Jelena Dokic is an AUSTRALIAN again! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 29th, 2005, 05:22 PM   #1
country flag MilanDokic

MilanDokic is a splendid one to behold MilanDokic is a splendid one to behold MilanDokic is a splendid one to behold MilanDokic is a splendid one to behold MilanDokic is a splendid one to behold MilanDokic is a splendid one to behold MilanDokic is a splendid one to behold MilanDokic is a splendid one to behold MilanDokic is a splendid one to behold MilanDokic is a splendid one to behold MilanDokic is a splendid one to behold
Jelena Dokic is an AUSTRALIAN again!

Jelena is an AUSTRALIAN again!
By LEO SCHLINK - The Daily Telegraph (30.11.2005.)

Dokic takes control of future

JELENA Dokic's tennis exile is over. Dokic, 22, will return to Australia on Saturday, intent on rebuilding a shattered career, free from her dominating father Damir.

The former world No.4, now languishing at 349th, wants to contest the Australian Open in January as an Australian.

Dokic will leave Zagreb on Friday to forge a fresh start to a broken career - and life - after turning her back on Australia four years ago.

Despite playing Fed Cup last year for Serbia and Montenegro, Belgrade-born Dokic insists her loyalties are with her adopted country.

Under International Tennis Federation regulations, Australian citizen Dokic is free to play under the Australian flag at grand slams and other tournaments. "I am an Australian, I feel like an Australian and I want to play for Australia again," she said yesterday.

"Australia is such a great country, the people are amazing. I had tremendous support from a lot of people, I loved playing Fed Cup, it was a great experience for me, I got along with everyone.

"I never got rid of my Australian nationality, I'm ready to be Australian again - there would be no point going back if I didn't feel Australian.

"I made a really good connection with so many people when I was at Tennis Australia and I'd like to have that feeling again.

"I'll try my best, this is not an easy step to take for either side and I don't know what to expect. I would like to return to the top 10 or 20 but that takes time and I'm fine with that.

"Maybe I'm not at such a disadvantage because I feel very eager again on the court."

Dokic is no longer on speaking terms with her volcanic father and former coach Damir and maintains only irregular contact with her mother Liliana.

Damir Dokic is one of the most reviled figures in international tennis because of a series of ugly, drunken confrontations. He ordered his daughter to abandon Australia in 2001 after repeatedly accusing Australian Open officials of rigging the draw and the family relocated to Serbia.

Dokic, who has been living in Croatia with her boyfriend, blames her father for many of the problems that have blighted her career.

"What happened before I had no control over, the decisions weren't made by me," Dokic admitted.

"This is a decision [to return to Australia] I am making.

"I wanted to go back before but I was a little afraid of what reception I'd receive.

"Everyone will have their opinion and I cannot know how much will be positive or negative, but I owe a lot to so many people in Australia.

"It is where I belong."

Dokic and her family fled war-ravaged Yugoslavia in 1994 to settle in Sydney.

The nimble baseliner was quickly spotted as a future star and guided through the Australian system by coaches Craig Miller, Lesley Bowrey and Tony Roche.

Glories soon flowed with an appearance at the Wimbledon semi-finals, WTA titles and the seemingly inevitable rise to grand slam honours.

But Damir Dokic's inexcusable antics - behaviour that led to a six-month ban from tournaments after his fight over the price of a plate of fish at the US Open - formed a suffocating millstone.

As rumours of physical and mental abuse shadowed Dokic's performances, the former prodigy finally succumbed.

"I was upset with what happened before," Dokic said.

"I had problems off court which I think I dealt with pretty well.

"There just comes a point when you have had enough. If you train for 10 hours a day and you aren't happy, you cannot perform.

"My father and I have completely different ideas, we aren't on the same wavelength. I am not able to live with him or to work with him.

"When you are in that situation, you can survive for a certain period of time but then it has to end.

"It is like that with a coach, but it is so much tougher when it is family. You cannot change that."

Dokic again wallowed this season, dropping to the secondary Challenger circuit. But she has vowed to regroup, identifying the Australian Open training camp at Melbourne Park next month as a launching pad.

"I haven't been ready to play before but I've been training hard recently and though I know it won't come back easily for me, I have nothing to lose," she said.

Scarred by the past, Dokic has no doubt the tumult that wrecked a fine career will ultimately help her.

"I am so much stronger in my mind and hopefully that will help with my tennis as well. I carried an enormous amount of pressure on my shoulders before but I'm free of that now.

"I finally feel happy and good about my life."

Attention: Jelena Dokic LiVE will continue with hard working and when Jelena becomes an Australian!
MilanDokic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 29th, 2005, 05:23 PM   #2
country flag jimbo mack

jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute
this is old news, catch up

j/k
jimbo mack is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 05:23 PM   #3
country flag kj-

kj- has a brilliant future kj- has a brilliant future kj- has a brilliant future kj- has a brilliant future kj- has a brilliant future kj- has a brilliant future kj- has a brilliant future kj- has a brilliant future kj- has a brilliant future kj- has a brilliant future kj- has a brilliant future
good for her good for Australia!!

Akgul Amanmuradova Lindsay Davenport Elena Dementieva Justine Henin-Hardenne Martina Hingis Ana Ivanovic Michaella Krajicek Tamira Paszek Kveta Peschke Wynne Prakusya Francesca Schiavone Patty Schnyder Maria Sharapova Ai Sugiyama Romana Tedjakusuma Angelique Widjaja

PAW kj-

Career Titles: 4

Career Highlights: Winner - Tashkent 05, Tashkent 04, Japan Open 03, Doha 03. Semi Finalist- Forest Hills 04, Seoul 04, Tokyo 03. Quarter Finalist - Dubai 06, Rome 05, Doha 05, Japan Open 04, Quebec City 03, Canberra 03, Bali 02, New Haven 02, Montreal 02, Palermo 02, Rome 02.
kj- is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 05:30 PM   #4
country flag Bubba08
Team WTAworld

Bubba08 has a reputation beyond repute Bubba08 has a reputation beyond repute Bubba08 has a reputation beyond repute Bubba08 has a reputation beyond repute Bubba08 has a reputation beyond repute Bubba08 has a reputation beyond repute Bubba08 has a reputation beyond repute Bubba08 has a reputation beyond repute Bubba08 has a reputation beyond repute Bubba08 has a reputation beyond repute Bubba08 has a reputation beyond repute
Good luck Jelena.
Bubba08 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 05:31 PM   #5
country flag vutt
Team WTAworld

vutt has disabled reputation
LOL! Even Alicia welcomes her back!
source: http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...5E3162,00.html

Quote:
Molik, McNamee support return
Leo Schlink
30nov05

ALICIA Molik and Paul McNamee have welcomed Jelena Dokic's return to Australia.

Molik, recovering from inner ear virus vestibular neuronitis, said Dokic would star again once restored to the Australian fold.

"I think it's in Jelena's best interests to move back to Australia," Molik said.

"She's spoken about it a lot. I actually bumped into Jelena a number of months ago. We were crossing paths. We had a very good chat at Dubai Airport.

"I think she played some of her best tennis when she played for Australia and I think Australia is a country where it's very easy to make friends. Australians are very good at embracing and especially successful people."

Australian Open chief executive officer McNamee is equally positive about Dokic's relocation.

"We've always been hoping this would happen," he said.

"The door was always left open for Jelena and I nearly fell off my chair three months ago when the phone rang and it was Jelena saying she wanted to come back.

"There's a real sense of relief. It's been a long time, five years."

McNamee confirmed Dokic would compete for a wildcard at the Australian Open training camp playoffs at Melbourne Park next month.
vutt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 05:32 PM   #6
country flag Natasha250688

Natasha250688 has much to be proud of Natasha250688 has much to be proud of Natasha250688 has much to be proud of Natasha250688 has much to be proud of Natasha250688 has much to be proud of Natasha250688 has much to be proud of Natasha250688 has much to be proud of Natasha250688 has much to be proud of Natasha250688 has much to be proud of Natasha250688 has much to be proud of Natasha250688 has much to be proud of
Good luck and goodbye from my signature

Elena Dementieva Anna Chakvetadze Tsvetana Pironkova Daniela Hantuchova Flavia Pennetta Maria Kirilenko Karolina prem Serena Williams Sanja Ančić
Natasha250688 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 05:33 PM   #7
country flag Penglover

Penglover is a name known to all Penglover is a name known to all Penglover is a name known to all Penglover is a name known to all Penglover is a name known to all Penglover is a name known to all Penglover is a name known to all Penglover is a name known to all Penglover is a name known to all Penglover is a name known to all Penglover is a name known to all
because of alicia... sighs
Penglover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 05:38 PM   #8
country flag CooCooCachoo
Team WTAworld

CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute

Why are they letting her change again? I don't understand.

Oh well, I hope it brings her everything she expects.

Bemelmans|Camerin|Cornet|Crivoi|Cuevas|Dentoni|Dod ig|Garbin|Granollers
Hlavackova|Ilhan|Kohli|Kuznetsov|Lammer|Mannarino| Menendez|Phau|Polansky
Reza|Robredo|Roger-Vasselin|Srebotnik|Szavay|Wrle|Zverev

CooCooCachoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #9
country flag Freakan

Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanDokic

"I finally feel happy and good about my life."
And this is the only thing that is really important
Good luck Jelena!

Welcome Back:
Dokic Karatancheva
Freakan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 05:42 PM   #10
country flag Mafia_Sharapova

Mafia_Sharapova has a brilliant future Mafia_Sharapova has a brilliant future Mafia_Sharapova has a brilliant future Mafia_Sharapova has a brilliant future Mafia_Sharapova has a brilliant future Mafia_Sharapova has a brilliant future Mafia_Sharapova has a brilliant future Mafia_Sharapova has a brilliant future Mafia_Sharapova has a brilliant future Mafia_Sharapova has a brilliant future Mafia_Sharapova has a brilliant future
good luck Jelena

Mafia Angel of the Maria Mafia

Mafia_Sharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 05:49 PM   #11
country flag Carmen Mairena
Yo soy esa, la que pone la cosa tiesa

Carmen Mairena has a reputation beyond repute Carmen Mairena has a reputation beyond repute Carmen Mairena has a reputation beyond repute Carmen Mairena has a reputation beyond repute Carmen Mairena has a reputation beyond repute Carmen Mairena has a reputation beyond repute Carmen Mairena has a reputation beyond repute Carmen Mairena has a reputation beyond repute Carmen Mairena has a reputation beyond repute Carmen Mairena has a reputation beyond repute Carmen Mairena has a reputation beyond repute
I think that Jelena's words speak for themselves. She seems happy to make a decision by herself and not by her father. Hopefully that man keeps away for real, Jelena needs a life and maybe Australia will be the right place to start up things again.

Good luck Jelena! Love to see you happy and hungry again!
Carmen Mairena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 05:59 PM   #12
country flag AsGoodAsNew

AsGoodAsNew has a brilliant future AsGoodAsNew has a brilliant future AsGoodAsNew has a brilliant future AsGoodAsNew has a brilliant future AsGoodAsNew has a brilliant future AsGoodAsNew has a brilliant future AsGoodAsNew has a brilliant future AsGoodAsNew has a brilliant future AsGoodAsNew has a brilliant future AsGoodAsNew has a brilliant future AsGoodAsNew has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polla Muy Tiesa
I think that Jelena's words speak for themselves. She seems happy to make a decision by herself and not by her father. Hopefully that man keeps away for real, Jelena needs a life and maybe Australia will be the right place to start up things again.

Good luck Jelena! Love to see you happy and hungry again!
I agree it would be great to see her back. But if it doesn't work out (her return to tennis) she better not quit Australia again - think what it would make her look like.
AsGoodAsNew is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 07:09 PM   #13
country flag Tennace

Tennace has a reputation beyond repute Tennace has a reputation beyond repute Tennace has a reputation beyond repute Tennace has a reputation beyond repute Tennace has a reputation beyond repute Tennace has a reputation beyond repute Tennace has a reputation beyond repute Tennace has a reputation beyond repute Tennace has a reputation beyond repute Tennace has a reputation beyond repute Tennace has a reputation beyond repute
YAY Jelena win the Aussie Open!

Dokic - Hantuchova - Zakopalova - Minella - Szavay - Bammer - Safarova
Stanciute - Panova - Gubacsi - Cibulkova - Cirstea - Hofmanova - Cetkovska

Official Limo Driver of Don't Knock the Dok
Tennace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 07:09 PM   #14
country flag WhatTheDeuce
11/11/11

WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute
OMG, second peice of amazing news today

AJMO JELENA!!!
Never come

WhatTheDeuce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 07:12 PM   #15
country flag Dinkie

Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of
What great news: first Martina back on tour, then Jelena back in Oz, wonderful, go girls!! And please bring Anna K. with you!!
Dinkie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote