I intend to wear my hip-hugger jeans regardless - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 18th, 2005, 02:32 PM   #1
country flag Dana Marcy

Dana Marcy has a reputation beyond repute Dana Marcy has a reputation beyond repute Dana Marcy has a reputation beyond repute Dana Marcy has a reputation beyond repute Dana Marcy has a reputation beyond repute Dana Marcy has a reputation beyond repute Dana Marcy has a reputation beyond repute Dana Marcy has a reputation beyond repute Dana Marcy has a reputation beyond repute Dana Marcy has a reputation beyond repute Dana Marcy has a reputation beyond repute
I intend to wear my hip-hugger jeans regardless

by Gwendolyn Baines
NNPA

Ask Gwendolyn Baines

Dear Gwendolyn:

I keep up with the latest fashions. Two months ago, I purchased five pairs of hip-hugger jeans and five T-shirts that stop about 5 inches above the waist. I have such an urge to wear them. I don’t think an older woman should limit her style of dress. I’m thin and when I wear my jeans, people stare. I had my first child at 14. Now, at 54, and wearing hip-huggers, I look good.

Sarah

Dear Sarah:

No you don’t. You made the statement, “I intend to wear my hip-hugger jeans regardless…” You didn’t finish the sentence.

Regardless of what? You left the statement to be completed by others. They could say “regardless of how stupid I look.” Maybe not that harsh, but definitely not agreeing that you look good. Sarah, allow me to explain what is happening to you: In the beginning of your teenage years, you became an adult.

At the age of 14, you became a mother; I am not even going to ask what age you began to have sex. Like so many girls, you completely missed your teen years. Now, you are trying to go back to being a teen, but you can’t.

What you can do, however, is to tell teenage girls (and boys) to stay in school, enjoy their teen years, and pursue professional degrees or skills that will prepare them to become successful adults. (Read The Hurried Child: Growing Up Too Fast Too Soon, 3rd edition by David Elkind, Ph.D., April 2001). Think about it. Grown women in hip huggers looks ridiculous –stretch marks across their back and hanging belly in front.

For this example alone, it is imperative to live life in stages; child, teenager, adult. When you look into your mirror, you think you see a 54 year-old woman wearing hip huggers and looking good. Sorry, but not true. Clean your mirror Sarah. – it desperately needs it.
Dana Marcy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 18th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #2
country flag Dana Marcy

Dana Marcy has a reputation beyond repute Dana Marcy has a reputation beyond repute Dana Marcy has a reputation beyond repute Dana Marcy has a reputation beyond repute Dana Marcy has a reputation beyond repute Dana Marcy has a reputation beyond repute Dana Marcy has a reputation beyond repute Dana Marcy has a reputation beyond repute Dana Marcy has a reputation beyond repute Dana Marcy has a reputation beyond repute Dana Marcy has a reputation beyond repute
GO GWEN! I enjoy fashion but I know that certain clothing is "age appropriate".
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #3
country flag PaulieM

PaulieM has a reputation beyond repute PaulieM has a reputation beyond repute PaulieM has a reputation beyond repute PaulieM has a reputation beyond repute PaulieM has a reputation beyond repute PaulieM has a reputation beyond repute PaulieM has a reputation beyond repute PaulieM has a reputation beyond repute PaulieM has a reputation beyond repute PaulieM has a reputation beyond repute PaulieM has a reputation beyond repute
that was harsh.
i agree though, i don't care how good you think you look, you don't. i'm sick of this whole new thing where age appropriate clothing seems to have gone out the window. middle-aged women should not be wearing tube tops or those (insert letter of the alphabet) is for (insert adjective beginning with said letter) shirts, chunky platform shoes are also a no for anyone in their 40s or 50s, the list goes on. if you wear the same clothes as your teenage daughter(or worse you borrow from her), then that's a clue that you're doing something oh so wrong.

Venus: Wimbledon Champion 2005

Amelie Mauresmo- Amazing! YEC Champ 2005, AO 2006 CHAMP!!

Myskina, Davenport, Kuznetsova, Golovin, Ivanovic, Pierce, Schnyder, Mirza, Benesova

Lindsay Lee Waters, A-L Groenefeld, Dally Randriantefy, Nadia Petrova, Alicia Molik, Kim Clijsters

Roger Federer Forever!

"I was ready to die on the court today"-Amelie Mauresmo
PaulieM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 09:28 PM   #4
country flag Dana Marcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieM
that was harsh.
i agree though, i don't care how good you think you look, you don't. i'm sick of this whole new thing where age appropriate clothing seems to have gone out the window. middle-aged women should not be wearing tube tops or those (insert letter of the alphabet) is for (insert adjective beginning with said letter) shirts, chunky platform shoes are also a no for anyone in their 40s or 50s, the list goes on. if you wear the same clothes as your teenage daughter(or worse you borrow from her), then that's a clue that you're doing something oh so wrong.
An intern at my job told me last year that she freaked when she walked into one of her favorite clubs and her 48 year-old mom was there! Her mom was with girls in their 20's from her mom's job and her mom had on some belly shirt, tight jeans, wearing a fake ponytail and out on the dance shaking her butt to 50 Cent.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 09:33 PM   #5
country flag PaulieM

PaulieM has a reputation beyond repute PaulieM has a reputation beyond repute PaulieM has a reputation beyond repute PaulieM has a reputation beyond repute PaulieM has a reputation beyond repute PaulieM has a reputation beyond repute PaulieM has a reputation beyond repute PaulieM has a reputation beyond repute PaulieM has a reputation beyond repute PaulieM has a reputation beyond repute PaulieM has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Marcy
An intern at my job told me last year that she freaked when she walked into one of her favorite clubs and her 48 year-old mom was there! Her mom was with girls in their 20's from her mom's job and her mom had on some belly shirt, tight jeans, wearing a fake ponytail and out on the dance shaking her butt to 50 Cent.
that is so beyond wrong. it's fine to be young at heart and stuff, but there's a difference. and that's just too much, people take it too far. you're embarassing yourself and everyone you know.

Myskina, Davenport, Kuznetsova, Golovin, Ivanovic, Pierce, Schnyder, Mirza, Benesova

Lindsay Lee Waters, A-L Groenefeld, Dally Randriantefy, Nadia Petrova, Alicia Molik, Kim Clijsters

Roger Federer Forever!

Old Nov 20th, 2005, 09:38 PM   #6
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Marcy
by Gwendolyn Baines
NNPA

Ask Gwendolyn Baines

Dear Gwendolyn:

I keep up with the latest fashions. Two months ago, I purchased five pairs of hip-hugger jeans and five T-shirts that stop about 5 inches above the waist. I have such an urge to wear them. I don’t think an older woman should limit her style of dress. I’m thin and when I wear my jeans, people stare. I had my first child at 14. Now, at 54, and wearing hip-huggers, I look good.

Sarah

Dear Sarah:

No you don’t. You made the statement, “I intend to wear my hip-hugger jeans regardless…” You didn’t finish the sentence.

Regardless of what? You left the statement to be completed by others. They could say “regardless of how stupid I look.” Maybe not that harsh, but definitely not agreeing that you look good. Sarah, allow me to explain what is happening to you: In the beginning of your teenage years, you became an adult.

At the age of 14, you became a mother; I am not even going to ask what age you began to have sex. Like so many girls, you completely missed your teen years. Now, you are trying to go back to being a teen, but you can’t.

What you can do, however, is to tell teenage girls (and boys) to stay in school, enjoy their teen years, and pursue professional degrees or skills that will prepare them to become successful adults. (Read The Hurried Child: Growing Up Too Fast Too Soon, 3rd edition by David Elkind, Ph.D., April 2001). Think about it. Grown women in hip huggers looks ridiculous –stretch marks across their back and hanging belly in front.

For this example alone, it is imperative to live life in stages; child, teenager, adult. When you look into your mirror, you think you see a 54 year-old woman wearing hip huggers and looking good. Sorry, but not true. Clean your mirror Sarah. – it desperately needs it.
Hmm..?
I don't know ya'll. I've seen some incredibly well shaped 50 year old bodies in the gym. And in my apartment complex there are some mighty heavenly looking older women wearing hip-huggers who look very good...and some young fatties who really REALLY don't.

I've always wondered though...
Why is it not okay for older women to dress in a way that makes them feel attractive? Is there some unspoken rule that says after 30 you are in effect invisible to society so you should dress the part?
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 12:13 AM   #7
country flag PaulieM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeVeeDynasty
I've always wondered though...
Why is it not okay for older women to dress in a way that makes them feel attractive? Is there some unspoken rule that says after 30 you are in effect invisible to society so you should dress the part?
i don't have anything against dressing to feel attractive. but i don't think you have to dress like a teenager to feel attractive. there are plenty of beautiful older women who look sexy wearing classy outifts, i don't remember when everyone decided that sexy had to be the same as being overly exposed and trashy, and lot of older women feel to be sexy they have to dress like some 20 year old hollywood starlett. i don't think they need to, if you can distinguish between sexy and trashy then fine do whatever you want.

