Long skirts and bowler hats-Pioneers til 1914 - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 20th, 2007, 01:40 AM   #46
country flag OrdinaryfoolisNJ

OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future
Re: Long skirts and bowler hats-Pioneers til 1914

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post

The match scores were: 6-3 5-7 6-4 2-6 7-5.

This is a total of 26 games for Miss Atkinson and 25 games for Miss Jones. The point total was 185 points for Miss Jones to 177 for Miss Atkinson.
I have tennis history books, but I only look at the photos from the early game. I had no idea that the "ladies" used to play 5 sets!

p.s. I like reading about the story about "Chatty" Cooper

"I still feel in the back of my mind that when Serena is committed and in shape, she's the best player"
Chris Evert ESPN May 2007
OrdinaryfoolisNJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 11:59 PM   #47
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have tennis history books, but I only look at the photos from the early game. I had no idea that the "ladies" used to play 5 sets!

p.s. I like reading about the story about "Chatty" Cooper
I did too. She was really the first woman to volley on a regular basis. I found this article today-it's 1905 in Pasadena.

http://www.ulwaf.com/LA-1900s/05.07.html#Tennis

From the Los Angeles Daily Times, July 5, 1905 NEW STAR IN FIRMAMENT.

Miss Peralta Shining Among Tennis Experts.

For the second day of the Ocean Park tennis tourney, society was out in fluffy white, and bunches of pretty dames watched with ever-increasing interest the excellent work of the contestants, most of whom were on their mettle and in fine form.
The Country Club grounds were graced with a pleasing array of beauty, and a feature of the sport this year is the number of young women seen for the first time in a tournament.
Though several of the old stars are missed and the places of May Sutton, Alphonso Bell and Trow Hendricks are hard to fill, the management is conducting a series of games that is claiming the attention of expert racket men. . . .
The ladies’ singles have been far more interesting than in former years, and though the Sutton girls will undoubtedly take the first honors as they have done in previous contests, the playing of several of the coming stars among the pretty dames has made the Pasadena girls look carefully to their laurels.

Eleanor Peralta, a typical tennis girl with a wealth of dark hair that somehow stays becomingly in place in spite of the many twists and curves of the game, has won honor in the ladies’ lists by successfully retiring all comers. Her graceful racket has earned for her a second place to Florence and Violet Sutton, who will today decide first honors. . . .
The style of this young player is distinctly her own and, while not so rapid as the Sutton sisters, her serve is strong and her net work is superior to that of most of the local talent in her class. . . .

Lynne Emery writes in “From Social Pastime to Serious Sport: Women’s Tennis in Southern California in the Late 19th and Early 20th Centuries,” The Californian, 8, No. 4 (November-December, 1990), 38-42:
Prior to the turn of the century, tennis was primarily a pastime of upper-class socially prominent leaders. In Southern California the few tournaments held were connected with large resort hotels and the teas, social gatherings and victory balls were as important as the matches.

Emerging from this social milieu were several young women with exceptional tennis skills including Violet, Ethel, Florence, and May Sutton, Elizabeth Ryan and Mary K. Browne. With the arrival of these athletes, tennis changed from a game of little friendly courtesies between “pretty” and “nice” contenders to a major event reported on the sports pages rather than society sections of local newspapers.

This change was due to the combination of socio-cultural factors and the athletic abilities of Southern California’s outstanding women players.

Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 12:30 AM   #48
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Ladies playing tennis at Buxton (Derbyshire) in the 1880s

Old May 17th, 2008, 06:13 AM   #49
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all
Long skirts and bowler hats-Pioneers til 1914

Quote:
Emerging from this social milieu were several young women with exceptional tennis skills including Violet, Ethel, Florence, and May Sutton, Elizabeth Ryan and Mary K. Browne. With the arrival of these athletes, tennis changed from a game of little friendly courtesies between “pretty” and “nice” contenders to a major event reported on the sports pages rather than society sections of local newspapers.
I read something I didn't know - Elizabeth Ryan won the Russian Lawn Tennis Ladies' Singles Championships in 1914.
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:48 AM   #50
country flag trivfun

trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of

http://docsouth.unc.edu/nc/pineneedles/ill179.html

Here is one from the North Carolina College for Women (now UNC-Greensboro) in 1921 in their Pine Needles yearbook.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #51
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Bump up.

Here is a bio of unhearalded Kate Nunneley. Her 13 national singles titles may very well be a record for winniing one event. She beat Wimbledon champ Blanche hillyard in 1893 before emigrating to New Zealand.

