Plans to build a retractable roof over wimbledon's centre court! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 4th, 2005, 07:57 AM   #1
country flag 47eggs

47eggs is a splendid one to behold 47eggs is a splendid one to behold 47eggs is a splendid one to behold 47eggs is a splendid one to behold 47eggs is a splendid one to behold 47eggs is a splendid one to behold 47eggs is a splendid one to behold 47eggs is a splendid one to behold 47eggs is a splendid one to behold 47eggs is a splendid one to behold 47eggs is a splendid one to behold
Plans to build a retractable roof over wimbledon's centre court!

Wimbledon to build roof

Wimbledon's plans in pictures
The All England Club has confirmed it intends to build a retractable roof over Centre Court.
The plan is part of a multi-million pound redevelopment which will also see the capacity of Wimbledon's main show court increased to 15,000.

Ofificials hope to get planning permission in time to have the roof in place for the 2009 Championships.

AEC Chairman Tim Phillips said: "Centre Court is the jewel in our crown and we want to make it even more precious."

He added: "Our continuing aim is for Wimbledon to be acknowledged as the world's premier tennis event.

"Our innovative plans seek to retain the history and tradition of Centre Court, but with outstanding new facilities for the players, spectators and television audiences of the 21st Century."

Rain has completely washed out play on five days since 1991.

And the sight of players retreating to the locker rooms while the famous green covers are hauled into place is one of the enduring images of the tournament.

But the idea of a roof had always been rejected because of the particular problems posed at Wimbledon by the possibility of humidity affecting the grass surface.

Only after getting assurances it would not threaten the condition of the court, did organisers of the 126-year-old tournament decided to follow the lead of the Australian Open.

The Melbourne Park event, which gets underway on 19 January, is the only Grand Slam which already uses a retractable roof.

Wimbledon officials also inspected the facilities at another grasscourt venue, Halle in Germany, where the PVC fabric covering takes just 90 seconds to deploy.

The new Centre Court roof will open in less than 10 minutes and will be see-through to allow natural light to reach the grass.

British number one Tim Henman has already given his cautious backing after initially opposing the idea.

Subject to planning permission, the provisional time scale is for the work to start in 2006, once the museum and offices have relocated to the new building at Gate Three in late 2005/early 2006.

Completion of the Centre Court is scheduled for 2009.

The plans will be on general display at Merton Council's offices in South West London until 27 February 2004

See the pictures and plans for the new roof

What do you think?

Is this a good idea?
47eggs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 4th, 2005, 08:00 AM   #2
country flag TF Chipmunk
Team WTAworld

TF Chipmunk has a reputation beyond repute TF Chipmunk has a reputation beyond repute TF Chipmunk has a reputation beyond repute TF Chipmunk has a reputation beyond repute TF Chipmunk has a reputation beyond repute TF Chipmunk has a reputation beyond repute TF Chipmunk has a reputation beyond repute TF Chipmunk has a reputation beyond repute TF Chipmunk has a reputation beyond repute TF Chipmunk has a reputation beyond repute TF Chipmunk has a reputation beyond repute
That looks beautiful!

ANASTASIA MYSKINA
Riding the 3AM Rollercoaster

NADIA PETROVA
ANNA-LENA GROENEFELD
TF Chipmunk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 08:58 AM   #3
country flag P.L.B.

P.L.B. has much to be proud of P.L.B. has much to be proud of P.L.B. has much to be proud of P.L.B. has much to be proud of P.L.B. has much to be proud of P.L.B. has much to be proud of P.L.B. has much to be proud of P.L.B. has much to be proud of P.L.B. has much to be proud of P.L.B. has much to be proud of P.L.B. has much to be proud of
This was announced years ago
P.L.B. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 09:01 AM   #4
country flag 47eggs

47eggs is a splendid one to behold 47eggs is a splendid one to behold 47eggs is a splendid one to behold 47eggs is a splendid one to behold 47eggs is a splendid one to behold 47eggs is a splendid one to behold 47eggs is a splendid one to behold 47eggs is a splendid one to behold 47eggs is a splendid one to behold 47eggs is a splendid one to behold 47eggs is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.L.B.
This was announced years ago
I know that, but i just wanted to know what people think. You don't have to spend your life searching tennis news to find something that hasn't been posted before. Anyway, there are pictures that haven't been seen often.

So there
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 09:15 AM   #5
country flag SloKid
The long and winding road.

SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Centre Court is the best-known tennis venue in the world and many traditionalists don't like the idea of it being roofed
Me either, what was/is so cool about Wimby is its traditionalism...

Camerin-Hlavačkova-Görges-Hradecka-Voracova
SloKid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 09:23 AM   #6
country flag matthias
Gaspa's Hubby

matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute
could be a bit more spectaculare - but it looks okay
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:04 AM   #7
country flag @m@nd@

@m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute
it's not a bad idea, play wont be suspended cuz of rain
@m@nd@ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:27 AM   #8
country flag creep

creep has a reputation beyond repute creep has a reputation beyond repute creep has a reputation beyond repute creep has a reputation beyond repute creep has a reputation beyond repute creep has a reputation beyond repute creep has a reputation beyond repute creep has a reputation beyond repute creep has a reputation beyond repute creep has a reputation beyond repute creep has a reputation beyond repute
I dont see the point.
creep is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #9
country flag 47eggs

Do you think that it will ruin the traditional play suspension of the rain?
I'm not sure, but then i did go to Wimbledon on the middle saturday in 2004 and it rained all day and just when we thught there was going to be some play, it rained again. No play at all. I'd rather see tennis than not, just because of the rain is a tradition to wimbly.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 02:57 PM   #10
country flag !<blocparty>!
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.

!<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by creep
I dont see the point.
I do.

I havent seen the picture before, it looks very impressive. I hope they'll allocate those extra seats to campers.

Doubt it though.
!<blocparty>! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 02:59 PM   #11
country flag !<blocparty>!
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.

!<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47eggs
Do you think that it will ruin the traditional play suspension of the rain?
I'm not sure, but then i did go to Wimbledon on the middle saturday in 2004 and it rained all day and just when we thught there was going to be some play, it rained again. No play at all. I'd rather see tennis than not, just because of the rain is a tradition to wimbly.
For those who enjoy rain washing out/stopping play ... it will still happen on the other 18 courts.
!<blocparty>! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 03:08 PM   #12
country flag Szymanowski

Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute
I would prefer it never to rain and centre court to stay exactly the same in an ideal world.

In our rainy world though, I guess this is a good step forward
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 05:17 PM   #13
country flag Spunky83

Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute Spunky83 has a reputation beyond repute
London will host the Olympics in 2012 and it´s time for them to get a roof although it definetly would lose some of its charme

30 minutes delay closing the roof? Just for closing the roof? The Gerry Weber stadium, venue of the Gerry Weber Open in Halle, Germany (grass) with a capacity of 13000 seats only takes 90 seconds to close it...and it looks really cool. However, it´s probably cause when they build the Wimby stadium they never thought about putting up a roof decades later. Will be interesting!

Visit: Anastasia-Myskina.com
Inside-Tennis.net
Justine - Nastya - Ana

M-A2R0T0I6N-A
Spunky83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 05:28 PM   #14
country flag No Name Face

No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute
considering it always rains in england, this is a very smart decision
No Name Face is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 05:37 PM   #15
country flag 47eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky83
London will host the Olympics in 2012 and it´s time for them to get a roof although it definetly would lose some of its charme

30 minutes delay closing the roof? Just for closing the roof? The Gerry Weber stadium, venue of the Gerry Weber Open in Halle, Germany (grass) with a capacity of 13000 seats only takes 90 seconds to close it...and it looks really cool. However, it´s probably cause when they build the Wimby stadium they never thought about putting up a roof decades later. Will be interesting!
It only takes 10 actaully! But it usually takes longer without a roof and once it's on, they can play through the rain so there!