Stubbs opens up about Dokic - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #1
country flag Philbo

Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute
Stubbs opens up about Dokic

http://www.smh.com.au/news/tennis/an...387627549.html

By Linda Pearce
January 7, 2006
Page 1 of 2
JELENA Dokic's return to Australia last month after a five-year estrangement was not greeted with unqualified joy. Certainly not by Rennae Stubbs, a former Fed Cup teammate who had been through more with her than most.

Stubbs says she supported Dokic to help counter her father's brutal ways, advising her to seek help to protect her money from Damir's grasping hands, and changing her schedule to partner the troubled teenager at the Canadian Open before the Sydney 2000 Olympics.

Stubbs, then the world No.1 in doubles, recalls arriving in Montreal only to be told by Damir - as a reluctant Jelena interpreted - that his daughter had been injured in her first-round singles loss and would be returning home to Florida.

"I confronted them at the hotel, because I was afraid for Jelena, and she was in tears, so I said to her dad, 'Why are you pulling her out of the doubles? Why are you leaving?'

"I said, 'I've come here to play doubles with you, Jelena, and you and I are going to play doubles tomorrow'. She was looking at me like she wanted to play and trying not to show him her face, and I understood fully that it was nothing to do with her, and I know that Jelena had to deal with something that very few of us have had to deal with, and that's an abusive father.

"She turned up the next day 10 minutes late for practice and I didn't think she was going to come, but she did come and I could see physical bruising on her, and I felt sorry for her like you can't believe.

"So I went through a lot of stuff with her. At the Olympics, I pleaded with her to stay at the village but her dad wouldn't let her. I said, 'Stay here, he can't get in here, he can't get to the courts', but she was afraid for her family as well. So I understand what she went through."

Hence Stubbs's anger when, she claims, Dokic refused to acknowledge being hit on the body by a ball that subsequently sailed out in a 2001 French Open doubles semi - an act she regards as so treacherously unsporting that she could barely control her own fury. Stubbs still seethes that Dokic has never shown any remorse.

"From that moment I really lost a huge amount of respect for her, and it was the following year that she did all the stuff [renouncing her citizenship, claiming a rigged draw] at the Australian Open, and I just thought, 'I still understand 100 per cent why she did it, and that she was not in a winning position with her father, and I understand that she's young'.

"But I do think that she really needs to be on her best behaviour. I support her coming back and trying to get her tennis career back on track, but all those people who put so much time and effort into her, she'd better not let them down again.

"If Jelena doesn't want anybody to think, 'you've just come back here for the money', then she'd better show it, and she'd better not go running off when things don't go so good. She has to grow up a lot and put her best foot forward, and I don't think that's going to be easy for her."

Meanwhile, Stubbs is very concerned about her great friend Alicia Molik and the prospect of her returning from the illness that has sidelined her indefinitely. Stubbs was on hand in 2004 for Molik's defeat of Maria Sharapova in the finals of a tournament in Zurich, a major milestone in the Australian's surge into the top 10, and back there again last year when Molik left the court in tears, unable to complete what might have been her final match on the WTA Tour.

In the locker room, it was Stubbs sobbing for what her friend had lost, and Molik saying she could cry no more. "My heart just breaks for her," Stubbs said. "It shouldn't happen to somebody who's such a good person and who's worked so, so hard, and I don't know if she's ever going to come back. It's definitely wait and see, but every now and then I think, 'God, I hope she can come back'.

"This is as big a loss to Australian tennis as what Monica Seles was to women's tennis in the '90s. It can't be filled because I don't think there are many women that are going to come along [who will] be that good. Alicia was destined to win a grand slam in the next couple of years."

But I do think that she really needs to be on her best behaviour. I support her coming back and trying to get her tennis career back on track, but all those people who put so much time and effort into her, she'd better not let them down again.
"If Jelena doesn't want anybody to think, 'you've just come back here for the money', then she'd better show it, and she'd better not go running off when things don't go so good. She has to grow up a lot and put her best foot forward, and I don't think that's going to be easy for her."

Meanwhile, Stubbs is very concerned about her great friend Alicia Molik and the prospect of her returning from the illness that has sidelined her indefinitely. Stubbs was on hand in 2004 for Molik's defeat of Maria Sharapova in the finals of a tournament in Zurich, a major milestone in the Australian's surge into the top 10, and back there again last year when Molik left the court in tears, unable to complete what might have been her final match on the WTA Tour.