Roger Federer Forever!

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 12:34 AM   #8
country flag Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute
My mother wears my old hip huggers and they look fine on her. It's not like she wears a halter with them.
Crazy Canuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 12:54 AM   #9
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
i don't have anything against dressing to feel attractive. but i don't think you have to dress like a teenager to feel attractive. there are plenty of beautiful older women who look sexy wearing classy outifts, i don't remember when everyone decided that sexy had to be the same as being overly exposed and trashy, and lot of older women feel to be sexy they have to dress like some 20 year old hollywood starlett. i don't think they need to, if you can distinguish between sexy and trashy then fine do whatever you want.
Okay, so is what's being said here is that Hip-Huggers are trashy wear? I still don't understand the reason why a fifty(ish) woman would be considered trashy. Now if she were to wear some of these lingerie dresses I've seen the young ones wear, then I could see the point. but we're talking about flirty-wear here.

Okay, hold-up...
I just thought of my sixty(ish) mother wearing hip-huggers.
At any rate, does the main problem have more to do with social ethics?
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 01:00 AM   #10
go hingis

go hingis has a reputation beyond repute go hingis has a reputation beyond repute go hingis has a reputation beyond repute go hingis has a reputation beyond repute go hingis has a reputation beyond repute go hingis has a reputation beyond repute go hingis has a reputation beyond repute go hingis has a reputation beyond repute go hingis has a reputation beyond repute go hingis has a reputation beyond repute go hingis has a reputation beyond repute
lol- I think it's pretty bad that all ages are wearing the same clothes these days.

I see 10 year old girls wearing what 20 yr olds wear.

I went shopping the other day and some 8-10 yr old wanted a top that was cut out all over the dad didn't know what to say "there's not much material there, what are you paying for holes" the little girl just looked at him, and said Dad, this is what I want. So he brought it for her.

Go into a girls shop and you will see females aged from 8 - 58 looking at the same clothes. Lol
go hingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 01:01 AM   #11
country flag PaulieM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeVeeDynasty
Okay, so is what's being said here is that Hip-Huggers are trashy wear? I still don't understand the reason why a fifty(ish) woman would be considered trashy. Now if she were to wear some of these lingerie dresses I've seen the young ones wear, then I could see the point. but we're talking about flirty-wear here.

Okay, hold-up...
I just thought of my sixty(ish) mother wearing hip-huggers.
At any rate, does the main problem have more to do with social ethics?
no i'm not saying hip huggers are trashy. my orginal response isn't so much about hip huggers themselves, i know plenty of older women who wear a nice pair of tight jeans without looking trashy. it's the people that take it further and wear trashy clothing that say some teenagers would wear because they think it's sexy. so many people feel like to look or feel young you have to dress like paris hilton. i disagree. i just don't think that dressing appropriately for your age is the same as being frumpy, which is what a lot of people seem to think. you can dress like a respectable 40 year old woman or at least look your age rather than try to look 15 and still be sexy. i don't think my mom needs to wear a tube top to look sexy.

Roger Federer Forever!

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 01:29 AM   #12
country flag RVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
My mother wears my old hip huggers and they look fine on her. It's not like she wears a halter with them.
And I bet she looks good in them too.

Quote:
no i'm not saying hip huggers are trashy. my orginal response isn't so much about hip huggers themselves, i know plenty of older women who wear a nice pair of tight jeans without looking trashy. it's the people that take it further and wear trashy clothing that say some teenagers would wear because they think it's sexy. so many people feel like to look or feel young you have to dress like paris hilton. i disagree. i just don't think that dressing appropriately for your age is the same as being frumpy, which is what a lot of people seem to think. you can dress like a respectable 40 year old woman or at least look your age rather than try to look 15 and still be sexy. i don't think my mom needs to wear a tube top to look sexy.
I understand now. And I agree.
Trashy doesn't equal sexy at all. Trashy is a pathetic attempt to garner attention for the lowest of self-esteemed folks.

Unless your profession happens to be ...um...professional.