Sharapova's injury not pec muscle but dislocated rib - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:27 AM   #1
country flag ceiling_fan

ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute ceiling_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Sharapova's injury not pec muscle but dislocated rib

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/stor...813162&ATT=199
-i can't believe she only found out until now-
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Now that Maria Sharapova knows what is wrong with her sore right shoulder, she's confident she can play through the pain at next week's Australian Open.

Sharapova, who won her first Grand Slam title at age 17 in 2004 and rose to No. 1 in the rankings for two short periods last year, traveled to Melbourne unsure if she'd be fit enough to play in the season's first major.
After months of pain, the Russian star said doctors had identified that her problem stemmed from a dislocated rib, not a pectoral muscle problem.

"It's not 100 percent. I wouldn't say it's at the top level. But at least I know the cause of the problem," Sharapova said Thursday. "The good thing is, the doctors have told me it can't get any worse.

"As long as I know I can't hurt it any more, I'm going to have to suck it up and do the best I can."

Sharapova became the darling of the WTA Tour after her breakthrough win at Wimbledon, as much for her model looks as for her tennis.

The Florida-based Sharapova, speaking at a pink-themed sponsor's event at a swanky downtown hotel, said she's determined to be more than a one Grand Slam wonder.

Sharapova was the only woman to make the semifinals at three of the four majors last season and went down to the eventual champion at all four Grand Slam events.

She wants to go one better at least once in 2006.

Provided second-ranked Kim Clijsters overcomes a hip problem she sustained in Sydney on Wednesday, all of the top 10 women and defending champion Serena Williams will be in the draw at Melbourne Park for the first time in many years.

Asked who the favorite should be, Sharapova said she didn't want to give her rivals a boost by nominating anyone.

"If you want my confidence to be up, I have to say myself," she said.

She'll be coming off a low-key buildup, playing only five events in the latter part of last season.

"I think I need a few matches to prepare," she said. "I'm not going to be playing my best in the first round, but I'm sure gradually as I go, I'm sure my form will come back to normal."

Sharapova lost to Serena Williams in the Australian Open semifinals last year despite serving for the match in the second and third sets.
ceiling_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:46 AM   #2
country flag DomenicDemaria

DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute
She said today on the news that she would play with the pain.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:49 AM   #3
country flag Spunky83

Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute
Can you have a surgery on that?

Visit: Anastasia-Myskina.com
Inside-Tennis.net
Justine - Nastya - Ana

M-A2R0T0I6N-A
Spunky83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:49 AM   #4
country flag KimC&MariaSNo1's

KimC&MariaSNo1's has a reputation beyond repute KimC&MariaSNo1's has a reputation beyond repute KimC&MariaSNo1's has a reputation beyond repute KimC&MariaSNo1's has a reputation beyond repute KimC&MariaSNo1's has a reputation beyond repute KimC&MariaSNo1's has a reputation beyond repute KimC&MariaSNo1's has a reputation beyond repute KimC&MariaSNo1's has a reputation beyond repute KimC&MariaSNo1's has a reputation beyond repute KimC&MariaSNo1's has a reputation beyond repute KimC&MariaSNo1's has a reputation beyond repute
go sharapova i hope shes in lindsays half so that she can meet clijsters in the final
KimC&MariaSNo1's is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:50 AM   #5
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute
In a way this is good news now that we know what the problem is things can be done to treat it and make sure she fully recovers from it.
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #6
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah it's good news

But also scary that she has to play with the pain, who knows how long it takes before something like this is healed!?

Wimbledon 04 US Open 06
Australian Open 08 Roland Garros 2012
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #7
country flag Spunky83

Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute
I was really interested so I looked it up: http://www.mdadvice.com/library/sport/sport170.html

Quote:
DEFINITION--Injury and displacement of a rib where it joins the sternum (breastbone) or spinal column. DISLOCATION means the rib and adjoining bones no longer touch each other. SUBLUXATION is a minor dislocation in which the joint surfaces still touch, but not in normal relation to each other.

(...)

