Tennis Forum banner

Injured Hingis pulled out of doubles!

2K views 48 replies 37 participants last post by  tennisrox 
#1 ·
Oh no:sad: The injury is still unknown (source: Yahoo)

OMG NO:bigcry:

#3 ·
NOOOOO!!!! I was gonna watch her in SYDNEY

#5 ·
Maybe a bruised ego????

Seriously, Swiss Miss will be around for a while. Just because Hingis might be injured doesn't mean she's retiring again.

A link to the article would be nice.

#7 ·
Injured Hingis loses in semifinals of first tournament back after three-year layoff

Injured Hingis loses in semifinals of first tournament back after three-year layoffJanuary 6, 2006

GOLD COAST, Australia (AP) -- Martina Hingis' perfect record in her comeback tournament ended Friday with a 1-6, 7-6 (2) 6-2 loss to fourth-seeed Flavia Pennetta of Italy in the semifinals of the Australian women's hardcourt championships.

Hingis had her three-match winning streak in her return from retirement following three years away due to foot, ankle and heal injuries end. Afterward, she announced she would pull out of her scheduled semifinal doubles match later Friday with partner Tatiana Golovin of Russia due to an undisclosed injury. In the other singles semifinal Friday, Lucie Safarova of the Czech Republic beat third-seeded Dinara Safina of Russia 6-4, 6-2 to advance to Saturday's final against Pennetta. Safarova beat top-seeded Patty Schnyder of Switzerland in the quarterfinals Thursday and sixth-seeded Ai Sugiyama of Japan in the first round. Hingis is still scheduled to play in next week's Sydney International on a wild card and the Australian Open at Melbourne, a tournament she has won three times.

#8 ·
maybe she is just tired
or heat cos its really hot and humid up here today

#11 ·
Billabong said:
Injured Hingis loses in semifinals of first tournament back after three-year layoff

Injured Hingis loses in semifinals of first tournament back after three-year layoffJanuary 6, 2006

GOLD COAST, Australia (AP) -- Martina Hingis' perfect record in her comeback tournament ended Friday with a 1-6, 7-6 (2) 6-2 loss to fourth-seeed Flavia Pennetta of Italy in the semifinals of the Australian women's hardcourt championships.

Hingis had her three-match winning streak in her return from retirement following three years away due to foot, ankle and heal injuries end. Afterward, she announced she would pull out of her scheduled semifinal doubles match later Friday with partner Tatiana Golovin of Russia due to an undisclosed injury. In the other singles semifinal Friday, Lucie Safarova of the Czech Republic beat third-seeded Dinara Safina of Russia 6-4, 6-2 to advance to Saturday's final against Pennetta. Safarova beat top-seeded Patty Schnyder of Switzerland in the quarterfinals Thursday and sixth-seeded Ai Sugiyama of Japan in the first round. Hingis is still scheduled to play in next week's Sydney International on a wild card and the Australian Open at Melbourne, a tournament she has won three times.
Thanks!

#17 ·
Alicia Rocks said:
maybe she is just tired
or heat cos its really hot and humid up here today
I hope so...

Withdraw from doubles at this moment is smart decision, even if she is not injury.

#18 ·
Langers said:
Relax everyone, it would just be because of the heat and she needs to rest. I don't know why she tried to do so much so soon, she should have played either the singles or doubles, not both. But I can't stress anymore that it wouldn't be anything serious.

i agree, but to be honest, i think hingis herself didnt know how far she'd go in each tournament. i dont know if she expected a semisfinals in both singles and doubles so lets look at this as a positive
:cool:

martina even surprised herself :worship:

#19 ·
MarJenAll20 said:
Maybe a bruised ego????

:lol:

By Joe you've got it!

I'm sure this is it. Tired from the 3 setter, and needed to get out of the hot Aussie summer conditions. She'll be in Sydney.

#20 ·
Yikes, she played 1 tournament and now she's injured? I hope to goodness that it's nothing serious or have anything to do with her knees or ankles. Right now, I'm guessing that it's soreness from playing so much and probably heat exhaustion. She probably played more than she expected and now will go to Sydney to get some rest.

#22 ·
Greenout said:
:lol:

By Joe you've got it!

I'm sure this is it. Tired from the 3 setter, and needed to get out of the hot Aussie summer conditions. She'll be in Sydney.
Yeah, that had me rollin' too :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.