The real Callens interview: fully translated now! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 09:46 AM   #1
country flag Borris

Borris is a splendid one to behold Borris is a splendid one to behold Borris is a splendid one to behold Borris is a splendid one to behold Borris is a splendid one to behold Borris is a splendid one to behold Borris is a splendid one to behold Borris is a splendid one to behold Borris is a splendid one to behold Borris is a splendid one to behold Borris is a splendid one to behold
The real Callens interview: fully translated now!

I noticed a big thread concerning some quotes of Callens. Unfortunately they were (consciencly) mis-interpreted by Flemish TV. That's why I summarized the unimportant parts and litterlay translated the important parts about Justine, youngsters, Hingis and Navratilova. You'll notice it gives a whole other dimension to the 5 lines quoted in the previous article.

ELS CALLENS

First she explains how she started her professional career at the age of 19. In 1991 she played for the first time at wimbledon and she won her first round match without ever playing or practising on grass. She stayed with the same host family at Wimbledon for 15 years. Her most happy moment was the olympic bronze medal (Sydney 2000) with Van Roost.
she had a serious fight with Kim Clijsters about the Olympics (Athens), because she wanted to play doubles there but Kim didn't want to.

Fed cup
"The title in 2001 was the climax. But I remember I was the only player who went celebrating with the coach and the rest of the delegation. The other players went right to bed. The rivalry between Justine and Kim was there from the beginning, like it existed between Van Roost and Appelmans. Kim and Justine didn't talk much to each other. At dinner, Justine stayed in a little corner far away, she doesn't speak Dutch and Kim doesn't speak French well. The communication was very difficult. Sometimes I went over to Justine to have a little chat, but it wasn't easy to speak freely. Pierre-Yves and Carlos were around her all the time. I also felt little respect from her side. She quickly thinks that everybody is against her. It's really a pity that they don't play together anymore in Fed Cup. Theoretically they could have won Fed Cup 5 times.

"Kournikova showed little respect for others, I overheard her once yelling at her driver because he was 15 minutes late. That mentality is very typical for the eastern european countries. When those players start with nothing and they go to the top, they often forget where they are coming from. Also Sharapova is not the nicest person, but her dad hangs around her all the time. Even when she wins a final, he keeps on harping on points she lost. If a person behaved in that way towards me, I would smash my racket on his head!"

"Of course there is a generation-gap. With somebody of 16 years I have no contact. Most of the young girls stopped school early and have little interesting things to tell, have little attention for culture. One has little friends in the circuit. I always got along well with Meileen Tu. In general it's a very jealous world. In the lockerroom players supported often against Martina Hingis. She could be very belittleling. I played once against her. When I made a point she lokked at me like: "how is it possible that you made a point?". She laughed at you in your face.

Els talked about how she saved a lot of her earnings and never bought unnecessary things ("only a watch, a painting and a car"). Now she is fed up with traveling.

Callens was known for her double skills. In Amelia Island 2003 she played with Navratilova. "She asked me, and of course you don't say no. It was quite an honor. Of course she tries to pick good partners. I was really nervous. She really puts a lot of pressure on you. She could get quite mad when I made a stupid mistake. (laughing): 'Why don't you hit a forehandsmash instead of a backhandsmash!!". In that sense I was relieved it was over".
With Van Roost it clicked the best. She build up the points from behind, I finished them at the net.

Callens isn't afraid to start her life after tennis. I already teach tennis and I would like to graduate as an A-trainer, with that I can also become Fed-cup-captain. Within a few years I want to apply for that job.

Last edited by Borris : Oct 25th, 2005 at 11:52 AM.
Borris is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 10:20 AM   #2
country flag Slumpsova

Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute
her comment about Justine doesn't sound negative at all. Jusine seems to be that kind of person. it's her character and i respect to that

hope no one bashes Els on this thread.

thank you Borris

Last edited by Slumpsova : Oct 25th, 2005 at 10:40 AM.
Slumpsova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 10:36 AM   #3
country flag rightous

rightous has a reputation beyond repute rightous has a reputation beyond repute rightous has a reputation beyond repute rightous has a reputation beyond repute rightous has a reputation beyond repute rightous has a reputation beyond repute rightous has a reputation beyond repute rightous has a reputation beyond repute rightous has a reputation beyond repute rightous has a reputation beyond repute rightous has a reputation beyond repute
Cheers, the article shows that the quotes were deifnely taken out of context.

I miss Domi
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 11:25 AM   #4
country flag Jakeev

Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute
Wow what a nice thing she said about Meilen Tu. I suspect though that you probably find more frienships with the women that are ranked lower and not fighting for Grand Slams and the top spot.
Jakeev is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 11:32 AM   #5
country flag Bubba08
Team WTAworld

Bubba08 has a reputation beyond repute Bubba08 has a reputation beyond repute Bubba08 has a reputation beyond repute Bubba08 has a reputation beyond repute Bubba08 has a reputation beyond repute Bubba08 has a reputation beyond repute Bubba08 has a reputation beyond repute Bubba08 has a reputation beyond repute Bubba08 has a reputation beyond repute Bubba08 has a reputation beyond repute Bubba08 has a reputation beyond repute
Finally, her coments was less nasty than what it seems
It 's less funny
Bubba08 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 11:39 AM   #6
country flag ~|Naomi|~