POSSIBLE COMPLICATIONS
--------------------
AT THE TIME OF INJURY:

Shock.
Pressure or damage to nearby nerves, ligaments, tendons, muscles, blood vessels or connective tissue.
Injury to the underlying lung. AFTER TREATMENT OR SURGERY:
Excessive internal bleeding.
Impaired blood supply to the dislocated area.
Death of bone cells due to interruption of the blood supply.
Infection introduced during surgical treatment.
Continuing dislocations, often with progressively less provocation.
Prolonged healing if activity is resumed too soon.
Unstable or arthritic rib joints following repeated injury.
Ewwww....that must hurt.

Visit: Anastasia-Myskina.com
Inside-Tennis.net
Justine - Nastya - Ana

M-A2R0T0I6N-A
Spunky83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:07 AM   #8
country flag Sam L
blue swan

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Go Maria!

In the mood for love of Clio & Urania
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #9
franny

franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute
Very brave of her to play with a dislocated rib. My respect for her goes up even more. She probably won't win with this injury, but just the fact that she is willing to play with the pain is an admirable thing. However, I wish her the best and hope she does not further hurt herself.
no i am not talking about a racket or a squirrel, i am talking about the former and future number 1..............
martina hingis!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck Justine Henin Hardenne, Venus Williams, Maria Sharapova, Mary Pierce, and any of my other favorites that I might have forgotten about at this moment.
franny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #10
country flag Dan23

Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute
Yea its a tough injury to play with but Maria should get more confidence in it from the knowledge that it shouldnt get any worse. More time is needed between tournaments after the AO to help it gradually heal without overplaying it.
Dan23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #11
country flag Porcupine

Porcupine has much to be proud of Porcupine has much to be proud of Porcupine has much to be proud of Porcupine has much to be proud of Porcupine has much to be proud of Porcupine has much to be proud of Porcupine has much to be proud of Porcupine has much to be proud of Porcupine has much to be proud of Porcupine has much to be proud of Porcupine has much to be proud of
YAY
こうして閉じれば見えてくる

------------------------------------
Official Gunslinger Girl of the Maria Mafia.
8373..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl

Is cuter than ?
Porcupine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #12
country flag Mafia_Sharapova

Mafia_Sharapova has a brilliant future Mafia_Sharapova has a brilliant future Mafia_Sharapova has a brilliant future Mafia_Sharapova has a brilliant future Mafia_Sharapova has a brilliant future Mafia_Sharapova has a brilliant future Mafia_Sharapova has a brilliant future Mafia_Sharapova has a brilliant future Mafia_Sharapova has a brilliant future Mafia_Sharapova has a brilliant future Mafia_Sharapova has a brilliant future
Go Maria !
She will overcome all serious difficulties

Mafia Angel of the Maria Mafia

Mafia_Sharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #13
country flag Prizeidiot

Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute
A dislocated rib sounds a heck of a lot worse than a pec injury.

It will be murder when she serves. I know it can't get any worse, but it won't get any better if she plays. Maybe she should withdraw.
Prizeidiot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 11:41 AM   #14
country flag tennisrox

tennisrox has a reputation beyond repute tennisrox has a reputation beyond repute tennisrox has a reputation beyond repute tennisrox has a reputation beyond repute tennisrox has a reputation beyond repute tennisrox has a reputation beyond repute tennisrox has a reputation beyond repute tennisrox has a reputation beyond repute tennisrox has a reputation beyond repute tennisrox has a reputation beyond repute tennisrox has a reputation beyond repute
Disolcated rib?I don't know what she's getting so excited about,because a dislocated rib is a Hell of a lot worse than a Pectoral injury.

Bloody hell,what were her physiotherapists doing all this time??

And how the hell are they allowing her to play with this injury?Its bloody crazy!

Roman Abramovich-tax cheat Jose Maurinho-Megalomaniac

Proud to be a Gunners fan. We're skint, but proud

tennisrox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #15
country flag Sharapova's_Boy

Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Ouch.

Sharapova's_Boy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote