Venus and Hingis - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 1st, 2005, 08:31 PM   #1
country flag VeeReeDavJCap81

VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute
Venus and Hingis

Who thinks we'll see another thriller (ie US Open 1999, 2000 or Wimbledon 2000 QF)???? I think we definitely deserve more
Advertisement

Old Dec 1st, 2005, 08:34 PM   #2
country flag -VSR-

-VSR- has a reputation beyond repute -VSR- has a reputation beyond repute -VSR- has a reputation beyond repute -VSR- has a reputation beyond repute -VSR- has a reputation beyond repute -VSR- has a reputation beyond repute -VSR- has a reputation beyond repute -VSR- has a reputation beyond repute -VSR- has a reputation beyond repute -VSR- has a reputation beyond repute -VSR- has a reputation beyond repute
We can only hope...
-VSR- is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 09:00 PM   #3
country flag spencercarlos
Sabatini lover Forever

spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeReeDavJCap81
Who thinks we'll see another thriller (ie US Open 1999, 2000 or Wimbledon 2000 QF)???? I think we definitely deserve more
If Hingis can get to the level that she had in the end of 2000 and start of 2001, i think its pretty posible that Hingis could challenge all top players.
Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 9
Straight Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 6
Seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 5
Straight seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 4
Tier II and above titles
Sabatini 24 Martinez 17
Record at the Masters
Sabatini has 2 titles 2 Runner up and 3 SF
Martinez has 0 titles, 0 RU, and 0 Sf
Record against the best players
Sabatini 40% Martinez 21%
Head to Head
Sabatini leads 9-6 over Martinez
FWTT Hard 111(111 + ny)Carpet 104(104 + ny)Clay 107(107 + 4) Grass 100(100 ny)
spencercarlos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 01:01 AM   #4
country flag Paneru

Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute
IMO, Hingis will have to be like Justine
in order to challenge and compete with
the top ladies.

If that happens, sure!

BTW, here's a comment from Venus
on Martina's return published today.

Quote:
"I always thought it was sad she retired in the first place,'' Venus Williams said of Hingis. "I just think if she can come back, it would be very good for tennis and obviously very good for her.''
Paneru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 01:03 AM   #5
country flag dinhd82

dinhd82 has a brilliant future dinhd82 has a brilliant future dinhd82 has a brilliant future dinhd82 has a brilliant future dinhd82 has a brilliant future dinhd82 has a brilliant future dinhd82 has a brilliant future dinhd82 has a brilliant future dinhd82 has a brilliant future dinhd82 has a brilliant future dinhd82 has a brilliant future
I think if Hingis can challenge anyone it would be Venus because their games bring out the best in each other.

Now and forever, I'll remember.
dinhd82 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 01:21 AM   #6
country flag FaceyFacem

FaceyFacem has a brilliant future FaceyFacem has a brilliant future FaceyFacem has a brilliant future FaceyFacem has a brilliant future FaceyFacem has a brilliant future FaceyFacem has a brilliant future FaceyFacem has a brilliant future FaceyFacem has a brilliant future FaceyFacem has a brilliant future FaceyFacem has a brilliant future FaceyFacem has a brilliant future
venus and hingis matches have been some of my favorites in history, we can only hope we'll see more (esp. if they are more like USO 99 than USO 00!!)
NEVER say "I don't care who wins, I just want good tennis"
FaceyFacem is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 01:45 AM   #7
country flag Mother_Marjorie
SWOOP!

Mother_Marjorie has a reputation beyond repute Mother_Marjorie has a reputation beyond repute Mother_Marjorie has a reputation beyond repute Mother_Marjorie has a reputation beyond repute Mother_Marjorie has a reputation beyond repute Mother_Marjorie has a reputation beyond repute Mother_Marjorie has a reputation beyond repute Mother_Marjorie has a reputation beyond repute Mother_Marjorie has a reputation beyond repute Mother_Marjorie has a reputation beyond repute Mother_Marjorie has a reputation beyond repute
I'll have to be the politically incorrect one here. Venus will stomp Hingis should they meet in the next two years, regardless of Hingis' comeback ability.

I think Hingis' comeback will have a greater impact on motivating Venus and Serena than it will on the WTA as a whole.

Just my opinion.
Mother_Marjorie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 01:53 AM   #8
country flag venus_rulez
Keepin That Tutty Fresh!

venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute
Off topic but it really annoys me that she is coming back. Not because I think she's a threat to any player I like, because she wasn't really to them the last couple of years she was on tour, but because her comeback will end up labeled as one extreme or another. If she is as successful as she was in her prime, then people will forget all about how she said her feet were ruined and she would never be able to play again, and talk about how great she is. If she isn't successful people will say it's because of the injury. Hingis' biggest asset and her eventual downfall was her ego. Her ego and belief in herself got her to number one but after 1999 that same ego stopped her from winning slams. She was too proud to admit that the game she played was no longer going to work ; she did absolutely nothing about her serve. Maybe her thinking has changed, but if it hasn't she won't get anywhere close to the top 10.

I GOT 5 ON IT!!!!! VENUS WILLIAMS 5 TIME WIMBLEDON CHAMPION!!!!!
venus_rulez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 02:21 AM   #9
country flag F-R-E-A-K

F-R-E-A-K has a reputation beyond repute F-R-E-A-K has a reputation beyond repute F-R-E-A-K has a reputation beyond repute F-R-E-A-K has a reputation beyond repute F-R-E-A-K has a reputation beyond repute F-R-E-A-K has a reputation beyond repute F-R-E-A-K has a reputation beyond repute F-R-E-A-K has a reputation beyond repute F-R-E-A-K has a reputation beyond repute F-R-E-A-K has a reputation beyond repute F-R-E-A-K has a reputation beyond repute
That would be great! I still remember both U.S Open SF's

I hope Martina does have a successful comeback and raise's her game to the TOP 10 level, so we can see some more great matches again.
F-R-E-A-K is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 02:49 AM   #10
country flag jfk

jfk is a splendid one to behold jfk is a splendid one to behold jfk is a splendid one to behold jfk is a splendid one to behold jfk is a splendid one to behold jfk is a splendid one to behold jfk is a splendid one to behold jfk is a splendid one to behold jfk is a splendid one to behold jfk is a splendid one to behold jfk is a splendid one to behold
Possibly the best thing about Hingis' return is that she has these great rivalries. With Venus, Serena, Capriati, and Davenport. And now we can see her match up against the newer generation, the Belgians and the Russians. Great stuff.
jfk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 04:03 AM   #11
Sabatini lover Forever

spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus_rulez
Off topic but it really annoys me that she is coming back. Not because I think she's a threat to any player I like, because she wasn't really to them the last couple of years she was on tour, but because her comeback will end up labeled as one extreme or another. If she is as successful as she was in her prime, then people will forget all about how she said her feet were ruined and she would never be able to play again, and talk about how great she is. If she isn't successful people will say it's because of the injury. Hingis' biggest asset and her eventual downfall was her ego. Her ego and belief in herself got her to number one but after 1999 that same ego stopped her from winning slams. She was too proud to admit that the game she played was no longer going to work ; she did absolutely nothing about her serve. Maybe her thinking has changed, but if it hasn't she won't get anywhere close to the top 10.
You are taking really cheap shots at Martina, first if you saw her at the Usopen 2002, you would really know that she WAS really AFFECTED by the foot problem, and tell me why she would admit that her game was not sucessful, if she was number one for most of 2001 and in her last couple of years on the tour she reached 2 grand slam finals, and 2 other GS semifinals, beat Venus, Lindsay, Serena.
Did Venus admit something like that between 2003/2004 where she reached 2 GS finals and 1 QF as her best results in that time frame? And look how her year turned around after Wimbledon this year.
Martina will have her chances of course if she comes up with a good fitness condition, that is essential to Hingis's game, her counterpounching abilities. And as i said on a earlier post, if she comes back and can reach the level that she had between 2000/early 2001 or even early 2002 watch out on her, especially on slower surfaces. Anyway it remains up to her and what she can bring on the table.
Honestly i do believe that Martina at her best, is better than at least 5 of the top ten players that are playing today.
Tier II and above titles
Sabatini 24 Martinez 17
Record at the Masters
Head to Head
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 05:22 AM   #12
country flag Infiniti2001
Veelieve!!!

Infiniti2001 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencercarlos
You are taking really cheap shots at Martina, .
You mean like you do to Venus ?? Meanwhile ifs are pointless
Infiniti2001 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 05:40 AM   #13
country flag venus_rulez
Keepin That Tutty Fresh!

venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencercarlos
You are taking really cheap shots at Martina, first if you saw her at the Usopen 2002, you would really know that she WAS really AFFECTED by the foot problem, and tell me why she would admit that her game was not sucessful, if she was number one for most of 2001 and in her last couple of years on the tour she reached 2 grand slam finals, and 2 other GS semifinals, beat Venus, Lindsay, Serena.
Did Venus admit something like that between 2003/2004 where she reached 2 GS finals and 1 QF as her best results in that time frame? And look how her year turned around after Wimbledon this year.
Martina will have her chances of course if she comes up with a good fitness condition, that is essential to Hingis's game, her counterpounching abilities. And as i said on a earlier post, if she comes back and can reach the level that she had between 2000/early 2001 or even early 2002 watch out on her, especially on slower surfaces. Anyway it remains up to her and what she can bring on the table.
Honestly i do believe that Martina at her best, is better than at least 5 of the top ten players that are playing today.

Venus's problem was consistency with her game that is very different from what Martina's problem was which was that she didn't have the game to play the power players. And again saying someone at their best is better than player x is such a relative statement. Lots of people at their best are better than lots of people at their best. For all we know, Alexandra Stevenson may be the best player to ever have touched a racquet when playing at her best, but does that matter if she plays her best at only one tournament every two years? And please have you forgotten what 2001 was like? NO REASONABLE person though Hingis was anywhere near the best player in the world, really at any time since mid 1999. Not even Hingis thought she was deserving of the number one ranking. I remember reading an article where she stated that she felt Jennifer Capriati was the best player in the world. It's obvious I don't like Hingis, but I think she has an amazingly creative game and can hit any shot in the book, but that means nothing if people can just blow the ball by you.

I GOT 5 ON IT!!!!! VENUS WILLIAMS 5 TIME WIMBLEDON CHAMPION!!!!!
venus_rulez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 07:07 AM   #14
country flag Hingie

Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus_rulez
Venus's problem was consistency with her game that is very different from what Martina's problem was which was that she didn't have the game to play the power players. And again saying someone at their best is better than player x is such a relative statement. Lots of people at their best are better than lots of people at their best. For all we know, Alexandra Stevenson may be the best player to ever have touched a racquet when playing at her best, but does that matter if she plays her best at only one tournament every two years? And please have you forgotten what 2001 was like? NO REASONABLE person though Hingis was anywhere near the best player in the world, really at any time since mid 1999. Not even Hingis thought she was deserving of the number one ranking. I remember reading an article where she stated that she felt Jennifer Capriati was the best player in the world. It's obvious I don't like Hingis, but I think she has an amazingly creative game and can hit any shot in the book, but that means nothing if people can just blow the ball by you.
You have a point, she can't do anything when people are blasting balls past you. What you need to understand is that Hingis fans deeply respect her because she doesn't have this game and can still compete. Yes she did come up against red hot players and did lose but power players come up against each other all the time and they all react to their opponents games differently. Hingis can frustrate power hitters, she does counterpunch but there was mostly intent behind these shots also and she let her opponents contribute to their defeats.

With regards to your argument about her ranking. No one other than Martina through her 'glory time' deserved it more than her - NO one showed more consistency - a snippet below from the WTA site - incredible!

Throughout her tennis career, Hingis was a model of consistency. She won at least one singles and doubles title and earned at least one million dollars in prize money each year for seven straight years. In addition, Hingis reached the semi-finals or better in 104 of the 118 events she played between the 1996 US Open and 2002 Indian Wells.
Hingie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 07:37 AM   #15
Sabatini lover Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti2001
You mean like you do to Venus ?? Meanwhile ifs are pointless
That is because i don't like some of her comments after losing matches like..
"Had i played 10 percent better and i would have won"
"If I would have played decent, I would have won."
"I gow thrown off by her bad play, that was a probably a good tactic from her"
Instead of admiting that her she needed to work on her game (when played Lindsay last year or Molik at the Australian) or her fitness when she ran out of gas at the Usopen vs Kim.
That is the problem Infinity that when Venus comes up with comments like this she is "confident" but when other players say something like that they are "arrogant".
Tier II and above titles
Sabatini 24 Martinez 17
Record at the Masters
Head to Head