The ONE! The ONLY - Monica Seles Thread - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 07:48 AM   #31
country flag hingis-seles

hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by samn
The Seles match I'd love to watch is the 1990 Slims quarterfinal against Sanchez-Vicario. Every article I've read about this match describes it as a fantastic one where both players would've rather died than lose.
Ronny and James made a brilliant clip of this epic battle between the two warriors and uploaded it on their forum. Great job, guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 11:02 AM   #32
aussie_stars

aussie_stars is a splendid one to behold aussie_stars is a splendid one to behold aussie_stars is a splendid one to behold aussie_stars is a splendid one to behold aussie_stars is a splendid one to behold aussie_stars is a splendid one to behold aussie_stars is a splendid one to behold aussie_stars is a splendid one to behold aussie_stars is a splendid one to behold aussie_stars is a splendid one to behold aussie_stars is a splendid one to behold
what a great thread thanks

MONICA

THE AUSSIES

STOSUR *** MOLIK *** DELLACQUA *** FERGUSON *** PRATT *** ISABELLA HOLLAND *** JESS MOORE

[b] PAW 2003 Wimbledon Champion
Career High Ranking: 8th
aussie_stars is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 01:53 PM   #33
country flag tennis aus

tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of
Monica Seles: Great Ambassador to Tennis

ICL Dare to Dream Conference 2004

On Martin Luther King Day, 65 Dwight students and teens from 180 other schools gathered at the Museum of Natural History to participate in The Institute for Civic Leadership’s Third Annual Dare to Dream Conference.

These students joined celebrity speakers and dignitaries such as NYC Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Ichthyologist Dr. Melanie Stiassny in discussions about sustaining the environment and making a difference in their schools and communities.

Other speakers included Brandon Short of the New York Giants and Marc Kielberger, Director of Leaders Today. Each speaker shared stories about their personal achievements and explained how the ICL mantra, “Inspire, Educate, Take Action,” helps students become remarkable leaders.

The ICL honored former mayor David Dinkins and tennis great Monica Seles with their Leadership Award.
tennis aus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 02:11 PM   #34
country flag tennis aus

tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of
Monica Seles: A Champion in Giving Back

Tennis Month
(excerpts from archive article May 2005)

Tennis is a great way to have fun and stay fit. Tennis offers you a full body workout in a sport that you can begin playing as young as 4 and continue playing all your life. Playing tennis burns tons of calories while helping your heart. In just a half-hour, a 140-pound person can burn 254 calories. That's about what you'd get in a slice of pizza.

Here's a little history on the sport: Tennis is a "ball sport," meaning that you need a ball to play. Ball sports can be traced back as far as 1500 B.C. to the Egyptians, who played as part of their religious ceremonies. The game was first played by hitting a ball off a wall. Christian monks refined it into what would become tennis. It was played indoors, with a leather glove to control the ball. Later, a handle was added to the glove, creating the first tennis racquet. The balls went from being solid wood to leather filled with bran.

The sport was hugely popular with European royalty and nobles, but it soon found favor with the masses, and moved outside in the 19th century.

The term "lawn tennis" was coined by British statesman Arthur Balfour in 1875. The sport gained international fame after the England Croquet Club offered lawn tennis as a bonus. The club, which was located in the suburb of Wimbledon, had its first lawn-tennis tournament in 1877 and the world's most famous tennis tournament was born.

The National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows, Queens, recently had a tennis block party. Lucky kids got to play tennis and pick up a few pointers from tennis champ Monica Seles. She talked to Classroom Extra about her love of the sport.

"I started playing at about age 8 after watching my brother play. I played on a wall where we lived in Novi Sad, Yugoslavia," she told Classroom Extra.

It didn't take Monica long to get the hang of the game. At 14, she played her first professional tournament. By 17, she was the best female tennis player in the world. She's won more than 40 titles.

But for Seles, tennis is more than just tournaments. It's just a great all-around sport." You should play because you love it," she said.

Seles championed the benefits of the sport. "Kids learn hand-eye coordination, concentration and discipline. Kids are so very easily distracted, and playing tennis helps because you have to concentrate on the court. You can learn about teamwork, but also about individuality," she said.

Seles is one of the greateast players of the game, but tennis has also given a lot to her.

"Traveling as a professional athlete, tennis has given me great friendships around the world and an understanding of different cultures that I will have for the rest of my life," she said.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 06:48 PM   #35
country flag tennis aus

Greatest Teen Phenom

Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 09:10 AM   #36

hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis aus
Ok, that's the US Open trophy, and I can tell from the Monica outfit/hair that it's 1990. That was the year of the Linda Ferrando debacle. Anyone care to fill me in on how Monica's posing with the trophy?
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 09:17 AM   #37
aussie_stars

aussie_stars is a splendid one to behold aussie_stars is a splendid one to behold aussie_stars is a splendid one to behold aussie_stars is a splendid one to behold aussie_stars is a splendid one to behold aussie_stars is a splendid one to behold aussie_stars is a splendid one to behold aussie_stars is a splendid one to behold aussie_stars is a splendid one to behold aussie_stars is a splendid one to behold aussie_stars is a splendid one to behold
does anyone have an article or something with a bit more detail about the grunting controversy of '92 Wimbledon? i'd like to know a bit more bout it.
aussie_stars is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 12:02 PM   #38
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingis-seles
Ok, that's the US Open trophy, and I can tell from the Monica outfit/hair that it's 1990. That was the year of the Linda Ferrando debacle. Anyone care to fill me in on how Monica's posing with the trophy?
Are you sure it's the U.S. Open trophy? It looks a little smallish to me.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 01:12 PM   #39
country flag tennis aus

Seles Era: Grunt Bruhaha at Wimbledon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_stars
does anyone have an article or something with a bit more detail about the grunting controversy of '92 Wimbledon? i'd like to know a bit more bout it.

(excerpts from an archive article July 1992)

It was only midway through Wimbledon and Monica Seles already stood accused of a myriad of offenses that ranged from grunting, to having been born on the wrong side of the political tracks regarding strife in her native Yugoslavia, to wearing clothes that were too tight.

Should she laugh it off or start to memorize the dictionary definition of persecution?

The player, who likes to portray herself as a vivacious fashion plate off the court and a single-minded soldier on it, is undecided.

"If someone was watching that tournament to find out about me, there's not one good thing they learned," the No. 1-ranked Seles said recently after undergoing further debilitation in the form of practice on a court without air-conditioning. Heating Things Up

"In England, they were bothering me in the papers about my grunting when I played there in 1989 and 1990, and as it turned out, they were just getting warmed up," she said. "I knew from all the rumors they started about me being pregnant last year when I didn't play there that this was going to be another one of those years."

Until Wimbledon, the year had been brilliant, with Seles putting up a rugged defense of her Australian and French Open titles. But once again, Wimbledon, that mecca of manners where Seles had never before advanced beyond the quarterfinals, treated her so rudely that she was incapable of doing the one thing she does best: trample her opponents.

Only a handful of matches away from nailing down the third jewel of the 1992 Grand Slam crown, the 18-year-old Seles, renowned far and wide for her relentless competitive instinct, felt like waving a white towel and then carrying it off to a beach. Time to Recuperate

"I was tired out from it all," she said. "Right in the middle of a Grand Slam I wanted to be anywhere else."

Seles forced herself to stick around until the last round, but after being silently lambasted by the defending champion, Steffi Graf, in the final, she indeed did hustle off to the south of France to recuperate.

"I'd like to have happy memories of Wimbledon and I'm working on it, but right after it was over all I wanted to do was go away and forget that there's tennis or grunting or anything," said Seles, who used the Pathmark Tennis Classic, an exhibition event this week in Mahwah, N.J., to ease her way back into a competitive state of mind.

"I'm trying to relax and not worry about anything, especially not grunting," she said with a laugh. Urged to be Quiet

Since she has already linked the volume of her grunts to the size of the threat posed by her opponent, Seles figured she could keep things to a murmur at least until her projected rematch with Capriati in the final today. But throughout Wimbledon, she was urged to adopt a quieter frame of reference on the court as she prepared for every shot. By the final, after hearing complaints from Nathalie Tauziat and Martina Navratilova and boasts from tabloid reporters who contended that her decibel level had reached locomotive proportions, Seles felt compelled to muzzle herself.

It proved a hard habit to break, and although Seles admits that Graf played unbeatably on that Saturday, she still thinks she didn't put up the kind of fight she usually does.

"Unfortunately I might have put too much emphasis on staying quiet in the final when I should have been paying more attention to my game," said Seles, whose 41-match Grand Slam winning streak was curbed as well. "I think I was a little overwhelmed by the whole situation. By the end of the tournament how I sounded was more important than how I played."

Ever since hearing Carrie Cunningham grunt convincingly from across the net during her junior years, Seles has accompanied almost all of her double-handed groundstrokes with a dual-tone grunt. The noise, she says, was not martial-arts inspired, nor did she hope to use it to befuddle her opponents.

Capriati, who relishes her slugfests with the stylistically similar Seles, said the vilification of the Seles soundtrack at Wimbledon was unjustified. "I don't think it was right for all of a sudden everybody to get on her case," said Capriati, who has been known to deliver an effortful grunt herself. "It's pretty tough when you're in the final of Wimbledon and worried about playing well, and fighting, to have in your mind, 'Oh, I better not grunt.' "

" For people to pick on whether my skirt is too short or too long or too tight is dumb. But it seems like having things blown out of proportion all around you is what happens when you're No. 1; I saw Steffi go through it and now I guess it's my turn."
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 01:21 PM   #40
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
LOL@ Jen-Jen's quote considering years later she would make her complain about all the "decimals" from Monica's grunt!

Two things are pretty clear about about the whole grunting issue.

1. There HAD been minor complaints about the grunt before,but by 1992 everyone who played tennis knew Seles did it. So you'd think it would have been a non-issue

2. But it's Wimbledon, so the press is out in force. Once the Wimbledon press get ahold of something they'll hound it to death, so once it was mentioned (by Tauziat?) it was all over the front pages. The stakes are high for all involved, and Navratilova took up the issue-though again clearly she KNOWS Monica grunts. In Martina's defense you could argue that maybe (and i stress maybe) the accoustics on Centre Court made the grunts sound louder than usual. I'd say the real reason for the complaint was Martina heard about the complaint from Tauziat, she's thinking about it (and a 10th Wimbledon), and so she doesn't ignore what obviously didn't bother her in the past.

Seles fans should get a copy of that semi if they can-it was a wonderful match

I think Martina later apologized-I'm not 100% sure on that.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 01:24 PM   #41
country flag tennis aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
LOL@ Jen-Jen's quote considering years later she would make her complain about all the "decimals" from Monica's grunt!
true rollo, who can ever forget Jennifer's DECIMALS excuse for losing.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 01:35 PM   #42
country flag tennis aus

Her Angles: Seles Domination Continues

(excepts from an archive article)
March 1992

She hits the ball harder than anyone else, finds angles the mathematicians have yet to discover and shows an appetite for winning that is nothing short of insatiable.

There's been no scientific evidence that Monica Seles is of extraterrestrial extraction, but some of her chastened opponents are beginning to suspect it. How did she celebrate her latest display of invincibility? She hopped in an air balloon this afternoon and disappeared into the smoggy stratosphere above the Palm Springs desert.

At the Matrix Essentials Evert Cup, a $350,000 tournament where the title sponsor doled out beauty makeovers to the players and the presenting sponsor, Chris Evert, doled out tips on maternal bliss along with a crystal trophy, Seles cemented her No. 1 status with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over eighth-ranked Conchita Martinez of Spain. No End to Finals

It has been two years since Seles entered a Kraft Tour event and failed to reach its final, she has amassed a 178-23 career match record, and today she captured her 23d title after reaching her 22d consecutive final. Only Steffi Graf has equaled her for consistency in finals, and only Martina Navratilova, with a 23-tournament span that ended eight years ago, has gone her one better.

"I've still got to improve a few things," said the 18-year-old Seles, the certified baseline hellion who figures that the addition of a similarly vicious volley "will make me an even better player than I am now."

Evert, who lent her name to this new tournament but would not be enticed back into the singles draw, said of Seles: "She hits angles I've never seen before. What separates her form everyone else is that, mentally and emotionally, whe has it all together. She has that hunger: "It's just so normal for her to win."

For the seventh time in seven meetings with Seles, the third-seeded Martinez lost in straight sets. Attempting to explain Seles's propensity for reducing opponents to victims, Martinez, just as she had throughout the match, shook her head and gave a hopeless shrug. 'She Played Better'

"She played hard from everywhere on the court," said the 19-year-old Spaniard. "I played the match well, but she's No. 1. She played better."

Seles broke Martinez's serve in the seventh game of the first set by pouncing at midcourt to rip a forehand across the court. Once the Spaniard's serve slowed down in the second set, Seles stormed to a 4-0 lead.

"After it was 3-0, it was just a matter of finishing the match," Seles said.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 05:57 PM   #43
country flag R&J

R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingis-seles
Actually, that is the trophy for the 1990 San Antonio tournament.
Check out the Photo Gallery to view thousands of photos from Monica's career.

R&J is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 07:05 PM   #44
country flag tennis aus

Seles Era has began

(excerpts from an archive article)
May 1990

Monica Seles ended Steffi Graf's 66-match winning streak today, beating the world's top-ranked player, 6-4, 6-3, at the German Open to capture her fifth straight title.

''I was so far away from playing my best tennis, it was difficult to get into it,'' Graf said. ''If I play like that I can't expect to win.''

Seles extended her own winning streak to 24 matches by handing Graf her first loss in nearly a year. Graf hadn't lost since June 10, when Arantxa Sanchez Vicario beat her in the final of the French Open.

Graf's winning streak was the second longest in the modern era of women's tennis. Martina Navratilova won 74 straight matches in 1984.

Seles lost the first two games today before breaking Graf's serve twice for a 4-2 lead. From that point on, Seles controlled the match as Graf continued to be plagued by unforced errors.

Although Seles was thrilled with the victory, the 16-year-old Yugoslav didn't boast about breaking Graf's winning streak.

''This is just one match,'' Seles said. ''I'm just happy that I'm playing well.''

The victory was Seles's first over Graf after three losses, the most recent in Brighton, England, seven months ago.

Seles, who routed Navratilova, 6-1, 6-1, for the Italian Open title last week, said she had gained a lot of confidence in recent months.

''I'm much more experienced now and I wasn't afraid of Graf as much as before,'' she said.

After falling behind, 4-2, in the first set, Graf hit a long forehand on the first point of the seventh game and showed her frustration by slamming a ball into the net.

The West German recovered to win the game, but Seles never let up.

After both players held serve, Seles took a 40-love lead on Graf's serve to set up her first set point.

Graf saved the first set point with a forehand winner and Seles squandered the second with a wide backhand. But Seles then won the set with a blistering forehand winner.

Graf's Serve Is Broken

Seles jumped to a 2-0 lead in the second set, breaking Graf's serve in the second game.

Graf broke back in the third game, but she couldn't stop Seles's march to the title. Graf lost her serve two more times, including the final game when she hit a forehand over the baseline on match point.

A smiling Seles held her arms high in celebration, and the crowd stood and applauded as she strolled to the net to shake Graf's hand.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 07:05 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&J
Actually, that is the trophy for the 1990 San Antonio tournament.
I think you're right. Like Alfa said, it's a bit too small to be the US Open trophy. Thanks for clarifying.