I saw the Hingis/Williams match on TV and... - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 4th, 2002, 03:18 PM   #1
LifeWasADisaster

LifeWasADisaster is an unknown quantity at this point
I saw the Hingis/Williams match on TV and...

...I was stunned by the way Venus played. Hingis played pretty well but it was Venus who was impeccable.
I think Hingis understood that she wouldn't win this by keeping the ball in play - she was pretty aggressive, hitting the ball early and close to the lines, but she made too many errors as a consequence. Venus on the other hand was I think in her best form, despite her ankle, which was still taped. She seemed to have no problems with it whatsoever and was hitting winners from all over the court. At times Hingis was dominating the rally but Venus would hit a winner when she could barely reach the ball...must have been frustrating for Hingis but Venus was just way better.
As for the statistics, they didn't show the stats after the match was finished but they did show it after the first set and this was
the winners/unforced errors stat:

Venus winners: 22 ; UE's: 12
Hingis: winners: 11 UE's: 15 (first set only)

So in that set, Venus actually hit fewer errors than hingis! This was a totally different Venus than the one that barely beat Sanchez yesterday, which was also noticed by the commentator.

After all it was a high quality match and good to watch but as a Hingis fan I just wonder how Venus manages to recover so quickly after she could barely run yesterday.
LifeWasADisaster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2002, 03:21 PM   #2
country flag per4ever
Team WTAworld

per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of
Venus played terrific, but Martina has to work on that serve..it's the weakest serve in the top 20. Her first serves are sooo slow..
per4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2002, 03:27 PM   #3
TSequoia01

TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future
Venus was just being..well Venus. Good to hear that Marti is mixing in some aggression to her passive game. If she gets her serve in order will remain in the top 5.

SERENA PRINCESS OF POWER
Victoria Duval - coming to a slam near you
AJLA TOMLJANOVIC definitely a future #1

Serena and Venus grannies with a purpose
Kimiko Date Krumm great granny still doing her thing.
TSequoia01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2002, 03:31 PM   #4
country flag Williams Rulez
Team WTAworld

Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

It is great that Venus had played a good match, good news indeed. This shows that Venus can play well on clay.

Good to see Martina going for more during the match as well, playing aggressive, sure it failed, but with practice, I'm sure she'll succeed.

Mary : Monica : Svetlana : Sania : Jennifer : Amelie
Roddick : Grosjean : David : Djokovic
Williams Rulez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2002, 03:41 PM   #5
vishniac
Team WTAworld

vishniac is an unknown quantity at this point vishniac is an unknown quantity at this point
I saw it too.
A few more comments:
--The score could have been harsher if Venus wouldn't have made a lot of double faults. She admitted in the interview later that she had to 'fight with her serve today'.

--It was stunning to see her performing so many touchy drop-shots, from the baseline or the net. Almost always made the point.
Against someone standing further behind the baseline than Hingis, it will be even more devastating.

--From what I understood (they translated in German...argh!), she told that she slightly turned her ankle during her first match, but there was little pain until yesterday during the match. She put a lot of ice during the evening, the night, the morning, and now she's ok.

Last edited by vishniac : May 4th, 2002 at 05:00 PM.
vishniac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2002, 03:51 PM   #6
country flag "Topaz"

"Topaz" has a reputation beyond repute "Topaz" has a reputation beyond repute "Topaz" has a reputation beyond repute "Topaz" has a reputation beyond repute "Topaz" has a reputation beyond repute "Topaz" has a reputation beyond repute "Topaz" has a reputation beyond repute "Topaz" has a reputation beyond repute "Topaz" has a reputation beyond repute "Topaz" has a reputation beyond repute "Topaz" has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't get to see the match. Many thanks, LifeWasADisaster, for the report.

"Playing aggressive tennis ... that's always the way to go, if you ask me." - Venus Williams, May/2002
"Some shots I will hit hard but not every ball. I'm not just using my power." - Serena Williams, Oct/2002
"Topaz" is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2002, 03:54 PM   #7
country flag Williams Rulez
Team WTAworld

Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Good to see Venus using more dropshots, a really important shot on clay...

Mary : Monica : Svetlana : Sania : Jennifer : Amelie
Roddick : Grosjean : David : Djokovic
Williams Rulez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2002, 04:07 PM   #8
country flag veronica
Team WTAworld

veronica is a name known to all veronica is a name known to all veronica is a name known to all veronica is a name known to all veronica is a name known to all veronica is a name known to all veronica is a name known to all veronica is a name known to all veronica is a name known to all veronica is a name known to all veronica is a name known to all
Way to Go Venus!!!

Congrats on your win. Glad to hear you played so well. Thanks for the reports.

I miss Sandrine, Monica, Iva & Joanette

I miss Pinky and the Brain. I want Anna K back so she and Hingis can get in more cat fights like the old days.
veronica is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2002, 04:48 PM   #9
persond

persond is an unknown quantity at this point persond is an unknown quantity at this point persond is an unknown quantity at this point persond is an unknown quantity at this point persond is an unknown quantity at this point persond is an unknown quantity at this point persond is an unknown quantity at this point persond is an unknown quantity at this point persond is an unknown quantity at this point persond is an unknown quantity at this point persond is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Thanx...

Hi LifeWasADisaster and Vishniac,

Thanks for the update/report on the Hingis/Williams match. Glad to hear Venus is playing so well and will at least be a contender (legitimate contender) at Roland Garros.

Gooooooooooooooo VeeeeeNUS
persond is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2002, 04:56 PM   #10
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks. The result makes a bit more sense now.
Volcana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2002, 05:05 PM   #11
Deira

Deira is just really nice Deira is just really nice Deira is just really nice Deira is just really nice Deira is just really nice Deira is just really nice Deira is just really nice Deira is just really nice Deira is just really nice Deira is just really nice Deira is just really nice
Thanks for the reports and glad to know Vee's injury did not flare up
Deira is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2002, 05:08 PM   #12
country flag Infiniti2001
Veelieve!!!

Infiniti2001 has disabled reputation
Many, many , thanks for your report. Did you tape it by any chance??
Infiniti2001 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2002, 05:18 PM   #13
ot1962

ot1962 is an unknown quantity at this point
LifeWasADisaster,

Thanks for the report. Great to have an insight on the match.

But please tell me something....

Was Venus really COMFORTABLE on the red clay. I don't mean with her injury.

I mean really really C-O-M-F-O-R-T-A-B-L-E on clay????? Again thanks. I wish i could grab a copy of this match.
ot1962 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2002, 06:08 PM   #14
Pureracket

Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute
Lifewasadisaster,
Thanks.

OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2002, 09:20 PM   #15
LifeWasADisaster

LifeWasADisaster is an unknown quantity at this point
As for Venus being comfortable on clay, yes I think she was. She didn't seem to have problems with the surface at all. Venus has beaten justine, hingis and a few other good clay players so I guess you could say she is comfortable on clay. I hate to say this as a Hingis fan but I think when Venus is at her best, she is better than Hingis - even on clay.

I did tape this match....I am willing to make copies if you have something nice to trade it for.
LifeWasADisaster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote