year end #1 Ranking - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 7th, 2005, 08:45 PM   #1
country flag champion88

champion88 has a reputation beyond repute champion88 has a reputation beyond repute champion88 has a reputation beyond repute champion88 has a reputation beyond repute champion88 has a reputation beyond repute champion88 has a reputation beyond repute champion88 has a reputation beyond repute champion88 has a reputation beyond repute champion88 has a reputation beyond repute champion88 has a reputation beyond repute champion88 has a reputation beyond repute
year end #1 Ranking

Davenport currently holds a narrow lead of just 155 points in the rankings over #2 Kim Clijsters. The year end ranking will be decided down to the wire at this week's Championships.

Kim can overtake the #1 spot if she wins the title and Davenport fails to make the final.
Kim can also overtake if she qualifies for the semis but Davenport falls at the group stage.
Only Davenport can stop Clijsters. The scenario I envisage is Davenport winning all 3 of her group matches, as with Clijsters. I see Davenport beating Mauresmo in semi and Clijsters beating Sharapova in semi. Then, the final showdown between worl #1 and #2 Davenport and Clijsters. However, if this is the final line-up, Davenport will be assured of the year end #1 ranking. According to my calculations, if both players make the final having won all 3 group matches, and Clijsters defeats Davenport in the final, she will still finish 3 points behind Davenport.
However, as we know, a week;s a long time in the world of tennis, so anything can happen. The race will really hot up in the group stages if either player loses a match!! I will keep you posted!
champion88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 7th, 2005, 09:27 PM   #2
country flag phonebone

phonebone is an unknown quantity at this point
Aren't you forgetting that Davenport is gonna lose her points of last year (214 pts) as well. So basically she doesn't have a lead anymore. Actually it's Kim who's got a small lead of 55 pts. So the one who last longer will be n° 1.
phonebone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 06:23 PM   #3
jenglisbe

jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, it's so close that I think whoever does better will end the year at #1.
carried the weight on my own
Had to be strong
so I believed
and now I know I've succeeded
in finding the place I conceived
jenglisbe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 06:27 PM   #4
country flag champion88

champion88 has a reputation beyond repute champion88 has a reputation beyond repute champion88 has a reputation beyond repute champion88 has a reputation beyond repute champion88 has a reputation beyond repute champion88 has a reputation beyond repute champion88 has a reputation beyond repute champion88 has a reputation beyond repute champion88 has a reputation beyond repute champion88 has a reputation beyond repute champion88 has a reputation beyond repute
Oh damn it I forgot about that!!- yes I think Davenport therefore needs to get a round further than Kimmie to take the #1 rank!

Silly me!
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 06:55 PM   #5
country flag earthcrystal

earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future
Quote:
So the one who last longer will be n° 1.
Not technically. Kim could actually simply match Lindsay's result and it would be good enough, i.e., if they both failed to get out of their group or both lost in semis. It's only Lindsay that needs to "last longer".

Of course, this could come down to a semifinal if one of them is the runner-up in her group and the other the winner. That said, I'm guessing that the sponsors are prob'ly praying for a "Match to be #1" Final.
earthcrystal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 10:47 PM   #6
country flag champion88

does anyone know what round points the players get for winning matches in the round robin stage? obviously lindsay has opened up a lead over kim with her bonus points from nadia and patty, but am not sure of waht round points she will get??
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 02:57 AM   #7
country flag nitsansh

nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of
Lindsay got 218 pts for reaching the semi, plus quality pts (2X43).
I think that should be enough to secure #1 place if Kim doesn't reach the semi, because 3rd place will give her 121+43 pts.
2007 race to the championship: 26, 293 pts, 8 tournaments
Year-end Ranking: 2006 - 46, 2005 - 8, 2004 - 63, 2003 - 146

Career Highlights:
Winner: 2006 - Beijing, 2005 - Sydney, Budapest, Hasselt
Runner-up: 2006 - Prague, 2005 - Hyderabad, Forest Hills, Los Angeles YEC
Semifinal: 2006 - Paris, Bogota, 2004 - Sopot
Quarterfinal: 2005 - Prague, Modena, 2004 - Indian Wells, Stockholm, Seoul, Filderstadt
nitsansh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 03:10 PM   #8
country flag champion88

It has been confirmed that after Lindsay reached the semis and Clijsters is unable to make the semis regardless of her match today, that Davenport will end the year as #1 for the 4th time in her illustrious carrer- can't believe she was thinking of retiring a year and a half ago!!- she's playing the best tennis of her life and still has at least another good years of tennis in her- i mean look at mary pierce at 30 years old- and davenport is only 28!!
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 06:17 PM   #9
country flag nitsansh

nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of
Davenport is 29 years and 5 months, to be precise
2007 race to the championship: 26, 293 pts, 8 tournaments
Year-end Ranking: 2006 - 46, 2005 - 8, 2004 - 63, 2003 - 146

Career Highlights:
Winner: 2006 - Beijing, 2005 - Sydney, Budapest, Hasselt
Runner-up: 2006 - Prague, 2005 - Hyderabad, Forest Hills, Los Angeles YEC
Semifinal: 2006 - Paris, Bogota, 2004 - Sopot
Quarterfinal: 2005 - Prague, Modena, 2004 - Indian Wells, Stockholm, Seoul, Filderstadt
nitsansh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote