Should Marti play doubles only for a while? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 6th, 2002, 01:27 AM   #1
longtimefan

Should Marti play doubles only for a while?

Another singles loss to a "power" player. Another partner, another doubles championship for Martina. Though you'd never know it from her manner Marti must be perplexed wondering when and how that next singles win will come. Her confidence must take a pounding each time she reaches the semis or final only to lose. On any given day any of the top players can beat each other but Martina has a problem beating several top players in succession. So.................... how about a confidence re-build by concentrating on doubles with just a few singles tourneys including the majors. The habit of being a winner in doubles might provide the impetus for singles success. What do you think?
Martina Hingis - still my number one on and off court no matter what!
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2002, 01:30 AM   #2
CB
Team WTAworld
Moderator - Chicas Latinas

CB is a name known to all CB is a name known to all CB is a name known to all CB is a name known to all CB is a name known to all CB is a name known to all CB is a name known to all CB is a name known to all CB is a name known to all CB is a name known to all CB is a name known to all
ROTFLMAO!! Pff are you nuts?!

Doubles is a completely different kind of game. Diff strategy, and power never wins doubles.

Martina must keep playing singles. She always reaches semis+ so after all, she's being somehow consistent.
Old May 6th, 2002, 01:56 AM   #3
martinafan

martinafan has a reputation beyond repute martinafan has a reputation beyond repute martinafan has a reputation beyond repute martinafan has a reputation beyond repute martinafan has a reputation beyond repute martinafan has a reputation beyond repute martinafan has a reputation beyond repute martinafan has a reputation beyond repute martinafan has a reputation beyond repute martinafan has a reputation beyond repute martinafan has a reputation beyond repute
While i don't agree with martina stopping singles for a while i do think doubles helps her game a lot.

What i DO want to see martina do is:

Play less tournaments on the tour (like say 17 a year as opposed to 20), BUT play doubles at most of them! I think she plays her best singles when she also plays doubles....i think it keeps her net skills sharp and she's more likely to come to the net in singles then.

Even if it's not with anna, i still think martina should just find a temporary partner for an event (like with babsi this week)..

Plus, even if she still loses in singles for a while, she'll undoubtedly win some doubles title, so that's still good match practice and it must be somewhat good for her confidence atleast!!!!
martinafan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote