem - Alicia Molik - Ana Ivanovic - Martina Hingis
Zoltan83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 05:02 AM   #36
country flag Keraj

Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold
Masha will play another Russian in the second round...
Voskoboeva beat Gagliardi 64 63
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 05:17 AM   #37
country flag houseoflords

houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of
Good start for Masha. Always good to get an easy win off the bat, even if she did have a little difficulty on serve. Her return was obviously working which is a really good sign and although she only won half the points, I'm glad to see she came to net 16 times. She needs to be aggressive and keep coming to net. Good luck in round 2 Masha!! Keep it rolling!!
Caroline Krunic Bouchard Coetzer

Golovin, Cirstea, Avants, Dulko, Szavay, Miseviciute, A. Baker, Ivanovic, Larsson, Cornish, Dokic, Cornet, Giorgi, Schoofs, Brengle, Hlavackova
houseoflords is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 05:21 AM   #38
country flag Derek.
Two and counting.

Derek. has a reputation beyond repute Derek. has a reputation beyond repute Derek. has a reputation beyond repute Derek. has a reputation beyond repute Derek. has a reputation beyond repute Derek. has a reputation beyond repute Derek. has a reputation beyond repute Derek. has a reputation beyond repute Derek. has a reputation beyond repute Derek. has a reputation beyond repute Derek. has a reputation beyond repute
Good win Masha. Good luck against Galina!
Derek. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 09:57 AM   #39
country flag Dementirilenko

Dementirilenko is a splendid one to behold Dementirilenko is a splendid one to behold Dementirilenko is a splendid one to behold Dementirilenko is a splendid one to behold Dementirilenko is a splendid one to behold Dementirilenko is a splendid one to behold Dementirilenko is a splendid one to behold Dementirilenko is a splendid one to behold Dementirilenko is a splendid one to behold Dementirilenko is a splendid one to behold Dementirilenko is a splendid one to behold
Congrats to Makiri for reaching the second round!!! Neyt up is Galina, should be a possible task, am i right. As we can see, the third round against Lindsay is close.

Patty Schnyder, Anastasia Myskina
Marat Safin, Lleyton Hewitt, David Nalbandian

"I think I played well, I just finished at the wrong time."

Cellist at Kirilenko's Orchestra
Formerly known as "henner"
Dementirilenko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:52 AM   #40
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute
Well done on the victory Maria
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:58 AM   #41
country flag Langers

Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute
Well I had an awesome day at the tennis today. The Kirilenko game started at about 2:00. Firstly I have to say she looked magnificent in her outfit. The crowd was pretty poor to begin with, but as they walked past and saw this gorgeous girl playing, more and more came to watch. Maria played quite well, she came into net every so often and really moved her opponent around the court. It was obviously her plan to move her from side to side and wear her down. Then at the beginning of the second set, she took an injury time out, and there was speculation as to whether she would retire. She eventually came back out, but only played for another 2 or so games before retiring. The game probably lasted about 45 minutes, so Maria wasn't tested much at all. Then came the real excitement from the day. Maria was signing plenty of autographs, and then she came over to where I was and have me an autograph. She is truly one of the nicest girls; she stayed for ages just signing everything.

Then as I was wondering around the outside courts towards the end of the day I happened to see Maria having a hit with her coach. She had a long session, and once again she signed plenty of autographs to please all her fans. Can’t wait to see her again on Wednesday!

I took plenty of pics, now I just have to figure out how to post them.
Langers is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #42
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the report great to hear
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #43
country flag Keraj

THX a lot Langers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers
Then as I was wondering around the outside courts towards the end of the day I happened to see Maria having a hit with her coach.
You mean with her father , right ? I`m asking because as far as i know she don`t have a coach, which BTW I find a little strange... but as long as she is winning I won`t complain about that
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 01:19 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers
Well I had an awesome day at the tennis today. The Kirilenko game started at about 2:00. Firstly I have to say she looked magnificent in her outfit.
Daniel - Absolutely awesome that you got to meet Makiri and see her play up close! Court 7 is pretty small so you should have been right with the action during the match. So how did she sign your autograph, the script MK? Thanks for the report, please keep 'em comin'.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #45

Day 2 - Tuesday will be Makiri-less. No matches scheduled as the women's singles will be going through the bottom half of the draw and doubles have not begun yet. BTW, the Mixed Doubles draw not posted yet and Makiri often will play mixed at the slams. Some interesting trends from day 1
1. 16 seeds played and 6 lost in the first round (out are 24 Golovin, 10 Venus W., 26 Sugiyama, 28 Medina Garrigues, 9 Dementieva, 29 Koukalova) and 3 more had to go a 3rd set to win (Daniela H, Serena W, Jankovic). So only 7 of the 16 seeds did what Makiri accomplished, straight set win in the first round.
2. Big Masha starts 2006 with a good win 62 61 and plays a qualifier Ashley Harkleroad of the US in the second round. She has 2 more rounds without a seeded player in her way but may catch Daniela or Serena in the 4th round.
3. The Asian woman (China and Japan) went 0 wins - 6 losses.
4. The "big Russia" did well with 9 of the final 32 in the top half of the draw being from Russia or the Ukraine.
5. Of Makiri's friends, Marta Donmachowska got Henin-Hardenne in the first round and lost in straight sets. Big Masha won as noted. Gisela Dulko and Anna Chakvetadze play today.
6. The two seeds that would be first in Makiri's way both won easily, so for all the upsets none of near term help for her - what you thought a draw might break in her favor a little bit? Davenport (1) wins at 2 & 1; Kuznetsova (14) wins at 1 & 3.