~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for clearing that up

Would love to see Maria smash her racket over yuri's head
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 12:05 PM   #7
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute
Justine is right--everyone on the tour is against her. Just like me in Hollywood, making it in tennis and in Hollywood is very hard, it's a total snake pit of vultures who want to take away anything you achieve. Only the strong and suspicious survive and it's good for Justine that she has learned this at any early age, it will keep her well in life, even after tennis.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 12:07 PM   #8
country flag crazyroberto6767
Registered 1

crazyroberto6767 has a reputation beyond repute crazyroberto6767 has a reputation beyond repute crazyroberto6767 has a reputation beyond repute crazyroberto6767 has a reputation beyond repute crazyroberto6767 has a reputation beyond repute crazyroberto6767 has a reputation beyond repute crazyroberto6767 has a reputation beyond repute crazyroberto6767 has a reputation beyond repute crazyroberto6767 has a reputation beyond repute crazyroberto6767 has a reputation beyond repute crazyroberto6767 has a reputation beyond repute
Not really surprising about Martina. Any match she plays, she gives plenty of staredowns. I would think a lot of people with money and people who are in the public eye think the way Justine does . She does make a good point about the youngsters not really knowing the world yet. Meilen Tu is awesome, glad to see other people think so to . Thanks for the true translation.

Lindsay*ElenaD*Milagros*Mary*Svetlana*Nuria*
Mashona*Dinara*Laura*Chrissie*VeraD*JelenaD*Lucie*

Ana*Sania*Shuai*Katarina*Nadia*Chanda*Ai*
crazyroberto6767 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 12:26 PM   #9
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute
here is a bottom line of this interview: I was very unhappy during all these years, which resulted in less than mediocre career and turned me into a bitter woman. This is my pay off to all you successful biatches...
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 12:27 PM   #10
country flag Alenyaa

Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute
This is not the article that appeared in the newspaper on which the teletext message was based though... This version is sweetened up, all the sections in which she was simply rude and out of line are left out. I know this because I read it myself.

Jelena Dokic, Tsvetana Pironkova, Caroline Wozniacki
Daniela Hantuchova, Gisela Dulko, Julia Görges

Former Training Accommodation Manager aboard the SS Dementieva
Now discovering New Horizons...
Alenyaa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #11
country flag nicky

nicky has a brilliant future nicky has a brilliant future nicky has a brilliant future nicky has a brilliant future nicky has a brilliant future nicky has a brilliant future nicky has a brilliant future nicky has a brilliant future nicky has a brilliant future nicky has a brilliant future nicky has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenyaa
This is not the article that appeared in the newspaper on which the teletext message was based though... This version is sweetened up, all the sections in which she was simply rude and out of line are left out. I know this because I read it myself.
Not true, this is the article which appeared in De Morgen, all be it shortened (but it takes time for such a translation - try it yourself once day ). He did not leave out "rude and out of line comments", except perhaps the Martina Hingis one.
And if you want some proof of this: I translated parts of it as well in the original thread, see: http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php...&postcount=185

BTW: smart move to post this seperately Borris, this way (some) people actually read it
nicky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 12:46 PM   #12
country flag Alenyaa

Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute
I based myself on the article that appeared in Gazet van Antwerpen.
Problem is I've tried to look it up on their site, but I couldn't find it anywhere.
Then I went to the Sporza website where I found extracts of it, but still not the complete version. But I am sure of what I read. Two pages were dedicated to it, so it was kinda hard to miss.

Jelena Dokic, Tsvetana Pironkova, Caroline Wozniacki
Daniela Hantuchova, Gisela Dulko, Julia Görges

Former Training Accommodation Manager aboard the SS Dementieva
Now discovering New Horizons...
Alenyaa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 12:47 PM   #13
country flag Bette_Midler

Bette_Midler has a reputation beyond repute Bette_Midler has a reputation beyond repute Bette_Midler has a reputation beyond repute Bette_Midler has a reputation beyond repute Bette_Midler has a reputation beyond repute Bette_Midler has a reputation beyond repute Bette_Midler has a reputation beyond repute Bette_Midler has a reputation beyond repute Bette_Midler has a reputation beyond repute Bette_Midler has a reputation beyond repute Bette_Midler has a reputation beyond repute
Els you are fantastic thanks for all the good moments
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 01:37 PM   #14
country flag nicky

nicky has a brilliant future nicky has a brilliant future nicky has a brilliant future nicky has a brilliant future nicky has a brilliant future nicky has a brilliant future nicky has a brilliant future nicky has a brilliant future nicky has a brilliant future nicky has a brilliant future nicky has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenyaa
I based myself on the article that appeared in Gazet van Antwerpen.
Problem is I've tried to look it up on their site, but I couldn't find it anywhere.
Then I went to the Sporza website where I found extracts of it, but still not the complete version. But I am sure of what I read. Two pages were dedicated to it, so it was kinda hard to miss.
Can't comment on the article in GVA, I only read De Morgen . Here is the full article of De Morgen in Dutch:
http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=303
nicky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 01:50 PM   #15
country flag kabuki

kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute
Not as nasty as first reported.

But my question is, if Els really wants to be the Fed Cup captain, shouldn't she be just a little more political and circumspect? Fed and Davis Cup captains seem to be chosen primarily by who does and doesn't like you.
kabuki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote