Melbourne, Australia - 2006 Australian Open - Page 11 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 03:16 AM   #151
country flag SzavayFi
4 8 15 16 23 42

SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseoflords
I'm not sure if anyone here caught this, but Maria has a new coach. His name is Taylor, Dave Taylor I think. Her dad was coaching her since the summer but wanted someone more experienced to help her out. I'm glad dad had enough sense and vision to know that to take the next step, someone else needs to guide her there.
Yea I noticed that too It was a very wise desision on her part

The dubs match is about to start
SzavayFi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 03:16 AM   #152
country flag SzavayFi
4 8 15 16 23 42

SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!--Duiz™--!!!
I noticed.. I wish Robert Lansdorp could join her.. as well as a good pedicure..
Yea her toes look like mine But hey, thats what happens when you play tennis
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 04:12 AM   #153
country flag Langers

Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute
Excellent result, Kirilenko and Dulko won 6-1, 6-1 in about an hour. They are now through to the Quarter-Finals where they will meet the top seeds Raymond/Stosur, what is it with Maria and playing the top seeds? She continues her excellent Australian Open, well done Maria
Langers is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 04:29 AM   #154
country flag houseoflords

houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of
Excellent result for Masha & Gisela. I thought they'd win but not that easily. They played Raymond & Stosur in the final of New Haven and lost in 3 sets. Hopefully, we'll have a different result this time. Good luck Masha & Gisela!!!
Caroline Krunic Bouchard Coetzer

Golovin, Cirstea, Avants, Dulko, Szavay, Miseviciute, A. Baker, Ivanovic, Larsson, Cornish, Dokic, Cornet, Giorgi, Schoofs, Brengle, Hlavackova
houseoflords is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 05:33 AM   #155
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseoflords
I'm not sure if anyone here caught this, but Maria has a new coach. His name is Taylor, Dave Taylor I think. Her dad was coaching her since the summer but wanted someone more experienced to help her out. I'm glad dad had enough sense and vision to know that to take the next step, someone else needs to guide her there.
He is Alicia Molik's Coach or ex coach for now at least he has done wonders for alicia he can do the same for Maria
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:53 AM   #156
country flag Keraj

Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold Keraj is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers
Excellent result, Kirilenko and Dulko won 6-1, 6-1 in about an hour.
Yup I saw the match point... ended with a beautiful stop volley from Masha

Last year I saw a couple of her doubles matches and for me, she is already one of the best doubles players in the world, I think Dulkolenko Team can win a Grand Slam title this year, it wouldn`t suprise me at all
Keraj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 12:15 PM   #157
country flag KirilenkoRulz

KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of
Team Dulkolenko up again on Tuesday (24 Jan), third match on MCA, as usual first match at 1100, will see Makiri on court 1400-1500 range:
Women's Doubles - Qtr. Finals
Lisa Raymond (USA)[1]/Samantha Stosur (AUS)[1]
vs.
Gisela Dulko (ARG)[10]/Maria Kirilenko (RUS)[10]

As Daniel noted, Makir gets the distinction of having to play #1 in singles and doubles, at least she got to the quarters in doubles before doing so. Sam lost to Hingis last night. BTW in singles on both w/m sides only 1 American left (Lindsay) and 3 Swisspersons. Shows the sad state of American tennis right now.
KirilenkoRulz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 12:28 PM   #158
country flag Langers

Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirilenkoRulz
BTW in singles on both w/m sides only 1 American left (Lindsay) and 3 Swisspersons. Shows the sad state of American tennis right now.
To expand on that, how much interest is in American tennis right now as far as the general public is concerned? I remember the period when you had Sampras, Agassi, Martin, Courier all dominating the ATP, and Seles, Davenport, and even Capriati all enjoying success on the WTA tour. You were the envy of every nation, but there are others who have now overtaken you. I was wondering whether the public takes much interest in tennis, because everyone I seem to speak to in the US barely even watch a match. It's disappointing.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 01:50 PM   #159

KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of KirilenkoRulz has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers
To expand on that, how much interest is in American tennis right now as far as the general public is concerned?
Would be interested to hear what House and Cat think, but here is my opinion (and it is opinion only). ESPN2 had shown like 74 hours of coverage of the Australian Open in the first week, originally only 50 hours or so were scheduled. So they are increasing their coverage by quite a bit. ESPN is very ratings-centric so they must be getting good numbers to add that much coverage. The USO is always setting new attendance records and is a very hot ticket. And we have two tennis courts in our development, on a weekend afternoon you have to wait to play, ditto for the dozen or so courts at the high school when they are open to the public. Our little suburban town of 20,000 has its own "tennis center" and I will play in a league this spring at the Southlake Tennis Center. There must be at least 30 tennis courts available in our little town. Most high schools in our area have tennis teams. And tennis at the university level is also very strong., So from a grass roots and fan perspective I think tennis is doing great. That said, if you are a little girl growing up in most American suburbs there are so many choices as to extra-curricular activities most high schools will have teams for girls: basketball, soccer, volleyball, baseball, tennis, golf, swimming, cross country, girls even play ice hockey at our high school, then there is marching band, cheerleading, gymnastics, etc. Could be that the atheletic talent on the woman's side is just spread over a larger number of options. Looking at the top 10 American women in the last WTA Rankings - 5 of the top 10 will be 30 years old or older in 2006 (Lindsay turns 30 this year), 4 will turn between 25-29 and even #89 in the world Jamea Jackson will turn 20 in 2006. Looking for someone like Makiri in the American ranks (a teenager with top 20 potential in the near term), can't find a single one.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 02:10 PM   #160
country flag Langers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirilenkoRulz
Would be interested to hear what House and Cat think, but here is my opinion (and it is opinion only). ESPN2 had shown like 74 hours of coverage of the Australian Open in the first week, originally only 50 hours or so were scheduled. So they are increasing their coverage by quite a bit. ESPN is very ratings-centric so they must be getting good numbers to add that much coverage. The USO is always setting new attendance records and is a very hot ticket. And we have two tennis courts in our development, on a weekend afternoon you have to wait to play, ditto for the dozen or so courts at the high school when they are open to the public. Our little suburban town of 20,000 has its own "tennis center" and I will play in a league this spring at the Southlake Tennis Center. There must be at least 30 tennis courts available in our little town. Most high schools in our area have tennis teams. And tennis at the university level is also very strong., So from a grass roots and fan perspective I think tennis is doing great. That said, if you are a little girl growing up in most American suburbs there are so many choices as to extra-curricular activities most high schools will have teams for girls: basketball, soccer, volleyball, baseball, tennis, golf, swimming, cross country, girls even play ice hockey at our high school, then there is marching band, cheerleading, gymnastics, etc. Could be that the atheletic talent on the woman's side is just spread over a larger number of options. Looking at the top 10 American women in the last WTA Rankings - 5 of the top 10 will be 30 years old or older in 2006 (Lindsay turns 30 this year), 4 will turn between 25-29 and even #89 in the world Jamea Jackson will turn 20 in 2006. Looking for someone like Makiri in the American ranks (a teenager with top 20 potential in the near term), can't find a single one.
Thanks for that Walt. Well that’s interesting to hear about ESPN and their decision to raise the amount of coverage. I noticed that while I was at the Aussie Open, ESPN had their own little ‘tent’ where they had some reporters and what not. It was pleasing to see that they were at least interested enough to go down under to cover it.

I’m glad that your suburban town is taking steps to boost tennis, such as the development of new courts. It’s always important that if people want to have a hit, they can. You need to get people interested in tennis from a young age, and it sounds as though this is happening.

So not many current American teenagers on the verge of being champions? This is the case in Australia. It’s frightening to think about how low our stocks are, Molik and Stosur are in the top 100, and then we have Pratt at 127. Very disappointing...
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:04 PM   #161
country flag houseoflords

houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of houseoflords has much to be proud of
Tennis in America has different levels. There are places where it is more popular than others, places where a lot of people do it. Other places, it is a class thing. Where I live currently in Pennsylvania, it is mainly a rich kid thing. Many kids believe it is too expensive and spend their efforts on other sports like soccer, basketball, football and baseball. Part of the reason for this is, in the winter there is no public place to play tennis in the winter. The Tennis & Racquet Clubs have very high membership fees. More public tennis centers are needed and more efforts need to made to draw kids to the game.

As for the interest in the pro tours, it varies. Many of my friends are tennis fans, but then again I've met many of them while working the US Open the past six years. There are a lot people who only know a few players and if they aren't playing, they don't watch. Basically, many tennis fans in America are casual tennis fans. ESPN2 has aired more tennis at the Australian Open so far this year which is good. More coverage is a good thing, but the American broadcasters really need to stop the total American bias.

As for players, right now the future of American tennis isn't that bright. KirilenkoRulz is right when he says that there really isn't any young player with top 20 potential. Alexa Glatch made it to the US Open junior girls final last year, but I don't see a lot of room for growth i her game. None of the other juniors have made much of a dent. I know junior tennis success isn't necesarrily an indicator of success as a pro, but most successful pros were at least in contention as a junior. I always watch the junior girls tournament at the US Open and I see a lot of potential future Top 20 players from Europe. But there aren't any players like Viki Azarenka, Agnes Szavay, Michaella Krajicek, Dominika Cibulkova, Tamira Paszek in the American ranks.
houseoflords is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:05 PM   #162
country flag Dementirilenko

Dementirilenko is a splendid one to behold Dementirilenko is a splendid one to behold Dementirilenko is a splendid one to behold Dementirilenko is a splendid one to behold Dementirilenko is a splendid one to behold Dementirilenko is a splendid one to behold Dementirilenko is a splendid one to behold Dementirilenko is a splendid one to behold Dementirilenko is a splendid one to behold Dementirilenko is a splendid one to behold Dementirilenko is a splendid one to behold
Great to hear that Makiri and Gisela reached the fourth round at Melbourne in the doubles - competition with this really strong 6.1, 6.1 victory over Hantuchova/Sugyiama. I didn't expect such a clear result. It will give our darling a lot of confidence, cause now she defiently has a great start into the new season, after reaching the singles third round and after playing a great match against Davenport. Let's see how far Dulkolenko will bring it in Doubles.

Patty Schnyder, Anastasia Myskina
Marat Safin, Lleyton Hewitt, David Nalbandian

"I think I played well, I just finished at the wrong time."

Cellist at Kirilenko's Orchestra
Formerly known as "henner"
Dementirilenko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 10:23 PM   #163
country flag SzavayFi
4 8 15 16 23 42

Wow a demolition over Dani and Sugiyama Weldone girls I hope Danis leg isnt still bothering her though
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 01:43 AM   #164
country flag Zoltan83

Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute
Amazing victory! I didn't expect this result

Vamaï Dulkolenko! You've nothing to lose in the next round!!

Good luck to : Daniela Hantuchova - Gisela Dulko - Maria Kirilenko - Nicole Vaidisova - Jarmila Gajdosova - Iona Raluca Olaru - Edina Gallovits - Sorana Cristea - Dominika Cibulkova - Stéphanie Dubois - Marie-Eve Pelletier - Valerie Tetreault - Jillian O'Neill -Mandy Minella - Dinara Safina - Karolina Sprem - Alicia Molik - Ana Ivanovic - Martina Hingis
Zoltan83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #165

Hmmm, sure everyone has seen this but just to be complete

Lisa Raymond USA (1)
Samantha Stosur AUS (1) 6 6

Gisela Dulko ARG (10)
Maria Kirilenko RUS (10) 3 2

It was like 2-2 in the first set when Lisa and Sam pulled away. The second set was never a contest. So Makiri officially done with the Australian Open 2006 -
Singles 2 wins - 1 loss (the loss to the #1 seed)
Doubles 3 wins - 1 loss (the loss to the #1 seed)
Mixed 0 wins - 1 loss (hmmm, don't know about that guy Igor)
Over all a 5-3 record. Played 8 matches over 9 days, never more than one match in any day. As best I can tell Makiri will move up to #24 in the WTA Singles Rankings when they are released on 30 Jan. I saw someone on the Russian site calculates Makiri to move up to #23, either way she will hit her new high ranking ever in singles.