http://www.dnzb.govt.nz/DNZB/alt_ess...p?essayID=3N13

Nunneley, Kathleen Mary 1872 - 1956
Tennis player, librarian Kathleen Mary Nunneley was born on 16 September 1872 at Little Bowden, Leicestershire, England, the daughter of John Alexander Nunneley, a wholesale grocer, and his wife, Kate Young. She began her tennis career at a young age, winning several championship events before she had turned 15. In 1891 she won the Brighton handicap singles title and in 1893 recorded victories in tournaments at Liverpool, Leicester, Nottingham, Northampton and Wellingborough. Although she never competed in the All England championship, Nunneley defeated the reigning Wimbledon champion, Blanche Hillyard. Her father committed suicide in 1893 and in 1894 she emigrated to New Zealand with her mother, three brothers and a sister, arriving on the Kaikoura at Wellington on 7 December.
Shortly after settling in central Wellington, Kathleen (known as Kate) Nunneley joined the Thorndon Lawn Tennis Club. In December 1895 she took part in her first New Zealand Lawn Tennis Association tournament. On winning both the ladies' singles and doubles titles, she was selected to represent New Zealand at the New South Wales championships in 1896, where she played with characteristic style to win both the ladies' championship and handicap singles titles.
Possessed of a powerful forehand drive and a keenly competitive spirit, Kate Nunneley did much to improve the standard of women's tennis in New Zealand. Despite being severely handicapped by the dress requirements of the day, she was an energetic competitor who enjoyed playing and practising regularly against men. She won 13 national singles titles - more than any other man or woman in the history of New Zealand tennis - in an unbroken run from 1895 to 1907. She also won 10 national doubles titles and nine national mixed doubles titles, twice with the champion player Anthony Wilding, and was a leading member of the New Zealand women's tennis team which made a triumphant tour of New South Wales in 1909.
By the time she visited England at the end of the First World War Nunneley had given up top-level competition, but tennis remained her ruling passion. Her generosity to the game was manifested by her decision to have the gold medals she had won at national tournaments made into a trophy for the New Zealand Lawn Tennis Association. This gift, the Nunneley Casket, was presented in 1928 and subsequently awarded each year to the winning team in the interprovincial women's tennis competition.
Away from tennis Kate Nunneley lived the life of an independent woman. She never married and for 30 years she enjoyed a successful career as a librarian, retiring from her position as assistant in charge of the reference department at the Wellington Public Library in 1935.
Continuing her love affair with tennis, Kate Nunneley returned to England to see the Wimbledon tennis tournament in both 1949 and 1953. Known for her charm, modesty and good sportsmanship, she was a popular figure. For her own remarkable achievements and her enthusiastic work with young players, she was made a life member of the Wellington and New Zealand lawn tennis associations. She was also a life member of her Thorndon club. She died in Wellington on 28 September 1956.

MARGARET HAMMER

Elenio, P. Centrecourt. Wellington, 1986
Macdonald, C. et al. , eds. The book of New Zealand women. Wellington, 1991
Obit. Evening Post. 29 Sept. 1956: 14
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #52
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Kate in action

Old Jul 18th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #53
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Kate in action

Great image there Rollo.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 04:37 AM   #54
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

A view of the US Women's Nationals when it was still held in Philadelphia. The site still exists as a boy's school

Old Nov 11th, 2009, 04:41 AM   #55
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Hazel Hotchkiss Wightman and Molla Mallory c 1915 -this was the year the Nordic Iron Maiden Mola Bjurstedt (later Mallory) shocked all by storming to title after title. She had seemingly appeared out of nowhere, entering the US Indoors in March. She is listed as a maseuse in more than one instance!

Old Nov 11th, 2009, 04:42 AM   #56
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

After being eclipsed by Molla Mrs Wightman was still able to win the US nationals in 1919, when Molla was upset by Marion Jessup. Some suggested Hazel got her revenge on Molla by training Helen Wills to beat Molla. Mallory's dark looks make one wonder if she was of Lapp origin. She favored dark tops and a page boy hair cut. This pic may be from 1921. I base the date on the background of this picture. The large stadium in the background looks like the bowl at Forest Hills. The women first played there in 1921.

Last edited by Rollo : Nov 11th, 2009 at 04:48 AM.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 05:04 AM   #57
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Elizabeth "Bessie" Moore was a stalwart of the early 1900s. She won the US nationals in 1896, 1901, 1903, 1905

A softer looking pic from the Hall of Fame site:

From the Hall of Fame bio

In 1901, she beat Marion Jones in the all-comers final, 4-6, 1-6, 9-7, 9-7, 6-3 (58 games, the longest of all major women's finals), then defender Myrtle McAteer in the challenge round, 6-4, 3-6, 7-5, 2-6, 6-2, to become the lone woman to play five-set matches on successive days.

The 105 games alarmed the men who ran the USTA. They decreed best-of-three-set finals thereafter. Moore and the other women hadn't complained about five-set matches and she said they felt "dissatisfied" by the decision and patronized by the male establishment. Moore a right-hander, was born March 5, 1876, in Brooklyn, NY, and died January 22, 1959, in Starke, FL. She was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1971.In 1901, she beat Marion Jones in the all-comers final, 4-6, 1-6, 9-7, 9-7, 6-3 (58 games, the longest of all major women's finals), then defender Myrtle McAteer in the challenge round, 6-4, 3-6, 7-5, 2-6, 6-2, to become the lone woman to play five-set matches on successive days.

The 105 games alarmed the men who ran the USTA. They decreed best-of-three-set finals thereafter. Moore and the other women hadn't complained about five-set matches and she said they felt "dissatisfied" by the decision and patronized by the male establishment. Moore a right-hander, was born March 5, 1876, in Brooklyn, NY, and died January 22, 1959, in Starke, FL. She was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1971.

Last edited by Rollo : Nov 11th, 2009 at 05:09 AM.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 05:12 AM   #58
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Mary Browne "Brownie", won the US nationals 3 years running from 1912 to 1914. I count ten large buttons on her skirt here! This is a gem of a photo IMO.

Old Nov 11th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #59
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
A view of the US Women's Nationals when it was still held in Philadelphia. The site still exists as a boy's school

Great photo Rollo- and I am well impressed by the size of the crowds!!!!!
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #60
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Hazel Hotchkiss Wightman and Molla Mallory c 1915 -this was the year the Nordic Iron Maiden Mola Bjurstedt (later Mallory) shocked all by storming to title after title. She had seemingly appeared out of nowhere, entering the US Indoors in March. She is listed as a maseuse in more than one instance!

Great stuff Rollo.:worship It would be interesting to know how Wightman felt about Bjurstedt when she arrived in the United States? I mean she was such a young girl from a country with no tennis pedigree( and still none, much as I love Norway). It must have been quite a readjustment for the American players.