In the locker room, it was Stubbs sobbing for what her friend had lost, and Molik saying she could cry no more. "My heart just breaks for her," Stubbs said. "It shouldn't happen to somebody who's such a good person and who's worked so, so hard, and I don't know if she's ever going to come back. It's definitely wait and see, but every now and then I think, 'God, I hope she can come back'.

"This is as big a loss to Australian tennis as what Monica Seles was to women's tennis in the '90s. It can't be filled because I don't think there are many women that are going to come along [who will] be that good. Alicia was destined to win a grand slam in the next couple of years."
Philbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #2
country flag jrm

jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute
God i hate reading long reports
Current crushes: Johannes STRATE Tom BATEMAN ric BRUNEAU
Simply the best: Ole Einar BJRNDALEN and JANNE AHONEN
jrm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 04:45 PM   #3
country flag vutt
Team WTAworld

vutt has disabled reputation
FO 2001 - now we know why she's so pissed

however I recall they played few doubles matches as a team back in 2003 on grass, so ...
vutt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #4
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb

Very nice article... Ps..you double posted the last part of the article.
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 05:27 PM   #5
country flag AK-DH Fan

AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future
Wow that's a sad article. I new Jelena's dad was crazy and emotionally abusive. But I didn't know he ever was physically abusive. God that's so fuckt up It's a shame that after all Stubbs did for her Jelena never appreciated it, but as the article says she was young and scared. It looks like Jelena is trying to make the right decissions now.

Good Luck in your comeback Jelena!!!!
Anna Chakvetadze
Tatiana Golovin
Maria Kirilenko
Ai Sugiyama

Other faves are-Hingis, Pierce, Myskina & Dementieva

|Ain't no party like a ...COCKTAIL PARTY!|D' Express_020|
AK-DH Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #6
pigam

pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute
nice article

Justine: feb. 5, 2007:

"I hung on to tennis. I have done so for the past 20 years. It is something that is in me, it is me."
pigam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #7
country flag WorldWar24

WorldWar24 has a brilliant future WorldWar24 has a brilliant future WorldWar24 has a brilliant future WorldWar24 has a brilliant future WorldWar24 has a brilliant future WorldWar24 has a brilliant future WorldWar24 has a brilliant future WorldWar24 has a brilliant future WorldWar24 has a brilliant future WorldWar24 has a brilliant future WorldWar24 has a brilliant future
Stubbs says she lost respect after that FO doubs semis and after that that she lsot respect for her when she left Aus in january 2001. Well that incident in the doubs match was AFTER she left Aus, it was in may 2001 so Stubbs is mixing things up, maybe she was already pissed at Jelena leaving Aus so she was already biased IMO. And if she got so pissed from then on why did she agree to play with Jelena again in doubles?? Stubbs...
I'd rather have done it with you

You don't have to hate your opponents to beat them - Kim Clijsters
WorldWar24 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 06:42 PM   #8
country flag Philip

Philip has a brilliant future Philip has a brilliant future Philip has a brilliant future Philip has a brilliant future Philip has a brilliant future Philip has a brilliant future Philip has a brilliant future Philip has a brilliant future Philip has a brilliant future Philip has a brilliant future Philip has a brilliant future
Rennea
Always in our hearts.... Arantxa Sanchez Vicario!.... 110 titles.... no1 in singles and doubles.... a true legend!
Philip is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #9
country flag Allez-H

Allez-H has a reputation beyond repute Allez-H has a reputation beyond repute Allez-H has a reputation beyond repute Allez-H has a reputation beyond repute Allez-H has a reputation beyond repute Allez-H has a reputation beyond repute Allez-H has a reputation beyond repute Allez-H has a reputation beyond repute Allez-H has a reputation beyond repute Allez-H has a reputation beyond repute Allez-H has a reputation beyond repute
Aaaw Rennea seems to be a sweety Nice article

Damir
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 10:25 PM   #10

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute
Nice
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 10:32 PM   #11
country flag pcrtennis

pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future
Stubbs is such a whinny bitch...she needs to shut the hell up...
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #12

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcrtennis
Stubbs is such a whinny bitch...she needs to shut the hell up...
Not half as whinny and bitchy as you are