Will Venus debut new threads at AO 06? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 28th, 2005, 08:02 PM   #1
country flag Yonexforever

Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of
Will Venus debut new threads at AO 06?

Does anyone have any new information in this area, or will we be seeing those ole Reebok duds they not even paying her for?
Yonexforever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 28th, 2005, 08:18 PM   #2
country flag VeeReeDavJCap81

VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute
I think it's funny that everyone ASSUMES that Venus isn't being paid. Just because she doesn't have a "contract" doesn't mean she's wearing that sh*t for free. Venus is a great business woman and would never be taken advantage of. Know this
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 08:24 PM   #3

Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of
I hear you loud and clear.. i still wanna see her in something new doggonitt!
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 09:14 PM   #4
country flag Diesel
Been There... Won That... x2

Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeReeDavJCap81
I think it's funny that everyone ASSUMES that Venus isn't being paid. Just because she doesn't have a "contract" doesn't mean she's wearing that sh*t for free. Venus is a great business woman and would never be taken advantage of. Know this
I don't think it's funny. Right after Wimbledon, didn't Venus' manager/agent say something to the effect that Reebok got a boat load of free press and airtime with Venus? Doesn't that imply she isn't being paid?
Imperious in victory. Never conceiving the possibility of defeat. The greatest of her era. The self-belief, that smile, backhand, muscles, serve, personality, all larger than life. There's no greater sight in women's tennis than watching Serena J. Williams go to work.
The others are Great, but Serena's the Greatest

Diesel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 09:28 PM   #5
country flag vwfan

vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute
Lordie, I hope so.
But if she keeps coming out saying things like her 80s prom party was more important to her than winning Wimbledon, she will be waiting a while for endorsements. Even if she meant it tongue and cheek, she sounds reluctant and who wants to sponsor someone who is reluctant about winning. First, she seemed reluctant to step up to the plate in her matches with Serena and then finally started challenging for them in 2003, only to discover that it wasn't as easy as deciding to play a competitive match. Serena had gained confidence and had a plan, and Venus kept playing the same old game the same old way. And Serena kept practicing against it. Second, she has always conveyed that tennis is not a singlular enterprise. Well, if you're a clothing company, don't you want your spokesperson to be obssesive about the game where they're wearing your product?!! Unless they win consistently without projecting an obsessive compulsion to play. It's not 2000 and 2001 and Venus is not dominating the sport any more.
I think Venus is in trouble on this--her sponsorship thing. She's not at the beginning of her career, plays infrequently, and costs a lot of money. Now if I'm on the business end, I might think she is a terrific athlete and role model, but what does she bring by way of brand identity that would make me want to pay the $40M she would likely be demanding?
vwfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #6
country flag badunka

badunka is a name known to all badunka is a name known to all badunka is a name known to all badunka is a name known to all badunka is a name known to all badunka is a name known to all badunka is a name known to all badunka is a name known to all badunka is a name known to all badunka is a name known to all badunka is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeReeDavJCap81
I think it's funny that you make brash assumptions without proof. Really if you're going to post and bash other posters please have the evidence to back it up.
badunka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 09:39 PM   #7
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute
Reebok paid her like a billion dollars 5 years ago, so if she' now wearing the clothes for free, I don't think she's really getting ripped off, I mean, she doesn't seem to have an issue. If one of my tobacco companies paid me like a billion dollars to do like 3-4 years of cigarette ads and then ditched me for the latest chain-smoking Oscar-winner to hit the career skids like me and sell out, I'd continue to smoke their brand in public (or at least with their brand's name on the pack). That's just good faith in commerce. Reebok and Venus go way back, about as long as me and Chesterfields!
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 11:25 PM   #8
country flag Paneru

Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwfan
Lordie, I hope so.
But if she keeps coming out saying things like her 80s prom party was more important to her than winning Wimbledon, she will be waiting a while for endorsements. Even if she meant it tongue and cheek, she sounds reluctant and who wants to sponsor someone who is reluctant about winning. First, she seemed reluctant to step up to the plate in her matches with Serena and then finally started challenging for them in 2003, only to discover that it wasn't as easy as deciding to play a competitive match. Serena had gained confidence and had a plan, and Venus kept playing the same old game the same old way. And Serena kept practicing against it. Second, she has always conveyed that tennis is not a singlular enterprise. Well, if you're a clothing company, don't you want your spokesperson to be obssesive about the game where they're wearing your product?!! Unless they win consistently without projecting an obsessive compulsion to play. It's not 2000 and 2001 and Venus is not dominating the sport any more.
I think Venus is in trouble on this--her sponsorship thing. She's not at the beginning of her career, plays infrequently, and costs a lot of money. Now if I'm on the business end, I might think she is a terrific athlete and role model, but what does she bring by way of brand identity that would make me want to pay the $40M she would likely be demanding?
Oh get over it!

Venus said she wore the clothes from Reebok
because she liked them. Simple as that.

What's wrong with this picture when the one wearing
the clothes, playing the tennis, and having her endorsements
isnt's as nearly concerned about it.

If she's happy with it,
what else matters?

BTW,
Check yourself, really.

Heaven forbid Venus find pleasure in something as simple
as an 80's prom considering she never got to go to
one because while most of us were having normal
childhoods she had to make some sacrifices
here and there giving people like you the
pleasure of seeing her play.

Wheather you deserve it or not!

Goodness, they're just damn
pieces of fabric!
Paneru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 01:51 AM   #9
country flag vwfan

vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paneru
Oh get over it!

Venus said she wore the clothes from Reebok
because she liked them. Simple as that.

What's wrong with this picture when the one wearing
the clothes, playing the tennis, and having her endorsements
isnt's as nearly concerned about it.

If she's happy with it,
what else matters?

BTW,
Check yourself, really.

Heaven forbid Venus find pleasure in something as simple
as an 80's prom considering she never got to go to
one because while most of us were having normal
childhoods she had to make some sacrifices
here and there giving people like you the
pleasure of seeing her play.

Wheather you deserve it or not!

Goodness, they're just damn
pieces of fabric!
you are more exercised by my post than I am about Venus' clothing options. I was simply stating that I think she may find it difficult to find a sponsorship deal as lucrative and attractive as her original contract, because of all the reasons I stated in my email.
I don't have to "get over it." Nothing really to get over! I simply disagree that a sponsor is going to be willing to put down millions of dollars on an professional athlete more interested in her "prom" than winning the biggest, most prestigious tournament in tennis. If she finds such a sponsor, good for her and I will be happy to see her laugh all the way to the bank.
vwfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 04:02 AM   #10

VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by badunka
I think it's funny that you make brash assumptions without proof. Really if you're going to post and bash other posters please have the evidence to back it up.
First off, how was I bashing any other posters? Were my comments directed at anyone specifically? No they weren't. Second, I never stated that I knew for sure, I just stated that it was funny that everyone assumed she wasn't being paid. No one knows except Venus, Reebok, and her accounting staff as to the terms of her relationship with Reebok. Third, why the HELL do you care anyway? Aren't you a Williams hater? Find something else better to do with your time
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 04:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
I don't think it's funny. Right after Wimbledon, didn't Venus' manager/agent say something to the effect that Reebok got a boat load of free press and airtime with Venus? Doesn't that imply she isn't being paid?
There were comments made, but I don't recall them being made by her agent/manager. A good agent would never make comments like that.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 08:52 AM   #12
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute
I hope she does im sick of ther same outfit in Different colours i want something new. The same goes for Mary Pierce
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 09:12 AM   #13
country flag LH2HBH

LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson
That's just good faith in commerce.
Clarify
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 01:18 PM   #14
country flag harloo

harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
I also remember these comments from her agent and could not understand why Venus continued to wear Reebok clothing. Some say it's a loyalty thing but IMO she would be better off creating her own line if that's the case.

harloo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 01:34 PM   #15

I believe Pierce is wearing her own designs!
Not very creative either.. in my opinion.
I think I heard her say she was gong to sell those outfits! :gasp:
Very ugly and un chic for a Francophile me thinks!